Major League Baseball: 2010 Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by JohnBM01, Feb 26, 2010.

1. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

With Spring Training and stuff going underway, it's time to open a new season of Major League Baseball. One of my ambitions was to try to make the baseball forum as active as I can. This, as well as some of my past threads, will help.

So welcome to the 2010 season! Let's chat from Spring Training all the way to that team who wins the World Series!

2. Nicksfix

Nicksfix Premium

Not a whole lot of off season excitement in Tribe town this past year.To be honest,I'm not really seeing a great season happening in Cleveland this year.Marginal-at best. :indiff:

Oh well,good luck Tribe and good luck to all of your teams as well. :tup:

3. Northstar

Northstar Premium

We still haven't signed Mauer.:nervous:

I don't want to say this but if we can't get him signed we need to trade him so we don't wind up with nothing.

That is the first thing I'm going to do on Tuesday though when I pick up MLB 10. Sign Mauer to the longest possible contract.

Other than the whole Mauer contract issue the Twins are looking good. Still have the lackluster bullpen and a starting lineup that is questionable. Although Liriano looked like a beast during the Winter league he played in.

4. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

My Astros will begin Exhibition play this coming Thursday. Unless your team is really good and with a solid lineup, it's really anybody's championship to win. It's anyone's chance to make the playoffs and win in your division. I already know my Astros are looking up at Chicago Cubs and St. Louis for NL Central supremacy. I do try to keep up with the Texas Rangers as far as trying to keep up with AL teams. Texas is usually pretty talented year after year, but never really show it when it's money time (the playoffs or trying to get into the playoffs).

5. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Strong start for the Astros in their first exhibition game. They pounded the Washington Nationals 15-5. A nine-run fourth inning was the deciding factor of this match.

I hope your teams are starting well, too!

6. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Three Spring Training games for my Astros, and here's how we've done:

* 15-5, Houston
    * 17-7, Detroit

Now today's match... we won 3-0 over the Atlanta Braves in Grapefruit League play. We put up seven hits compared to the Braves' six hits. The only error of the game was from Atlanta.

Here are a few other completed games as of this post ("home" team winners in CAPITAL letters)...

Grapefruit League
    * TAMPA BAY beats Boston 6-4.
    * BOSTON defeats Minnesota 9-3.
    * New York Mets beat Washington 14-6.
    * Toronto beat down the New York Yankees 9-1.

Cactus League
    -none completed-

Most of the games of my Astros will be on at 1:05 PM Eastern Time this month. A few 7:05 PM games are on tap for my Astros during Spring Training. I'm watching the White Sox vs. Cubs right now as of this post.

7. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Can you believe it? The new season starts up proper NEXT WEEK! My Astros will host the San Francisco Giants in our first game of the new season. The pitching matchup? How does THIS sound: Roy Oswalt (HOU) vs. Tim Lincecum (SF)!

What, if anything, concerns you about your favorite teams and players this upcoming season?

UPDATE The 2010 debut of ESPN Sunday Night Baseball will feature the Yankees at the Red Sox. Those are two of the only teams ESPN mostly cares about (guess the NBA that is the other in ESPN's foursomes).

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  8. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Yeah ESPN is a complete joke and so is the MLB coverage.

I just spent last week in Scottsdale Arizona for Spring Training and it was pretty sweet. I got to see Pablo Sandoval shag fly balls in the outfield which awesome. He also spent a lot of time flirty with the honeys and skipping around with a big smile on his face.. It's hard not to love him. Speaking of Sandoval.. he has slimmed down a bit and now won't have sight problems like he did last year. He is also completely healthy so he will hopefully have it power stroke through out the year. Our offense looks much better this year with the addition of Mark DeRosa and Aubrey Huff. Huff is looking for a rebound year which would be amazing if he could do. Freddy Sanchez and Juan Uribe are also back (Sanchez to start on DL) but Uribe is scheduled to play 2nd in the mean time. If Uribe can do half of what he did last September (.325 AVG, 8 HR, 23 RBI, .596 SLG, .970 OPS) then he will be golden. He was unstoppable.

Also Buster Posey is likely to be on the club despite the fact that Bengie Molina is back with us. He is likely to start 2 games at catcher and play a couple at first every week. The kid is a cream of the crop player and needs to be played. Also it looks like John Bowker has won the job for RF which is awesome because he provides power that this club needs. (Back in 2008 he hit 4 HR's in his first week in the bigs.)

And finally our pitching I think will be even better then last year... Cain, Lincecum and Sanchez are all getting better every year and are now a year older and looking to carry this team to the playoffs. Zito is also showing signs of his past with Oakland improving his ERA to 4.03 last year. Todd Wellemeyer is our new #5 pitcher who struggled with the Cardinals last year with injuries. But it will be nice to have a solid #5 for once.

And our bullpen is just about bullet proof with no more gas cans in there with 4+ ERA's. Affeldt, Wilson both signed extensions along with Licecum and Cain. We also re-signed Medders because he was clutch as hell last year. And with the addition of Runzler another hard throwing lefty who was to nasty for the minor leagues so he went from high A in San Jose to the bigs and first outing was against the beef of the Brewers order which is one of the best in the league... He did it striking out three guys in a row. Blowing fastballs by Fielder and Braun and getting them off balance with a off speed pitch isn't as easy as typing just that.

I'm excited but the NL West is still damn good and Arizona will be back in it this year. Padres will also surprise some people but will be no where near the Rockies, D-Backs, Dodgers and Giants. Any four of those teams have a chance to win it and the Wild Card is likely to come from here AGAIN.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to opening day at AT&T next Friday against the Braves. Hell yeah!

9. TS

TS

D-backs are going to contend this year! :D

Brandon Webb (hopefully) is healthy and has one of the nastiest sinker balls in the bigs, him along with Dan Haren and Edwin Jackson, we have probably the best rotation in the NL West.

Reynolds and Upton had great seasons last year and both have a chance to make the all star roster and hopefully Conor Jackson can contribute too as he is healthy again.

My only concern with the team is the back end of the starting rotation, AJ Hinch really hasn't said anything about who would be the 4 and 5 starters yet and the bullpen which cost us a bunch of games last year.

10. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Opening Night for Major League Baseball this season is this Sunday with the Yankees traveling to Fenway Park to take on the hated Boston Red Sox. I checked the schedule for Sunday, and there looks to be one more Spring Training game between Seattle and San Francisco Easter Sunday in the afternoon.

Pretty soon, the opening pitch for a new season will be underway! I can only hope my Astros can make plenty of noise in the NL Central (and in the NL overall). The D-Backs and Giants can basically play themselves 162 times to determine who the better NL West team will be. In the NL East, something tells me that Atlanta, Philadelphia, and Florida can be a three-way fight for NL East honors.

So as we look to the new season...
    * Who will win in each division of both the American and National Leagues?
    * What AL and NL teams are sleepers/dark horses to win in their division (or even their respective American/National League championships)?

11. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

Hopefully Florida balls out this season. This way the new stadium will actually be full since people will be excited for the team again.

12. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

Timmy Vs. Oswalt tomorrow!!! Should make a great game. John Bowker was announced to have won the starting RF job for my Giants which is awesome news because he has 30+ HR potential. And won the MiLB award for top AAA hitter in 2009. In his minor league carrier Bowker has hit .296 with 48 home runs and 250 RBI in 104 minor league games.

He played a little in 08 and 09 but never got a real shot to prove him self. His chance is now after murdering the pitching in spring training hes ready to go make a name for himself. If he turns out he along with Posey can really turn ball club in a good hitting team. Posey has very good patience and hits for average and has a little bit of pop (carrier high will probably be around 22-25 HRs.) Bowker hit for decent average and has loads of pop... If he pans out he could be a 35-40+ HR during his peak. And of course Sandoval has already proven himself capable of hitting for a high average and showed pop and will likely peak around 35 HRs but I will not be surprised if he ever will hit 40+ but you will see a dip in his average in that case. But with some talent in the near future and a pitching staff that's locked up we will be contenders for a few more years at least. I'm pumped.

13. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Good luck to all 30 teams this season, including my Astros! I doubt I'll see all of this game because I'll be watching the Butler vs. Duke game for the National Championship. The Astros just need to play sound and solid baseball for nine innings and then some. My Astros really need a lift after the shortcomings of the past few seasons.

Giants at Astros... should be a good series! Bay Area meets Space City.

14. TS

TS

Woooo D-Backs win!!

Dan Haren was sensational today, as was Mark Reynolds who hit a homerun in his 2nd at bat and Steven Drew scored an inside the park homerun too.

15. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Tigers came out looking good today, excited for the season! I really wish it was going to be nicer on Friday because I would call off work and head down to opening day. I might try to get tickets for Saturday though since it's supposed to be 60 and sunny.

16. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

5-2 (MON), 3-0 (TUE), and 10-4 (WED (Today))... Giants sweep a Berkman-less Astros squad. We're 0-3 to start the new season. Yay, us... Phillies hit H-Town this weekend.

17. Speedy Samurai

Speedy Samurai Premium

I expect the Astros to finish in the basement of the NL central this year. And that's saying something.

18. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

You know, it would be saying something, now that I think about it. It's like my Texans in the AFC South... looking up at Indy and Tennessee. The Cubs and Cardinals are the two top dogs in the NL Central. I just don't want my boys being worse than... Pittsburgh in the NL Central.

Lots of people already writing off the 2010 Astros, but I try to remain positive.

19. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

I wouldn't worry to much about the year... The Giants historically own the Astros... like how seemingly we can't beat the Pirates every year. I wouldn't expect a great year but the Astros have a good track record on rebuilding fast even though they don't have much in there farm system. Astros will be a better team when Berkman gets back but how much better is to be determined.

The awesome thing I saw the Giants do which makes me super happy is that they were taking pitches. I really think that our new hitting coach is helping our younger guys. And now looking at the Giants lineup.. I see 4-5 guys in the middle of it that can potentially hit 20+ bombs and 80+ RBI's... They won't all do it obviously but to see that potential is awesome.

I'm going to the Giants home opener tomorrow against the Braves and get to see one of my all time favorite players (Chipper Jones) again and see there new stud Jason Heyward play. Tomorrow is Johnathan Sanchez Vs. Tim Hudson so it should be a good deal. I have Sanchez along with Bowker having breakout years this year so now is my time to see what he can do.

20. Joey D

Joey D Premium

WooHoo Tiger's opening day tomorrow, I'm going to be preoccupied at work for a bit after the game starts. I think I might lock myself in the server room and watch the game on my phone or laptop or something. I am going on Saturday to the game though so it should be fun! Went out an got some new Tiger's stuff to wear tonight.

21. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Braves at Giants should be a great series. Good hitting by Atlanta vs. the solid pitching of San Francisco. Best of luck to all teams in weekend series this weekend. Also, thanks to the Nationals for hanging a loss over the Phillies' heads. Now let me hope my Astros can beat them this weekend. Getting your first win against the defending champs is ALWAYS a great thing.

I think here in Houston, it will be Turn Back the Clock night on Saturday, as we'll be wearing some '60s uniforms for our game. I still love the old blue and orange rainbow colors of the '80s.

22. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

EDGER MOTHER#$&@*$^@ RENTERIA!!!

Its been along since I've seen a place get so damn loud. But then Edgar Renteria hit a 2 run bomb in the bottom of the ninth to rival the 09' playoffs... Then Rowand got his walk off single in the 13th... Giants still undefeated!!! SF blew up this afternoon. Renteria the hottest hitter in baseball baby!!

23. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Meanwhile... the Astros are winless. We lost 8-0, and I had already lost interest in the game when we were down 7-0. I just checked the upcoming schedule for the Astros. And man... it's BRUTAL! After we're done failing against Philly, we are at St. Louis, at the Cubs, and then back home to face Omnis' Marlins for the next upcoming series.

The regular season debut of the MLB on FOX is this weekend. Two AL matches and then Cardinals at Brewers to be shown on FOX. Enjoy the weekend games!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2010
  24. Speedy Samurai

Speedy Samurai Premium

The astros lack only 2 things to make them competitive. Pitching and batting.

25. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

Astros lost 9-6(?) against the Phillies. When I saw the ESPNEWS highlights, a heading for this game talked about how the Phillies hope (and I surely hope this DOESN'T happen) to give the Astros their worst start in 27 years. People, I 27 years old.

I did some reading online about the '83 Astros. The year I was born, the Astros got their first win of the 1983 season in their 10th game as they beat the Montreal Expos 7-6 to go to 1-9 on that season. They'd go on to win that series against the Expos at the good old Astrodome. We're 0-5 right now, and I doubt we'll be a baseball version of the 2009-2010 New Jersey Nets. Besides, that honor is usually for the Washington Nationals.

A win against the Phillies to set ourselves up for our first road trip of the season would be great. We're going to St. Louis after this series, so anything to feel good about the season so far would be great. We're the only winless team so far.

26. Omnis

Omnis Staff Emeritus

I hate the Dodgers.

27. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Tigers did well yesterday, I was slightly surprised too since Bonderman was pitching and he can typically find a way to blow it.

28. Prosthetic

Prosthetic

I love you.

29. JohnBM01

JohnBM01 Premium

No Astros love right now. They just lost 2-1, and are on their way to St. Louis for their first road series of the season. At this point, I'd be surprised if we win either or both series coming up for the Astros. The next three series: at Cardinals, at Cubs, vs. Pirates.

The ESPN Sunday Night Baseball game tonight is St. Louis at Milwaukee. With the trades Milwaukee made, I'm skeptical on the Brew Crew making noise in the NL Central.

30. Joey D

Joey D Premium

Tigers made one hell of a come back today, they are looking real good here at the start of the season! Cleveland completely blew the game too and they should have one, but the errors and walks didn't help them any.