Logitech in financial trouble. "Discontinue... console peripherals"

• Thread starter paskowitz
  • 227 comments
What kind of company really is Logitech anyways? I seem to remember its a Swiss based company that does some development but has its products manufactured by Chinese OEMs.

A strong brand doesn't make necessarily a strong company.

These times will pass. I work in finance on Wall Street. Trust me, in 2 years things will be back to normal.

Didn't they say the same thing in 2008? :scared:

I don't pretend to know much about high finance, but I can tell you the racing community has suffered a lot since 2008, which means much less disposable income. Maybe that's why the sim community has taken off so well :)

These times will pass. I work in finance on Wall Street. Trust me, in 2 years things will be back to normal.

They won't. The only lesson learned is that mum will step in and pay the bills if the naughty children burnt the paycheck. Wrong doings haven't had any consequences. So, why bother playing by the rules? Indeed, why have any rules at all?

Trust me, we are on a downward spiral.

Ouch :banghead: question though will they still maintain and repair Old wheels providing that cutting production will lead to lack of spares?

On another note , big hole for Fanatec and Thrustmaster to fill ,G25/27 are great just above entry level FFB wheels .alot of people don't have the money for a T500 or a GT(insert number) and want a better wheel than the DFGT.

On another note , big hole for Fanatec and Thrustmaster to fill ,G25/27 are great just above entry level FFB wheels .alot of people don't have the money for a T500 or a GT(insert number) and want a better wheel than the DFGT.

Well, I don't really see Fanatec as an option. Not reliable enough and seriously overpriced. Got a Wheelstand and they didn't even get to fit a screw in a hole. Nope, better start saving for a Thrustmaster. That or a Toyota GT 86 :)

Well, I don't really see Fanatec as an option. Not reliable enough and seriously overpriced. Got a Wheelstand and they didn't even get to fit a screw in a hole. Nope, better start saving for a Thrustmaster. That or a Toyota GT 86 :)

:lol:

LOL 2008? Thats when this entire mess started. It will get better. We just need to make another contract with Satan, our current one is due for renewal. haha

R.I.P to Logitech wheels
The G25/27 are designed to work with the PC and are not console peripherals.
It may be argued as that, and I hope that's the case because it would mean that technically we would be losing only one wheel but Logitech might just throw the G25/27 into the gaming pile and discontinue them too.

LOL 2008? Thats when this entire mess started. It will get better. We just need to make another contract with Satan, our current one is due for renewal. haha

In other words let's start world war 3. The others started as well after economic crises. After all, it would be easier to recruit cannon fodder when people and/pr their families are hungry, ill or for other reasons in need of money.
Remember, this is good for the economy in many ways. Lots of destruction and rebuilding that needs to be done. A lot of stuff needs to be produced. Lots of deaths and new borns. Many new technologies have to be invented/used to gain the upper hand. So on all levels of the world wide community it will have a great impact economy wise.

This is the only way to recover from this in 2 years time in my eyes.

A weak Logitech will continue to dominate the market, but not invest in better products.

A dead Logitech opens the entrance market to competitors with new ideas, who can now sell enough to make it profitable.

I know which I'd prefer.

I hope the wheels stay, I've wanted a G27 for ages just haven't been able to afford him. Hopefully Sony or Microsoft buys them.

Sure, start World War 3 just so that we can have our steering wheels back :dopey: .

I never said I was for this solution, did I? I hate conflict, especially with human lives at stake.
Mayaman talked about a contract with Satan. Which often means a solution that will go at the cost of something of high value. Hence my thought of war.
If he knows a better solution, I would be interested to hear about it of course. :)

Finance + Wall Street + trust me.
hahahahaha - yeah right.
isn`t that what Bernie Madoff said just before :ouch::ouch::ouch:

Finance + Wall Street + trust me.
hahahahaha - yeah right.
isn`t that what Bernie Madoff said just before :ouch::ouch::ouch:

Echo that.

Back to the Logitech wheel, the decision they take will ultimately be done by a bean counter on his spreadsheet who is probably not acquainted with sims.

I never said I was for this solution, did I? I hate conflict, especially with human lives at stake.
Mayaman talked about a contract with Satan. Which often means a solution that will go at the cost of something of high value. Hence my thought of war.
If he knows a better solution, I would be interested to hear about it of course. :)

Was meant to be a joke, but I don't know what a serious solution that could actually work would be.

I hope the wheels stay, I've wanted a G27 for ages just haven't been able to afford him. Hopefully Sony or Microsoft buys them.

They are still being sold I think,and you would probably find used ones in good condition.

Does this mean no more newly developed wheels or that the G27 is going out of production? The former I have taken as a given, but the latter would be a sorry day indeed :(

I guess it would depend upon finished goods and parts on hand.

It's probably a safe bet that the G27 will be the last wheel from Logitech(for the foreseeable future at least).
Logitech have always been releasing new & improved wheels over the years, - We went from The MOMO, Driving Force EX, Driving Force Pro, DFGT, G25 and at last the G27.
Now the G27 has been out 3-4 years and no signs of a replacement or effort to compete with the competition.
Logitech was/is probably the only company that could build a new wheel that had the same level of tech as T500RS or CSW / Elite and still come in at under 400$ and it would have bullet proof reliability too. :(

FWIW the old Microsoft wheels in new or great condition sell for surprisingly large amounts of money. Wonder if the same will happen with G27s and DFGTs.

FWIW the old Microsoft wheels in new or great condition sell for surprisingly large amounts of money. Wonder if the same will happen with G27s and DFGTs.

With the mods out there for them by the community? I am sure the prices will stay up there.
Though it will go down when driver support stops probably. After all Microsoft can more easily decide to add support for their own (legacy) products in their latest windows version and/or service packs.
In this case the driver code is in the hands of Logitech, so it might not be as easy to incorporate drivers into Windows (unless MS has a way to use/update old drivers in new Windows version).
Though we would be talking about something that might happen 5 to 10 years from now. So the prices would stay up there for a long time to come I reckon.

With the mods out there for them by the community? I am sure the prices will stay up there.
Though it will go down when driver support stops probably. After all Microsoft can more easily decide to add support for their own (legacy) products in their latest windows version and/or service packs.
In this case the driver code is in the hands of Logitech, so it might not be as easy to incorporate drivers into Windows (unless MS has a way to use/update old drivers in new Windows version).
Though we would be talking about something that might happen 5 to 10 years from now. So the prices would stay up there for a long time to come I reckon.

Well at some point an investment type person could buy a number of them cheap, and just hold them until the market price becomes interesting.

I wouldn't be surprised if sim tech continues to progress over time though, making it more of a vintage / legacy situation.

But it isn't sim racing making them go under its these damn speculators and speculated earnings and all this BS. Pure capitalism is unsustainable and will always lead to failure. Realistic expectations based on real data and company strengths instead of trying to make a few people rich from speculation. Bah!

Stock market speculation doesn't cause a $180m dollar operational deficit. Except maybe in general terms. But even without 08, I expect that the huge boom in tablets has been a bigger blow to Logitech than that.

Many peripheral makers are suffering from the shift in consumer spending away from consoles and PCs towards tablets. They'll need to slim down and focus on their core products to keep going.

And that sucks. The G25/G27 are the only serious wheels available retail in this country... and I quite love my Logitech sound system (attached to my TV). And I've never had reason to ask for anything more than a Logitech optical mouse while gaming. Their "cheap" model lasts forever and a day and has more than enough resolution for competitive FPS playing.

Ah, well. Whatever. Maybe it's my fault. Too busy playing cheap flash games and not buying more toys for my electronics!

Back