• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2,618 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Major League Baseball's 2012 season is upcoming. The thread here is on this year's season. A long and drawn-out season will await the 30 teams of Major League Baseball. I figured it was time to start a new thread on a new season, regardless if some very big football game is this weekend (as of this post).

The proper thread for 2012 Major League Baseball is here!

Not a whole heck of a lot going down in Tribe Town this year. One of the Tribe's bigger off season moves was acquiring 1st baseman Casey Kotchman. He was signed to a 1 year - $3 mill. deal. Other than that, not a whole lot shakin' in Cleveland.

Link

Diamondbacks managed to let one of their star players (Montero) get all the way to the arbitration hearing and made a deal a few minutes before they were to start their hearing. Then they promptly re-signed Ryan Roberts. 👍

Stoked for this season!

I'm pumped

Giants acquisitions:
Buster Posey
Freddy Sanchez
In Shape Aubrey Huff
Healthy Pablo Sandoval
Angel Pagan
Melky Cabrera
Healthy Brett Pill
Ryan Theriot
Healthy Brian Wilson
Healthy Sergio Romo
Healthy Nate Schierholtz

Addition by subtraction:
Aaron Rowand
Chris Stuart
And hope to god Eli Whiteside...

I'm pumped to see what Crawford, Belt, Hembree, Surkamp and possibly Kieschneck can do. We have a really young farm system all the talent is in low A or high A or hasn't started yet. We did very good in the draft last year. Can't wait to see Brown and Panik bat #1 and #2... Holy **** that's going to be good.

My Astros were last place last season, managing only 56 wins in a 162-game season. This year will be our last in the National League. So if the AL plays money and the NL plays baseball, we're going to the money side after the 2012 Season and go from the NL Central to the AL West. So I'll miss seeing certain games at lovely ballparks like AT&T Park, Great American Ballpark, PNC Park, and places like that. There's even still talk of the Astros changing their uniforms for when they debut in the American League. Thankfully, they will STILL be the Astros because one radical change was to change the name of the Houston Astros to some other name.

I'm expecting the Astros to consistently fail yet again. HOPEFULLY not bottom-of-the-barrel for two successive seasons. My long shot for the Astros- win the NL Wild Card or place higher than 4th in the NL Central.

Any of you guys want to give me a realistic expectation for the Blue Jays? I'm getting tired of them sucking year after year, what's funny is this myth that circles around that the Jays "can't spend with the Yankees and Red Sox", it's utter garbage. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, a massive Canadian telecommunications company, something like 8 million cell phone subscribers and then millions more of landlines, internet, and digital cable. Rogers is loaded (1.5 billion net income last year), and if they wanted to spend with the Yankees, they definitely could. I'm not blaming Jays management so much as Rogers, and I don't see why Rogers gets a free pass.

My Astros were last place last season, managing only 56 wins in a 162-game season. This year will be our last in the National League. So if the AL plays money and the NL plays baseball, we're going to the money side after the 2012 Season and go from the NL Central to the AL West. So I'll miss seeing certain games at lovely ballparks like AT&T Park, Great American Ballpark, PNC Park, and places like that. There's even still talk of the Astros changing their uniforms for when they debut in the American League. Thankfully, they will STILL be the Astros because one radical change was to change the name of the Houston Astros to some other name.

I'm expecting the Astros to consistently fail yet again. HOPEFULLY not bottom-of-the-barrel for two successive seasons. My long shot for the Astros- win the NL Wild Card or place higher than 4th in the NL Central.

Isn't Inter-league play going to start full time next season? You might get a chance to see PNC yet again.

Any of you guys want to give me a realistic expectation for the Blue Jays? I'm getting tired of them sucking year after year, what's funny is this myth that circles around that the Jays "can't spend with the Yankees and Red Sox", it's utter garbage. The Blue Jays are owned by Rogers, a massive Canadian telecommunications company, something like 8 million cell phone subscribers and then millions more of landlines, internet, and digital cable. Rogers is loaded (1.5 billion net income last year), and if they wanted to spend with the Yankees, they definitely could. I'm not blaming Jays management so much as Rogers, and I don't see why Rogers gets a free pass.

Every owner is baseball is loaded out the ass. At least you guys aren't pulling an Oakland A's.

Hey Villain, need another scrappy middle infielder? Cubs DFA'd Black Dewitt!

Prosthetic
Every owner is baseball is loaded out the ass. At least you guys aren't pulling an Oakland A's.

Hey Villain, need another scrappy middle infielder? Cubs DFA'd Black Dewitt!

It just frustrates me that people give them leeway, if Rogers were serious about winning, they'd be spending with the Yankees.

Noob616

Yes, this is because Rogers telecommunications could care less about baseball but like money. They are fine with having an okay team year after year because they can just suck the money out of it. This makes me :grumpy:

It just frustrates me that people give them leeway, if Rogers were serious about winning, they'd be spending with the Yankees.

Our ownership just kicked out the owner who wanted to spend more and win... :( One more year of Rowands contract and two more for Zitos... :dunce:

I hope my team can do something this year...

Okay I'm done hoping. When does the 2013 season begin?

Who's your team, blitz? The Mets?

Yep so I'm hoping something good could happen. Oh wait, they couldn't even sign Cody Ross who is merely going to be a backup in Boston because they can't afford him. I will have lots of fun watching this circus in 2012.

Is anyone here going to get MLB12 when it comes out?

Already have it on pre-order. Only way I'll see the Mets finishing above .500.

Blitz24
Already have it on pre-order. Only way I'll see the Mets finishing above .500.

So the glass is half full in New York then! :sly:

I think my team will have a good year if their young starting rotation can come through.

So the glass is half full in New York then! :sly:

I think my team will have a good year if their young starting rotation can come through.

Its a decent staff. Better than New York's certainly but its very shaky on the back end due to no experience. Still, I like Chatwood and Moscoso.

The Rockies are looking decent this year. They have brought in a few veterans as well as a bunch of prospects and young pitchers (from the Ubaldo trade). We'll have to see how it pans out. Starting pitching consistency and how we do with RISP will dictate our chances this year.
So, how bout them D-backs? Are they looking good? I know last year the looked horrible but still somehow won the division. :yuck:

D-backs did it ugly, but got it done. This year they have sooooo much experience under their caps now and just like every team in the West they're pitching is top notch-they were actually picked to have the best rotation in the West with transactions and a couple rookies coming up, but the games still need to be played! I think they're coaching staff is what sets them apart though.

Kirk Gibson is actually a very good manager. Very bold too.

I've come to the conclusion that only NL West fans are hardcore enough to set their avatar as their team logo. So far we have members with D-backs, Rockies, and Giants logos. Now all we need is San Diego and LA and we have us a box set!

Last edited:
D-backs did it ugly, but got it done. This year they have sooooo much experience under their caps now and just like every team in the West they're pitching is top notch-they were actually picked to have the best rotation in the West with transactions and a couple rookies coming up, but the games still need to be played! I think they're coaching staff is what sets them apart though.

Cahill is a good pitcher but he isn't a #1 or even a very good #2. He played in a ****** division in a huge stadium. Not just the size of the outfield, but the foul territory is retardedly big. Hes like Johnathan Sanchez but not as good stuff. Hes never had a K/BB ratio over 2.00 WHIP was over 1.4 this year and his first year. Hes a good back of the end rotation kind of guy, and after watching plenty of his starts I don't see the front of the rotation kind of guy they make him out to be. Hes still young though, but I don't ever see him ever being better then a good #3.

Arizona has a good rotation, but I still wouldn't put it against the Giants who have three pitchers who would be the ace for the D-Backs. I'll keep Vogelsong out of it until the first few months to reserve judgement on him. But Kennedy and Hudson are both by far better pitchers then Cahill. Chase field isn't the best place for a comeback for pitchers. He needs to learn to keep the ball down and control it. For Arizona to succeed I Chris Young needs to step up, the dude has to much talent to be a sub 800 OPS player. Arizona still has to much swing and miss, they need more contact players. No, you can't borrow ours we need them. :lol:

Colorado confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I never seem to take them seriously because the Giants always play really well at Coors. They are super streaky. The contracts for Gonzalez and Tulo might come back to bite them. Tulo is the best SS in baseball by far, but the dude can't stay healthy. Cuddyer is a nice addition who will benefit being in a better lineup and a great park to hit in but hes also going up against much better pitching. He reminds me a lot of Cody Ross, who never got the playing time early in his career to cement himself as an everyday player. Fowler I think is key for the Rockies to succeed. Oh ****, I forgot the Rockies got Casey Blake.. **** they got the division in wraps... :P

Both the Padres and the Dodgers have a chance to be good clubs but its going to take some comebacks and breakouts. Billingsly needs to perform for the Dodgers... Period. I don't think they do it without him. The Padres have a good pitching staff still, but the offense has been bad for awhile. But they have some interesting pieces between Quentin (who is a terrible fielder), Alonso, and Guzman. Hundly and Headly need to continue to improve and Blanks needs to finally learn how to make contact because he can hit the ball a long way. Maybin is a potentially good player, but he needs to get on base more. Learn how to cut down on the K's and try not to swing for the fences. If he can get a .350 OBP he steals 60 bags easily. He puts the ball in the air way to often though.

I'm pumped to see my team though. Schierholtz was such a different player last year and hit some monster freakin' homeruns. 2012 is the year he finally pans out.. Its all about Sandoval though. He was on pace to hit 31-32 HRs with two huge power sapping injuries one which took him out for 2 months and he still hit 23 bombs. Belt was also on pace to hit 30, and that was with inconsistent playing time. I was so impressed with his plate discipline though, but he is to patient. He needs to get more aggressive in the kind of way Posey is. Doesn't swing at bad stuff, but goes after close ones with 2 strikes. Reminded me of Fred Lewis who always watched strike 3. Which is why Beltran pissed me off so much, 8th inning down one run, runners on 2nd and third two strikes... Watches one down the middle and doesn't even look like he cares. I was for the trade at the time, god damn was he a POS.

Sandoval, Huff, Posey, Cabrera, Schierholtz, Belt, Pill.. all potential 20+ HR bats.. Sandoval is going to pass 30 this year no doubt.. The rest are big questions but I think at least 2-3 others will do it. Huff is cutting out the beer this year.. And its a even number year..I really do think Huff can hit 30 this year, he hit 26 in 2010 and couldn't hit a HR worth **** in the first 2 months at AT&T. I'm a bit optimistic, but our minor league options are much better this year if we do run into similar injuries as last year. Dammit I'm pumped.

NL West 2012 is going to be fun.

EDIT: I'm bored so I'm going to put together what I think each teams starting lineup in the NL West should look like.

ARIZONA:
Ryan Roberts (3B)
Stephan Drew (SS)(is he going to be ready for 2012?)
Justin Upton (RF)
Miguel Montaro (C)
Chris Young (CF)
Paul Goldschmidt (1B)
Jason Kubel/Gerardo Para (LF) (Depending on Left/Righty match-up)
Aaron Hill (2B)
Pitcher

COLORADO:
Dexter Fowler (CF)
Marco Scutaro (2B)
Carlos Gonzalez (RF)
Troy Tulowitzki (SS)
Todd Helton (1B)
Michael Cuddyer (LF)
Ramon Hernandez (C)
Casey Blake (3B)
Pitcher

LA:
Dee Gordon (SS) (Holy hell does he need to learn to take a walk)
Mark Ellis (2B) (if he can do what he did in 2010 that would be huge for you)
Matt Kemp (CF)
Andre Ethier (RF)
James Loney (1B)
Juan Uribe (3B) (He will be better this year)
AJ Ellis (C)
Jerry Sands (LF)
Pitcher

SD:
Cameron Maybin (CF)
Orlando Hudson (2B)
Chase Headley (3B)
Yonder Alonso (1B)
Carlos Quentin (RF)
Jesus Guzman (LF) (Still pissed the Giants DFA'd him.. same with Matt Downs of the Astros)
Nick Hundly (C)
Jason Bartlett (SS)
Pitcher

SF:
Angel Pagan (CF)
Freddy Sanchez (2B)
Aubrey Huff (1B)
Pablo Sandoval (3B)
Buster Posey (C)
Melky Cabrera (LF)
Nate Schierholtz (RF)
Brandon Crawford (SS)

Huff will play some RF, Belt will play a bunch of 1B and Pill will player some 1B)

We are so deep at 1B is retarded.

Last edited:
Prosthetic
Colorado confuses the hell out of me sometimes. I never seem to take them seriously because the Giants always play really well at Coors. They are super streaky. The contracts for Gonzalez and Tulo might come back to bite them. Tulo is the best SS in baseball by far, but the dude can't stay healthy. Cuddyer is a nice addition who will benefit being in a better lineup and a great park to hit in but hes also going up against much better pitching. He reminds me a lot of Cody Ross, who never got the playing time early in his career to cement himself as an everyday player. Fowler I think is key for the Rockies to succeed. Oh ****, I forgot the Rockies got Casey Blake.. **** they got the division in wraps... :P

Tulo was healthy pretty much all last year.

I don't see how Tulo and Cargo's contracts could come back to bite them. They are both still rising stars that can easily be traded if something comes up. The Rockies need a foundation to build from more than anything else. Tulo and Cargo's contracts provide that.

First let me say, do not take anything here personally. I know nothing said so far has been overly negative. Besides we're just fans and have only our opinions. The games still need to be played to show who is right or wrong.

So here we go.....

I agree Schwartz38 Tulo and Cargo is where the Rockies build from-pitching is their big '?' how will it be?

Now on to the D-backs... Prosthetic you mentioned Cahill, he's a ground ball pitcher in a flyball park, no brainer it's a good fit. I think he'll be good and atleast better then Joe Saunders as a #3. I know it's not as strong as The Giants starting 3, but Kennedy and Hudson can go toe to toe with Lincicum\Cain and any of those 4 pitchers can win against the other on any given day. I'm not sure about Lincicum too- has he peaked? He's had slow starts to the last 2 seasons it feels like and only seems to get good at/near the end. DON'T get me wrong, I love him, just not sure what he'll do this year.

D-backs have by far the best\most talent coming up from the minors as far as pitchers. 3 will probably be in the majors this year- Bauer, Skaggs, Miley. Bauer so much like Lincicum(deception, approach, talent), it won't be too far into the season that 2 of these guys will be up and at least one of them starting I feel. Once that happens the Giants no longer have much on the D-backs for starting pitching, and lets face it the Giants do not score runs AT ALL :sly:.

D-Backs do swing and miss still, but Baylor will have that cut back even more this year. Still one of the top homerun teams and will probably lead the NL West in runs scored. Infield is still really good overall, (Drew is to be back within first 1/3rd of season) only '?' is on Goldschmidt at 1b, but he was great there last year. Outfield is by far best in NL if not all of MLB. Bullpen should still be strong with Ziegler, Saito, Hernandez, and Putz. Not the best maybe but again can go toe to toe with any other.

I do agree that Chris Young needs to get better with his hitting. He had a horrible '09, really bounced back in '10, then last year fell back a little again. Again, Baylor i feel will have him much improved because CY has always strived to get better with hitting. Might not be a .300 guy but I think he'll be back to .270+ and maybe he'll finally get that GOLD GLOVE he soooooo much deserves.

Anyway, good luck to all in 2012! except for the Dirty Dogers!!!! And give my old Padres a prayer or two please-my team as a kid growing up in San Diego.

Also, the NL West has got to have the BEST coaching staffs in all of MLB as a whole. Sure there are Yankees, Phillies, etc.... that BUY their managers a great team each season, but Gibson, Bochy, Hurdle, Black, (Donny Baseball still needs to prove himself I think-this year will be his measure) all are instinctive, crafty, talented, tough and just know how to coach-not just sit back and call down the bench for a $100 million guy to go out and hit a homer or strike everyone out.

Last edited:
Every team "buys" their manager. Money isn't always the reason that a manager chooses team X over team Y.

Skybrok
I agree Schwartz38 Tulo and Cargo is where the Rockies build from-pitching is their big '?' how will it be?

It still is a very big '?' With alot of diversity on the hill such as rookies (like Pomeranz), a rising star in Chacin, a pitcher returning from Tommy John in De La Rosa, a veteran well past his prime in Moyer, and an average Guthrie. Couple this with the unpredictability of Coors Field, it is absolutely impossible to know.

Blitz24
Every team "buys" their manager. Money isn't always the reason that a manager chooses team X over team Y.

He is saying teams buy all there players so they don't need a great coaching strategy, not that teams buy their manager. NL managers FTW!

Tulo was healthy pretty much all last year.

I don't see how Tulo and Cargo's contracts could come back to bite them. They are both still rising stars that can easily be traded if something comes up. The Rockies need a foundation to build from more than anything else. Tulo and Cargo's contracts provide that.

For some reason I thought he only played like 100 games. I was think of Cargo.

Now on to the D-backs... Prosthetic you mentioned Cahill, he's a ground ball pitcher in a flyball park, no brainer it's a good fit. I think he'll be good and atleast better then Joe Saunders as a #3. I know it's not as strong as The Giants starting 3, but Kennedy and Hudson can go toe to toe with Lincicum\Cain and any of those 4 pitchers can win against the other on any given day. I'm not sure about Lincicum too- has he peaked? He's had slow starts to the last 2 seasons it feels like and only seems to get good at/near the end. DON'T get me wrong, I love him, just not sure what he'll do this year.

It doesn't matter if hes a ground ball pitcher or not, he still leaves a ton of pitches up in the zone. He gave up 19 both this year and last year and 27 the year before in a huge ball park. His control isn't very good, which isn't a good sign for someone who can't get a strikeout. Lincecum hasn't peaked, hes freaking 27 years old. He had one bad month in 2010 and if you watched game 5 of the 2010 world series he shutout the "zomg most potent offense" which BTW hit the same amount of HRs as the Giants did in 2010. Lincecum had one bad month in 2010 due to lack of conditioning but he still led the NL in K's and had a 3 K/BB. If Lincecum at worst has a 1.2 whip on a bad year that's very good. In 2011 his diet caught up to him and he started gaining weight in the legs which threw off his delivery. Its all in the balance. He lost 30? LBs this off season. Lincecum also got some his velocity that he lost in 2010, hes back hitting 94-95 with the four-seem. Not the 97-98 he had in 08'. Also remember Timmy had the best first two year of any pitcher in the history of baseball. To expect historic years year in and year out is a huge expectation. On the other side Cain is still getting better every year and Bumgarner is only 22 yet already can do 200+ IP and have a 4.0+ K/BB. Ace.

D-backs have by far the best\most talent coming up from the minors as far as pitchers. 3 will probably be in the majors this year- Bauer, Skaggs, Miley. Bauer so much like Lincicum(deception, approach, talent), it won't be too far into the season that 2 of these guys will be up and at least one of them starting I feel. Once that happens the Giants no longer have much on the D-backs for starting pitching, and lets face it the Giants do not score runs AT ALL :sly:.

They have all that talent because they were bad. The Giants have have been going at a rate of at least one stud a year since 05'. All of our top prospects have panned out, except for one who got arrested and is now back. Woo another 1B power bat. We have 4 catchers in our top 10 under 23 all with tons of power. One of them is nearly ML ready. We have a CF who is regarded as one of the fastest players in baseball who makes tons of contact and has good power down the line which works well at AT&T for RH bats. We have a SS/2B who is a walk machine that steal basses and can hit for a high average with some power. And we will have Posey, Sandoval and Belt all healthy and ready this year. All capable hitting for a high average, and they all have huge power to all fields. The Giants will have an above average offense this year, mark. it. down. That isn't even county Huff, Cabrera and Schierholtz who is finally getting playing time and breaking out. Plus we have a real leadoff hitter this year. Last year we sucked because Rowand, Fontenot, Tejada, Hall, (Orlando) Cabrera, Whiteside, Stuart were getting most of the playing time. Not to mention Huff who the Giants front office called out big time after the season was over for blowing it so hard. So he moved his family to Arizona right away and has busted his ass off got into great shape and quit all the beer drinking. Cabrera did the same last year and look what it did for him.

Bochy isn't a good manager.. he ****ed the Giants over so much last year playing Huff so freakin' much and telling out top prospect to go eff' himself. Also not manning up to cry baby Beltran about playing LF instead of RF.

Excuses, excuses. The Giants didn't get it done. End of story. I could make 1000 excuses on why the Rockies had a bad season last year, but there is really no use because when everything is said and done its what happens on the scoreboard that matters.

Back