Logitek racing wheel question

  • Thread starter Thread starter azshawn17
  • 82 comments
  • 5,856 views
Messages
4
Hey fellow GT fans, I am a huge GT lover; but I have never played the game with a steering wheel. I was just wondering all of your impression on whether or not it is worth a purchase for GT4. And also if you have used it what setup do you use and is it uncomfortable to play for a long time with a wheel. Any advice or suggestions about this perephial would be greatly appreciated. Also which wheel is the best?
 
Logitech Driving Force Pro is the best wheel (900 degree). I suggest to buy for GT4, it's better. You can feel the force feedback. Good handling, 100% for GT4.
 
Yep, that´s right !

I´ve been playing every racing game from TOCA and Gran Turismo 1 to the latest Releases like NFSU2 or DTM Race Driver2 with the controller, because i´ve never been able to realise my "Controller-Lap-Times" with a wheel.

But times have changed !

The new generation of steering wheels is fantastic and above all stands the "Driving Force Pro" from Logitech.

I own one since last friday and the accuracy, the "feeling" and the force-feedback is just great. The force feedback really helps you to feel the under- or oversteering.

I haven´t played much since last friday, but even after a few laps i´m now able to drive a 7:08:XX with the Falken and with the DFP.

My best controller time with the same car is a 6:59:420, so on this huge circuit i´m only loosing 8 Seconds. With some practice i will be able to drive my controller-times but with much more fun !!!!!!!!!!

And i´m still waiting for my "Gamechopper" ! It should be delivered tomorrow !

Then especially the handling of Brake and Throttle will improve !!

If you go to a video-store and rent the DFP for 2 days, you will be amazed.

As already said, i have never been a friend of the steering wheels and i still can´t believe what i´m saying here, but the wheel is great !
 
I'm in the same situation as you azshawn17!!!
I've always played with a controler and I dont know if a change to a steering would be better....And the force feedback of DFP? Is it same compared to a arcade machine or its more smooth?
 
Brioso
I'm in the same situation as you azshawn17!!!
I've always played with a controler and I dont know if a change to a steering would be better....And the force feedback of DFP? Is it same compared to a arcade machine or its more smooth?

Ive never had great success with the wheel, I still drive with the d pad, cant stand the stick, I would say save your money and buy a nice logitec wireless controller!
 
I bought the DFP last monday and I love it. At first I didn't use it too much because of slower lap times, but I had time this weekend to fool around with the settings in GT3. Once I set the steering assist type to simulation it worked beautifully (try this out alexsteffen if you haven't already)
I even had faster lap times for the WRS competition with the wheel.

The one thing I noticed about the wheel was that it was easier to come out of corners in an FR without slipping the back end out. Rather than tapping the controller, You rely on being more smooth when straighting out the wheel at the end of a turn. I also find I have better throttle control with the wheel but not by much.

As for comfort, the wheel itself is not uncomfortable, to me it feels pretty natural. The only thing that's uncomfortable is the chair i'm sitting on. I haven't had the time to find a proper stand for the chair I want to use.

I also tried Prologue with the wheel and it is much better than any controller. The control is even better in Prologue compared to GT3 so I can only imagine what GT4 is going to be like.
 
I also struggle with the same question as azshawn17.... so I was wondering....
Does anybody already have any experience with the speedster 3 force shock wheel from fanatec? This wheel looks great and also has a 900 degree mode.

It costs only a lot less than a DFP.. in holland the fanatec is about € 80,00 and the DFP about € 135,00
 
I'm about to order this "renewed" DFP here

$55 plus shipping. 30 days to return it in case you aren't satisfied. Use the rest of the money to build a wheel stand. :D
 
IMHO the DFP is AMAZING!!! Based on a lot of comments here I picked one up (and i don't even have GT4 yet) and it made GT3 a completely new game. You cannot even comprehend the amount of detail in the physics until you play with a wheel. At first i too struggled with lap times (i consider myself quite good at GT with the DS, i have all golds on all GTs) but am now becoming quite comfortable with it and in some cases now bettering my best times with the DS and still feel i can get more out of the car.

It does take a while to adjust, but having now experienced i couldn't comprehend playing GT any other way... now I just need my NTSC R1 copy of GT4 and i'll be dropping out of life and racing up a storm :cheers:
 
Ebiggs
I'm about to order this "renewed" DFP here

$55 plus shipping. 30 days to return it in case you aren't satisfied. Use the rest of the money to build a wheel stand. :D


Ebiggs,

I found this site a few days ago as well. Please reply here or PM me or something and let me know how it works out for you. That's one helluva price for the wheel assuming it is fully functional and whatnot. Thanks. 👍
 
i wrote my opinion on the dfp a while ago....basically i am happier with the ds2. your just gonna have to buy it from a store where you will be able to return it if you dont like it. personally i dont think its realistic enough to spend that much money on it (i race autox in real life so i kinda know what its like). i used it for a week and i was still faster on the ds2. it just doesnt feel quite right, and i tried different settings on it, and they all felt too stiff for countersteer and that kinda thing. way too jumpy also on the ff, and with it turned off it doesnt feel any better.
 
Hy all:D
I'm also a big gt fan and own a momo force (red).
Are there people here that switcht from momo force to dfp?
I'd like to know how they compare to each other,
i really hate the pedals that come with the momo especialy the break:grumpy:
I was thinking of getting other pedals or buying the dfp.
So i am asking your opinions on this.
Thanx in advance

@alexsteffen
That gamechopper looks nice :drool: .
I'd like to hear youre experiences with it after you've used it, at least if you can pull yourself away from playing gt with it :dopey:
 
alucard83
Hy all:D
I'm also a big gt fan and own a momo force (red).
Are there people here that switcht from momo force to dfp?
I'd like to know how they compare to each other,
i really hate the pedals that come with the momo especialy the break:grumpy:
I was thinking of getting other pedals or buying the dfp.
So i am asking your opinions on this.
Thanx in advance

@alexsteffen
That gamechopper looks nice :drool: .
I'd like to hear youre experiences with it after you've used it, at least if you can pull yourself away from playing gt with it :dopey:


I´ve already played it last week when i visited a friend of mine in cologne. It was awesome !

It was far from being perfectly adjusted to me, but it was already a great feeling. I played for almost two and a half hours and when i got off the seat nothing hurted and i was feeling fine.

I hope, that my gamechopper will be here tomorrow, because i already hate to drive with the dfp mounted to an old table.

But i will tell you more after 2 or 3 days with the gamechopper !
 
I've posted something along these lines in the official DFP thread, but I'd like to shre it here because it seems like a valid point:

The DFP is definetly going to take some getting used to compared to the DS2. Think about how long you have played GT3, or Toca2, or whatever your game of choice is with the DS2 controller. You have invested 100's of hours in getting used to how the car reacts to your inputs, and getting used to the steering/braking/cornering effects, and your brain has gotten better and better with each hour of play at forecasting what you should do before you do it.

The DFP is completely different than a controller. Your brain cannot just translate the left/right inputs you used for the DS2. You have to relearn how to drive all over again, but trust me when I say that you will enjoy your driving experience way more once you have learned how to use the DFP. It will take a long time, but starting fresh on a new game (like GT4) is exactly the way to go about it. I don't even plan on hooking my DS2 controller up to my PS2 when GT4 arrives. I have used the DFP for 6+ months now on GT3, and I can gold all the licenses (something I couldn't do with the DS2). The DFP doesn't feel exactly like a real car does on track, but it is a heck of a lot closer than the DS2 could ever be.
 
I bought the madcatz 2 wheel. But Im not sure if its compatible with GT4 can anyone tell me.
 
Thrill31
I bought the madcatz 2 wheel. But Im not sure if its compatible with GT4 can anyone tell me.

I will work, but you would be better off with the DS2 over the MC2 if you're not gonna get the DFP :)
 
Madcatz one is pretty tight thou had a shifter rubber wheel and a little force feed. Someone said they were on Overstock.com but I didnt see them on there but Some ebay sellers are selling them at 125 with shipping so Im not sure what Im gonna do.
 
My experience with the DFP (in GT3) was frustrating at first. I was expecting this totally awesome driving feeling, and it felt like I had this wierd plastic-and-fake-leather machine to wrestle with. But after using it for about an hour or so, I reached a point where it suddenly 'clicked' with my brain. It's like my brain finally understood, "Oh, this isn't a game controller, it's a steering wheel! I know how to use one of those!" After that, my skill with the wheel jumped considerably, and with more practice, I became much better with the wheel than I ever was with the DS2. Considering the number of hours I had logged with the DS2, and how rapidly I surpassed my DS2 records with the DFP, I highly recommend trying it out, and trying it for long enough to really pick it up. My friends who have tried it for about 15 minutes each didn't like it either; they had the same troubles I did at first and never wanted to try it again. But stick with it for a while, and I guarantee good results.

Rally is where the wheel really shines. It's much easier to control a drift with the wheel, since you get finer accelerator control with your right foot, and you can feel the right place to hold the wheel for countersteer. It's also fun as hell holding onto it while it shakes in your hands. :) You also pick up a lot of road feel through the wheel which helps you realize when your tires are gripping and when they aren't. When you go over a hillcrest for example, the wheel goes a bit slack because you have less weight on the tires providing grip. Then it tightens up again when you go through a dip. If you're braking too hard while turning into a corner, you can feel the same effect, not enough 'tension' in the wheel. All of the extra feedback helps you improve your times much more quickly. It's a lot less trial-and-error when you can feel the problem in your hands, and it really helps you to be more smooth and precise with both steering and gas/braking.
 
I dont like the DFP on GT3, I prefer to use the DS2.

On the other hand DFP is awesome with GT4:P, I will never use the DS2 again, I am beating all my DS2 times with it now.

They say GT4 is even better with the wheel than prologue :).
 
since no one answered my question im going to ask it again XD
is DFP goign to be 900 degrees supported for the gran tourimo 4??
 
Whisper4ever
since no one answered my question im going to ask it again XD
is DFP goign to be 900 degrees supported for the gran tourimo 4??

This wheel was designed for GT4. ;)

I'll let you guys know how the service was on my wheel once I get it. Hopefully sometime this week. They didn't give me a ship date yet.
 
Thrill31
This maybe a N00B question but was is DS2

haha, took me a while to figure that one out too...its the ps2 controller that comes with the ps2, with the pressure sensitive buttons and stuff.
 
I'd like to ask anyone who has owned both logitech wheels, the Driving Force and the Pro, what are the differences? I'm guessing better force feedback and better quality build on the the Pro and of course the 900 degree, but is it a worth while upgrade for someone that allready has the original driving force?
 
FC3S5
i wrote my opinion on the dfp a while ago....basically i am happier with the ds2. your just gonna have to buy it from a store where you will be able to return it if you dont like it. personally i dont think its realistic enough to spend that much money on it (i race autox in real life so i kinda know what its like). i used it for a week and i was still faster on the ds2. it just doesnt feel quite right, and i tried different settings on it, and they all felt too stiff for countersteer and that kinda thing. way too jumpy also on the ff, and with it turned off it doesnt feel any better.

Well. In my humble opinion, you were dissappointed because you were looking for realism from a game. You have to realize, that technology that can effectively simulate real life circumstances is not cheap, and the DFP is an amazing thing. Some of us aren't playing just to see what times we can get, because technically speaking, if you were looking for any realism, you wouldn't play with a DS2, because all it does is give you false times, because there is absolutely no time for counter steer, it happens nearly instantly.

I just don't see how you complain about realism...then play on a DS2.

The DFP is a great wheel, with great feeling, and enhances the game. Point blank, if you are hardcore, and you want fun times, buy it. But if you are just a "my time is faster" junkie, this is not for you.

Drifters: This is also NOT FOR YOU. You won't be able to do it.
 
Back