Mad FinnTuners Co. - Road Racing Relics 150415

• Thread starter Greycap
  • 190 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mmmhmm.. I'll give it a shot. They're far from the best FWD platforms regarding motorsports, but..*shrugs*

FWD as a whole is far from best when motorsport is considered. I've been watching more series than I can remember during the last 25 or so years and I can't remember a single occasion on which FWD has turned out to be properly superior to RWD and/or AWD when fighting on fair terms - no weight advantage, no power advantage, no any other skewing of the rules to create a more level playing field. Sad but true.

Mmmhmm.. I'll give it a shot. They're far from the best FWD platforms regarding motorsports, but..*shrugs*

FWD as a whole is far from best when motorsport is considered. I've been watching more series than I can remember during the last 25 or so years and I can't remember a single occasion on which FWD has turned out to be properly superior to RWD and/or AWD when fighting on fair terms - no weight advantage, no power advantage, no any other skewing of the rules to create a more level playing field. Sad but true.

If turning them into racing cars is too difficult, then it's okay to just turn them into better sports cars. I do know how hard it is to turn a FWD car into a proper racing vehicle.

I'll see what I can do with it. It's currently at full NA/Lightweight tune, and so far hasn't really impressed me. I've driven '90 GTe IRL, and that bugger snapped a driveshaft on me..

Volkswagen Karmann Ghia GTI '68

173 bhp, 26.3 kgfm, 732 kg, PP 450
Painted in Sunset from Volkswagen

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Change Oil
New Wheels, Inch Up: 2, American Racing Vintage Torq Thrust, finished in Sunset from Volkswagen
Comfort Soft Tyres
Height-adjustable, Fully-Customizable Suspension
Fully-Customisable Transmission
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Fully-Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Differential
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Intake Tuning
High RPM Range Turbo Kit
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)

Overall cost: around 250.000 Cr

Suspension
Ride Height (mm): 135 / 155
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 3.00 / 3.00
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 3
Dampers (Extension): 5 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 3
Camber Angle (-): 0.5 / 0.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 / 0.20

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 4 / 5

Drivetrain (Transmission)

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Max speed: 190 km/h

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.575
2nd: 1.835
3rd: 1.450
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
Final Gear: 2.850

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 10
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 0

It looks suspiciously like the early Porsches, doesn't it? Well, the fact that it's nothing less than the ancestor of them explains a lot and now it's time to show that the similarities don't end in the looks. After some midnight garage work it drives like one too. Or actually faster than an early 911, I suspect. Forget the asthmatic engine of the stock model, the power has been quadrupled (is that a word? I'll use it anyway) and the entire car has been virtually rebuilt as a serious sports version of the original. The handling characteristics approach those of the Porsches, lift the throttle and the tail will slide out in a gentle and controllable way - only to get back to the line with a press on the accelerator, provided that the said press isn't hard enough to overpower the rear tyres and begin a glorious powerslide. That having been said, the most difficult thing to do with this car is resisting the urge to initiate those powerslides because as so often is the case with RR cars, the steering wheel decides the moment of turning, the pedals do the rest.

Lotus Europa S.2B '68

140 bhp, 17.7 kgfm, 620 kg, PP 450
Painted in Cirrus White from Lotus

Clickable for full size

Parts to fit:
Aero Kit, Type B
Custom Rear Wing, Wing Stays E, Wing H, Winglets J, Height -3, Width -38, Painted in Cirrus White from Lotus
New Wheels, Inch Up: 2, American Racing Vintage Torq Thrust, finished in Matte Light Silver from Gran Turismo
Comfort Soft Tyres
Height-adjustable, Fully-Customizable Suspension
Fully-Customisable Transmission
Triple-Plate Clutch Kit
Fully-Customisable Mechanical Limited-Slip Differential
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports Computer
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Carbon Bonnet (Body Colour)

Overall cost: around 200.000 Cr

Suspension
Ride Height (mm): 100 / 110
Spring Rate (kgf/mm): 2.50 / 2.50
Dampers (Compression): 3 / 2
Dampers (Extension): 5 / 5
Anti-Roll Bars: 3 / 2
Camber Angle (-): 0.5 / 0.5
Toe Angle: 0.00 / 0.00

Brake Balance Controller
Brake Balance: 5 / 7

Drivetrain (Transmission)

Note: First, reset the gearbox to the default settings, then set the Max speed, and only then set the gear ratios.

Max speed: 240 km/h

Gear Ratios
1st: 2.725
2nd: 1.875
3rd: 1.470
4th: 1.200
5th: 1.000
Final Gear: 3.300

Drivetrain
Initial Torque: 5
Acceleration Sensitivity: 10
Braking Sensitivity: 5

Body
Downforce: 0 / 20
Ballast Weight (kg): 1
Ballast Position: 0

Driving Options
ASM: Off
TCS: 0
ABS: 0

Formula 1 car for the street was what the Europa was described to be when it debuted in the late sixties and that's what it still feels like. The unspoken king of sportscar design, Colin Chapman knew that the benefits of low weight could overcome the downsides of low power and he surely was right. The Europa was built as a successor to the immortal Lotus Seven and the fastest factory model around was the Special of the later years but now we present you the S.2B, a version that puts the Renault engine to proper use for once. Riding on a full custom suspension tailored to the needs of extremely low weight and an even lower centre of gravity the car is a textbook example of how extremely high power numbers aren't needed for a thoroughly sporty experience that actually involves driving the car instead of just flooring it from one corner to the next and letting electronics do the rest. The result is arguably the best handling classic Lotus ever, a featherweight fibreglass rocket that just seems to have its own laws of physics.

Unfortunately my play time is severely restricted at the moment but some first impressions of the latest duo are in order. I hope the weekend will allow for testing the Corvette and M4, too, leaving only the 600PP pairing still to be explored. :)

Starting with the Karmann, it is - as stated by Greycap - to be seen as an early iteration of a RR Porsche, a Ruf of the 1960s if you wish. Being smooth, you can carve through corners and it will easily work of a variety of tracks, be it Silverstone or Suzuka. Equally it will work quite well in a city circuit such as London.

At the same time, the rear is freely throttle adjustable, so you can slide it around all you want, too. Lifting in a corner will produce a nice turn in, easily stabilized by a judicious throttle application. It may not be the easiest car for a first time GT6 user but is comfortable enough to handle for an average helmsman.

The engine does not quite have the punch of the Galant but will propel the Volksporsche down the straights faster than either the Lancer or the Europa manage. And allow for a light oversteer (at Silverstone for instance) or at least a line stabilization (Suzuka) in faster corners.

Braking is also assured and it will generally not force you to fight with a loose tail on the way into corners.

So overall a very effective tool for the average driver and while on paper not much faster than the Galant in the hands of an expert, I believe it will deliver much faster and more consistent lap times for the rest of us. For me it was around 2 seconds a lap at both Suzuka and Silverstone and well over a second less a lap in London.

Describing it as excellent is not quite doing it justice and it seems to perform really well pretty much everywhere. 👍

The next in line is the Europa. While touted as a formula car for the street, it also requires more skill than something like the Karmann. As apparent from the pictures but not explicitly mentioned by Greycap, he also fitted the car with his bicycle tires, meaning you need to gently lean into corners first if you do not want to overwhelm them completely.

Tried the car at the same circuits, so Suzuka, London and Silverstone.

As mentioned in the GTI review, the Renault engine does not do as convincing a job of launching you towards the horizon as the VW unit: It is smooth and the gearbox ratios are aptly chosen but overall the acceleration is lower.

Where it is perhaps easier for a novice is in never managing to overwhelm the rear wheels in fast sweepers, unlike the Karmann (at times) and the Galant (often).

At the same time it does not enjoy scruff of the neck approaches to handling, especially in slower corners. If you ease into the corners instead of yanking the wheel, the bicycle tire dimensions are not a problem but otherwise you see all four turning red in the temperature indicator.

On the other hand this allows you full flexibility both in choosing the line and the approach to (slower) croners, as you can easily get more or less turn-in through the speed of wheel and throttle movements - put another way the car can be made quite darty if this is desired.

The advantage is also that you can use the car as a learning platform - if you want good lap times you need to become a better driver. And while it appears to ultimately end up being the slower one than both the Galant and Karmann, it will be much more so unless you really learn to drive it properly. While this is somewhat of a truism, it will demand much more skill from the driver in my opinion to be equally fast than either of the other three 450PP cars does. In this sense I would see the difficulty ratings as exactly the opposite to the ones you posted. :)

As a final verdict, I find it great that you two decided to focus on the wide variety offered by GT6 and not only on the fast and the furious standard fare 👍 It is what makes the game such fun - and with your creations obviously much more so :D

Again big thanks for the reviews! I know that I may give the impression of not caring one bit but I really do, getting another view on how the cars turn out is always an important thing as it gives insight on how they work with different driving styles, different input hardware, different tracks and racing situations, the entire palette.

And I respectfully disagree about the difficulty ratings but the reason to them may be in the criteria - if you rate them according to their all round handling they probably indeed should be the other way round but when pushing them really hard the Europa turns out to be the more docile as it gives more warnings before breaking out and when it does, it does it in a quite balanced, predictable way. When the Volksporsche decides to go playing in the woods on the other side of the Armco it's certainly going and there's little to be done other than to hold on for dear life and see where it stops. Its limits are certainly higher than those of the Europa but when they're exceeded it becomes pretty violent and the corrections had better be more or less spot on or the driver becomes a passenger in a blink of an eye.
As a final verdict, I find it great that you two decided to focus on the wide variety offered by GT6 and not only on the fast and the furious standard fare 👍
Cars like this are what really makes Gran Turismo what it is. Sure, the state of the art supercars are fun every now and then but driving a turbocharged Karmann Ghia is on a completely different level when it comes to entertainment. The laughable 140 bhp engine of the Europa gives a feeling totally different to the 700 bhp powerhouse in the latest Lamborghini and it's certainly not a worse one.

Regarding the car selection I think I have every right to say a couple of words about the M4 as it was my work - yes, it's blindingly fast but as a driver's car, it pretty much sucks. No feel whatsoever, an extremely sterile experience with zero playfulness. Unbelievable grip and power and as a result great lap times, yes, but there's no fun in driving it. It might be the curse of the modern times though, I've driven a Mercedes E250 CDI 4Matic and while it was perfectly suited for being a passenger on the driver's seat, it wasn't made for driving as we know the term. I'd pick my own '98 Volvo estate any day, the exception being a day on which I'd have to drive a couple of hundred km of highway as that's what the Mercedes does well. It seems that GT6 is doing an excellent job in portraying the "flying carpet feeling" numbness of modern cars compared to their predecessors in the game too.

Hello again, I've been driving Leo's latest Corvette recently, and I must say that I am very impressed. This is a Corvette that makes the most of stock power settings, while being a car that most can drive fast without many issues. A all-rounder, if you prefer.

While I would, personally, take some weight off (just to make it more limber), the settings of the tune itself are on point. The transmission is sharper and quicker, making the Stingray a more smooth track operator. Of course, it'll slide if you're rough with it, but not to a mental level. It did happen a few times in Laguna Seca (one of the USA Tour races), but nothing that I couldn't control with a bit of correcting. It's a far sharper car than the stock version, which was good but lacked fizz out of the (virtual) dealership. It feels more planted, making full use of that 50:50 weight distribution. And since you don't have to buy power upgrades, it's more or less a cheap way to get a very good version of a modern American sports car without buying a Ford GT (which I beat in Laguna, by the way).

All in all, I am loving the Stingray S. It's the sharper Stingray for those who think that the C7 needs a kick to the proverbial pants, but don't want a totally mental car such as the ZO6. A proper way to utilize a C7, and another great job by Leo. 👍

Thank you! Oh, and speaking of Z06.. I have replicated it, and it's in my garage, waiting for a good time to release it ;) :D

Wouldn't expect anything less. :D I just need to tweak the GT-R a bit to counteract the fact that the C7 cannot have as much aero as the IRL one which causes the acceleration to drop off heavily around 150mph..

Wouldn't expect anything less. :D I just need to tweak the GT-R a bit to counteract the fact that the C7 cannot have as much aero as the IRL one which causes the acceleration to drop off heavily around 150mph..

So, you want to match their performance, huh? Curious move, but it is understandable, considering the C7's aero issues that you've mentioned. I always wanted to see a Nismo with less weight and sharper handling. Can you do that, I wonder?

I will probably replicate that aero issue through the gearing. And as for Nismo.. Yes, I can, but I might try to keep it as close to the factory one as possible. Funny fact, the replicated Z06 has 666lbs-ft of torque.. :D

I will probably replicate that aero issue through the gearing. And as for Nismo.. Yes, I can, but I might try to keep it as close to the factory one as possible. Funny fact, the replicated Z06 has 666lbs-ft of torque.. :D

The Devil's own Corvette. Oddly fitting for the Z06. :lol:

Congrats to Greycap for earning "the tune of the week" on the news page!

Congrats indeed, glad to see your tunes get their much-deserved credit. Maybe you'll win the award next time, hopefully. Once again, congratulations on a job well done. :cheers: 👍

Now what the *bleep* people? :eek:

Had you two not written about it I would have missed the entire thing. Absolutely no indication anywhere. But seriously, that's quite something. Being selected among the dozens of tunes released this month is definitely an honour!

Speaking of tunes, I'm pretty sure both of the Sixties' Specialties can win the 450PP European Hot Hatch seasonal - but one thing I'm not pretty sure, but absolutely sure (because I tried and succeeded) about is that the Cobra can sweep the 550PP race. That old flying brick leaves a ZR1 Corvette in the dust out of a hairpin while trying to break loose at perhaps 75% throttle. :lol:

I'm pretty sure both of the Sixties' Specialties can win the 450PP European Hot Hatch seasonal - but one thing I'm not pretty sure, but absolutely sure
I've tried it yesterday, with the Lotus Europa, but couldn't win. The tune is good anyway, just need attention with the back being a little bit loose. 👍

I tried myself too. The most difficult thing was keeping myself out of the AI's way because they have cars twice as heavy as the Europa and they drive every bit like they know it. Still as long as the fastest car in the lineup was an Alfa 147, Renault Clio R.S. or even a Megane R.S. Trophy winning was hard but not overwhelmingly so. Only when the AI began fielding Clio V6s things went south and they went fast. :ouch:

Still haven't beaten it.. :irked: I'm almost tempted to dig out the 205 T16 :P

Today I've done testing on "His n' Hers" as well as "Gojira vs Kentucky Devil". Both pairs have performed excellently, one pair being ait ~500pp and other at ~600PP. Now, all I need to do is throw dice and publish the pair that wins.

Edit: Nurb times for the ~600PP beasts were 7'02 and 6'59. One was scary, one was mind-blowing. Top speeds of 190mph and 200mph+ in the last straight. Both were almost too much for me to handle on sports softs. GVS times were around 1'53 and 1'54, driven by yours truly.

Last edited:
So, now the modern 550PP pairing, which turned out quite surprising in my opinion.

I will start with M4, which is a story of two tracks, an error and a surprise. ;)

The tracks were GVS and R246, the rest will follow shortly. Took the car to GVS first and easily beat the competition in the 550PP race machinery, including the GT3 BMWs. There was some understeer, or rather the front could not deal with the shove the engine put out, even if you did your corner entries at appropriate speeds. And the rear was so rock solid that I doubted for a second, whether it was really Greycap's creation ;) But it really moved and the times were stellar. 👍

This is where I noticed the mistake - in my haste to try it out, I forgot to turn off the TCS. Situation rectified, I retried the track with surprising results. The rear was lively as expected from the creator, and it now required care in coming out of slow corners. The bottom of the hill U just before the end of the first sector required special concentration and the curve between tunnel 1 and 2 did, too.

Nothing that could be called unmanageable but where previously you could apply full throttle super early, this was more of a balancing act. Leading to the surprise - the lap times.

This is the first road car of not too much power where for me the times with TCS were FASTER than without! After 10 laps without I managed to get the difference down to 0.5 secs but still curious.

At R246 it managed somewhat better - I.e. no surprises in terms of driving, apart from relatively low speeds in corners (I tend to take them all faster in say a Finnish inspired 500PP NSX, the difference then being made up by superior straight line pace).

And even with TCS off the livelier rear will not help the slightly too low grip levels at the front. These are not a major problem, they just mean that less than full power can be applied in many corner situations, thereby not allowing the car to fully benefit from its stellar engine.

Still, a very fast, highly accomplished car overall, and one, which will likely get you in front most of the time 👍

The Corvette followed with a slight delay but I wanted both tested before posting, so as to have a benchmark. And the results were surprising, even if I switched the TCS off from the start :)

Namely the large V8 had a relatively hard time to get the rear to step out and the car truly cornered like on rails. The two things are of course hardly unheard off for a Leonidae creation but the contrast to the M4 was pronounced. The tracks chosen were the same and the results generally, too; and like with your tested lap times the M4 was faster in my hands, too - even if not by nearly as much.

What was surprising was where the cars won / lost time. For the Vette it was all about the corners. Everywhere where the M4 could only work with less than full shove the Corvette would allow a pedal to the metal approach. And while in all fairness the M4 managed to get to the corners faster (allowing experimentation with entry speeds beyond that possible for the Vette), I still got the Vette through quicker, even in constant speed turns, with the difference being up to 10 kmh.

Sadly as far as lap times go it helped little, since the BMW would simply vanish into the distance on the straights, making up for the corner deficit.

So the verdict? The Vette was easier to drive, cornered better but remained ultimately slower. Both are very intriguing in their own ways and shall see much use in the months ahead 👍

The reply to the M4 review will come later but now I'd like to have a word about a thing I've already pointed out in the past. So once more:
If you want to quote the setup post, please keep it down to the essentials. Do not quote the entire post. Partly because it doesn't do too much good for the readability of the thread but mainly because the setup may be changed and we don't want people making a review based on the setup they found in the quote when browsing the thread as it may differ quite greatly from the improved version. Take a look at this and this for textbook examples on how to do it.
With the gearbox issue in v1.17 this is more current than ever before. At the moment none of the existing FC transmission setups work and depending on how following updates handle the situation we may, or hopefully may not, have to redo them all. And I don't want a single quoted transmission setup floating around the thread especially if they have to be changed.

So would @danbojte and @SPENCEINATOR please take a couple of steps to this direction and edit the reviews on pages 1 and 3 accordingly so we can continue without me having to get annoyed.

EDIT - we're clear, thank you!

Last edited:
While our daughter was in kindergarten today I managed to try out the ST variety of the Ford GT. Expecting a bit of a handful the result was positively calming :)

This time it was a story of two tracks, no surprises but some embarrassment. Tried it at Suzuka first, then at GVS, as its maker intended.

At Suzuka it did not throw up any negative surprises or display worrying characteristics. It would get to just over 300kmh on the main straight (not sure if the gearbox issue is resolved or the car not affected) and practically fly past everything else by that point. The braking distance was naturally longer but it was all assured and stress free. With a bit of practice one could get good speed through the corners of the first section, although I suspect it is not the fastest cornering 600PP machine out there. And then it really starts its afterburners in the second sector. It took me several laps to get 200R sufficiently right so that I did not need to lift and 130R definitely did not work without prior braking, at least not for yours truly. And if your throttle application tends towards the sudden and violent, the rear will also progressively step out when getting from the Casio Triangle to the Main Straight.

GVS was next. Here braking into the first corner demands some concentration to ensure you do not under steer out of the corner but nothing dramatic, really. Apart from that it does both constant speed turns and tight ones fairly benignly, and the straights are - here too - where you will really fly.

In spite of the massive power, the car hardly ever shocks with a sting in the tail. Sure, oversteer is often possible but also easy to catch. Progressively applying the throttle will nicely stabilize the line, too.

What is probably the most difficult aspect for a lesser helmsman is the unwillingness to turn at part / feathered throttle - but then that would not be a novelty for a Greycap car ;) The steering wheel is for expressing intent of direction, with the execution always demanding the throttle, too. It means that braking too late needs quite feisty work with the back end, and simply letting go of the throttle would generally result in missing the apex and subsequently the track altogether ;)

So overall an impressively benign car, given its 600PP potential. Now time to own up to my embarrassment. While I generally manage lap times between 1,5 and 2,5 secs off your posted times, here - at GVS, which is hardly unfamiliar - I stayed behind by about 4 :( Ouch... Let's see what practice achieves.

Hope to be able to do the Camaro soon, too, for a comparison and then it is the CTR2 left, and a yearning for some additional releases ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Posts

Back