London 2012 Olympics and Paralympics - General discussion

• Thread starter Ross
  • 1,936 comments

Ross

Premium
England
Tadley, Hampshire, UK
I can't believe no one else has created a similar thread yet. I used the search and all I found was TM's thread for the football draw. This is more of a general thread to discuss all sports though.

So, let the discussion begin.

I cant believe no one has commented in your thread yet ;).

Im looking forward to it, even if the events are at a rubbish time zone for me, and Australia will not do anywhere near as good as previous Olympics.
Anybody have a cure for pole-vault yips?

Also, a thought came to me last week when McDonalds tried to ban chips from venues, even though what they sell aren't chips, and Visa have switched off all ATMs (dozens) in the Olympic precinct and replaced them all with 8 Visa only ones...

Are the Olympics getting too big for their boots? And how long before we reach a point where no cities step forward and bid for the games because it is too much of a hassle/expensive?
I realise that most Olympic games eventually turn a profit (ignore if you are reading from Montreal), and bring a load of money to the host city/country, but I think the heartaches eventually will outweigh those benefits.

Or her:
allison_stokke_desktop_1800x2700_wallpaper-420172.jpg

Are the Olympics getting too big for their boots? And how long before we reach a point where no cities step forward and bid for the games because it is too much of a hassle/expensive?

I realise that most Olympic games eventually turn a profit (ignore if you are reading from Montreal), and bring a load of money to the host city/country, but I think the heartaches eventually will outweigh those benefits.

I don't think any city/area profits from the Olympic Games; you'll pull in a tenth of the expenditure on your returns, but it seems to be a great excuse to rebuild/expand physical infrastructure and improve employment figures in the immediate short-term. But I think the only medium-term gains are intangible, like putting your city "on the map" as a viable tourist destination, or as a potential business/industrial locale.

The sponsorship thing has been so way out of control by restrictions, it's awful...It's been going on for years, and the IOC profits mightily from the lack of economic freedom to venue-goers (which I suppose is no different than the $8 light beers offered in stadia 'round the world).

That said, I'll probably watch a little bit of it; 2008 was the first time in years I cared to watch some of the competition.

The Olympics is a complete waste of money, and the only people who do well out of it are the corporate types and back scratching officials. I am glad I am out of the country for two weeks when it is on.

The Olympics is a complete waste of money, and the only people who do well out of it are the corporate types and back scratching officials. I am glad I am out of the country for two weeks when it is on.
Especially the Olympic rings over Tower bridge. That cost over £250,000! Anyway, I'm out of the country for all 4 weeks.

2012 was predicted to be end of the world, they forgot to add "for london's transport system" on it :lol:

That's the spirit! 👍

Especially the Olympic rings over Tower bridge. That cost over £250,000! Anyway, I'm out of the country for all 4 weeks.

I think there are more people leaving the country than there are staying for the Olympics. Thread will be dead.

I'll make my first pick for Gold
Basketball- USA

Anyone else with possible Golds?

Britain - Cycling
Brazil - Football
USA - Swimming
Jamaica - Mens 100m and 200m
Men all across the world - Women's Volleyball and Gymnastics

In all honesty, I have no clue about the Olympics really.

I don't think any city/area profits from the Olympic Games; you'll pull in a tenth of the expenditure on your returns, but it seems to be a great excuse to rebuild/expand physical infrastructure and improve employment figures in the immediate short-term. But I think the only medium-term gains are intangible, like putting your city "on the map" as a viable tourist destination, or as a potential business/industrial locale.
I dont think the financial return is that low in the short term, but it is really hard to quantify. What do you count? Of course there is the sponsorship and TV rights, but Im sure the IOC take a good amount of that. But increased turnover in shops/restaurants/hotels? Future events hosted at new venues?
The sponsorship thing has been so way out of control by restrictions, it's awful...It's been going on for years, and the IOC profits mightily from the lack of economic freedom to venue-goers (which I suppose is no different than the $8 light beers offered in stadia 'round the world).
Agree completely

I think there are more people leaving the country than there are staying for the Olympics. Thread will be dead.
You know they are televised worldwide right? You dont have to be in the UK to watch or follow the games

Britain - Cycling
Not if Australia can help it, but I think GB will dominate
Brazil - Football
Maybe, but it is only an under 23 tournament, so no-one cares
USA - Swimming
Not if Australia can help it
Jamaica - Mens 100m and 200m
Yep
Men all across the world - Women's Volleyball and Gymnastics
Volleyball maybe, gymnastics - pedobear.jpg

Also, in some sweeping generalisations, black guys will win the long distance running, eastern European countries will win wrestling, East Asians will win table tennis and badminton. White people will win almost all of the swimming, with the odd Chinese athlete taking one.

Hey just thought id let you guys know that the team GB mens and womens football team are having warm-up matches today and both matches are live on BBC1..the women v Sweden kicks off at 4pm and the men v Brazil kick off at 7.45pm..both matches are taking place at Middlesbrough's Riverside stadium

You know they are televised worldwide right? You dont have to be in the UK to watch or follow the games

I know, it's estimated to get around 2 billion views I heard. It's just when most of the country are saying they hate the Olympics it seems I'm one of the minority that doesn't. Don't know what the attitude to it is in other parts of the world, but it's largely negative over here.

Maybe, but it is only an under 23 tournament, so no-one cares

Don't know about that, I'l be watching most of the games and it'l probably be one of the most watched bits of the Olympics.

Volleyball maybe, gymnastics - pedobear.jpg

Wait, they are over 18, right ? :scared:

Also, in some sweeping generalisations, black guys will win the long distance running, eastern European countries will win wrestling, East Asians will win table tennis and badminton. White people will win almost all of the swimming, with the odd Chinese athlete taking one.

Probably.

Mentioned this in the Colorado shooting thread, but US swimming star Missy Franklin is from Aurora, Colorado. I don't even want to imagine where her mind is after all that's happened after the past couple of days, I just hope the years and years of training she gave doesn't go to waste because some scumbag messed up her town. I'm gonna be cheering for her twice as hard now.

Wait, they are over 18, right ? :scared:

Some are. As an example, the year of birth for the 5 female USA athletes competing have birth years of 94, 95, 95, 96, 96. Im not going looking at all the competitors ages, but ask for ID before getting any impure thoughts.

I'll make my first pick for Gold
Basketball- USA

Anyone else with possible Golds?

I'll call the trifecta in the Men's discus throw:

1. Robert Harting (GER)
  2. Gerd Kanter (EST)
  3. Piotr Malachowski (POL)

Discus is hard to call because there are so many dopers in the less-regulated countries. If guys aren't very consistent with their results and progression, it usually means they're doping. The Hungarians are for sure. Zoltan's technique is so ****ing bad that it's a miracle he ever won anything. Robert Fazekas told my cousin that his technique was amazing, but that he would never compete without getting stronger. Not surprisingly, Robert just tested positive. AGAIN.

Shot put is a bit more of a toss-up because there are 4 guys right now that are threatening the olympic record. I'm betting at least one will throw 22.4m.

1. Reese Hoffa (USA)
  2. David Storl (GER)
  3. Ryan Whiting (USA)
  4. Christian Cantwell (USA)

I want Reese to win because this will probably be his last olympics. He's a cool guy. As much as I'd like to see an all-american podium, there are still some really good foreign throwers with the best probably being Storl. And Storl is still very young.

Olympic weightlifting:

Behdad Salimi is practically a lock for all three golds. I have Lu Xiaojun for 3 golds in 77kg. Look for WRs to be broken here.

Re: Ages of olympians.

Max age for the Junior Olympics is 16. So get those impure thoughts of dancey hurdler out of your mind. Gymnastics runs the gamut as far as age goes. 14-20something.

Last edited:
Not hugely bothered about the olympics but I'm subscribing in the hope that this thread explodes with interest when the games starts and I can get a lot of the smaller results from here.

I'm also hoping for US Women's soccer to win gold and avenge their embarrassing defeat to Japan last summer :).

The footage is from the Junior World Champioships and...
Wikipedia
The IAAF World Junior Championships in Athletics are the world championships for junior aged athletes (19 years old or younger on 31 December in the year of the competition)

The youth olympics are for athletes age 14-18 (Wiki again), so not sure which competition you are thinking of Omnis

Derp. Nevermind what I said. HOWEVER, in practice, most of the people in the junior olympics are 16-17, because by 18-19 they're usually already good enough to compete in the normal olympics. That's how USATF works anyway.

edit: I was probably high on fried chicken and watermelon while posting in here. And no sleep. True story.

Last edited:
Japan/Canada footie about to start. Love watching Japan - but gotta root for my 'home' country. ;)

edit: Half-time; Japan 2, Canada 0.

edit: Final scores - Japan 2, Canada 1.

Solid game by the Canadian women, but the Japanese play like ninjas. Was a great game to watch.

Last edited:
US Women are on now, started an hour ago but I wasn't aware. I just hope if they get another shot at Japan, they don't blow it.

Tuned in just in time for the 2nd half, USA 2, France 2.

Goal! Perfect strike from Carli Lloyd into the top left corner, completing a comeback from 2-nil down.

Last edited:
Back