Looking for some Jazz....Music 

• Thread starter TayeezSA
  • 71 comments
It's kind of sad to me that the only way a lot of young people have been exposed to cool jazz (but not Cool Jazz) music is through Yoko Kanno's work in animes. What if they didn't go in that direction, musically? Jazz labels have kind of failed when it comes to bringing in new fans of their music. There's no exposure! Why do so many people like hip hop today? It's all marketing and no product. Jazz makes a product and expects it to sell itself.

Yep it's all marketing these days. With music, shows, anything entertainment. You can make the most brilliant thing out there but not having enough exposure is how you won't gain any ground.

Marketing teams who work with crummy artists have probably picked on the fact that instead of trying to win the fight against skilled musicians, they take a step ahead and sell themselves before the competition gets to play.

It's kind of sad to me that the only way a lot of young people have been exposed to cool jazz (but not Cool Jazz) music is through Yoko Kanno's work in animes. What if they didn't go in that direction, musically? Jazz labels have kind of failed when it comes to bringing in new fans of their music. There's no exposure! Why do so many people like hip hop today? It's all marketing and no product. Jazz makes a product and expects it to sell itself.

I discovered jazz from this...

Jazz labels have kind of failed when it comes to bringing in new fans of their music. There's no exposure! Why do so many people like hip hop today? It's all marketing and no product. Jazz makes a product and expects it to sell itself.
I fear what's needed is a sex tape or a shootout between two artists in the parking lot of Maestro's.

My instructor recently had me listening to: Herbie Hancock, Inventions And Dimensions. It's a 1964 recording. There are some early reflections of African rhythms that are now incorporated to what we call swing with emphasis on the 6/8 time. I had never heard it before, and for a 1964 recording I was blown away. Might not be your thing, but it it's worth a listen to I think.

Ghibli Jazz by All that Jazz.
These are jazz covers of some of the songs from studio ghibli films, I have got both from the google play store.
Ghibli Jazz

Ghibli Jazz 2

Needs more violence, but very cool 👍

I know, right? I need energy in my Jazz. But there is a fine line between energized and frenetic, and I hate when it gets crossed.

I know, right? I need energy in my Jazz. But there is a fine line between energized and frenetic, and I hate when it gets crossed.

Yes. I like smooth jazz and all that, but there's nothing like a stompin' hard bop. I blame Blakey for making me like this.

This album is so ****ing sexy.

Kazuki-Katsuta-Kazuki-Katsuta-2014.jpg

Too bad moron youtube deleted all the videos with its songs. They axed one of my favorite J-fusion channels. These stupid artists wouldn't have any of my money if it weren't for the channels "stealing" their music. Oh well, go on and die in obscurity then.

Chick Corea is a scientologist weirdo. RTF did some crazy **** to the people they had in their bands. Notice how all the good guys-- Al Di Meola, Wooten, et al-- got in and got right back out.

Last edited:
There are so many different kinds of jazz out there. I love 'em all!

Trad Jazz (Dixieland):

Swing:

Count Basie blues:

Thad Jones blues:

French horn blues :D:

Hard Bop:

Modern big band jazz:

Jazz ballad:

Latin Jazz: (another whole can of worms!)

Grammy-winning right here:

McBride is FIRE on that bass!

I see Omnis already brought up Dimension. It's a really great jazz-fusion band, lots of upbeat and bouncy kinds of songs. Unfortunately, YouTube seems to have blocked the majority of the Dimension videos for the US, so I can't really post links.

I'd also recommend T-Square. They have quite a wide variety of songs from laid-back, to upbeat, to sad, to cheery, and to aggressive. One of its core members is Masahiro Andoh, who is also responsible for "Moon Over The Castle" (itself a slight retweak of "Knight's Song".) I found that awesome when I first found out about T-Square, not sure if that will be a selling point to others though.

If anyone gets a chance to listen to this or other Dizzy Gillespie then do so.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Recently came across this video. Really puts the ridiculous ability of Coltrane and other bebop musicians into perspective.

Back