Mad FinnTuners Co.™ - Finished 301010 with GT-Rdammerung - BIG THANKS everyone!

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 3,787 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone explain to me what the tires mean, R, N, S? And what does R3, mean?

R = Racing, N= Normal, S= Sports.

N/S/R*insert number* refers to the compound. Example, N and S tires have hard/medium/soft, 1-3. R tires have super hard/hard/medium/soft/super soft, 1-5.

Probably not - only the Galleries are a bit around here. I guess most of us have moved on :lol:

^Wow, Its Kinda wierd seeing the shop closed up here. The new MFT shop is nice but, there's just some sort of magic about this thread.

That happened because of me and RJ. lol. I was such a noob to the game despite playing it for so long.

Hello Mad FinnTuners!

I know that you stopped releasing cars long ago - and moved on to GT5, actually - but that is no reason for customers (I believe that there are still some) not to post reviews of your cars. I am not doing this in order to be allowed to request cars, but rather in order to give you feedback in great detail.

Review #1: 300CROOZIN' '05

Car specs:

This car delivers 705 horsepower, almost 1000 nm of torque and weights 1596 kg. Racing medium tyres have been put on to make sure the car always has enough traction.

Expectations:

Given that the car's power has been more than doubled (!) and the the car weighing 282 kg less, I expect serious performance improvements. The downside may very well be that the rear wheels are going to spin excessively at low speeds, resulting in a loss of control over the car and bad tyre wear.

Performance (Acceleration [Amount of wheelspin; Gearing]; Deceleration [Strength of the brakes]; Power delivery):

To my surprise, there was little wheelspin even in first gear and no wheelspin as soon as I shifted into second. Doing a standing start in second gear will have the effect that you can go onto the throttle 100% without having to worry about wheelspin at all. The car accelerates quickly; thanks to almost 1000 nm of torque and a very well set gearbox. The car reached its top speed of well over 300 km/h quickly and stayed stable at all times. Some people may think that such a heavy car cannot be slowed down quickly, but, actually, the opposite is the case. Coming into turn 1 of Grand Valley Speedway, I am able to brake late; the car remains stable before the corner. During and after corners you will want to make sure that you are not in a low gear (especially not the first one!), because otherwise the car will deliver all its 705 horses - through the rear wheels - giving you no chance to even think about countersteering or throttle control. Nonetheless, the car will remain stable and the (rear) wheels will have a lot of grip as long as you stay in a higher gear; this fact does not even have a negative impact on the acceleration, because - as already mentioned above - there are 705 horses and almost 1000 nm of torque supporting you.

Balance (Suspension [Soft-/Stiffness; Camber values and their impact on the brakes and the wheelspin]; Brake balance; Over-/Understeer; Limited Slip Differential; Weight distribution):

At first glance, it looks like the car is going to understeer heavily - not least because it is so powerful and heavy; but this is definitely not the case. The stiffer front springs help the car to maintain traction at the front (improved turn-in), and the softer rear springs help it to get the power on the ground easier. During my testing, I could not experience any understeer, but oversteer was also just a little bit present. The car felt stable and - despite late braking and early 100% throttle after (or to be more precise: during :D) corners - always had enough grip. The brake balance has been set nicely: the rear brakes are not as strong as the front ones, which allows the driver to brake late without being afraid of the car's back suddenly breaking away - or even worse: the car getting unstable and changing its direction. There is less camber in the rear which has a positive effect on the wheelspin of this car. Additionally, a limited slip differential has been fitted. The acceleration setting is not set too high - which minimizes understeer -, but is also not too low, which would allow the car to burn up its rear tyres after just one corner. The setting of the deceleration is very good, as well: It allows the car to stay stable, but is not too low, which would make the car unsettled under braking and would have a negative impact on the car's balance, but especially the brake balance. Because of all the positive aspects mentioned above, it is not necessary to make the car softer in order to allow the driver to use weight distribution to his advantage.

Tyres (Durability; Road grip):

The tyres help the car to maintain grip easily at any time, but this fact also has a downside: the tyres (especially the rear ones) wear out so quickly that you better think twice before entering any race on a long (such as Nürburgring, Circuit de la Sarthe, etc.) circuit.

Conclusion:

First of all, thank you for sharing your great setup with the world, Leonidae! I would have never imagined that such a powerful and heavy car like the 300C could be turned into something decent. Of course, there is a lot of power and the weight has been brought down drastically, but this car still remains a luxury limousine and can never become a sports car (it can easily beat sports cars, though :dopey: 👍). Given that you put on racing medium tyres on it, the car will make no attempt at treating them well - and that is nothing someone would expect from a 705 hp, 1596 kg car.
To sum up, you delivered a very good tune for this car, but in the end you created - rather than a car one would like to use in longer races - a time attack car. A very fast one, actually.

Last edited:
One day we got a bit more peculiar customer, who arrived in a bone stock Chrysler 300C. I'm willing to bet that he had more bling on himself than whole 80's had, and he had a not so surprising request. " I wanna pimp mah wheels, man.. I wanna be noticed, and this time small wheels won't cut it. I got dough, and you gots tha skillz, so get workin'!"

We had difficulties to hide our grins, but we got on the work. First off, we ordered a set of huge, golden rims with about a gazillion spokes. The paintjob was redone with passionate, metallic red, and the suspension was replaced with lower, sportier custom items. We stripped out the interior as well, then replaced everything with carbonfiber replicas that were painted to resemble the texture of the leather. And finally, the engine arrived. It was nothing sophisticated like a V12, but a raw, roaring behemot straight from NASCAR. It churns out 705bhp and nearly 1000Nm of torque. In order to harness this power, we installed a racing gearbox and a limited slip differential. And just to be certain that the power reaches the tarmac, a set of fat racing slicks was applied on those shiny rims.

Mr.X didn't believe his eyes, nor his ears when he returned to get his car few days later. We took him for a spin, and all he could do was to laugh and clap his hands. I doubt that he will ever again miss the plane or concert when he's on board of 300Croozin.. Since its top speed is on the better side of 180mph.

:lol: The 300C is quite the blingmobile in America! I really really hope PD eventually brings the Dodge Magnum and Charger into GT5, too. They're both on the same platform as the 300C but have a much different look/style.

A well done and thorough review like that warms my heart. :D Keep up the good work, lad! 👍

Review #2: Abarth 500RS Turbo '72

Car specs:

96 hp out of 599ccm is an impressive specification of this car. Does anything else need to be said?

Expectations:

This car now has the power of 6 (!) 500Rs. If that specification does not scream for improvement, then I do not know which does. The already light car now has even less weight, and given that the engine is in the back, I expect some drifting fun.

Performance (Acceleration [Amount of wheelspin; Gearing]; Deceleration [Strength of the brakes]; Power delivery):

The car accelerates quickly and no turbo lag is noticable. The rear tyres can cope with all the power, thus the driver can go onto the throttle 100% at any time. On Grand Valley Speedway, the car could not reach its top speed of over 190 km/h, but was still very fast (especially when you consider how small it is). Late braking is no problem in this car, but you will want to make sure to just give little steering inputs, because otherwise you will spin. There is no problem with the setup; it is just the RR layout of the car which lets this happen. There is always enough grip, but you can drift the car on purpose by just steering a little too much into a corner. As soon as the rear tyres lose grip: countersteer.

Balance (Suspension [Soft-/Stiffness; Camber values and their impact on the brakes and the wheelspin]; Brake balance; Over-/Understeer; Limited Slip Differential; Weight distribution):

Although the RR layout makes it an easy car to drift with, you can still drive it without smoking tyres. The car is well balanced and will give you the opportunity to drive it conservatively. The car has a soft suspension, which helps it maintain traction. The softer front springs improve turn-in and the stiffer rear springs make the car oversteer on purpose. This is also the reason why the car does not understeer, resulting in a better balance, which allows the driver to brake late. Speaking of brakes: they are very good. The front brakes are not too strong, which shows that the tuner wanted a good turn-in, but he did not forget to set the rear brakes high enough in order to allow the driver to brake late and to drift on purpose. As already mentioned above, the car's back will step out if you steer more than necessary; especially under braking. The limited slip differential settings are also good: the initial and acceleration settings are not too low, which would result in a loss of grip, and the deceleration setting is not too high, which would make the car understeery. But it is also not too low, which would make it unsettled (under braking). Weight distribution does not play a role in this car, because the suspension does its work very well.

Tyres (Durability; Road grip):

The tyres are also one of the reasons why it is so easy to drift. The car is not powerful enough to shred them into pieces, but it has enough power to make the rear tyres smoke. Furthermore, it seems like the car is going to warm up its tyres quickly.

Conclusion:

You provided a very good setup for a fully tuned Fiat 500R '72, Leonidae. :) The car can either be driven conservatively - but fast, or sideways with a lot of fun. That said, this car will not be competitive against many cars, but it provides the joy of drifting, which seems to be the aim you had in mind when creating this little, yet decent machine. Thank you!

You're welcome! Thanks again for the in-depth and detailed review. I'm sure that many GT4 players will find these reviews you do very useful. Keep up the good work, only 186 cars to go! 👍 :lol:

*gasp* There's someone here!
I think I have to get GT4 fired up again, run a few Amalfi Rallies and tune up some cars :P. GT4 would always be better than GT5. It has soul :dopey:

I still haunt this place every now and then. If you're careful, you might catch and EVP ;) :lol:

Yes, the pictures and hotlinks from the first post are gone. Sadly, it means that you guys have to find the tunes the hard way now, unless you already have copied all of them to your notepad or something. No worries, looking tunes from this thread is fun, and a real time travel trip down the memory lane, at least for me. Have fun!

For the pictures in posts, imagine the tiniest fraction of a chance and you've got it. For the opening page banners, perhaps some day when I find the motivation.

It'll be the banners or nothing, all the code still exists in the first post but the images are gone from where I had them hosted. It just happens to be that there are 188 images needing a new hyperlink. :ouch:

Oh well. The world needs me again so I guess it's time to put the old work jacket back on and get it done...

So……Leonidae will turn from a grumpy old man to a nostalgic and sniffy old man once he gets back here………? This place reeks of pass glory……lovely.

Actually, we've got a lot more attention this time - in nine months we've gathered nearly 190.000 views while the old one has been here for four years and barely passed 340.000 views. It's not our fault that people just don't recognize quality tuning when they see it and go for quantity instead... and the fact that we have lives and hobbies outside GT5 seriously holds back the quantity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back