Major League Baseball: 2012-2013 Offseason and Spring Training

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 236 comments
We've pretty much cleaned out the cupboard as far as prospects go, but the way I see it is as long as Johnson gets re signed (hehe, now that we've extended Dickey we have to extend Johnson), there's a 3 year window to do some damage. After 3 years, Dickey will probably retire, and Buerhle will be 36 and starting to go into decline. That's 3 competitive years where the Jays can restock the pipeline, and I'm confident in Anthopolous' ability to do so.

Last edited:
That little extension made it worth it... Otherwise it probably would be a bad trade unless they win it all next season.

The trade wouldn't be finalized if they didn't get an extension for him. Brilliant move by the Blue Jays.

El Gigantes extended Casilla to a 3 year $15 Mill. Its not straight 5 per year, so its probably a little back loaded by a mill or two.

They also signed Andres Torres to a year $2 Mill deal, being our 4th OF.

I guess this means the Giant's OF is superior to the one fielded by the Dodgers in your eyes. :lol:

We've pretty much cleaned out the cupboard as far as prospects go, but the way I see it is as long as Johnson gets re signed (hehe, now that we've extended Dickey we have to extend Johnson), there's a 3 year window to do some damage. After 3 years, Dickey will probably retire, and Buerhle will be 36 and starting to go into decline. That's 3 competitive years where the Jays can restock the pipeline, and I'm confident in Anthopolous' ability to do so.

Yeah, almost all of the Blue Jays top prospects are in the NL East now. If they don't get a few playoff appearances out of this group, the "brilliant" Anthropolous may just crash and burn.

Yeah, almost all of the Blue Jays top prospects are in the NL East now. If they don't get a few playoff appearances out of this group, the "brilliant" Anthropolous may just crash and burn.

These next couple years will definitely decide his fate. There's no more excuses for Anthopolous, for years people have accepted "we're a small market, we can't spend with the Yankees" (which is patently false, Toronto is the 5th largest city in North America, 4th if you don't include Mexico City, and are owned by a massive corporation who had 12.4 billion in revenues last year).

Now that he's been given the green light by ownership to spend the money, there's really no excuses any more. If this all blows up and they miss the playoffs for two years, he'll be gone and the cycle of mediocrity will continue. That being said, I prefer to be excited about finally having a team that (at least on paper) should stand toe to toe with the best of em. Anything less than a playoff spot this season goes down as a serious disappointment.

I guess this means the Giant's OF is superior to the one fielded by the Dodgers in your eyes. :lol:

Why do you continue to put words in my mouth? Nah, I'd rather have the Dodgers OF over ours but only because of Kemp. Crawford is better then Blanco but not by a huge margin, but we have Gary Brown and when he gets to the show he will probably be better then Crawford.

Now defensively? I like our OF much better. But Kemp is what makes your OF but its not like we have a bad CF in Pagan he is just hits 1st and not 3rd. Pence and Ethier are a wash in terms of all around performance.

But I'd much rather have our INF and pitching staff (starting and relief).

See you mistaken me as someone who has blind love with a team... When in reality I continue to put statistics that prove most of your points wrong. Yet I never get a retort with actual facts. Just little 'wait and see' things. All I heard during the season is how the Giants didn't have a chance and the Dodgers were going to run away with it. And I heard it even more in the 2nd half when you guys made a move I heard it even more. Dodger fans didn't even give us a chance despite the fact the Giants were so far ahead.

We did that all last season without Lincecum, without a healthy Sandoval for most of the season, without Pence. Then take into fact both Crawford and Belt rose there average up .50 points in the second half. They are both young and talented players, both were top 10 prospects for the Giants during some very prosperous years. Belt being a top 25 prospect with worlds of potential.

Its not just you, its the majority of the media. During the Playoffs they just thought the Giants were playing tough competition. Nope, well they were but not wasn't the reason. The Giants played like crap at home for the last month for whatever reason. We couldn't pitch or hit at home. But every time we hit the road we destroyed everyone. Of course ESPN wouldn't know that, they don't watch West Coast games. When it was the Tigers Vs. Giants they just saw ZOMG VERLANDURZ DEY CAN'T LOOZE. Despite the fact the Giants won 94 games in a tougher division compared to the 88 games the Tigers won. Hell the Giants won 86 games in 2011 with 25 different DL stints, two of them being our 3-4 guys for a majority of the season.

So that diffuses the Giants standing pat so its going to be a 2011 all over again. Well... Unless Posey breaks his ankle in 27 thousand pieces again or Pablo some how manages to break a hamate bone that doesn't exist. I'm not worried.

Los Angeles Angels have traded 1B/DH Kendry Morales to the Seattle Mariners for LHP Jason Vargas.

MLB Tonight on MLB Network had a piece on the Astros last night. The crew kind of broke down what the Astros basically need to be... well, better than what they've shown the past two seasons. 56 wins in 2011 and 55 wins in 2012 will NOT get it done for an MLB team. The Astros aren't going to beat most of their future AL West competition this upcoming season. If anything, we're probably contending against Seattle for last place in the division. But on the show, the crew on MLB Tonight were talking about the Astros maybe shopping for players like J. Jurrjens and Grady Sizemore among others. I forgot all of what they were talking about, but a few key points for HOU was to pick up some good outfield players as well as some good relief pitching. Some say the Astros' main problem is simply pitching. A lot still needs to happen for us to even contend for at least a Wild Card. You can't win next season's championship in the offseason or in Spring Training, but you can certainly help your team's cause in hopes of making that run to October.

Excited to see Tori Hunter sign with the Tigers. With him and Victor Martinez coming back from injury, Detroit will once again have a potent lineup. Now IF they make it back to the World Series maybe they'll be able to get some hits for a change...

I don't think V Mart will be as good as he was prior to his injury. I hope I'm wrong though because I'd really like to see an unstoppable hitting line up. Hopefully Fielder gets his bat working better in 2013 too.

Why do you continue to put words in my mouth? Nah, I'd rather have the Dodgers OF over ours but only because of Kemp. Crawford is better then Blanco but not by a huge margin, but we have Gary Brown and when he gets to the show he will probably be better then Crawford.

:lol::lol::lol:

Now defensively? I like our OF much better. But Kemp is what makes your OF but its not like we have a bad CF in Pagan he is just hits 1st and not 3rd. Pence and Ethier are a wash in terms of all around performance.

But I'd much rather have our INF and pitching staff (starting and relief).

Hanley Ramirez and Adrian Gonzalez > Giants INF.

See you mistaken me as someone who has blind love with a team... When in reality I continue to put statistics that prove most of your points wrong.

No you don't. As a matter of fact the Dodgers had the second best bullpen in the NL last year. Check both ERA and HR/9, only Cincy had a better all-around 'pen.

Yet I never get a retort with actual facts. Just little 'wait and see' things. All I heard during the season is how the Giants didn't have a chance and the Dodgers were going to run away with it. And I heard it even more in the 2nd half when you guys made a move I heard it even more. Dodger fans didn't even give us a chance despite the fact the Giants were so far ahead.

Just gave you a factoid, kiddo.

We did that all last season without Lincecum, without a healthy Sandoval for most of the season, without Pence. Then take into fact both Crawford and Belt rose there average up .50 points in the second half. They are both young and talented players, both were top 10 prospects for the Giants during some very prosperous years. Belt being a top 25 prospect with worlds of potential.

Its not just you, its the majority of the media. During the Playoffs they just thought the Giants were playing tough competition. Nope, well they were but not wasn't the reason. The Giants played like crap at home for the last month for whatever reason. We couldn't pitch or hit at home. But every time we hit the road we destroyed everyone. Of course ESPN wouldn't know that, they don't watch West Coast games. When it was the Tigers Vs. Giants they just saw ZOMG VERLANDURZ DEY CAN'T LOOZE. Despite the fact the Giants won 94 games in a tougher division compared to the 88 games the Tigers won. Hell the Giants won 86 games in 2011 with 25 different DL stints, two of them being our 3-4 guys for a majority of the season.

So that diffuses the Giants standing pat so its going to be a 2011 all over again. Well... Unless Posey breaks his ankle in 27 thousand pieces again or Pablo some how manages to break a hamate bone that doesn't exist. I'm not worried.

Yes, it was quite the unlikely run for the Giants. But yea, if you think Scutaro and Pagan will be able to repeat their second-half numbers from last year then you're insane. C'mon, Scutaro hit like .500 with RISP last fall. That's not happening again. Belt had a James Loney 2011 season last year - bad a first, heated up in the second half. It still remains to be seen if he can keep production up.

IMHO, there are only two SFG position players that you can really count on. 1) Posey will produce (I hate that he's on the Giants, easily one of my favorite players in MLB), and 2) Sandoval will mash against righties, and flail against lefties. Giants have a stellar starting rotation, there's no denying that, but you have to have big question marks when it comes to Zito and Lincecum. You don't know what to expect from them. I don't think I'd be surprised either way if both were awesome or both were terrible (or one and one). Cain - solid. Bumgarner - solid. Vogelsong - hot and cold (more often hot).

Now that's not to say that Belt won't be good, but he's definitely not a sure-thing (Of course no one is, but you know what I mean). The rest of the infield, puhleease. Decent defense, that's about it.

Some sobering news coming in. Apparently ex-major leaguer Ryan Freel committed suicide today. I really enjoyed watching him when he was with the Reds. He certainly played hard every game. R.I.P. Ryan

Cody Ross's deal with Arizona only makes the Red Sox's deal with Shane Victorino that much more laughable. I still can't get over that 3/39... :lol:

It really isn't that funny. Blanco is younger and probably faster, and finally has a good coaching staff and he made some nice swing adjustments at the end of the year. Crawford is a speed guy that can hit for AVG but doesn't know how to take a walk. He also isn't very good in the OF. That doesn't translate well in the long term, plus hes injury prone and a complete question mark after TJ. Blanco is younger and was having hell of a year but had some struggles mid season, made adjustments and was HUGE for us in the Reds series. He is probably the best defensive OF next to Para in the NL West (Chris Young isn't here anymore). Blanco works the count very well and was on pace to hit 9-10 HRs as a lefty at AT&T. Hes 28 and in his prime, and actually did worse this year then he has in the past. If he can do .283/.360/.367/.727 as a bottom of the order speed guy.. That's amazing.

Hanley Ramirez and Adrian Gonzalez > Giants INF.

Not really. Considering your INF also consists of Cruz and Ellis and well Ellis.

Pablo was on pace to hit 37+ HRs in 2011 but broke his hamate which the #1 power sapping injury in baseball especially for his style of hitting. He still hit 23 with losing 200+ PA's and another 100 PA's with zero wrist strength, that's 200+ PA's without the chance of a HR and 100 PA's + with ONE hr. 15 HR in half a seasons worth of PA is something Pablo has done, multiple times.

Now put that in front of Posey who just won the MVP with a monster year and an OPS+ of 172 which is the SAME as Matt Kemps adjusted stats in 2011. Neither Posey or Pablo have reached their prime yet as they both have only had ONE full healthy season. Think about that. Pablo will see so many pitches to hit next year because teams will not want to pitch to Posey.

While Ramirez is a great talent, hes a headcase. Add in a few more self centered head cases on the team and an inexperienced manager. He can be bad or great. His line with the Dodgers really wasn't all that great.
.271/.324/.450/.774... I mean its definitely better then what Crawford will do, but Ramirez is simply an atrocious defensive SS. Crawford is a defense first player, but he did hit over .280 in the last two months and he has the perfect approach for AT&T. He hits lots of 2Bs and is one of the best defensive SS in the game. He was rushed to the bigs last year due to injuries and has steadily gotten better. Not he isn't going to be better then Hanley, and will never have the power Hanley does but he doesn't need to be hitting in the 8th hole.

There is no part of my imagination that I think Belt is a better player then Agon. But please remember that Belt was a top tier prospect that every scout in baseball where ga-ga over and still are. He was miss handled badly last year with the whole Huff situation, and the same thing happened at the start of this year. But he is now looked as the answer. In 2011 he hit 9 HRs in 1/3 of a season. That is 25-28 HRs in a season with a guy capable of having a .400+ OBP and 15 steals with GG caliber defense while hitting .300?? That is valuable. Power wise he won't be hitting 30+ bombs, that's Pablos job.

Belts line was .275/.360/.421/.781 he also has 12 steals while only getting caught twice. And hes only 24.

Agon hit .299/.340/.463/.806... The thing that alarms me with him is the walks. Now it may go up, who knows but honestly an OBP going down that steep is a bit alarming for someone his age. He will turn 31 early in the season, but we'll just have to see how it goes. He could turn it around but he along with Ramirez will be "We'll see how it goes".. Not very convincing.

Yes Scutaro hit .362 with the Giants... No he won't do it again. But put it in perspective. When the Giants acquired him from the Rockies, and our Broadcasters spoke the Rockies broadcaster and they said that his hits weren't falling. In a 162 game season you have hot and cold months, his hot months were with the Giants. Look at the whole season in perspective with the last few years.

2009: .282/.379/.409/.789
2010: .275/.333/.338/.721
2011: .299/.358/.423/.781
2012: .306/.348/.405/.753

He plays above average defense at Second and Third and Average at Short. With those numbers at the #2 slot in our order to set up the thump is very nice. His game is very simple, doesn't strike out, puts the ball in play, knows the strike zone very well and works walks and loves going to right center. We have a huge outfield and he LOVES putting those sexy gaps to use. He is heads and toes better then Ellis. Unless Ellis finds a fountain of youth and returns to 2007 Oakland A's form.

I shouldn't have to compare Pablo to Cruz and Posey to Ellis... But if you want I can.

No you don't. As a matter of fact the Dodgers had the second best bullpen in the NL last year. Check both ERA and HR/9, only Cincy had a better all-around 'pen.
Are all these numbers that I keep posting over and over not facts? As for bullpens I can't use numbers because our bullpen sucked for the first two months. Losing Wilson didn't help either. But our end of the year bullpen was so much better then the beginning. We added Kontos, Mijares who both had sub 3 ERA's, (along with Casilla, Affeldt, and Lopez and Romo with his sub 2 ERA and his 5.77 K/BB ratio and 10.7 K/9 LIFETIME). Now add that we have Brian Wilson 2.0 in AAA waiting for a call up... I think our pen is deeper. Thanks to the fact we don't have to deal with Hensley, Penny, Mota or any number of other crap we tried early on.

Just gave you a factoid, kiddo.

And I countered it with more facts.

Yes, it was quite the unlikely run for the Giants. But yea, if you think Scutaro and Pagan will be able to repeat their second-half numbers from last year then you're insane. C'mon, Scutaro hit like .500 with RISP last fall.

Angel Pagan
2009: .306/.350/.487/.837 (half year)
2010: .290/.340/.425/.765
2011: .262/.322/.372/.694
2012: .288/.338/.440/.778

I'm pretty sure repeating is completely possible. Hell he might even do better, he was down right terrible in June and July.

That's not happening again. Belt had a James Loney 2011 season last year - bad a first, heated up in the second half. It still remains to be seen if he can keep production up.

Well Belt's trend has been pretty much up word, constantly. James Loney's best year was 2009 with .281/.357/.399/.756 with a 104 OPS+.

Belts 2012 is 275/.360/.421/.781 with a 124 OPS+ Yes, similar. But outside of that one season his OBP has been around .335... The best thing about Belt is his patience. Bonds many times has talked about how he didn't understand the strike zone until after a few years. Bonds first two years look mighty similar to Belts as well. And no, I'm not saying hes going to be Bonds. I'm simply saying its highly touted prospects struggle. At this point Belt can certainly turn out to be James Loney... But he could also turn out to be a Will Clark. Who was kind of like... You know... a damn good first basemen. Though neither Clark or Loney has the speed that Belt does.

IMHO, there are only two SFG position players that you can really count on. 1) Posey will produce (I hate that he's on the Giants, easily one of my favorite players in MLB),
Its pretty easy to like the guy. Hes a good ol' southern boy that keeps his mouth shut, plays the game and works really hard.

and 2) Sandoval will mash against righties, and flail against lefties.
Pablo is actually evenly split. But no doubt he has more power as a lefty, as he is naturally lefty.

Lifetime:
VS LH: .313/.361/.461/.822
VS RH: .299/.350/.502/.852

Giants have a stellar starting rotation, there's no denying that, but you have to have big question marks when it comes to Zito and Lincecum. You don't know what to expect from them.

I agree, on Lincecum but not with Zito actually. Zito has actually been pretty consistent the last few years accept for 2011.

2009: 4.03 ERA, 192 IP, 1.35 WHIP
2010: 4.15, 199 IP, 1.34 WHIP
2012: 4.15, 184 IP, 1.38 WHIP

He was terrible in 2011 and 2008 and bleh in 2007. His control has been better though but his K rate has been dropping. I'm decently concerned next year as we don't have much in line for replacing him if he blows. But he has some incentive to do well because it will be the last year of his contract and he will want to continue pitching in 2014.

Same with Lincecum. Tim definitely was erratic last year with a career worse 4.4 BB/9, but Yu Darvish had a 4.2 BB/9 and no ones complaining! Timmy wasn't quite at his old 10.4/10.5 K/9 but he still had 9.2 K/9 a slight increase from last year (9.1) So stuff isn't the problem. No he isn't throwing 98 any more but he maxes out at 93 (94 on a good day) and with his movement and deception that shouldn't be a problem. His biggest issue was with runners on base and tipping pitches. Especially early on he was tipping his change ups and that dramatically spiked his HR/9 (1.1) (career AVG 0.7) and his H/9 (8.9) (career AVG 7.6). If he can fix his mechanics like he did in the playoffs then he should be fine. Also keep in mine he is on his contract year and this will be a big one, so if he wants to continue making 20M a year then he will get his **** together.

I don't think I'd be surprised either way if both were awesome or both were terrible (or one and one). Cain - solid. Bumgarner - solid. Vogelsong - hot and cold (more often hot).
Vogelsong was leading the league in ERA at the ASG and then he gave up 8 runs in 1.1 innings of work or something like that and fell apart and couldn't have a good game for the life of him. He figured out the problem in the playoffs. Maddie was the same way pretty much. He had like a 2.5 ERA at the break and then slowed down after the break. I think he might of just got tired as he is still very young (23). One thing he did really well though was cut down on hits. Maddie is a more polished version of Matt Cain (same age obviously).

Cain for me is the interesting one. He also slowed down in the end and didn't look very good in the Playoffs (a far cry from 0 ERA in 2010) but up until the last few months he was having a Cliff Lee style season. With a 1.5 or w/e BB/9. His command has gotten so good, and he can he also one of those guys that throws harder as the game goes on.

Now that's not to say that Belt won't be good, but he's definitely not a sure-thing (Of course no one is, but you know what I mean). The rest of the infield, puhleease. Decent defense, that's about it.

I think my formatting got screwed up but who cares... Defensively our INF is probably one of the best in baseball. I think overall our team is probably top 5 defensively. And that was the difference between the Giants and the Tigers. Offensively (as much as people don't like to admit it) we scored 12 less runs all year then they did WITHOUT a DH. Our SP was deeper, defensively we were better at every position except CF. And our Bullpen was light years better. Our bench was also better.

Whoa. That's a massive block of text and no part of me wants to go through it all. I see a bunch of boring slash lines that do a pretty good job of showing a bunch of sub-.800 OPS players on the Giants. I see you alluding to Pablo Sandoval no longer being able to hit for power due to an injury (is that supposed to make it okay that he doesn't hit for power as much any more? Not sure what you were getting at there).

Anyways, I don't want to go through a multi-quote, point-by-point debate with you, Prosthetic. However, since we were talking Marco Scutaro, let's go ahead and highlight those numbers of yours:

In a 162 game season you have hot and cold months, his hot months were with the Giants. Look at the whole season in perspective with the last few years.

2009: .282/.379/.409/.789
2010: .275/.333/.338/.721
2011: .299/.358/.423/.781
2012: .306/.348/.405/.753

So he had an outrageous August and September with the Giants (we agree on that, thank God), and we both agree that there's no way he's going to continue with that production. He's 37 years old. He struggled hitting in one of the best hitters' parks in MLB (Coor's Field) and now he's in one of the worst hitters' parks in MLB (AT&T).

I'm not sure what it was about those stats you posted that are supposed to lead me to believe he'll be worth the contract the Giants gave me. He's about as even for the year overall as was he was in Boston (another hitters' park), but that's only thankful to the outrageous-almost-.400 batting average as a Giant.

So who do we get next year? Hitters' park Scutaro or Pitchers' Park Scutaro?

Also, I love how you're comparing him to Mark Ellis. Mark Ellis is only getting about 4 million this year on a 2-year contract. Ellis had a 1.3 dWAR and Scutaro's was -0.3. I don't think Ellis is better than Scutaro, but c'mon... Neither of them are special. They are old, scrappy, veteran infielders.

For your next trick, I want you to convince me why Brandon Belt is better than Adrian Gonzalez.

Whoa. That's a massive block of text and no part of me wants to go through it all. I see a bunch of boring slash lines that do a pretty good job of showing a bunch of sub-.800 OPS players on the Giants.

A bunch of slash lines that contradict things you passed as facts in your previous post. OPS is a power stat... We have 25+ HR power at 4 positions, 2 possibly 3 of those positions could potentially hit 30 and one of them will if he doesn't get another freak injury. But considering that at every position we have someone that could potentially hit 300+ except SS and probably LF. Two of those players (and according to scouts maybe 3) will probably be in the league leaders for AVG. Then add the amount of speed we have... The Giants did one thing very well and that's produce runs. We also have the best back up catcher in baseball along with a very good bench, and that matters because your dream starting lineup wont happen nearly as much as you think it will. The Giants only had theirs ONCE all year last year and never even sniffed it in 2011.

I see you alluding to Pablo Sandoval no longer being able to hit for power due to an injury (is that supposed to make it okay that he doesn't hit for power as much any more? Not sure what you were getting at there).
Pablo hasn't lost any power. The recovery from Hamate saps it until your hand is fully healed, that only takes about month. That's why I said along with the two months he missed from surgery and time until he could swing a bat, its another month before his power even starts to come back. Hence why I mentioned he had 1 HR in his first month back.

Anyways, I don't want to go through a multi-quote, point-by-point debate with you, Prosthetic. However, since we were talking Marco Scutaro, let's go ahead and highlight those numbers of yours:

So he had an outrageous August and September with the Giants (we agree on that, thank God), and we both agree that there's no way he's going to continue with that production. He's 37 years old. He struggled hitting in one of the best hitters' parks in MLB (Coor's Field) and now he's in one of the worst hitters' parks in MLB (AT&T).

Coors is good for power but not always good for singles and line drive hitters. The air is then so low line drives hang up and a lot of those are caught but the massive field makes up for it so maybe he was just unlucky. Or maybe just being on a really bad team effected his play, wouldn't be the first time.
But he did hit .337 in June all the other months he hit in the 250 except for august where he .314. But in 2011 he hit .387 with 12 doubles in September/October. In May of 2009 he hit .322 and July he hit .355. He had over 100 AB's in every one of those months.

People who go on about hot months and say "They can't repeat that next year so the team will suffer" are retarded and never look at splits. In 2012 Posey hit .353 the first month, then hit .253, .299, .381, .371, .364 until the playoffs where he cooled off. Players get hot and cold, good players make adjustments and then they get off of those adjustments and depending on how good they are is usually how long they get hot for. Hot months offset good months just like bad years will off set good years.

I'm not sure what it was about those stats you posted that are supposed to lead me to believe he'll be worth the contract the Giants gave me. He's about as even for the year overall as was he was in Boston (another hitters' park), but that's only thankful to the outrageous-almost-.400 batting average as a Giant.
Since when was .362 almost .400? And when did I say anything about being worth it? Scutaro made 6 Mill last year and 5.5 Mill in both of the previous years. This is a slight raise over the course of 3 years. Hes already 'worth' it as he helped win a World Series. Hes a hard working player that is in better shape then a lot of 29 year olds. He had an outrageous Sept in Boston as well, whats your point? What he makes isn't going to cripple us, especially with the mass of contracts coming off the books along with the $20 Mill we spend paying off the stadium every year. 7-8 million a year for an above average 2B when Joe Panik is 2 or so years away? Not bad.

So who do we get next year? Hitters' park Scutaro or Pitchers' Park Scutaro?
Pitcher parks only suppress power, and improve AVG large in part because of a huge outfield with big gaps. AT&T is the perfect stadium for Scutaro with the massive alley in right center, is where he loves to hit it. This is why Posey hit .336, he hit that **** all day long with the inside out approach. Which is a big reason why he only had 24 HRs, you can't hit HRs to RF at AT&T consistently.

Also, I love how you're comparing him to Mark Ellis. Mark Ellis is only getting about 4 million this year on a 2-year contract. Ellis had a 1.3 dWAR and Scutaro's was -0.3. I don't think Ellis is better than Scutaro, but c'mon... Neither of them are special. They are old, scrappy, veteran infielders.

Just a heads up, just about every second basemen in baseball is scrappy. Remember Jeff Kent has the most all time for second basemen with 377. Ellis has more range then Scutaro which helps a lot. But Scutaro has gotten better with age and Ellis has gotten worse. I was just comparing INFs by position.

For your next trick, I want you to convince me why Brandon Belt is better than Adrian Gonzalez.
First of all I never said he was. Second of all I explained the differences between the two in my last post.

But I will add something, its not unheard of for a good player to fall off at the age of 30-31. If a time traveler told me that Belt had a better year, I wouldn't be shocked. Because its also not unheard of for high ceiling prospects to break out in their third year. Not counting on it, but we aren't counting on Belt. He will be hitting SIXTH behind a guy who hits 25HRs a year.

And the 2013 Baseball Hall of Fame Class is: ...... nobody. The committee has voted and nobody reached the 75% vote to be eligible for the Hall of Fame. Craig Biggio, Jack Morris, Jeff Bagwell and Mike Piazza are only men who receive above 55% of the vote. Schilling, Clemens, Bonds, McGwire, Sosa and Palmiero all gained under 40%.

Nobody got in this year. I think it was the first time nobody got admitted to the year's HOF since 1996. Craig Biggio and Jeff Bagwell will both eventually get in (speaking as an Astros fan). Just have to look forward to the 2014 HOF, then...

Right, so we all know drugs are bad mmmkay, and it is accepted that a good sized bunch of players were on them in the 90's.
The thing that gets me is that for the most part, players are judged against their peers from the same era (the sluggers from the dead ball era don't stand up too well today -HR crown with 6). So since Bonds et al were competing on a level (albeit enhanced) playing field and dominated, why the fuss? What they were doing was within the rules at the time, right? And no matter how strong you are, there is still a heck of a lot of skill involved in putting up home run derby performances everyday.

Just my 0.02, and you guys dont want to go there, fine, but since the HOF class is so big...

Baseball writers are dumb anyways... They are pretty much always wrong with everything they say. I love how in the same sentence many say they won't vote for Sosa, Bonds and crew because of steroids but will vote for Piazza who was just as roided up as any. How else do you think they stayed out there behind the dish every ****ing day and hit 500 foot opposite field HRs... Steroids. If Posey did steroids he would of been back behind the plate in 3 months and the Giants might not of missed the playoffs.

Despite all that they love him... Same thing with Pettite.. Who isn't even close to a HoF and he roided up as much as Clemens did. But they media loves him and ignores his past and he will probably get it. While one of the best and most versatile players of all time (Biggio) stays off... While the smartest player of all time stays off (Bonds). While a top 10-15 first basemen and one of the only ones to have very good speed while hitting 40 HRs and getting over 100 walks. and hitting 300. While the best hitting catcher of all time doesn't get in... While one of the scariest pitchers of all time sits and doesn't make it.

This is by far the best year for HoF voting and its only going to get more and more deep. You can easily add 10 people a year for the next 5 years and there will still be people left off. Baseball is getting more and more advance, players are getting better every year. There are 10 players on this ballot that are so far superior to players recently voted in, its makes this whole thing one gigantic joke.

No, steroids weren't just a 90's thing. They were an 80's thing, they were a 70's thing... What about greenies? Players popped those in the 60's and 70's like a hippies used lsd. All without repercussion. If you think Bonds shouldn't get int because he hurt the national medias feelings then we should take out Ty Cobb, Hank Aaron, Rickey Henderson, Babe Ruth and Willie Mays because he taught Barry as a kid to never trust them, and hes right.

And what about Babe Ruth and his 30 something corked bats and his .342 lifetime AVG? Corked bats were actually against the rules... Unlike steroids, hgh and everything related. So technically Ruth is a cheater and the 90's poster childs aren't.

People sure love ignoring and skewing facts. Writers are literally Hitler.

Once again, not much shakin' in Tribe Town. The Indians signed Brett Meyers and Nick Swisher this off season. Other than that ....

.500 or less season again here in Tribe Town. :indiff:

mbyee.gif

The sad news of the day has been the passing of Earl Weaver at age 82. How will you remember this great owner?

The sad news of the day has been the passing of Earl Weaver at age 82. How will you remember this great owner?

One word: Arguing.

The baseball world has lost two greats this weekend. RIP Earl Weaver and Stan Musial

Arizona Diamondbacks have traded OF Justin Upton and 3B Chris Johnson to Atlanta Braves for LF/3B Martin Prado, P Randall Delgado, SS Nick Ahmed and P Zeke Spruill.

Just so I don't forget, my thoughts and prayers go out in loving memory of both Earl Weaver and Stan Musial. I wanted to make that point from my previous post.

I really don't know what to think of the Astros heading into the upcoming season. This team is basically in rebuilding mode. This team will eventually start clicking again once the talent develops and once they can string together wins on a consistent basis. I think the new looks for them will help a bit. I am not really into baseball to be honest. However, I do follow my Astros. I still fear that team up north- the Texas Rangers. The Rangers/Astros series should be as intense as ever.

Basically just counting the days until Spring Training. First crack the Astros will get will be in late February taking on the Philadelphia Phillies.

Back