Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
You big softy, you. *playful punch on shoulder* That almost brought a tear to my eye. ;) :lol: Since Greycap is already sleeping ( he does that a lot :odd: ), I return the favor and name you as one of the most consistent opponents we ever had. Strangely, our thoughts about tuning the next car often hit the same make and model, but that just shows that great minds think alike, eh? :lol:

No need to worry, we will be on the top of GT5 tuning as soon as the bloody game arrives. I'm also slightly afraid of what we can do now that the GT4's limited physics engine and tuning adjustments aren't holding us back anymore. :scared: We shall see.. Until then, I wish you speedy recovery.

Seems so soon... Yet I know it's anything but; well over 3 years is not a short time period on the internet.

Somewhat sad to see you guys finally go, but then... There's absolutely nobody around anymore anyway.

I can't wait to finally pit Lion's Den Performance against you guys at Mad Finn Tuners, but it goes without saying you were the pioneers in Gran Turismo tuning, and provided the inspiration for pretty much every tuner going back through GT4 (I lay claim to GT5:P, but since I got my inspiration from you......:P:lol:). Naturally with age and experience now on my side, you shouldn't expect the same hostile competitor in me you once knew in GT4.;) Best of luck to you guys in GT5.👍

PS- Your finishing up with GT4 may be pre-mature, GT5 could be months away yet.;)

Seems so soon... Yet I know it's anything but; well over 3 years is not a short time period on the internet.

Somewhat sad to see you guys finally go, but then... There's absolutely nobody around anymore anyway.

Indeed. Everyone is waiting the GT5 like various other religious cultures wait for their salvation.. Impatiently, greedily.. The old ones are left behind.

I can't wait to finally pit Lion's Den Performance against you guys at Mad Finn Tuners, but it goes without saying you were the pioneers in Gran Turismo tuning, and provided the inspiration for pretty much every tuner going back through GT4 (I lay claim to GT5:P, but since I got my inspiration from you......:P:lol:). Naturally with age and experience now on my side, you shouldn't expect the same hostile competitor in me you once knew in GT4.;) Best of luck to you guys in GT5.👍

PS- Your finishing up with GT4 may be pre-mature, GT5 could be months away yet.;)

Perhaps, But I think we've deserved the rest, don't you agree? And, if we feel like it, we might.. or might not.. add some little tune or tweak an old one.

Perhaps, But I think we've deserved the rest, don't you agree? And, if we feel like it, we might.. or might not.. add some little tune or tweak an old one.

Deserve a rest? Hell no, get back to work!:lol: Nah I just thought you guys were finishing up GT4 because GT5 would be in your hands rather soon, and I was just pointing out that probably isn't the case.

Last edited:
These exact release dates were planned when GT5 was going to be released on the 2nd/3rd of November, they're our fifth anniversaries of joining the team mentioned in the text. When it became apparent that GT5 would be delayed we decided to keep the dates as we've already done just about everything worth doing and the dates had a meaning instead of being just random.

It's sad to see you guys go. I kno Im not the most well liked guy on :gtplanet: but I have major respect for you guys. You changed my outlook on tuning. I used to do all my tunings just like the dsm evo and now my tunes are quite diverse and some are actually pretty good.

Man this feels like a blast from the past.. I have to post my accolades for our beloved Flyin' Finns as well. I had picked up some good tips running alongside these guys, either as a tester, a requester for specific tunes, or even as competition (if anyone remembers Tuning Garage Challenge..) I'm awaiting GT5 with the rest of you lot. I think you're going to blow our minds. :nervous:

Cheers,
Jetboy

Actually all this reminds me of the one thing that truly sticks out about MFT to me, your fans. You clearly have some of the most loyal and rich in numbers fans of all Gran Turismo tuning garages. You fellas should be most proud of that achievement, especially since it's them that keeps the garage alive.👍

Oh believe me, we are. Both of us have only good memories of the time we spent here doing our best ( and not so best.. example: my Esprit :embarrassed:uch), and bad ones have been pushed aside, forgotten, or remembered with laughter.

Hey,

I just wanted to let you guys know that the only reason I even joined this site was to tell you how much I enjoyed one of your tunes. It was the "Young Thunder" tune that you did.

I had lurked on the site for quite a few months but your tune was so much fun I had to tell someone.

Thanks for the countless hours of work you have done for this gaming community, and thanks for the many hours of entertainment you have given me.

Too Old

Well, good evening, gentlemen.. I do hope I'm not too late to join the party ;)

Five years. Well, he speaks the truth, you know.. Here's something taken from our forum's database:
Code:
Name            Date Joined     Posts

Dark Elite      27-October 05      3,019                         
viperpilot      28-October 05      3,000                   
Leonidae        28-October 05      2,098                   
smuttneyspears  28-October 05      1,653
Midnight Runner 28-October 05      1,289                       
Greycap         31-October 05      1,043
This, really, is taken over the two or so years that we were really active as a team. Quite a talkative bunch, as you can see.. Except for the quiet guy at the back, who obviously chose to spend all his time in the garage. Obviously, because the weapons he emerged with were something else. I'm quietly confident that the GT-R33s I drove, and indeed the '34s two others chose, are superior machines to the Eighties boxes these two Finns opted for. I'm biased, of course, but I'm quite sure that our cars were faster, and most were certainly more powerful, than what the then-unthought-of Mad FinnTuners were coming out with.

And yet they beat us. Or, rather more specifically, one man beat me, again and again and again. Since the name Greycap appeared in our internal competitions, it was always - without fail - above mine in the results. And nobody could put it down to the car, since we were often using the same ones; so the man himself, through his tuning and his driving, was clearly to credit.

It would seem this had something of an effect on his fellow Finnish wingman, and before long Leonidae - it seems strange to call these old friends by these names again ;) - had teamed up for the duo to develop cars between them. Skylines weren't enough for these guys, so their efforts spilled over out of our team forums and into, if you like, the public eye..

..Where they promptly stole the limelight completely, becoming the greatest, most popular and most highly acclaimed tuning garage GTPlanet had ever seen. In fact, there are now few threads larger than theirs, and few who can say they've encouraged so many people to take an entirely different view of the game and go and try their own tuning.

I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say that two unassuming guys from the North have breathed life into these forums and this game over the past three years, and for that, we owe them big time.

They know already that they've got my respect for their tireless hours of work perfecting these cars, and God knows I've seen just how fast a GT-R32 can be made to go many a time, but it never hurts to remind them how brilliant a job they've done..

Hats off to you, guys. It's been one hell of a ride :cheers:

Well, good evening, gentlemen.. I do hope I'm not too late to join the party ;)

Never. Without you there might, no let me correct that, would not be this party.

Quite a talkative bunch, as you can see.. Except for the quiet guy at the back, who obviously chose to spend all his time in the garage. Obviously, because the weapons he emerged with were something else.

Well, that quiet guy also spent one of those two years in the forest participating in the biggest role playing games in Finland.

The funny thing being that after all those, and all these after them, years I still consider myself to be the inferior tuner when compared to Leonidae. He can make the cars do what he wants, I make them do something somewhat reminiscent of what I want and then just drive through the shortcomings.

I'm quietly confident that the GT-R33s I drove, and indeed the '34s two others chose, are superior machines to the Eighties boxes these two Finns opted for. I'm biased, of course, but I'm quite sure that our cars were faster, and most were certainly more powerful, than what the then-unthought-of Mad FinnTuners were coming out with.

You don't have to be quietly confident - do it openly. They are better, but not at every area. There's something in the R32 that isn't present in the later models and that thing is the direct feeling between the wheel and the road, many might call it unresponsiveness or understeeriness but it gives a confidence that allows the driver to push more.

And yet they beat us. Or, rather more specifically, one man beat me, again and again and again. Since the name Greycap appeared in our internal competitions, it was always - without fail - above mine in the results. And nobody could put it down to the car, since we were often using the same ones; so the man himself, through his tuning and his driving, was clearly to credit.

:P

It would seem this had something of an effect on his fellow Finnish wingman, and before long Leonidae - it seems strange to call these old friends by these names again ;) - had teamed up for the duo to develop cars between them. Skylines weren't enough for these guys, so their efforts spilled over out of our team forums and into, if you like, the public eye..

..Where they promptly stole the limelight completely, becoming the greatest, most popular and most highly acclaimed tuning garage GTPlanet had ever seen.

Hard to say who had an effect on who, I can't even remember which one of us originally came up with the idea. Leonidae had that small garage of his own before me, that's for sure, but *breaking news* apparently this was my idea according to him. Well, so be it then.

And this tuning thing got a bit out of control. But that's what seems to happen when the aim is set to turning even the most hopeless pieces of s...teel into something worthwhile. Admittedly we didn't succeed every time but for the most part everything worked generally to our liking. There are cars I'd definitely like to forget and just about everyone has done just that so no harm done, I guess.

In fact, there are now few threads larger than theirs, and few who can say they've encouraged so many people to take an entirely different view of the game and go and try their own tuning.

There's exactly one thread in the tuning category larger than this, and it's one whose owner can almost certainly say he's sparked an unbelievable interest in one single aspect of the game. Including both of us. I bet you know what I mean!

I don't think I'd be exaggerating to say that two unassuming guys from the North have breathed life into these forums and this game over the past three years, and for that, we owe them big time.

"Never in the field of Gran Turismo 4 was so much owed by so many to so few"?

You might just be right in that, GT5P stole the thunder for a large part - we went down that road too - but then it became apparent that it was so badly short of content that a comeback was necessary and it seems that many followed us. I believe, or at least like to believe, that it was a good thing for both sides and it helped bridge the gap between GT5P and GT5.

They know already that they've got my respect for their tireless hours of work perfecting these cars, and God knows I've seen just how fast a GT-R32 can be made to go many a time, but it never hurts to remind them how brilliant a job they've done..

We surely do. You're one of those who know the most about this project and who have the best idea of the amount of work that has gone into it. Oh, and during some of the darkest hours there wasn't even a need for a GT-R to get the results. ;)

Hats off to you, guys. It's been one hell of a ride :cheers:

*takes off the cap and brings his right hand on the forehead* I can only say the same! Blue Flight is off duty, but for how long... only the future can tell us that. Let it be bright! 👍

I have to say this is kind of sad. While I only recently started tuning (poorly), I did look through some of your tunes, and you did give me some advice for my own tune. I might have just been here for the end, but hats off to you guys. :cheers:

And I can't wait to see what you've got in store for GT5.

Same old, probably.. Polishing old tunes here, crushing online opposition there.. You know, the usual stuff. :sly:

Ok, we'll try and come up with a list of tunes that haven't been tested at all.

Well, here's the untested selection from our "final uprising" against the GT4 physics. Admittedly three from me and only one from Leonidae but hey, his cars of the pairs in question got tested. :P

With typical English reserve I shall just say farewell for now chaps.

We may not have covered the same ground very often, as my tuning was most commonly aimed at A-Spec maximising for non-Japanese cars but it was always interesting to read of what you were up to over the years.

So, stiff upper lip and all that and hope to see you in the garage once more when GT5 is eventually born :D.

Indeed, old chap. Fear not, GT5's tuning section shall feel the might of Mad, Flying Finns.

One more update. Yesterday I ran a final "Tour de GT4" with the S-Tune, something I've wanted to do for a quite long time but never got around to it - every track in the forward direction as a final farewell to GT4 as the latest full Gran Turismo. Including rally courses, Test Course and even the Las Vegas drag strip. The distance covered was around 245 kilometres, more than I had thought, and it took around two hours.

With GT5 running in my PS3 right next to me it's safe to say the game is finally over. Forever? Most definitely not, but for now. Here's to a new and better GT! :cheers:

Are you guys going to start a garage as well in the GT5 forum? I hope so. Never mind, I just saw Leo's post above (post 3722).

We're just getting 5 where I live today. I'm not buying it today, though, maybe Friday.

Hey guys, you probably don't remember me, Greycap might. but anyway, i used to be really into tuning in in GT4, whether it was making my own machines or trying to tame the monsters that you guys created.

I'm here purely out of curiosity to see what the fate of this garage was since GT5 is out now. I just want to say thanks for all the great GT4 tunes and i really can't wait to see what you guys have planned for GT5. You can expect me in your new thread on the 25th. Thanks guys and happy tuning 👍!

Nismo GT-R V-SpecII S-Tune '00 Review
Before I start, I'm really keen to review the M3 RSR, but can't remember how to get an M3 GTR?

It is an honour to review a car that is not only historically significant in the real world, but also an important part of MFT's history. While a) most of the world is moving over to GT5 and b) touring cars bearing any mechanical resemblance to what the average Joe can buy at the dealership are just a distant memory, it is good to be reminded how a harmonious car can be a great drive, regardless of age. Enough waxing lyrical about "historic virtual racing", lets drag the R32 out of the museum, blow off the cobwebs and thrash it around the Grand Valley Speedway like there's no tomorrow!

PARTS ONLY (except stock suspension and gearbox):
A very composed and well balanced car, which is impressive considering the chassis is being stretched by extra rubber and horsepower. The R32's AWD system is a lot more subtle in its operation than the R34 but the lack of any wheelspin or power understeer shows that it still gets the job done.

The brakes are excellent, although most of my recent driving has been on Sports tyres, so maybe I'm easily impressed. For this track, the suspension is quite soft which causes a lag in the steering response, however the suspension does feel well controlled. Body roll is not the issue, just the initial response, I suspect MFT will have slightly stiffer dampers on the agenda. Despite the AWD, the car is nicely throttle steerable at low speeds. As usual for road cars, the gearing is too tall, also the lack of a 6th gear means wide spacing between gears.

Overall, though, the car is very well sorted so it will be a challenge for MFT to raise the (already high) standard.

MFT-SPEC:
Straight away, the driver notices that this car is a much sharper tool. Damper settings have sharpened up the steering response, giving the driver instant feedback and increased confidence. Although the cornering speeds are higher in MFT-spec, there is no power understeer. None. Check out Greycap's driving style in his hot lap to see why, he is often back on the throttle before the apex.

Gearing is fantastic.

Brakes have raised the bar, with a nice balance between stopping power and willing to change direction under brakes.

I wouldn't dare criticise such an important car for MFT, so these are not criticism, just observations:
- In high speed cornering there is occasionally some body movement which momentarily causes understeer. But there is no other sign that the car is too soft in any way, so think of it as just rewarding the driver who is careful about weight transfer
- Perhaps due to the lack of rear downforce, sudden trail-braking from high speed (such as the first hairpin) can send the car spearing off the track backwards. Personally, I think the high-speed balance is great so I think the driver just needs to realise that MFT have rated this a "Pro" car so it needs to be treated with respect.

FWIW with my poor driving, my best time with MFT's settings was 2.5s quicker than the "parts only" tune (but this is still 3.5s slower than Greycap's lap :( )

A great tune. As usual. 👍

I'm always glad to see a review, even more so when it's that good, but you really made my day by choosing the S-Tune as the target! It hasn't been tested so far and perhaps never will but should that be the case it's already shown what it can do.

Straight to the observations. No, high speed turns aren't as sharp as one might expect. I believe it's a result of the nose heaviness of the R32 combined to the softish front stabilizer (which is needed at lower speed ranges) but after the initial sluggishness it usually turns in pretty decently for what it is. And the rear downforce, yes, that's very much a weapon against understeer. Because if there's one thing I absolutely hate it's understeer and I'll rather go flying off the track with the rear lights showing the way than meet a barrier head on. With the base car being as hard to turn as it is every rock was turned to make it more responsive and some improvements had their downsides too. This is one of them, fortunately it's one that you can actually drive through when you learn the tricks of the car.

In short, it's a car that has to be driven very hard (thus the Pro rating) to get the most out of it. Only then it shows its true colours and begins to make sense as a whole. One of the really strong points is the braking ability, to the point in which I didn't even have to brake during turning into the first corner as the car decelerated enough on the straight section after the kink.

Hi everyone I have too cars that im trying win in GT and having trouble in winning. The cars are AMG Mercedes CLK-GTR and Toyota GT-ONE Race Car.I have tried tunning them but no suck luck.Any help? Im trying too win in the Professional Hall in Grand Turismo World Championship.

Thanks

Last edited:
stickies and search are your friend. use them. this is the tuning section your better off posting this in the main gt4 section

Look chaps, I know that this is horrendously late, but I would feel bad if I didn't pay this garage my respects.

Its all been said above, by Mafs, Dark Elite, sukerkin, Junkie, Jetboy.... The list goes on and on. Its a forum, people can read the posts. But I felt that I should just add my bit.

You chaps have been an inspiration, daresay to all of us. Your work over the years has never faltered, you have been the solid core that this sub forum was built around for so long.

I remember a certain little man who was banned, banned for three days and then returned to post (yes, wasn't banned for 3 days I know, but I like the joke :P ) gave me a lot of advice in my early days. I was never able to make a very stable garage in my time here, AMMT was a revolving door for tuners while Phoenix was practically stillborn. However, none of it would have been possible, none of those tunes would have gotten out, if not for the seniors of this sub forum, and I can safely say that the two of you are the prime reason for many garages, good and not so good, gracing this sub forum.

I wish both of you the best, hopefully this isn't the end of banter, for one day all of us GT4 Tuning Forum vets can one day have the luck to all meet up in another sub forum, to race on level turf once more!

All the best,

Happy Hunting! (Been so long since I did that, just wanted to one more time).

Lachlan (also known as senamic, and in some circles as rbm)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back