Major League Baseball: 2013-2014 Offseason and Spring Training

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 191 comments
You can have Josh Beckett if you want.
Are you paying his contract? If so I'm sure lots of teams will take him.

In the end the Tanaka race will be between LA and NY. I can see though both teams having issues winning the signing of this player. $30 M per year (which is what is rumored) is incredibly risky for a raw player and the Dodgers may have to equal or better that yearly rate for Kershaw. Meanwhile the Yankees desperately need Tanaka but if the price goes too high will they still push?

Let Tanaka worry about Tanaka. The money will sort itself out. Though I think Tanaka going to the Rangers to be with Darvish would be a gem, even though it would be for less money than LA and NY would pay would solidify the Rangers starting rotation as a solid #2 man. The rest of the rotation would sort itself out.

Let Tanaka worry about Tanaka. The money will sort itself out. Though I think Tanaka going to the Rangers to be with Darvish would be a gem, even though it would be for less money than LA and NY would pay would solidify the Rangers starting rotation as a solid #2 man. The rest of the rotation would sort itself out.
I wish Tanaka were going to the other NY team but we have no money so we can't even afford the posting.

Are you paying his contract? If so I'm sure lots of teams will take him.

In the end the Tanaka race will be between LA and NY. I can see though both teams having issues winning the signing of this player. $30 M per year (which is what is rumored) is incredibly risky for a raw player and the Dodgers may have to equal or better that yearly rate for Kershaw. Meanwhile the Yankees desperately need Tanaka but if the price goes too high will they still push?

I haven't read that rumor anywhere. Please source that. If you come back with Bob Nightingale or Nick Cafardo, then....

I haven't read that rumor anywhere. Please source that. If you come back with Bob Nightingale or Nick Cafardo, then....
What I heard on the radio from the sports station in New York. Not sure its 100% verifiable.

Sorry for double post but Kershaw will get better than what I said last night. Signed to the 7 year, $215 Million deal with opt-out after 5th year. 30.7 per is a ridiculous number and is the highest per year average in MLB history.

Last edited:
There are rums saying the cubs have offered 8/$200. :eek: Seems hard to believe.
They have no "geographic" advantage so they need to spend more in order to get him. That being said an average of 25 Million per for a player who has no MLB experience is very risky.

Great to see Wainwright doing the right thing with his contract extension. Wish Pujols hadn't have been so jaded by the club. I know he would have made all the difference last year, but then again the team was very young. Anxious to see how the younger players will step up this season.

I wonder where Tanaka is going to land...just 3 days left for him to decide. Not expecting Texas to land him.

I wonder where Tanaka is going to land...just 3 days left for him to decide. Not expecting Texas to land him.
Texas won't land him. If everything adds up though of the following:
1. Wants to play on the West Coast
2. Does not want to be "second fiddle."
3. Goes to the highest bidder.

Then it pretty much is between Arizona, Chicago and New York (Yankees). If so, then I rank it at Chicago, New York, Arizona.

No shock at all. 7/155 with player opt out clause after 4th year. Was hoping they didn't sign him because the Yankee fans immediately turn and start belittling the Mets, since they need to keep their egos inflated.

In comparison, Yu Darvish was 5 years, $60 million. Why nearly $100 million more for Tanaka?
New Posting system and a desperate team needing to outbid others significantly.

Tanaka is going to get clobbered in the majors. He's just a fastball pitcher. $155M strikeout/home-run dispenser.

Tanaka is going to get clobbered in the majors. He's just a fastball pitcher. $155M strikeout/home-run dispenser.
I hope so. Then everyone can laugh at how the Yankees invested wisely with their ARod money to have a huge contract.

Matt Garza to the Brewers, 4 years $52 million. Grant Balfour to the Rays, 2 years $12 million.

I wonder where Nelson Cruz will land. First pitchers and catchers report in 9 days, and he is still a free agent.

According to an article I saw on MLB.com today the Mariners and Orioles have been linked to him, with Texas in the mix as well. I'd like to see him come back as a designated hitter in Texas, but Choo took the number that he has worn with Texas...

Major League Baseball has approved of padded helmets for pitchers. I think they're optional, but anything to make baseball safer is fine with me. I think I read a line on ESPN's Bottom Line saying that 12 players took line drive hits to the head in the past six years. Scary. You can't make sports 100% safe, but anything to make things even remotely safe is fine with me.

Lance Berkman and Michael Young have decided to call it a career. Do you think either are HOF worthy?

I hope Young gets in. I enjoyed watching him growing up.

I will be very surprised if Michael Young makes the HoF. Will be equally surprised if Berkman (who has one more year than Young) gets enough votes.

I don't know enough about them myself. All I know is that Berkman was a Reds killer. I swear that guy could bat .800 against us. He was one of the killer B's along with Biggio and Bagwell and played well for the Cards late in his career. But like I said, I don't know enough about the guys to know one way or the other.

In other words, my post is pretty pointless. :lol:

Pretty soon, it will be time to think about Spring Training. All of the shuffling and signing all ultimately leads to building a team to contend for postseason play and (if fortunate) World Series triumph. I can only imagine what this season will bring ranging from the opening series in Sydney, Australia between the Los Angeles Dodgers and Arizona Diamondbacks all the way to the final World Series game of this coming season.

Though I'm very late, I do have the utmost respect for Lance Berkman. He was one of the "Killer B's" that kept the Houston Astros relevant. Those were the days- Biggio, Berkman, Bagwell, you go from there. Not sure how much of Hall of Fame material Berkman is, but he was a great part of the Astros' success in his time in Houston before going to other teams.

In other news, I can no longer call it Rangers Ballpark in Arlington...I have to get used to calling it Globe Life Park for the next 10 years.

In other news, I can no longer call it Rangers Ballpark in Arlington...I have to get used to calling it Globe Life Park for the next 10 years.
That is a terrible name for a stadium. No offense.

Latest Posts

Back