Major League Baseball: 2010 Thread

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 219 comments
I don't know, the Astros are 0-6 and are currently the worse team in baseball. Their season start is pretty unimpressive, who knows though, maybe they just haven't gotten into their grove yet?

I don't know, the Astros are 0-6 and are currently the worse team in baseball. Their season start is pretty unimpressive, who knows though, maybe they just haven't gotten into their grove yet?

And by the time they do, it will be too late.

I'm an astros fan, but I have to be realistic here. Gone are Biggio, Bagwell, and (right now) Berkman. Oswalt is older, they no longer have a dominant bullpen. Billy Wagner and Brad Lidge aren't around anymore to close out close games. Who's their #2? Wandy Rodriguez? This team will struggle the entire year.

Damn the Astro's got shut out today, now they're 0-7 and that's pretty lame.

The Tigers played like crap today, 4 errors? I mean really? They should have done so much better than they did. Losing 10-5 is fairly unacceptable in my book. There is always tomorrow barring they don't get rained out.

I'm curious how they'll fair on their west coast road trip. 11 games right in a row. At least it'll give me something to watch/listen.

I haven't given up on the Astros... it's just that many others have already written off the Astros. Sports is "what have you done for me lately?" If lately means falling on your face and stumbling, then it's not so good the rest of the way. The Astros' winless start was even mentioned in PTI's Big Finish, where Tony Korneheiser said, "there's still 150+ games left in the season."

We get a day off tomorrow, then get back to work Wednesday night at St. Louis. We got beat 5-0 at the Cardinals, but that's NOTHING compared to the 17-2 beatdown San Diego put on Atlanta in San Diego (at least Atlanta scored).

I'd rather be beat 5-0 then 17-2.

Giants are on fire right now and I love it. Just beat the Pirates 9-3 and Huff hit a ball 420 feet and it still wasn't a home run.. Welcome to AT&T Huff!!! Sandoval is starting to get going, Renteria is cooling off and Huff and Molina were machines tonight. On that note one of the issues we had last year was not drawing walks and putting Huff and DeRosa in the middle of the lineup PLUS our new hitting coach is looking like its paying off. And on another note... Bengie Molina just tied Bob Brenley for most RBI's by a catcher in a Giants uniform with 263? I think it was... To lazy to look it up.

Zito off to a good start which is awesome... Maybe this is the year he gets his ERA below 4. He had a 4.03 last year so it isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Giants need to keep up the walks and timely hitting if they want to keep on being successful. Getting on base and moving runners over is the name of the game. The long balls with come with 5 guys with 20+ HR potential (Sandoval, Molina, Huff, Bowker and DeRosa.) You can make that 6 if Uribe gets enough at bats and keeps smashing the ball the way he can.

I doubt they all will but its all potential... And I guess technically Rowand too... But that's just crazy talk! The thing is, our pitching still rocks and are hitting has improved. Lets go Giants!!!

Time to make post various discussion questions...

* Are there any rookies or players playing for new teams that have impressed you so far? If so, who?

* If you had to pick any sleepers to make the playoffs, win either the ALCS or NLCS, or even win the World Series, who are your sleepers this season?

Again, my Astros won't head back onto the field until Wednesday night, so all you other MLB teams keep me company on this Tuesday! :D

Once we get Berkman back, we'll be doing better. But I will admit, we aren't doing very good right now! And we do need a better bullpin.

Tigers did well today, a nice come back win for them. They started off pretty poor but rallied in the end so I can't complain too much. I wish I could have watched the game though.

Brett Myers (HOU) vs. Brad Penny (STL) on the mound tonight at St. Louis. Astros 0-7 while St. Louis is 5-2.

Good luck to all teams playing tonight! Let's win one for a change, Astros! Please?

My Giants brought the bats today after a shotty outing last night! Last night was terrible in every way... So the Giants were angry today. Sanchez on the mound started off struggling to find any sort of rhythm but after a big 2nd inning that included a inside the park home run by Huff (first as a Giant) and then a three run home run by back up catcher Eli Whiteside. Sanchez came back and absolutely dominated the Pirates after that going 8 full innings striking out 11 walking 3 and allowing only 3 hits. He is now tied with Lincecum and Halladay with most K's in the league! Not only that but later in the game Rowand hit a monster HR to left field. Also a side note.. Huff is now frustrated with be AT&T'd. Today alone he hit 3 balls 400+ feet and none of them left the yard. A fly out, double and in side the park will have to do. One last side note, all of our runs came by the home run. Awesome!

I wish we had a Reset button or that we'd upload a saved game... Astros lost 2-1 to fall to 0-8. Before the game on FOX Sports Houston, some good insight was made on teams that start 0-7 and how they would end up as the season went along. The [New York] Giants in the... I think the 1950s, went 0-11 and won either the World Series or a Divisional championship. All the scoring was done in the first inning.

The final game of this series before our trip to the Chicago Cubs is at high Noon (CDT). A win heading into the Cubs would be better than being 0-9 and being everybody's whipping boy...

Astros lose AGAIN... my goodness, what's wrong with us? ... yeah right. Astros BEAT the Cardinals 5-1 for our first win of the season. It's now time to face the Cubs in Chicago in the weekend series.

Astros lose AGAIN... my goodness, what's wrong with us? ... yeah right. Astros BEAT the Cardinals 5-1 for our first win of the season. It's now time to face the Cubs in Chicago in the weekend series.

YAAAAAAAAY!!! :) I've been rooting for those Astros the second the Giants left Texas.

Giants have today as they get ready to suit up for war. YEAH! BEAT LA! Giants and Dodgers will renew there hostilities Friday night and I hope the Giants bring there bats to pound the Bums into the ground!

The Giants 7-2 start has stirred the city of SF and we are now restless until we pound the Doggies into the ground. Wellemeyer is getting the start Friday night which is a big deal as he is being thrown into the middle of the bitter rivalry right off the bat. Then we have Timmy and Zito who have been un-hittable so far. I'm on the edge of my seat waiting for this damn series to begin.

We are off to a 7-3 start, we destroyed the Red Sox today 8-0. Hopefully we can be the second team in a row to to open a new stadium with a World Series.:)

Still seems surreal to be playing outdoors at home though.

I've been uneasy about Minneapolis with an open stadium for baseball. I've feared things like snow storms or something. Then again, I've never been outside of Texas in my life, so how would I know what weather is like in Minneapolis-St. Paul this time of year?

Twins creamed the Red Sox today. Well done!

I've been uneasy about Minneapolis with an open stadium for baseball. I've feared things like snow storms or something. Then again, I've never been outside of Texas in my life, so how would I know what weather is like in Minneapolis-St. Paul this time of year?

Twins creamed the Red Sox today. Well done!

It's not bad in Spring-Summer, normally if it does rain it's in the morning or later at night and most of the showers we get are just scattered ones that don't last very long. Fall is a different story though, it's really hard to predict what it will be like. However it normally doesn't start snowing until late Oct.-November at the earliest so the worst weather wise is it might get a little cold.

I think it will work out fine though, we have had an open stadium before(Met Stadium up until the '80's) and there are other teams that have open stadiums and are in a "cold" climate.

We are off to a 7-3 start, we destroyed the Red Sox today 8-0. Hopefully we can be the second team in a row to to open a new stadium with a World Series.:)

Still seems surreal to be playing outdoors at home though.

One ESPN writer predicted a Twins Vs. Giants WS with the Giants coming out on top in game 7. :D

And to respond to John's question. I think you will see the Oakland A's contending for the AL West.

Rookies... Um.. No one really... Hayward obviously but he isn't going to make much noise this season. He is way to easy to strikeout... I think a fair comparison is Adam Dunn with better defense.

Last edited:
Astros got rocked today 7-2 at Chicago Cubs. Fulchino got taken deep later in the game on a three-run jack by the Cubs.

On Saturday on FOX, there will be two NL games featured and one AL game featured. Here's what's coming up:
* Mets at Cardinals
* Giants at Dodgers (I think I know who Prosthetic wants to see win this one)
* White Sox at Indians

And on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball, it will be the Mets at the Cardinals. So that's the second-straight Sunday Night game featuring the Cardinals.

Enjoy this weekend's games, people!

Astros forced a Rubber Game on Sunday at the Cubs. We won 4-3, but while I was at home getting ready to head out for the day, we were up 3-0. Roy Oswalt gets his first win of the new season.

Prosthetic's Giants creamated the Dodgers 9-0. My man Tim Lincecum got the win and got about 4 or so K's (strikeouts) in the game.

UPDATES

* So I don't forget, CONGRATULATIONS to Jimenez (there's an accent somewhere) on pitching a no-hitter. Congratulations on the no-no, man!

* What a marathon in St. Louis! The Mets beat the Cardinals 2-1 in an unfathomable 20 innings! It was the only the seventh or so game in MLB history to be scoreless through 19 innings. Baseball stats scare and freak me out sometimes. All the records and stuff that are kept!

Last edited:
Ya that Mets/Cardinals game was nuts.

The Tigers played pretty meh last night, I was sort of disappointed. Oh well hopefully this afternoon they can save the series from being a wash out.

Prosthetic's Giants creamated the Dodgers 9-0. My man Tim Lincecum got the win and got about 4 or so K's (strikeouts) in the game.

Hell we did!! Payback from last night even thought we came back and it was only a 10-8 loss. Timmy's line from yesterday was 6 IP 4 H 2 W 7 K 0 R

Here is a neat fact.. Timmy also went 3-4 yesterday with 3 RBI's so now he has more RBI's (3) then earned runs (2)

I love the man!

On a side note.. Aaron Rowand is out for 2 weeks (3 if he needs surgery) with two broken cheekbones and a concussion thanks for headhunter Padilla for knocking him down. Either it was intentional or not is beyond me but he is a notorious head hunter and was actually released from the Rangers for being such. He also has pulled a knife on ex-teammate Ian Kinsler. Rowand and Padilla were both teammates in Philly so something might of gone on there but who knows. Its not the first time they have faced.

Anyways red-hot Eugenio Velez will replace him and likely bat lead-off. Another note... DeRosa is day to day, he hurt his hamstring on a slide but its nothing serious. And one last note... The Giants traded outfielder Fred Lewis to Toronto for cash for PTBNL (Player to be named later.) Lewis was never given the chance to fully develop in the bigs like so many of our other prospects thanks to our stupid front office. Good move anyways because I'm a fan of his and I will now be a Blue Jay's fan and root for him to succeed. Go spread your wings Lewis!! Soar above and beyond the confines of AT&T park!! *sniff* *sniff* They grow up so fast! :D

Last of the Giants Vs. Dodgers series this afternoon. Zito Vs. Kershaw. Kershaw has been given up a lot of walks so if we can be patient and capitalize on mistakes it will help Zito settle which so far he has been able to do. Lets go Giants!!

Oh and Congrats to Ubaldo!! The stud is growing up... Last time I remember him pitching against SF we creamed him. Rockies are good this year, they going to make a real good run for it.

Tell you what, Prosthetic... I'd love to see a pitching duel between Lincecum and Jimenez. Doesn't matter if it's in San Francisco or in Denver (though you know I love AT&T Park).

My Astros are currently tied 2-2 at the Cubs. Bottom of the 9th with 2 outs. If we can hold on, we'll force extra innings. I'd love to say that we're finally getting the offense going, and that's especially if we can hang on. Maybe I update this post or make a separate post in the future on how this game goes.

We lost 10-5 today, still 4-0 series wise though.👍

Next Cleveland comes to town, going to predict a 5-0 series start.

Just like the AFC in the NFL, the NL East goes through Miami. My Astros will take on the Florida Marlins in a three-game set at Minute Maid Park. It's the JohnBM01 vs. Omnis series. * Cubs will continue their series against the Mets at the Mets. I think they've lost three straight games since my team took the series at Chicago. * Here's a big one in Phoenix... Phillies at Diamondbacks with Harang on the mound for the snakes. That should be a good series against the defending NL and World Series champs.

I guess the Red Sox knows what it's like to stink since they're now 4-9. I still think the Red Sox will still make life Hell for that blue and white team in the Bronx for AL East honors.

Enjoy tonight's games!

I guess the Red Sox knows what it's like to stink since they're now 4-9. I still think the Red Sox will still make life Hell for that blue and white team in the Bronx for AL East honors.

I would say Tampa or Toronto have a better shot at taking the top from NY(Tampa currently is on top actually). Boston just looks old, it doesn't help that Ortiz is in an ultra slump.

Can't wait for tonight's game, the only thing that looks better than Target field during the day is Target Field during the night.

Back