Logitech Challenge-US players, free suff.

• Thread starter superwally
  • 250 comments
So, do we know who the "winners" are? Has Logitech made some sort of announcement or will they let those who competed know who won?

In the rules, they stated that the winners would not be announced until the end of the 3 week event.

I don't think you can blame Logitech for this. Setting the rules is only useful if they are enforceable and let's be honest, how do you really know if someone touched the wall or not without some support from the game itself? Even with GT-4 with the ability to freeze the action and pan around the car, and analyze g-forces, it was pretty difficult at times.

In a major competition like this if they tried to enforce anything that subjective, guess where it would end up. In a law suit in court! This is the USA after all.

Letting the rules be whatever the game allows is really their only choice. If people choose to exploit that to win a prize you may not respect them but you can hardly blame them.

Watch an NBA game sometime, the amount of pushing and shoving is amazing, but the referees let it go. Where I come from these guys would be fouled off before the end of the first quarter. If the coaches advised their players to play clean that's very noble but they're putting themselves at a disadvantage, so I seriously doubt they would even if they were very unhappy about letting it go.

Hi all, I’m Chris Pate from Logitech, product manager for the Driving Force GT (and G25) racing wheel. I’d like to thank everyone who has participated both in the event and in the discussion surrounding it for their enthusiasm and passion for the game. We’re very happy to have been able to bring this contest to the OLR community with the help of SCEA and Polyphony, and are excited about the possibility of doing something similar again in the future. As part of that, I’m taking in all of your feedback and will be using it to help improve any future events that we sponsor.

I've been reading the various sites hosting commentary on the event, including GTPlanet, and would like to directly answer two of the more frequent questions. I just posted this as a reply to a comment on the Logitech Blog, and I figured I'd post it here as well since there's been a significant amount of discussion about it here.

The issue of wall contact is a tough one. While Logitech does not at all approve of cheating in GT5:P or any other game, we won’t be reviewing ghost laps for wall contact as it would add a significant element of subjectivity. As such, there will be no disqualifications or changes to player rankings for racing line decisions. The decision to uphold the game’s own penalty system for this event was made in the interest of ensuring a level playing field for all drivers.

The goal with the physics model selection is to allow drivers of all levels to compete and have a shot at winning. As the weeks progress, the difficulty will increase. For the first week, we used exactly the same settings that were used in the Japanese version of this contest. For week 2 (Eiger), the physics model will remain at standard, but racers will be required to use cars with more horsepower and will be restricted to N2 tires, which have less grip and will make keeping a clean line more necessary. For week 3 (Suzuka), the physics model will be set at professional, you’ll be racing supercars, and those cars will be restricted to N3 tires – again, more slippery tires with greater horsepower for more challenge.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who has participated in and commented on this event. The energy, dedication and passion that the community shows for online racing in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is exceptional, and we greatly appreciate being able to participate in that. We are hopeful that we will be able to continue to work with Sony to bring similar activities to the community in the future.

-Chris

My first thought is, I am disappointed that my clean lap will not be considered. My Second is, I do understand the logic behind not deleting laps. My third thought would be, I am very glad that its going to be hard over the weeks to come.

Final thought, I hope when they say SUPER CAR, they mean the GT LM or F2007. :)

Thank you.

Copied and posted at the US playstation.com GT forum ;)

Let them know too :) Thanks

EDIT: Know this information I could go run some laps in the Competition and get to 2nd place.. But I am not like that. :)

Last edited:
My first thought is, I am disappointed that my clean lap will not be considered. My Second is, I do understand the logic behind not deleting laps. My third thought would be, I am very glad that its going to be hard over the weeks to come.

Final thought, I hope when they say SUPER CAR, they mean the GT LM or F2007. :)

Thank you.

Let them know too :) Thanks

Almost what I was thinking to bad your not going to get anything for running a clean lap. Just because of these no good cheaters. I cant wait for the pro event myself. The std events are just dumb, the physics themselves shouldnt even be in the game in my opinion.

That's just great :crazy: And the clean drivers get rewarded with absolutely nothing as I imagined before. I doubht I'll be wasting any of my time competing :yuck:...as it seriously is a WASTE of time, unless you decide to short cut your way to the top...

If you guys feel like spending some time on a quality time trial...look at competing in the "Enhance Your Skills" time trials. Nothing to win here, so you may as well at least have a good time while you're doing your laps...unless of course you get off on Standard physics or trying to compete with people who will do anything to win :lol:

Suzuka might make for a reputable TT, but I'm sure the drivers with bad etiquette will still find some way of cutting corners to win :rolleyes: Like I said before, it's not cheating unless the rules state otherwise...UNFORTUNATELY :crazy:

Last edited:
at least we know the rules for the next two.

well I managed to post a time on eiger, 4+ seconds off the lead, but I think that's good enough to get me into the raffle. Think I'll kind of sit this week out. Physics are leaving my wheel at a bit of a disadvantage.

Solution...💡 don't pick HSR!!! :dunce:

Also, could Logitec and SCEA make a better effort to host contests that are inclusive of all of North America. As a Canadian, It hurts :ouch: to see these contest there in my list of online events, and not have a chance at winning anything. There are legalities involved, but it is possible. If not possible, please do something for those left out in the cold :nervous:

Edit: Now to take my fight to the logitec blog

Last edited:
It's not just High Speed Ring though, is it (I'm not sure) ? I though cheaters could shortcut Daytona Road (at the bus stop), Fuji (at the tight chicane) and Suzuka (straight across the grass after turn 1)... is it possible to lap faster at these tracks by doing it?

May I suggest checking the replays of the top times (ones I guess that would / could win) ? Or perhaps, have a known fast racer set a bench mark. Anything faster should be validated. Also, regarding checking for cheaters - it should be obvious. Also, may I suggest the rules and what's acceptable / unacceptable (set out in GTP Race Events) as a guideline :)

It's not just High Speed Ring though, is it (I'm not sure) ? I though cheaters could shortcut Daytona Road (at the bus stop), Fuji (at the tight chicane) and Suzuka (straight across the grass after turn 1)... is it possible to lap faster at these tracks by doing it?

May I suggest checking the replays of the top times (ones I guess that would / could win) ? Or perhaps, have a known fast racer set a bench mark. Anything faster should be validated. Also, regarding checking for cheaters - it should be obvious. Also, may I suggest the rules and what's acceptable / unacceptable (set out in GTP Race Events) as a guideline :)

Fortunately :odd: those cheats are only abused in online races 👎 , and not Time Trials 👍

As disappointing as the answer is, I greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks Logitech_Chris 👍

Getting and answer directly from industry is a rare occurence, thank you for clearing things up.

As disappointing as the answer is, I greatly appreciate the feedback. Thanks Logitech_Chris 👍

Getting and answer directly from industry is a rare occurence, thank you for clearing things up.
Seconded.

Thanks for taking the time to sign up and give some feedback, Chris. 👍

this is so f'ing funny!!! A GTP'er won ( or got 2nd anyway). even if it wasnt his gtp tag, how mad are you guys at him??? like i said days ago,the logitech guy confirmed my thought, they used HSR so begginers would expoit the game. i got 7th i think, but i was beating every one into last turn on tuesday morning, but couldnt bang the wall hard enough apparently. i am also happy logitech didnt care what the ouside world thought of their sham of a tt. this is so FUNNY!!

Never the less, it shows that you shouldn't speak so soon man. Never celebrate until the fat lady sings. Good luck on the next event. EERS4Years...I would like to race you online some day..Use the GTP chat, I am always there.

Chad

lmao, dont worry. suzuka will separate the boys from the men. no walls to ride you miss ur braking point and you'll be delivering sand a gravel to the next corner.

I just posted an answer to the question about Canada on our blog as well. Text is below.

Limiting the contest to U.S. participants only was based on a couple of factors. Canadian laws for contests and sweepstakes (particularly in Quebec) are very different from those in the U.S. We had a limited amount of time in which to develop the legal documentation for the contest rules, and ensuring full compliance with Canadian law would have pushed out the start date of the event past the window in which we were able to run it. Given these factors, we had to make the difficult decision to restrict participation to U.S. residents only. We understand and appreciate that there are many dedicated GT fans outside the U.S. and are sorry that we were not able to accommodate everyone in this particular event. Also, we are paying attention to all the feedback we’re seeing, and hope to use it in future events and contests.

I just posted an answer to the question about Canada on our blog as well. Text is below.

Limiting the contest to U.S. participants only was based on a couple of factors. Canadian laws for contests and sweepstakes (particularly in Quebec) are very different from those in the U.S. We had a limited amount of time in which to develop the legal documentation for the contest rules, and ensuring full compliance with Canadian law would have pushed out the start date of the event past the window in which we were able to run it. Given these factors, we had to make the difficult decision to restrict participation to U.S. residents only. We understand and appreciate that there are many dedicated GT fans outside the U.S. and are sorry that we were not able to accommodate everyone in this particular event. Also, we are paying attention to all the feedback we’re seeing, and hope to use it in future events and contests.

Wow! 👍 We're so used to the deafening silence from PD on any litte detail, like contest intricacies. Thank you for having the guts to come out and address reasonable questions. Yey progress!!! :dopey:

I don't quite see a commitment to a multi-national contest, but thanks for considering it. I hope it is just a matter of planning far enough ahead, and not a 'market share' issue.:nervous:

this makes me very happy!!! you canadians get free health care and tons of hed shops, after Michael Moore's movies i was ready to move up north, but i need a chance to cheat and bang my way into a free wheel.

I don't quite see a commitment to a multi-national contest, but thanks for considering it. I hope it is just a matter of planning far enough ahead, and not a 'market share' issue.:nervous:
Mostly it's that I'm not able to discuss things (products, events, software features) that have not been officially announced via a press release, blog post, or some other means. Again, we greatly appreciate our Canadian customers and fans, and hope to be able to include you in anything like this we might do in the future.

I'm glad I bought a G25! You guys are top notch!👍

So true, acknowledgement goes a long ways even if it's not what we wanted to hear. 👍 Especially us that never hear anything from PD.

Last edited:
Hi all, I’m Chris Pate from Logitech, product manager for the Driving Force GT (and G25) racing wheel. I’d like to thank everyone who has participated both in the event and in the discussion surrounding it for their enthusiasm and passion for the game. We’re very happy to have been able to bring this contest to the OLR community with the help of SCEA and Polyphony, and are excited about the possibility of doing something similar again in the future. As part of that, I’m taking in all of your feedback and will be using it to help improve any future events that we sponsor.

I've been reading the various sites hosting commentary on the event, including GTPlanet, and would like to directly answer two of the more frequent questions. I just posted this as a reply to a comment on the Logitech Blog, and I figured I'd post it here as well since there's been a significant amount of discussion about it here.

The issue of wall contact is a tough one. While Logitech does not at all approve of cheating in GT5:P or any other game, we won’t be reviewing ghost laps for wall contact as it would add a significant element of subjectivity. As such, there will be no disqualifications or changes to player rankings for racing line decisions. The decision to uphold the game’s own penalty system for this event was made in the interest of ensuring a level playing field for all drivers.

The goal with the physics model selection is to allow drivers of all levels to compete and have a shot at winning. As the weeks progress, the difficulty will increase. For the first week, we used exactly the same settings that were used in the Japanese version of this contest. For week 2 (Eiger), the physics model will remain at standard, but racers will be required to use cars with more horsepower and will be restricted to N2 tires, which have less grip and will make keeping a clean line more necessary. For week 3 (Suzuka), the physics model will be set at professional, you’ll be racing supercars, and those cars will be restricted to N3 tires – again, more slippery tires with greater horsepower for more challenge.

Again, I would like to thank everyone who has participated in and commented on this event. The energy, dedication and passion that the community shows for online racing in Gran Turismo 5 Prologue is exceptional, and we greatly appreciate being able to participate in that. We are hopeful that we will be able to continue to work with Sony to bring similar activities to the community in the future.

-Chris

Chris - :cheers: to you for coming here and explaining this to all of our members. We appreciate your information and dedication. 👍

(A fellow Bay Area resident)
Kevin

WEEK 2:

Wow, this one is hard to be fast..I have learned with the tires & STD Physics you must drift to get the preferred line and exit speed. I don't want to complain, but a real hot lap doesn't really entail drifting and a super grippe effect once wheel slip..

Up to ninth, I know where I can improve, and I hope to edge out another 600th, but I am going to find that the NSX has its limits, and will have to shift to the weird looking hatch back. So sad.

Latest Posts

Back