Major League Baseball: 2012-2013 Offseason and Spring Training

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 236 comments
My men Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell may be on the 2013 ballot for the Hall of Fame. I think the official list will be announced on Wednesday, but both Biggio and Bagwell VERY MUCH deserve to go into the Hall of Fame. Hell- both were part of the "Killer B's" that kept the Astros relevant.

And also, spare a thought in loving memory of Marvin Miller, who died at 95. He was the first union leader for the MLB Players' Association (MLBPA). How will you remember Marvin Miller?

Biggio yes.

Bagwell? Questionable at best.

How the hell is Bagwell questionable? He was a premier 5 tool player in the late 90's... He has a career OPS of .948... That's higher then Hank Aaron. Most HoF players are in the 850-880 range for career. 449 career HRs, 2300+ hits .408 carrer OBP. He hit 39Hrs in 110 games in the shortened 94' season in the Astrodome a huge pitchers park. The only person ahead of him that season was Matt Williams who was likely going to break the Roger Maris record... by a lot.

How many power hitting 1B had the speed that Bagwell had? None. NONE. Little known fact he stole 30+ bags twice. In those years he hit 43 and 42 HRs. Hes never had a bad year.

I can probably name 30 players in the HoF that aren't even close to Bagwells level. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot its a ****ing crime.

EDIT: Of the people eligible... I believe these should be in..
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Mark McGwire
Roger Clemons
Curt Schilling
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza
Sammy Sosa

Verge:
Larry Walker
Rafael Palmeiro
Fred McGriff

Last edited:
How the hell is Bagwell questionable? He was a premier 5 tool player in the late 90's... He has a career OPS of .948... That's higher then Hank Aaron. Most HoF players are in the 850-880 range for career. 449 career HRs, 2300+ hits .408 carrer OBP. He hit 39Hrs in 110 games in the shortened 94' season in the Astrodome a huge pitchers park. The only person ahead of him that season was Matt Williams who was likely going to break the Roger Maris record... by a lot.

How many power hitting 1B had the speed that Bagwell had? None. NONE. Little known fact he stole 30+ bags twice. In those years he hit 43 and 42 HRs. Hes never had a bad year.

I can probably name 30 players in the HoF that aren't even close to Bagwells level. If he doesn't get in on the first ballot its a ****ing crime.

EDIT: Of the people eligible... I believe these should be in..
Edgar Martinez
Jeff Bagwell
Barry Bonds
Mark McGwire
Roger Clemons
Curt Schilling
Craig Biggio
Mike Piazza
Sammy Sosa

Verge:
Larry Walker
Rafael Palmeiro
Fred McGriff
McGwire will not make it until his last season or veterans eligibility. Sosa has a black flag and in theory Bonds and Clemens do as well (remember, it matters what they think, not always what the public thinks). Still, I think Bonds and Clemens make it because they would have been in anyways.

McGwire will not make it until his last season or veterans eligibility. Sosa has a black flag and in theory Bonds and Clemens do as well (remember, it matters what they think, not always what the public thinks). Still, I think Bonds and Clemens make it because they would have been in anyways.

It isn't up to the public but the writers. Schilling and Piazza were both users as well... how come they don't get the same persecution? Its dumb, everyone did it. Selig and the owners let it and wanted it to happen, it happened but why prosecute it? It was legal at the time.

Most writers are incredibly dumb and have no idea what they are talking about.

Bagwell is on the ballot for the 2nd time. Last year he got 56% of the vote. He should make it though.

McGuire and Bonds signify the steroid era of Baseball. Even if the the writers are a bit more forgiving on letting those two in, the record breakers at the time, public opinion will pressure them to keep them out.

New York Mets have signed 3B David Wright to an 8 year $138 Million extension, locking him up til 2020. He is the richest Met in history. R.A. Dickey likely will NOT get any contract over 2 or 3 years, even though he does deserve a big contract for his CY this year. I'm hoping that they can trade him before he leaves next year and I'm hoping they can trade him to Kansas City for either Wil Myers or a package of prospects.

New York Mets have signed 3B David Wright to an 8 year $138 Million extension, locking him up til 2020. He is the richest Met in history. R.A. Dickey likely will NOT get any contract over 2 or 3 years, even though he does deserve a big contract for his CY this year. I'm hoping that they can trade him before he leaves next year and I'm hoping they can trade him to Kansas City for either Wil Myers or a package of prospects.

Kansas City has no reason to make that trade... And if I were a fan I'd revolt.

I hate that some voters won't vote for a guy if it's his first time because "they don't deserve a first-time vote." Nonsense. Vote for a guy if he deserves to be in. Period. His numbers/credentials will be the same next year.

I hate that some voters won't vote for a guy if it's his first time because "they don't deserve a first-time vote." Nonsense. Vote for a guy if he deserves to be in. Period. His numbers/credentials will be the same next year.

Writers are pretty dumb.

A guy named Philip Humber, formerly of the Chicago White Sox, pitched a Perfect Game against the Seattle Mariners this past season. Word has it he's taken his talents... to Houston for a one-year deal. I really hope we can make something of all this pitching talent we're getting. I doubt we're going to be at pitching juggernaut status, like San Francisco or Washington or Seattle, but I just hope we don't be some team more about pitching than actual offensive production. Pitching helps, but it doesn't mean a damn thing if the rest of the team (pitchers included) can't put runs and hits on the scoreboard.

Last edited:
Kansas City has no reason to make that trade... And if I were a fan I'd revolt.

Kansas City wanted to trade him for James Shields. Based on their ownership its not ridiculous to believe.

Smart, very smart signing by the Cubbies:

From MLBTR:

Cubs To Sign Kyuji Fujikawa
By Zach Links [December 1, 2012 at 3:59pm CST]
3:59pm: Fujikawa will receive a $1MM signing bonus, $4MM in salary for 2013 and '14, plus a vesting option at $5.5MM or $6MM based on games finished, Rosenthal tweets. If the option does not vest, it turns to a $5.5MM club option with a $500K buyout (Twitter link). In total, Fujikawa has a guaranteed $9.5MM when including the buyout.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2012/12/cubs-to-sign-kyuji-fujikawa.html#P7JZQQVriUGY0JFY.99

2 years at 4MM plus team-friendly options make him a steal if he works out as an MLB closer and a very trade-able asset if the club doesn't work out for him.

Kansas City wanted to trade him for James Shields. Based on their ownership its not ridiculous to believe.

Shields is 7 years younger and is far more consistent. Shields has a much higher trade value. I wouldn't even trade Myers for Shields if I were the Royals.

With both pitchers you get one year of service for a solid for a decent #1 and a solid #2.

Myers is a potential middle of the order power bat that could be a corner stone player for the Royals for cheap for lots of years. They aren't contending next year, not unless they grab a few pieces and have some young players do some major breaking out. They need way more then just a Shields or a Dickey. They need an entire new rotation.

If the Royals were smart, they'd work with Cain, Myers, Hosmer, Moustakas, Perez, Escobar, Butler, and Gordon.

If they keep those guys in every day, develop a few arms from their system that is a very young, very cost efficient team. Sign a few of them to 4-5 year team friendly deals like Longoria, Braun and Bumgarner. The Royals have been working on these players for years now, and they are all proving to be capable major leagues. They have utilized every aspect, power, speed, almost all of them can hit for average... Very balanced. If that offense can prove them self in 2013 then pitchers will come to KC. Its a pitchers park, and pitchers love pitching in big parks with a good offense. Ask the 2012 Giants pitching staff :)

Already? Wow. Seems like just yesterday that we got trolled by Jeff Loria. Can you imagine if we had really signed Pujols last year?

Already? Wow. Seems like just yesterday that we got trolled by Jeff Loria. Can you imagine if we had really signed Pujols last year?

He'd be a Blue Jay as well now wouldn't he? :lol:

Pagan and Giants close to a deal.. baller. :) All we need is Scoots unless we going to play Arias are 2B.

Blue Jays got Eli Whiteside now... No doubt you going to win. Hes good for one hot streak a year where he does he best Buster Posey impersonation. Then hes back to being Whiteside, though he is a A LOT better then the 2011 numbers indicate.

EDIT: 4 Years 40 Million... Not bad, not as much $ per year as I would have guessed so I'm happy about that. The 4th year will probably suck but the first 2-3 will be worth it.

Last edited:
Pagan and Giants close to a deal.. baller. :) All we need is Scoots unless we going to play Arias are 2B.

Blue Jays got Eli Whiteside now... No doubt you going to win. Hes good for one hot streak a year where he does he best Buster Posey impersonation. Then hes back to being Whiteside, though he is a A LOT better then the 2011 numbers indicate.

EDIT: 4 Years 40 Million... Not bad, not as much $ per year as I would have guessed so I'm happy about that. The 4th year will probably suck but the first 2-3 will be worth it.
Good signing for San Francisco. Napoli signing was good as long as he can play 1B. Otherwise they'll need to make a trade or another signing. Whiteside deal makes no sense at all. Toronto only needs 1 catcher and now they have 4.

Blitz24
Good signing for San Francisco. Napoli signing was good as long as he can play 1B. Otherwise they'll need to make a trade or another signing. Whiteside deal makes no sense at all. Toronto only needs 1 catcher and now they have 4.

One or more of them will probably be gone by the spring.

I made up that rumor it seems. D. Gordon and Zach Lee for RA Dickey is being floated.

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back