livid...

If someone is doing multiple of these just to prevent you from passing, for extended lengths at time, with nothing on the line, early on, that's not racing. If it's the last lap or 2 of a race, sure, then by all means, I have no issue with a couple blocks, defensive techniques like backing up your corners, maximizing your exits, etc. But as I explicitly pointed out above, if you're using these tactics on the first 2-3 laps of a 15 lap race, that's not 'racing' in my opinion. It's bad driving, and you deserve the chrome horn.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with driving defensive lines lap after lap. If you think you're faster, use your speed to get past.
If you want to drive that way, lap after lap, then come to GTP and cry about how someone ran into the back of you, and pretend you have no clue why, you're so innocent, it's all their fault, and it's the games fault, the system doesn't work, wah wah wah... be my guest. I'm not that naive. If I were driving like that for laps at a time, and someone had finally had enough, I'm not going to pretend I don't know why it happened.
There's no need to pretend not to know why it happened. We all know why it happened - an overly aggressive driver who thinks they have the right to drive wherever they want didn't have the talent to get past fairly and used his car as a weapon instead.

Being the fastest car on the track is a skill. Defending your position is a skill. Overtaking is a skill.

Battering into people, whether 'defending' or 'passing' isn't.

I just wish for all drivers to be ghosted at the beginning of the race until the pack is settled. The rest of the race is fine but the first 30 seconds or so are where my SR is negatively affected because people love dive bombing/smacking the back of me as I brake.

I must admit with 13 races done, 7 wins, 4 poles and 5? fastest laps and only 2 races that were not "clean" I'm finding that the Japanese guys are actually very good!! Its rare I race against any Aussie or NZ drivers door to door, its mainly the Japanese guys and they have all been wonderful. I had a brilliant race on Blue Moon Speedway (admittedly we had a little bit of rubbing, but it was totally acceptable touring car stuff). As much as I would prefer to race with my European and US brethren, maybe its best to stay with the Japanese and enjoy the mainly clean racing!! They are bloody fast though!! top 10 times are always very hectic and full of no one but Japanese.

Battering into people, whether 'defending' or 'passing' isn't.

If you're going to dumb down my entire stance on this subject with statements like this, then there's no point trying to have a civilized debate with you.

You're using the best case scenario of your side, against the worst case scenario of my side, and trying to use it as a blanket statement to dismiss my opinion. You are strawmanning, and I want no part in it.

We aren't talking about a clean driver who just runs a defensive line, as justification to 'batter' into him as the only means to get by him. That's garbage driving, and a garbage rebuttal. As I've made blatantly clear, we're talking about people who use multiple bad habits to 'block' or 'hold up' drivers with malicious intention, for extended lengths of time, when the race isn't on the line. I shouldn't have to explain every detail or make a list, but since it's come to this, here we go.

If a driver who knows you have a 1/4 car length on the inside, cuts across your nose.
If a driver who knows you have a 1/4 car length on the outside, drives wide.
If you get a run down the straight, and they subtly veer towards your direction, to squeeze, pinch, destroy your corner entry angle, or push you onto a curb/grass/wall/barrier.
If they brake check you early into a corner, to try and gain a gap.
If they swerve to block you, when you've used the draft or momentum on exit to begin an overtake.
If I spend 2 full laps getting by you squeaky clean, and in the very next turn after I overtake you, you dive bomb me, to take your spot back.
There are plenty more examples and things I, and I'm sure many of you, have experienced.

Any single one of these, fine. Multiple of these, occurring multiple times, in combination with targeted race lines that are slowing you both down while the pack ahead drives away... and in my opinion, you will begin to earn a 'bump'. Not a batter, not a dump, not a pit maneuver, spin or wreck. A small love tap directly to the center of your bumper. Doesn't even have to be in a corner, or entry, sometimes it's not even about moving them, but to let them know you're fed up with a moving road block in front of you. Sometimes just to apply enough pressure to force them to make a mistake of their own hand, get them to get on the gas too soon on exit, of drive in too deep, etc. You've exhausted your clean passing attempts, and they have squandered your patience.

In this scenario, if you are this driver, and you do these things (emphasis on the plural) I have no shame, in giving you a bump.

I am NOT talking about battering into people.
I am NOT talking about a clean driver who is just too equally matched for me to get around.
I'm talking about people who make targeted maneuvers to impede your progress.
I'm not afraid to use my car, to let those people know how I feel.
I wasn't afraid to in a real car, and I sure as hell won't be afraid to in a virtual one.

Sometimes... you deserve it. That's all there really is to it.
Sometimes, you'll have a better race, if you just let the faster guy get by, and draft him back to the pack that you let get away by insisting you 'defend'. Because to some people defending 6th place for 3 laps losing ground to the 3 cars in front of you, was more important, than being in 7th while catching those same cars. Just because it's 'clean' or 'legally defensive' doesn't mean it's good, smart, or respectable racing.

Back on topic... did anyone actually have input on the question I asked.
Does anyone else notice that your DR/SR have an impact on your penalties and SR sector indicators?
Example if an A-A driver and a C-C driver collide, that the C-C driver will be more heavily penalized, because the game assumes more fault was theirs. (Fake example for clarity)

You are strawmanning, and I want no part in it.
A strawman is when you invent a position not stated and attack that instead of the statements actually made.

It's not a strawman if you have actually said these things.

I have a theory that SR and Penalties, are pre-adjusted for different SR and DR.

We already know the game calculates 'ghosting' more or less aggressively depending on your SR/DR.

I believe there is a chance, that penalties and sector SR flags, are effected by your overall SR/DR.

For example, let's say a collision on track occurs between an A-A driver, and a B-B driver, I believe that if the B-B driver was the following car, that they will get a more aggressive penalty than the A-A driver would. I think there's a chance, that the same collision can result in a green sector for 1 car, and a orange sector for another. If an A-S driver rear ends another A-S driver, there might not even be an SR flag detected for the sector at all, but if a C-B driver makes the same exact contact to that A-S driver, there would be a penalty incurred. One step further, if the same contact occurred between two C-B drivers, and two A-S drivers, that perhaps both C-B drivers get penalties and SR orange sectors, but nothing would happen to either A-S driver, despite the same exact contact/collision.

I have no proof or evidence of this, other than the drastic difference I experience in game, versus the vast majority of people on this forum every day. I'm only DR:B, SR:S. I never alter my driving style in attempt to manipulate my SR. I am an aggressive driver, I will bump you on accident because I over drive entry's, and I will bump you on purpose if I feel it's warranted. (Let me emphasize bump, I won't spin/wreck you, but I'll give you a tap off the driving line, and get you 'out of shape' and go around. #CircleTrackMentality) I regularly have races and sectors with contact, and it doesn't result in SR drops, and more often than not, I don't even get orange sectors. I've never had my SR drop since I got to S.

Long story short, does anyone else think that having a higher DR/SR results in a lot more forgiving SR/Penalty system in their races?
That's quite the leap of an assumption you made, but I suppose that's life. The scenario you explained, I never would have touched you. 'When warranted' does not mean 'this guys just as fast as me, the only way I can pass him is to wreck him.'

'When warranted' means if you're hogging the road, excessive blocking, or purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us.
Bolded, right there, you say you'll "bump someone on purpose" - which you clarify to mean "tap them off the driving line" - if they are "purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race" if they "know that the car behind is faster" and they "refuse to yield".

They're not required to yield to a faster car behind. Defensive driving is a skill. Giving them a "bump" or "tap" off the driving line is just bad driving.

A strawman is when you invent a position not stated and attack that instead of the statements actually made.

It's not a strawman if you have actually said these things.

So what you're saying is you think 'tap off line' and 'battering into people' are synonymous?
Or did you invent that position for me?

bat·ter1
ˈbadər/
verb
gerund or present participle: battering
  1. strike repeatedly with hard blows; pound heavily and insistently.
    "a prisoner was battered to death with a table leg"
    synonyms: pummel, pound, hit repeatedly, buffet, thrash, beat up, clobber, trounce

'When warranted' means if you're hogging the road, excessive blocking, or purposely taking defensive lines repeatedly through a race, because you know the car behind you is faster, and you refuse to yield, or insist on forcing side by side racing on lap 2, while the lead pack drives away from us.

Im sorry but you started off with the above and have moved the goal posts your now playing rugby.

Back on topic..

This isn’t off topic, its just become something you don’t want to talk about.

Ah, I love it when they go to the dictionary. I prefer this definition:

Batter
noun uk /ˈbæt.ər/ us /ˈbæt̬.ɚ/
batter noun (FOOD)
A mixture of flour, eggs, and milk, used to make pancakes or to cover food before frying it:

So what you're saying is you think 'tap off line' and 'battering into people' are synonymous?
Or did you invent that position for me?
Where did I ascribe that position to you? I said that battering into people isn't a skill, I didn't say that you were doing it or that you thought it was acceptable.

Have another try at deflecting attention away from the fact that you said you will deliberately bump people if they're driving defensively and won't yield to you.

Happens all the time in BTCC and V8 Supercars…

Both of those you mention are both basically those respective countries version of Nascar in the U.S. The running into each other is what attracts the fans. And yes even Nascar runs a couple of races a year on road courses.

I've spent the last 2 weeks bouncing from B to C to B to C and then today I got relegated to D... I just don't know what this game expects from its players. I brake early when following closely behind others to avoid collisions, I never divebomb up the inside and only make that inside maneuver if I'm able to first get alongside, and I always think twice before making basically any passing maneuver cause I want to avoid contact and the game abusing me with its BS SR system.

Yet I'm constantly divebombed up the inside and used as a wall (happened literally 4 times in one race today), often knocking me into the grass and effectively taking me out of the race, and very often whenever I make a nice pass on someone I just get divebombed the next corner when there's no passing option available. Twice today (and several times before) I got rammed from behind and pushed off the track (already losing SR points) only to promptly be awarded a 10 second time penalty upon returning to the track via the most reasonable route. In another race I bumped into a player who slowed down out of nowhere on the final "straight" (I'd learn he had a penalty) at Interlagos (really nowhere no go during those tight bends) and of course I lose SR. And then I had another instance of accidentally cutting just a bit of the inside of the 3rd corner at the Nurburgring and was slapped with the usual 5 second penalty despite truly gaining nothing from it and having no other car fighting within 2 seconds of me. Sure, that one's my fault but must I suffer 5 seconds from a tiny mistake? Maybe 1 second but jesus... and you can't even lift or brake right after to take away any possible advantage cause you're still slapped with the same penalty regardless.

The rating really means nothing though. The first week or so I remember having a bunch of races with C drivers in a row that weren't too bad and then I got upgraded to B. I expected everyone to be a step higher in terms of clean racing and then three different drivers totally did me wrong by divebombing me or using me as a wall and I instantly got relegated to C after the one race. It's just a horrible, horrible system and I wish there were an actual GT mode so I wouldn't have to deal so much with this BS as the main part of the game.

He just ran out of fuel at Interlagos.

I noticed this happening a lot last night. Car issue or people messing with their fuel mapping?
You had to save fuel unless you drove a Z4/R8/Citroën/FT-1... You had to run leaner fuel modes in the slower sectors in most other cars. It was very poorly done by PD. 4X would have made it more of a challenge.

I was the lead car and I could pull out enough where I was fast to get just far enough in front to be able to take the inside and protect that inner line where he was faster and hold the lead. We went this way for 3 laps and it was fun intense racing that a slip up by either racer would have given the other the break they needed to be clear. At the end I slipped just enough in the next to last corner he got his nose under me and it was enough for him to hold the position and beat me to the finish line.

If that driver had of had the same mentality towards what is clean and acceptable as you have we both would have missed out on some really great intense close clean racing.

I think that I was the other car in that race; your name looks familiar. I was in a Mazda Atenza, and it was close right up to that little chicane before the last hairpin bend.

You've exhausted your clean passing attempts, and they have squandered your patience.

Because to some people defending 6th place for 3 laps losing ground to the 3 cars in front of you, was more important, than being in 7th while catching those same cars. Just because it's 'clean' or 'legally defensive' doesn't mean it's good, smart, or respectable )

Case in point is if you have exhausted your clean passing attempts and have lost your patience then again it is apparent that their race pace and racing line is sufficient to to warrant that, you do not deserve to advance you racing position.
No matter how you try to paint it if you cannot pass the leading cleanly and must resort to bumping, nudging, forcing or bulldozing them out of the way then you are the exact type of racer that should be in the lowest class of SR ratings and then you can race against other racers with your same mindset.

Only then do not come back and complain about how dirty the racing is down there, the game has made provisions and rankings for those that think rubbing is racing and they have made rankings for those that think any contact besides purely accidental is too much contact.

Also as far a a racer is concerned I have more respect for the clean racer that defends and finishes 6th cleanly than one that wins by bulldozing their way to the front. Which one do you think is the better racer?

I think that I was the other car in that race; your name looks familiar. I was in a Mazda Atenza, and it was close right up to that little chicane before the last hairpin bend.

Sounds right, I was driving a Viper. If so that was some awesome racing and you deserved the position! I was able to get just enough out of the Viper in the right places to just to hold you back until right at the end and bow to your skills to pull off taking the position right at the end! It was loads of fun and you for sure earned the advancement!

Case in point is if you have exhausted your clean passing attempts and have lost your patience then again it is apparent that their race pace and racing line is sufficient to to warrant that, you do not deserve to advance you racing position.
No matter how you try to paint it if you cannot pass the leading cleanly and must resort to bumping, nudging, forcing or bulldozing them out of the way then you are the exact type of racer that should be in the lowest class of SR ratings and then you can race against other racers with your same mindset.

You aren't listening and I don't care anymore. If I try to pass you clean, and you blatantly block, swerve, brake check, cut me off, shove me onto grass, curbs, or against walls, multiple times you don't deserve your racing position either, and I have no sympathy for drivers who get a taste of their own medicine.

If you race clean and I can't pass you clean, I'll never intentionally touch you. Read that again. Take a breath. I'm referring to people who refuse to let you pass clean and call it 'defensive' when they're actually 'dirty'.

Isn’t there a “pick a lane and race in it” general rule for racing? I understand a block move, but if you block like 4 times in a straight isn’t that dirty racing?

Immediate search results:
“the reasons for throwing an open black are relatively straightforward. Blatantly driving another car off course, exceeding pit lane speed limits, excessive blocking”

That’s about exactly what I understand Adrenaline is trying to say the other car is doing. As he’s passing them they veer him onto the grass (off the course), excessive blocking, etc. In real racing wouldn’t they get black flagged for that stuff? It sounds like he’s saying he would just nudge them into an unnatural line to move them the heck out of the way.

Last edited:
Generally, you can change your line once and you can get back on the racing line on corner entry if you’re clear of the car behind or you must hold your line if a car is beside you. Weaving is not clean racing. You’re also not supposed to change your line in braking zones to block or crash other drivers in a sweeping motion. Please tell me if I’m wrong ;)

Generally, you can change your line once and you can get back on the racing line on corner entry if you’re clear of the car behind or you must hold your line if a car is beside you. Weaving is not clean racing. You’re also not supposed to change your line in braking zones to block or crash other drivers in a sweeping motion. Please tell me if I’m wrong ;)

Exactly, I’m missing why adrenaline is getting so much hate, is he just not liked on the forum and it’s sport to bash him? Sorry I’m new here

Exactly, I’m missing why adrenaline is getting so much hate, is he just not liked on the forum and it’s sport to bash him? Sorry I’m new here

Maybe because there are so many kamikazes in Sport Mode that everyone is tired of being hit and any comment that seems like it’s condoning some form of contact is heavily frowned upon? I don’t know. But blocking is legal as long as you pick a lane and hold it until you can rejoin the ideal race line. I block sometimes to kill the other driver’s run and I often get rammed as they don’t seem to understand how racing is supposed to be. I never push people off track and I watch my radar non stop to be sure the other driver is not alongside me. You get to know how most players behave online. I’ll let pass the clean drivers but if someone has been hitting me in previous races. I’ll be driving as defensively as possible without risking both our races. There should be a real racing tutorial in the racing etiquette thing. Rubbing is racing up to a certain point.

Some of the most memorable racing moments have involved drivers racing defensively but respectfully. If you’re behind, you have to keep a safe margin with the car in front especially if you don’t know the driver of that car. Etc. I’ll stop there.

Maybe because there are so many kamikazes in Sport Mode that everyone is tired of being hit and any comment that seems like it’s condoning some form of contact is heavily frowned upon? I don’t know. But blocking is legal as long as you pick a lane and hold it until you can rejoin the ideal race line. I block sometimes to kill the other driver’s run and I often get rammed as they don’t seem to understand how racing is supposed to be. I never push people off track and I watch my radar non stop to be sure the other driver is not alongside me. You get to know how most players behave online. I’ll let pass the clean drivers but if someone has been hitting me in previous races. I’ll be driving as defensively as possible without risking both our races. There should be a real racing tutorial in the racing etiquette thing. Rubbing is racing up to a certain point.

Some of the most memorable racing moments have involved drivers racing defensively but respectfully. If you’re behind, you have to keep a safe margin with the car in front especially if you don’t know the driver of that car. Etc. I’ll stop there.

Yeah I hear the frustration. I just started sport, so my driver rating is less than my actual skill and MAN do I get punted often. I wonder if anyone watched the forced video about being a torpedo at all. I absolutely get that frustration, but if someone is passing me or has their nose under me I’m absolutely not coming down or up on them to push them off. From what I can tell, he’s talking about people doing exactly that type of stuff to him and probably ruining both of their driver / sportsmanship rating.

I mean he said he was S rating for sportsmanship, doesn’t that kind of guarantee he’s not bumping / wrecking people as a habit?

If you race clean and I can't pass you clean, I'll never intentionally touch you. Read that again. Take a breath. I'm referring to people who refuse to let you pass clean and call it 'defensive' when they're actually 'dirty'.

I can accept that and fully be on board. In your earlier post you did not convey that message only in my and it seems others interpretations that if you felt a racer was holding you up driving what you considered a slower pace taking defensive lines early race particularly and the lead pack was getting away it and you could not find a way to quickly pass cleanly it sounded as if nudging the lead car out of the way was acceptable to attempt to have a good race finish.

No one likes to race with people that have no qualms about using the bulldozer and dive bombing methods to advance their positions and most racers that do try to race clean would like to see the penalties for such behavior in race be much harsher from what I can tell by reading multiple threads and post that broach on the subject.

Glad to hear that what it seemed you conveyed was hopefully incorrect in how you actually race!

That's interesting. I'm in servers crammed full of Americans, Canadians and Brazilians and the majority of my races are pretty clean. It's my fault more often than not when I get involved in an accident and even then it's mostly just love taps. Probably just the time I play at, since the kids are off being irrelevant they can give me clean runs so that's just one observation.

No one is trying to bash any one because of dislike or who they are.

People want clean racing within the rules and with a sense of sportsmanship and respect for your competitors on the track.

Someone that conveys through their post that contact and bulldozing to clear a racing line is an acceptable behavior on the track will not get favorable replies as there are too many right now actually showing that behavior on track messing up the racing for those that try to race cleanly as possible.

There will always be incidents through mistakes or misjudging a situation but intentional contact is poor sportsmanship.

I just wish for all drivers to be ghosted at the beginning of the race until the pack is settled. The rest of the race is fine but the first 30 seconds or so are where my SR is negatively affected because people love dive bombing/smacking the back of me as I brake.
Well, the start is probably the most exciting part of an entire race. In real life, they screw up as well. So it's not exactly a new thing to see. Most of the real action happens right then and there. It's what decides placement for the entire race almost. Ghosting everybody I wouldn't really work as it would take a little bit of that fun out of it.

i had a funny race today. this weaving idiot kept me behind the 7th spot even though he was slow as hell. i knew he would ram me so i just kept feinting cuts to openings that weren't' there, making him ricochet like a pinball on the course. every time he would come back onto the course he would try to ram me, so i had to keep backed up and re-attack while never committing. at the end of the race he had a 12 second penalty and i took 5th. i was dying laughing at the score screen.

Man... I'm so ****ing frustrated right now... An hour ago I was a B-B driver. Now I'm a C-D because people don't know how to ****ing drive why play sport mode if you too dumb to grasp the concept of racing clean. I usually have all positive to say about this game but after back to back races where people just smash into you..block from passing and use you to help them corner man im so ****ing frustrated. My word this is such ********. Now I'm going to have to grind my way through last place clean race finishes just to climb back into B... There has got to be a way to make this better it's ****ing ********. I grind and grind just for a bad race with **** drivers to bring me back down again. Sick of this ****.
Exactly why I do not do Sport Races, controlled lobbies way better. Sport rating means nothing anyway except how tolerant you are to keep at it.

Exactly why I do not do Sport Races, controlled lobbies way better. Sport rating means nothing anyway except how tolerant you are to keep at it.

I have to disagree,.
One thing I have found to affect the quality of racing within the Sport classes seems to be picking the times of the day or evening that I race.
Seems to be more of a pattern of during certain periods where there more chances of having crashfest mentalities being more prominent in the sport lobbies.

I have avoided most of the nations and manufacture cup events as it seems that many people hear the words points and world rankings then any type of sportsmanship goes out the window and the bulldozers are one of the main vehicles of choice.

I personally also only race online on tracks and with cars I feel I know well enough to not through being unfamiliar will mess up someone's race due to my lack of preparation to be able to race cleanly.

An online race is not the venue to learn a new course or the handling characteristics of a new to you car or tuning set up.

Using my logic and racing during what I think are the best times I find that about 8 or 9 out of 10 races I run online are very good races with little to no intentional ramming or bulldozing. About 1or possibly 2 races out of 10 you will usually find a tool or two that will be totally out of control driving way over their head or some that have the bulldozer mentality and both of those types be aware of contact or being rammed at any point of the race.

I do have a SR ranking of S which I am sure helps. It is not uncommon here recently to have multiple races in a row where you are racing in the pack and at the end of the race collect the "clean race bonus".

To me that shows that you can race among strangers, race close and race clean.

Even i think region is the key here. I have had my fare share of bad races coz of some guys driving like real bad but most of the times its really good,clean and competitive.

Has to be region thing. Maybe your region has bad drivers.

Latest Posts

Back