Looking For Motorsport Documentaries

• Thread starter Earth
  • 92 comments
GTP_Royalton
I'm looking for motorsport documentaries about drivers or races or cars etc

Here are some I know of. Any more suggestions?

IMAX: Super Speedway

51NyMyskziL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Follows Mario and Michael Andretti as they prepare for and compete in the Indycar season. Noted by even non racing fans for its amazing sound.

===================================

IMAX: NASCAR

nascar3d-soundtrack.jpg

Takes you behind the scenes and step by step through the inner workings of a NASCAR weekend and season. After I watched this with family they said they had a new level of respect for the sport, as they did not realize all that went into it.

===================================

24/7 Jimmie Johnson - Race to Daytona

24_7_186x250.jpg

Follows Jimmie Johnson in detail as he prepares for and races in the 24 Hours of Daytona sports car race in January, then the NASCAR Daytona 500 in February.

Last edited:

Truth in 24 - Shows Audi winning Le Mans and is available from itunes.

24Hours - Shows BMW in the Nurburgring 24 hours.

I can thoroughly recommend both of them.

The obvious one is Senna, but If you could only choose one, I'd go with "TT: Closer to the Edge"

One of my favorites, behind the scenes detail into designing and building a new F1 turbo engine from scratch.

Last edited:
Faster
Faster and Faster
Narrated by Ewan McGregor, it is the story of Motogp in the early 2000s.

Earth
IMAX: NASCAR

Takes you behind the scenes and step by step through the inner workings of a NASCAR weekend and season. After I watched this with family they said they had a new level of respect for the sport, as they did not realize all that went into it.
I'm a bit disappointed with this bit. It makes it sound like more goes into NASCAR than into other motorsports. It's not like other forms of racing just see folks show up on race day, roll the car off a trailer, and go. F1 in particular sees massive efforts from a small army of people in preparation for the next event.

You need to watch Senna if you haven't already, and coming later this year is Rush, its about niki lauda vs James Hunt in the 1976 f1 season, its also partially filmed at the airfield at my local kart track. ;)

I remember seeing Super Speedway when it first came out, it was amazing! I'd recommend Truth in 24 as well, it's free on ITunes.

I remember seeing Super Speedway when it first came out, it was amazing! I'd recommend Truth in 24 as well, it's free on ITunes.

Reminds me, there is this 9-screen giant monitor at a new college building where I am studying and they have a series of general videos playing, one of them is of a red Indycar (I think) doing a few laps around Homestead-Miami speedway, looks similar in style to that Super Speedway trailer.... Wonder what that is?

Paulie Walnuts
But it will not be a documentary, but an actual, acted drama film.

Yes but it is a true story based on actual accounts and although reinacted some parts, its still a true story and therefore deserves to be on the documentary list even on a technicality. Hey i learned a awful lot about space exploration from the 1960's just from watching Apollo 13.
Edit: hey just realised that is also a Ron Howard movie!
Do we already have a thread for great racing movies of all sorts? if so please post a link. and yes the red cars going around the track was Super Speedway.
My favs list goes:
LeMans
Truth in 24
Senna
Grand Prix
Super Speedway

Hopefully soon to be added:
BMW 24 Hours
Ron Howards - Rush
(dont flame me i know they arent all docs...)

Last edited:
I wants see BMW 24 Hours and Rush! But where can I see BMW 24 Hour? I can't buy it anywhere!

Im intersted in the BMW 24 hours, on bluray disc of course.

EDIT: Here is a link to the DVD at amazon.uk.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0066OPIOM/?tag=gtplanetuk-20

German Amazon has the Blu-Ray disc

http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0066OU92I/

Here is the trailer

Also, I'll be adding links in the first post to everything mentioned so far.

Jim Clark: The Quiet Champion

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5
Part 6

Last edited:
Yes but it is a true story based on actual accounts and although reinacted some parts, its still a true story and therefore deserves to be on the documentary list even on a technicality.
That's nonsense because especially technically it isn't a doc. I don't get why insist putting in a category where it doesn't belong. Especially since it's not in the theaters yet... so we can't even know how much artistic freedom they have taken (which isn't automaticallly a bad thing :)).

Still not a doc, but I'm very much looking foward to it. Was about a time that a proper racing movie project appeared after many decades (Le Mans and Grand Prix).

Champions Forever
Monaco Race of Kings
Great Grand Prix Heroes - Series
Jackie Stewart The Flying Scott
If youre not winning youre not trying
Grand Prix the Killer Years - Warning though It has a fair bit of footage of drivers deaths and charred bodies...

Discovery: Engineering the World Rally
Too Fast Too Race & Still Too Fast To Race
Power And Glory
The Evolution of Rally
The worlds greatest rally cars
Dust to Glory! (BAJA)

Victory By Design - series
Mondo Enduro, Terra Circa
Winning Ain't Easy

You need to watch Senna if you haven't already, and coming later this year is Rush, its about niki lauda vs James Hunt in the 1976 f1 season, its also partially filmed at the airfield at my local kart track. ;)

Get any pics?

Fangio

F1 Ground Effect documentary - Williams FW07 1981
Saw this car scream around Adelaide circuit last weekend.

The Golden Age of Motorracing

This Youtube channel is full of gold
http://www.youtube.com/show/thegoldenageofmotorracing?s=1

Last edited:
Paulie Walnuts
That's nonsense because especially technically it isn't a doc. I don't get why insist putting in a category where it doesn't belong. Especially since it's not in the theaters yet... so we can't even know how much artistic freedom they have taken (which isn't automaticallly a bad thing :)).

Still not a doc, but I'm very much looking foward to it. Was about a time that a proper racing movie project appeared after many decades (Le Mans and Grand Prix).

Who cares whether or not its a doc, or a doc with partial reinactments, or a movie based upon true story using some real footage?
I think i'm lost, where is the general racing movies thread? thats the one i'm trying to find, i dont know why it matters that something is "categorized" correctly if it will still hold value as a snapshot of historical relevence. Even if its not technically a doc because some parts are embelished, some people who might not have heard about a film might like to know about it. For example, I got a sence for what it was really like driving a 60's F1 car through Monico more from watching "Grand Prix" than I ever would have through a doc, or youtube vid. Not as much raw data as a cut-and-dry documentary would present, but still informative while entertaining for any racing fans

lemansfanatic
Who cares whether or not its a doc, or a doc with partial reinactments, or a movie based upon true story using some real footage?
I think i'm lost, where is the general racing movies thread? thats the one i'm trying to find, i dont know why it matters that something is "categorized" correctly if it will still hold value as a snapshot of historical relevence. Even if its not technically a doc because some parts are embelished, some people who might not have heard about a film might like to know about it. For example, I got a sence for what it was really like driving a 60's F1 car through Monico more from watching "Grand Prix" than I ever would have through a doc, or youtube vid. Not as much raw data as a cut-and-dry documentary would present, but still informative while entertaining for any racing fans

This.

At least two people (you and me) or why else are we having this discussion? :D

Btw, none of those options will be true. As far as I've understood, only real footage it will have are those filmed during the historic races such as the one they were filming some months ago at the Nurburgring.

I don't really care if it's mentioned in this thread (it is actually good to mention, since it's not that known project yet) but I will continue to nitpick about it if you keep trying to make it a doc which it will not be. Simple as that. :sly:

Last edited:
The OP and many others in this thread.

Grand Prix is a brilliant film but it's not a documentary. It is full of stuff that never happened and is completely made up. Likewise Le Mans.

The Apollo 13 film is based on real events, but they still made things up.

A documentary deals with fact, and doesn't (or shouldn't...) make anything up.

Now lets get back to posting, and discussing, documentaries.

Who cares whether or not its a doc, or a doc with partial reinactments, or a movie based upon true story using some real footage?I
I think i'm lost, where is the general racing movies thread? thats the one i'm trying to find, i dont know why it matters that something is "categorized" correctly if it will still hold value as a snapshot of historical relevence. Even if its not technically a doc because some parts are embelished ----- XsnipX

I care. The difference between a documentary and a drama is the difference between truth and gossip.
"Days of Thunder" or "The Great Race" are not documentaries, but the 'movies' (on Blue-ray) that the TS quoted in the OP are as close to the truth as could be documented.

I do get the feeling you are interested in discussing 'Racing/Auto' films; a whole different pie. Look around for a thread that has that as a topic - or PM a mod about maintaining one.

OT - already so many good suggestions that there isn't much more to suggest, except maybe that certain TV Channels (such as Speed, or the History channel) show many made-for-TV documentaries.

Back