Major Earthquake & Tsunami in Japan

• Thread starter a6m5
  • 1,128 comments
I really hope everyone is okay from this earthquake. Today hasn't been a good day for the Northeast US either as we have either a huge snowstorm or massive flooding due to almost a half foot of rain but that pales in comparison to the earthquake.

Wathcing some of the videos on BBC.co.uk/news... man it is absolutley incredible.

Wishing everybody in Japan the best of luck getting through this.

The supermoon thing is complete nonsense. Atleast, I'm not buying it. Maybe I'm not understanding the basic premise correctly - that the Moon's proximity is, by virtue of its gravitational influence on the Earth, capable of triggering massive earthquakes. If that is the case, then I wonder how the same effects are happening when the moon is nowhere near perigee? Right at this point in time, the moon is closer to apogee than perigee, but it's roughly around the midpoint i.e. at approx. the average distance than the Moon is from the Earth. On December 26th, 2004, however, it was one day shy of being at apogee (i.e. it's farthest point from the Earth in it's orbital period), and hence I'm at an even greater loss as to how anyone can suggest that the Moon's proximity to Earth had anything to do with what happened to the Earth's tectonic plates on that particular day.

The supermoon thing is complete nonsense. Atleast, I'm not buying it. Maybe I'm not understanding the basic premise correctly - that the Moon's proximity is, by virtue of its gravitational influence on the Earth, capable of triggering massive earthquakes. If that is the case, then I wonder how the same effects are happening when the moon is nowhere near perigee? Right at this point in time, the moon is closer to apogee than perigee, but it's roughly around the midpoint i.e. at approx. the average distance than the Moon is from the Earth. On December 26th, 2004, however, it was one day shy of being at apogee (i.e. it's farthest point from the Earth in it's orbital period), and hence I'm at an even greater loss as to how anyone can suggest that the Moon's proximity to Earth had anything to do with what happened to the Earth's tectonic plates on that particular day.
Could apogee be the cause then and not perigee? We have seen bad earthquakes over the winter months (winter months in the US that is) so maybe the further away the moon the more devastating?

Insane, I'm fearing where the "Ring of Fire" tectonic plate shifting will effect next.
:scared:

Could apogee be the cause then and not perigee? We have seen bad earthquakes over the winter months (winter months in the US that is) so maybe the further away the moon the more devastating?

Nope. Given that the Moon is not at apogee right now but is roughly at its average distance from us, I'd say that it is more likely that the proximity of the Moon has nothing to do with it at all.

You'll have to admit though that there is a big difference in size between apogee and perigee...

apogee_perigee.jpg

They've started discovering hundreds of bodies in Japan.. :(
I just heard this on the news. I think I was in denial. Telling by the NHK footage from last night, hundreds, maybe thousands of deaths were unavoidable.

In Oregon, now they are focused on the local tsunami warning & evacuation. I hope we are able to avoid anymore losses of life from this quake.

My heart goes out to my brothers and sisters in Japan. I understand what they are going through because my coastal hometown was badly hit by a tsunami 2 years ago. A prayer to all those who were not able to make it.

I just switched the TV on and I was shocked by what I saw. Some of my friends in here are also east-asians.

You'll have to admit though that there is a big difference in size between apogee and perigee...

apogee_perigee.jpg

So what? It goes through this cycle every month... and while this perigree (not due for another 8 days, while apogee was only 5 days ago) will be closer than the average perigee, it's only around 2% closer than the average, it is less than 0.3% closer than atleast 10 other perigees in the last 5 years.

Sad news :( This can happen here in Lisbon, we are expecting a very large since a long time :S And can hit us like this hitted Japan, and then a Tsunami :nervous:

I hope they get well.

The supermoon thing is complete nonsense. Atleast, I'm not buying it. Maybe I'm not understanding the basic premise correctly - that the Moon's proximity is, by virtue of its gravitational influence on the Earth, capable of triggering massive earthquakes.

I'm not sure either. Supposedly the phase is also important but I don't understand it.

"Space weather forecasting is still in its infancy, but we're making rapid progress," says Thomas Bogdan, director of NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center in Boulder, Colorado.
http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/04jun_swef/

Saddened by the tragedy in Japan,
Dotini

I've heard that the tsunami will continue its way to Hawaii, so Philippines is safe... for now.

I've heard that the tsunami will continue its way to Hawaii, so Philippines is safe... for now.

Indonesia apparently was supposed to be hit so the Philippines could be affected. I'm not sure if it got any waves though.

Hawaii just been hit.

I'm watching the website you just posted, and i saw that the water is
getting pushed to the ocean, that occurs when big waves are on the way :S

It can only be me, i dont know if you guys just saw the same.

Was that a joke? It looks like the waves went through a new car car park. I live near a car manufacturing plant that has a giant parking lot like that. Seeing as a lot of the cars look like the same model/color thats my guess as to what that picture is showing.

My thoughts are with Japan's tearful disaster, but we must realize we stand zero chance against the natural occurances of mother Earth, and what is still yet to come for all of us in the near future, when our glaciers have melted away.

A cool idea would be for all of PD customers, that includes ourselves, to get off our asses today, get together, all 6+ million strong of us, and form a GT humanitarian relief effort and use the power of our internet, our spines, our hands, to help all those in need there. Am I just dreaming, or is this possible to do? I guess it starts with ourselves. I'm willing to quit my day job to go there right now. It would make me more happy, than sitting here, and reading about Seasonal updates and ways to grind around Indy for money.

Back