Looking For Motorsport Documentaries

• Thread starter Earth
  • 92 comments

This is a great documentary if you have a spare half hour or so, focuses on the fans at Turn 10 at Sebring. 👍

Project LMP1: Acura's Next Challenge.

Designing and building Acura's prototype sports car that sat on pole in it's very first race vs the likes of Audi and Peugeot. Also the originator of the "same sized tires on all 4 wheels" that everyone has copied.

Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Heck, why not add this here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01d7kpj/Racing_with_the_Hamiltons_Nic_in_the_Driving_Seat/

Hopefully non-UK'ers can watch it too, if not, hopefully it gets uploaded to youtube soon.
It was actually interesting following Nick's progress last year and I hope he manages to get another chance this year. This documentary/programme also gives a very revealing insight into Lewis' background really and starts to put some jigsaw pieces into place about his psychology.
I wouldn't say it makes me think again about Lewis, but its certainly answered some questions that I wondered about how he thinks and why he approaches things with a particular attitude.
I have nothing but complete respect for what Nick has done, his attitude and his outlook on life. Top man really 👍.

43 years before Lewis Hamilton, there was Wendell Scott

To do what he did, to win a NASCAR Sprint Cup race in 1963 America, to me, is an accomplishment that not just everyone in motorsports, but everyone in general sports should respect and admire.

Last edited:
The obvious one is Senna, but If you could only choose one, I'd go with "TT: Closer to the Edge"

👍👍
Couldn't agree more, after seeing senna i didn't think anything else would top it but Closer to the Edge was just that good.

...Also great thread! will definally check out some of these documentaries mentioned on here.

IMAX: NASCAR

nascar3d-soundtrack.jpg

Takes you behind the scenes and step by step through the inner workings of a NASCAR weekend and season. After I watched this with family they said they had a new level of respect for the sport, as they did not realize all that went into it.
Just watched this one, and while I learned a thing or two and it was cool to see what's going on behind the scenes, I think it's a Hollywood made, NASCAR-financed promotional video more than anything. It's so obviously scripted in a poor way and it's not like the ridiculous half speed ride-along shots à la Days of Thunder-style and the Hollywood sound effects makes it any better (I even saw a CGI'ed tyre coming towards the camera in a crash!) 👎

... and I actually like NASCAR.

I also watched TT: Closer to the Edge earlier, and THAT was an amazing documentary, right up there with Senna as already stated by TypeRDC5. 👍

👍👍
Couldn't agree more, after seeing senna i didn't think anything else would top it but Closer to the Edge was just that good.

I've been following the TT (and road racing) for a good few years now. There really is nothing like it. It's just that mix of excitement and fear. The guys that race there really earn the hero status.

It also highlights how safe the world championships are nowadays. The likes of Agostini and Surtees had to race here (among other dangerous tracks) as part of the world championship. Every time a MotoGP star shows up at the IOM, you can see the fear/respect in them.

What about that one with Eric Bana? (Yes I know Eric Bana is an actor, but he's also a racing driver, and it's a film he made documenting his entry into... some race that I can't remember right now :P) I think it's Love the Beast?

http://www.truth-in-24.com/

After 24 Hours .... the gap between the fastest of the french squad in pursuit and the lone surviving Audi was

0 laps

and, timewise
0 hours
0 minutes
13 seconds
854 thousandths

If the original was an excellent movie, this one should be epic! Can't wait! 👍

It looks like it's based on the 24 hours of Lemans from 2011 (One of my favorite Lemans). Watching the lone #2 Audi with the rookies in it pull away from the trio of Peugeots just seconds behind it in the closing laps was spectacular.

We should have a "off topic motorsports thread" somewhere in this forum. What I'm posting is not a documentary, but it's worth a look. Head banging on a Formula 1(?) 2 seater at the Yas Marina Circuit.

LOL, HANS should be used for passengers!

... OMG the braking areas ... :lol:

Last edited:
Head banging on a Formula 1(?) 2 seater=

Its an ex-Arrows or Minardi 2-seater, there were quite a few made and they've popped up quite a lot at various events all over the world. So yes, you are correct saying F1 ;).

Oh, I will definitely watch that! The 2011 edition was a fantastic race and I am eager to see how they will cover the race up in the documentary! :D

Is it Gorry?

Not explicitly gory, but there a few sequences of B&W footage of burned drivers that will snatch your next breath. You know it was a real person in there, not a stuntman...heat so intense that the body came out of the car rigid, as in cooked meat. I imagine firefighters have maybe witnessed something similar to this, I humbly pray though, I never do.

Here is a driver's quote and the imagery to accompany it.

http://www.ausmotive.com/images2011/Grand-Prix-The-Killer-Years.jpg

Last edited:
Back