Logitek racing wheel question

  • Thread starter Thread starter azshawn17
  • 82 comments
  • 5,856 views
alucard83
I'd have to disagree, especialy after i have seen BreakerOhio's movies.
here's the link to the topic
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45792&page=9
It's the first post on the page, nr 161.
THe links are in his signature, IMHO this guy rules

The only vids that would download for me are the first and last ones in his sig and they are both footage of GT3.

Here is where you will find a awesome GT4 drift vid with the wheel.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1396396&postcount=40
 
tha_con
The DFP is a great wheel, with great feeling, and enhances the game. Point blank, if you are hardcore, and you want fun times, buy it. But if you are just a "my time is faster" junkie, this is not for you.

I take my OLR pretty seriously, and I love the DFP. It took me a long time to get used to it, but I can now surpass my DS2 times, with a few rare exceptions.(Mostly very high horsepower cars, I haven't practiced them much yet) I finally made a permanent spot for the DFP to be setup all the time next to my computer, so I've been driving like a madman for the past week. I think I've submitted over 25 times to GT.de since I setup my driving station.:dopey:

Compared to the thousands of hours I had on my DS2, the time spent learning the DFP is drop in the bucket, really. And ten times more fun. It's worth every penny, even at full price. I'm thinking of getting a second one from that link for $55 just to have a spare or let friends use it.
 
omg you can get wheel for 55bucks damn ....i paid about 150.00 when it first came out
 
thanks for all of your opinions! they helped me as well...
i will buy it!
 
bacalhau
thanks for all of your opinions! they helped me as well...
i will buy it!

...I used to play GT3 with the GT Force steering while (the one that was built for GT3) and bought the DFP when GT4P came out.... I am totally happy with the DFP and would never go back... although it is not that cheap it is still well worth the costs (if I remember how many bucks I wasted on ****ty games!)... Ideally, you buy some kind of chair with it, which I did by buying the playseat as I really ended up in backache with the position that my table/chair combination gave me but I think since the playseat costs around 250 Euros the cheapest at www.gameorder.nl it might be worth buying this gamechopper thing for 99 Euros... though I must say I am very happy with my playseat since it also looks like a racing chair really :) ...

Bottom line I think that everyone who spent countless hours with GT3 will do so even more with GT4 and thus, I reckon it is WELL WORTH to invest some bucks and play it with a bit of a "special setup" :)

If you have the necessary "liquidity" go and buy the DFP as a first priority then buy some kind of chair to use it with as a second priority and lastly tune it up with some lil' basshakers as a third priority 👍
 
VIPERGTSR01
The only vids that would download for me are the first and last ones in his sig and they are both footage of GT3.

Here is where you will find a awesome GT4 drift vid with the wheel.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1396396&postcount=40

I should have been preciser:D
The last movie called Logitech DFP action shows how he exctauly drives with the steering wheel, so not a replay.
It's really cool to see how he actually does it, proving that it does work verry good with the steering wheel.
The movie from your link was very cool too.
 
The worst thing of the DFP is that when you start to get confident with it, you start to use it as if it were a real wheel... not a problem, but make sure your DFP is well fixed, specially in rallies. If you go to the Enthusia website, check the videos, there's one in that they use their own wheel, and that is amazing, the turning mechanism seems to be very smooth, and the same time, the wheel doesn't move an inch...
 
yeah, the video that is in the signature, where you see him actually driving with the wheel is quite cool, but it's GT3 and 180 mode, with Prologue (which I have) and GT4 is way more difficult, specially if want to drive with one hand and change gears with the other. But I am sure there will be people able to do it provided enough practice....
 
Richard Burns Rally is still the best use of the DFP i've found. The software has some involvement in the self-centreing speed, which is causing it to be harder to drift in GT4 that it should be. It's not impossible, as i've been using the wheel to drift in LFS no problem, you just have to be a little more involved in the process.

RBR is awesome with the wheel, both as a driving experience and for having brilliant wheel handling software (you can adjust the lock used, and there are things like torque steer and relaxation spring).

GT4 will be brill with the wheel though. I can't DO driving with a gamepad. :)
 
Ebiggs
I'm about to order this "renewed" DFP here

$55 plus shipping. 30 days to return it in case you aren't satisfied. Use the rest of the money to build a wheel stand. :D
does that mean it was used then returned and is now being sold again? =/ aren't you afraid it'll poop out on you?
 
alucard83
I should have been preciser:D
The last movie called Logitech DFP action shows how he exctauly drives with the steering wheel, so not a replay. It's really cool to see how he actually does it, proving that it does work verry good with the steering wheel

Yes its great how he drifts with the wheel in that last vid, but the wheel is in 200 degree mode and its on GT3. I would like to see a 900 degree GT4 vid.
 
I went looking for the official wheel to be released with gt4 a while ago, you cant get it in england yet, unless you order it in from belgium, at least that was what i was told, so i ordered mine, got it in august last year, took it home, tried it on my lap, and put it down almost straight away.

i didnt want to be upset with my purchase (cost me £100) so i rang a friend of mine, and i know everyone knows someone who knows someone who knows where they can get this done, and i had a frame welded up, it took two and a half hours and was made from scrap metal, and it only cost me the price of a scrap ford escort passenger seat (£15) to finish.

it was designed around me, and i fit it perfectly, and i wont ever go back.
Get the wheel!
everyone should.
all that has been said about it taking a while to adjust, and it feeling better than before is true, this is the wheel made for the game, your going to play the game for hours and hours and hours, why not do it the way youre supposed to?
since i made my racing seat, ive taken it to 6 different friends houses, and made everyone's day, i took it to my folks on christmas day, and had my mum racing the spoon s2000 round citta di aria on gt4p after lunch, she loved it, and has asked that i return when she can get to drive an audi tt, cos she wants to try that out!
dad smiled all day.
seriously, if your thinking about it, then get one, but make sure you have something to bolt it to, cos thats the only way to drive.
trying to hold that kind of force feedback on your lap is impossible.
trust me, the first time you hit a kerb round fuji speedway, or feel the wind buffeting you down the straight in the mclaren f1, you will realise youve made the right choice.
ive got so many places to pack up my seat and take it to in march.....
 
alexsteffen
I´ve already played it last week when i visited a friend of mine in cologne. It was awesome !

It was far from being perfectly adjusted to me, but it was already a great feeling. I played for almost two and a half hours and when i got off the seat nothing hurted and i was feeling fine.

I hope, that my gamechopper will be here tomorrow, because i already hate to drive with the dfp mounted to an old table.

But i will tell you more after 2 or 3 days with the gamechopper !

Kewl, i'm stil not shure what i'm going to do, build a cockpit or buy one, the price of the gamechopper makes it interesting.
But then again i've got room enough for a cockpit so it can always stay on the same place, so it would be nice to have one on which i can put the tv to.
 
VIPERGTSR01
Yes its great how he drifts with the wheel in that last vid, but the wheel is in 200 degree mode and its on GT3. I would like to see a 900 degree GT4 vid.

That would be very cool, you can probably get some very precise control out of the 900 degree option.
Can't wait to get my hands on gt4, will have to wait for the pal release to reach the Netherlands:(
 
I've heard of the DFP, but never a DFP2. What exactly is it?
 
gman07
I've heard of the DFP, but never a DFP2. What exactly is it?

Probably a typo because there is no Driving Force Pro 2 ...:)
 
Ahh, thanks. I guess i can go order my DFP now without worrying about some newer, better version being released soon. :)
 
I bought the DFP wheel about 10 months ago and since then I had it replaced by Logitech two times (fast and without hesitation).
The most problematic thing are the pedals, which not only feel quite cheap but tend to mess up the calibration data after some time, just like the Momo pedals.
So if you are going to buy that wheel make sure that you get a lot of warranty (preferably choose a reliable store near you).

The wheel itself, when it´s working properly, is just a lot of fun.
It is probably the best wheel for consoles (not PC) in terms of quality, but what really sets it apart is the 900 degrees mode.
The 450 degrees in each direction just allow for a much more precise steering input, which results in more control of what´s going on on the screen and ultimatively more fun driving the cars.
I like it so much that I don´t even want to play games any longer that do not support the 900 degrees mode.
(currently only 'Richard Burns Rally' and 'Gran Turismo 4' support it, if I´m not mistaken)

If possible I always choose the softest wheel option to minimise the resistance and make the wheel turn fast more easily. (in Prologue there was this option)
However, even then the wheel can get quite loud, although it probably won´t bother the driver as much as the people around him.

In conclusion, I think the DFP is a very worthy purchase IF you have warranty!
It´s just like when switching from a standard controller to an arcade stick for fighting games: at first it may feel a little weird, but after a while it offers much more control over your inputs.
 
Today my gamechopper arrived and in combination with the DFP i really love this hardware !

It´s so great ! My first time with the falken nissan in the GT4 Demo was a 7:04 (Controller: 6:59) and i will be able to improve !!!

It´s so much fun and the precision of the wheel is really fantastic.

There are some parts of the nordschleife where you loose some time compared to the normal controller, but there are so many (especially the fast ones) places where you are able to drive a clean line and to steer the car with the throttle !!!

i just love it !!
 
This wheel really completes GT4 for me, i would reccomend it to anyone ! it makes the realism unparalleled, and it makes every car feel noticably different compared to a DS2 for sure. I am starting to notice different qualities of cars with this wheel's feedback qualities. really really nice !

tha_con
Drifters: This is also NOT FOR YOU. You won't be able to do it.

haha, tha_con, you wouldn't be saying that it's impossible to drift with this wheel would you ? if so, i beg to differ :D you just have to be quick ! maybe YOU can't drift with the wheel, but i know it sure can be done ! 👍 later-
 
DFP is the ONLY way to play GT4 :)

it took me a few hours to get used to it but damn it's good even if u suck :)
i get faster times with my DFP now :D
 
yesterdaylight
This wheel really completes GT4 for me, i would reccomend it to anyone ! it makes the realism unparalleled, and it makes every car feel noticably different compared to a DS2 for sure. I am starting to notice different qualities of cars with this wheel's feedback qualities. really really nice !



haha, tha_con, you wouldn't be saying that it's impossible to drift with this wheel would you ? if so, i beg to differ :D you just have to be quick ! maybe YOU can't drift with the wheel, but i know it sure can be done ! 👍 later-

I'm not saying it's impossible, however, it's just a bit...inconvenient. The wheel is too slow on counter steer in 900 degree mode, and it makes it a bit difficult. Sure if you want to muscle your wheel around like that, do it. But rest assured it's not good for the gears, lol.
 
toca race driver 2 supports 900 degree mode too, and is an excellent game, though not even close to the feel of prologue, i havent had the opportunity to try gt4 ityself yet..
 
I heard there are many problems with the pedals. also the loud noise of the wheel. I think i will wait to buy it. maybe wait the next generation of wheels.
 
I just have a regular Driving Force wheel and even the difference with that compared to the DS2 is amazing. While its recommended that you play GT4 with the DFP, the older model works just fine and is also fully supported by GT4. I just wish the driving force had a gear shifer like on the DFP but I don't mind the Ferrari like paddles :)

IMO they are both wheels, its just a matter of how much money you have at your disposal and if you want to experience GT4 the way it should be, but I'm happy with my Driving Force.

Just make sure you have a comfortable table to mount the wheel on, that lap accessory is just a waste good plastic if you intend to spend a considerable time playing. Or do what I did and make your own table.

💡 *** Attention Australians *** 💡

Don't be conned into coughing up $200 AU for a Driving Force at Harvey Norman, I paid $150 brand new and have the receipt to prove it. If you see one for $200 (which is the usual price at Harveys) and want to get a few dollars off, talk to one of the sales guys there, tell them you've been to the Logitech's web page and SEEN it for $150.00 AUSTRALIAN (some will question you about the price) and say you can prove it buy visiting Logitech's web site.

Now this may work with the usual sales guy, if it doesn't, ask to talk to the head of the games department and talk with him/her and hope that 'the customer is always right' theory comes into play. Why still pay full price for technology that as been out for nearly 4 years while its sucessor is out on the market and also that the manufacturer has dropped the RRP on the wheel. If you're after a Driving Force, give it a shot and put that extra $50 you saved towards GT4.
 
Hi azshawn17,

This is my first post on the forum.
To answer your question, the Logitech Driving Force Pro just changes everything ! I was used to playing GT3 and GT4 Prologue with the pad. I finaly decided to change for the wheel, as I wanted to gain some few parts of a second.

First thing I noticed, the sensations are really much impressive. In particular, the wheel doesn't forgive mistakes, like the paddle did, it's just much more sensitive, especially without traction control.
As a result, while I really had a lot of fun with it, my times at the beginning were especially bad, and I had difficulties to do a complete clean lap at first.
But, after a few hours, I started to improve myself, and see some advantages, especially the ability to accelerate and brake at the same time (I used the analogic stick on the paddle), wich allows to obtain some mass transfer, when entering a corner for example.
Now that I'm used to using it, my times are each time better than with a paddle.

I recently replayed GT3 (I haden't played since a while), and I outperformed immediately the times I had put with the paddle, although I wasn't used with the tracks anymore . The only case where I find it less efficient is in rally mode, where it provides a lot of oversteering which costs me a lot of time.

If you're used to driving in real life, it worths it, as it gives sensations much closer from reality than a simple pad. And if you're not....well I think it worths it too.
Just a little thing, It doesn't feel very solid inside (mechanism), so try to keep it away from childs !!

Regards, (and sorry if I made mistakes in the text)

snypa
 
Oh, just a little thing I forgot...

If you decide to buy it, you really have to buy the piece that is designed to be attached to the wheel, under it, and that is placed between your legs. It provides much more grip on the wheel like this. This piece can be bought on Logitech internet site....but perhaps it can be found everywhere in USA ? Here in France, I had to buy it on the net.

Bye,
 
i got my DFP yesterday and i was using it with GT3 and i have one gripe so far.. when the car is standing still if the wheel is turned it returns to the straight position on its own?!!? shouldnt the friction of the tire's contact patch keep the wheel turned untill the car begins to move? this is an interesting test... does anyone know if GT4 has the same wrong behavior or is it fixed??
 
I think it still returns to the center...
But does this really affect gameplay?
 
Back