• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
Major League Baseball has been around since 1869. 144 years later, we welcome the 2013 season of Major League Baseball. All 30 teams are all equal again and all with hopes of making the postseason and playing in the World Series to become champions. All the while, 162 games spanning about six or seven months will test the mettle of all 30 teams all hunting for the same thing. Some will thrive; some will flounder. Players will emerge; other players will falter. Winning streaks and losing streaks will happen. And for one team- the Houston Astros- it will be the Astros' debut in the American League as all divisions among the American and National Leagues are now all even at five teams each. Of course, Astros went from the NL Central to the AL West.

The new season kicks off on opening night- March 31. First game of the season will be the Texas Rangers at the Houston Astros. More than ever... good luck to all of your teams this season.

I'm just hoping that the Reds can win a darn playoff series. And good luck to the Astros. I enjoyed the past couple years the Reds played against them. :sly: Not to be anymore.

Agreed. Downside is they play the stacked Angels on opening day... But the Angels don't have the best pitching rotation or relief. So maybe we can beat them. Im a big Reds fan. Went to probably 7 game last year. lol.

I'm debating about getting MLB TV since I'm not sure what kind of coverage is over on the left side of Michigan. I'm not sure if they'll be more coverage towards Chicago or Detroit, also I'll be working quite a few late nights through April and May and being able to watch games at my desk will have it's perks.

I hope the Tigers make a run at it and follow through this year, no more "almost there" seasons. I feel good about our lineup though and I think if we focus we can get back to the World Series. The AL really needs to win the All-Star game so our league gets home field advantage since that would really help.

I'm debating about getting MLB TV since I'm not sure what kind of coverage is over on the left side of Michigan. I'm not sure if they'll be more coverage towards Chicago or Detroit, also I'll be working quite a few late nights through April and May and being able to watch games at my desk will have it's perks.

I hope the Tigers make a run at it and follow through this year, no more "almost there" seasons. I feel good about our lineup though and I think if we focus we can get back to the World Series. The AL really needs to win the All-Star game so our league gets home field advantage since that would really help.

They are always rated top 5 every year but fall apart later in the year. They are the #1 team on MLB 13 the show.

Joey, enter your zip code on the mlb.tv site to see what teams are blacked out for your area. I would assume the Tigers have blackout restrictions throughout all of Michigan.

Edit: I just checked for you. 49316 shows Tigers as blacked out for live broadcasts on MLB.tv

Agreed. Downside is they play the stacked Angels on opening day... But the Angels don't have the best pitching rotation or relief. So maybe we can beat them. Im a big Reds fan. Went to probably 7 game last year. lol.

I hadn't looked at the schedule yet. Didn't realize that they were playing an AL team to kick off the season. It looks like the only AL teams they will be playing this season are the West. So they DO get to see the Astros this year. Yay! Unfortunately they will be facing Pujols to start off the season. What's the over/under on home runs you think he'll knock out of GABP? :lol:

Anyway, I'm glad they finally evened up the leagues. It wasn't exactly fair that the NL Central teams had to contest 5 other teams while the rest of the league only had to beat out 4 of their opponents (except the AL West, of course). Maybe, just maybe, the Astros can make some noise in the AL.

Joey, enter your zip code on the mlb.tv site to see what teams are blacked out for your area. I would assume the Tigers have blackout restrictions throughout all of Michigan.

Edit: I just checked for you. 49316 shows Tigers as blacked out for live broadcasts on MLB.tv

Thanks for letting me know. Looks like I'll just be listening to the games on the radio then while I'm at work, no big deal since I have the At Bat app which typically offers the radio broadcast. I also get pretty much any game on SiriusXM too which I can play through my tablet or phone.

Now I'm just excited for Opening Day, it can't come quick enough.

I'm very excited for the year to start. Jays are finally relevant again. Will probably make a couple trips to Toronto this summer, upper bowl seats are like $9.

I'm debating about getting MLB TV since I'm not sure what kind of coverage is over on the left side of Michigan.

I have a code for a free month if you want to try it out. It came with my copy of MLB the Show 13. But, I already bought my year subscription.

My team will do nothing. Hoping D'Arnaud, Harvey and Wheeler get a chance to impress for 2014.

I have a code for a free month if you want to try it out. It came with my copy of MLB the Show 13. But, I already bought my year subscription.

Sure, I'd like to give it a try. I didn't see one in my copy of The Show though.

Thanks 👍

Sure, I'd like to give it a try. I didn't see one in my copy of The Show though.

Thanks 👍

It should be on the back of the inner booklet.

By the way, if any of you guys want to play a game on The Show, add me: xViLLaiNx12 and do me the favor of saying that you're from GTP. 👍

For those of you who think teams won't do much of anything this coming season, which team do you think may possibly overachieve or provide the biggest surprise this season?

For those of you who think teams won't do much of anything this coming season, which team do you think may possibly overachieve or provide the biggest surprise this season?

Kansas City may be the biggest surprise. I think the AL Central is pretty weak this year.

All divisions aside from that seem to be close.

I think that the Nationals are ready to show us something. They made the playoffs last year and won their division title. If they remain healthy, they could repeat, or even win the NL.

For the AL, it would have to solely fall on Detroit if they want to keep traction in the AL Central. As someone pointed out earlier, they would build a big lead in that division, only to lose the title when it counted. Detroit really needs the big boy table if they want to win the division this year.

For me, it's the Rockies. They have good talent every where but pitching. Also, bringing in a manager that was familiar with the organization was a winning move. I hope to see some good games this year at Coors field.

After careful consideration I'm going to put my World Series prediction in.

Detroit vs. Washington with the Tigers taking it in 7. I also think the NL will win the All-Star game.

Can you believe it? Next Sunday is Opening Day for the 2013 season, as it will be the Texas Rangers at the Houston Astros. Time to get psyched for a new season! You have about a full week to get ready for the new season. Starting... NOW!

Can you believe it? Next Sunday is Opening Day for the 2013 season, as it will be the Texas Rangers at the Houston Astros. Time to get psyched for a new season! You have about a full week to get ready for the new season. Starting... NOW!

We have our MLBTV subscription all set and ready to go! Love baseball season. Have my teams (Yankees and Dodgers) but will watch any game on. So excited to see what the season holds. Should be a good one!

As an optimist my prediction is Blue Jays vs Nationals for the WS with Toronto taking it in 6 games.

For us we'll need to stay injury free and all the new acquisitions will have to play to their potential but if that happens, I see no reason why the Jays can't make the WS. Here's hoping...can't wait for opening day.

I see no reason why the Jays can't make the WS.

AL East isn't looking as treacherous this year. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rays and Jays in the top two spots. Blue Jays will need to have a lot of things go right for it to happen, but the pieces are definitely in place.

Injuries are a concern for every team, but I think the Jays are better off hoping for consistency. If Ricky Romero and Josh Johnson can turn into themselves from 2 or 3 years ago then Toronto will have a very dangerous rotation. You know already know what you're going to get from Mark Buerle. Dickey is probably going to see his ERA up a few ticks - the AL East is no stranger to the knuckleball.

The Jays have a solid mix of veterans and young guys when it comes to position players, too. E-Squared, Brett Lawrie, and, of course, those two guys named Jose.

Good pitchers, good hitters. Blue Jays have a lot to be optimistic about.

Of course, when you put Lawrie and Rasmus in the same dugout, there's going to be some maturity concerns. :P That should be fun to watch on ESPN.

Here is a look at the first series of the 2013 season:

* Texas Rangers at Houston Astros (Opening Day- March 31)

These other games take the first pitch on April 1:
* Miami Marlins at Washington Nationals
* San Diego Padres at New York Mets
* Chicago Cubs at Pittsburgh Pirates
* Colorado Rockies at Milwaukee Brewers
* San Francisco Giants at Los Angeles Dodgers (Prosthetic vs. Villain special!)
* Philadelphia Phillies at Atlanta Braves
* St. Louis Cardinals at Arizona Diamondbacks
* Boston Red Sox at New York Yankees
* Kansas City Royals at Chicago White Sox
* Detroit Tigers at Minnesota Twins (Joey D vs. Justin special!)
* Seattle Mariners at Oakland Athletics
* Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at Cincinnati Reds

Remember- you can't win the championship in the first game or the first series. However, you don't want to lose (if your team loses) and then feel like the season is some sort of lost cause. There's what... six or seven months of Major League Baseball to determine who wins the 2013 World Series. The first series of the season will basically be a way of saying, "this is the start of a 162-game journey."

All 30 teams have the same opportunity and the same chance to make the championship. Even the sorriest of teams can still emerge and surprise. So don't laugh when I say that every last team has the same chance and opportunity to make magic happen and become champions. Hope your team can make the most of this upcoming season. Good luck to all of your team(s) this season.

TripAdvisor noted PNC Park in Pittsburgh to be the best ballpark in the nation. I personally think AT&T Park is the most beautiful ballpark of any Major League Baseball ballpark, but I do love PNC Park too. Here are the top ten best ballparks according to TripAdvisor:

1.) PNC Park (Pittsburgh, PA)
2.) AT&T Park (San Francisco, CA)
3.) Oriole Park at Camden Yards (Baltimore, MD)
4.) Fenway Park (Boston, MA)
5.) Busch Stadium (St. Louis, MO)
6.) Citizens Bank Park (Philadelphia, PA)
7.) Petco Park (San Diego, CA)
8.) Kauffman Stadium (Kansas City, MO)
9.) Rangers Ballpark in Arlington (Arlington, TX)
10.) Wrigley Field (Chicago, IL)

I do agree with most of this list. My list would probably include the new Marlins Park at the #9 spot, and I'd flip-flop AT&T Park as #1 and PNC Park as #2. I really like Petco Park. So I'd put Petco Park somewhere lower than #2 and higher than #6.

What do you think about this list from TripAdvisor on the best ballparks in America? What would at least be your short list on America's best ballparks?

Wrigley Field? Really? Ya it's historical and every baseball fan needs to go there once but it isn't what I would call beautiful or even nice looking.

I'd agree with AT&T Park though, it's very nice, although I only got to see the outside of it since I was in San Fran during playoff times last year. I wish I could have seen inside.

I really like Comerica Park, and while it doesn't have the same historical qualities Tiger Stadium had, it really is a nice park with great seats and a view that makes Detroit look like something other than a complete dump.

I really liked Olympic Stadium too when the Expos were still around. It was anything special inside but I always thought the overall design was pretty cool looking.

As far as the A.L. Central is concerned - Joeys Tigers (I think) will take it. My Tribe has made some decent off season acquisitions, we've got some good sticks in the line-up, but we are still lacking in the pitching department. Well, we did acquire Brett Myers for the mound. If the pitching can come around and the sticks are working, we could be good, but not 1st place good. If the pitching fails and we give up too much, we could be in a heap of trouble. I'm looking at a 3rd or 4th place finish in the Central for the Tribe this year.

A little insight on the '13 Tribe.

Good luck to all of your teams this year. Here's hoping you can have a prosperous season. :cheers:

My Yankees traded for Vernon Wells? Really. We're in a sad state of despair. I'm even sickened by the following article, which states that A-Rod will make than the entire Astros team this year. That much money so he can be a cast and flirt with fans. Ridiculous. Release him already. I know the team would have to shallow a good chunk of money on that move. But enough has already passed. This team needs a rebuild, from the player personnel, to the mind set in the offices. We can't sign a decent free agent, and then trade for a washed up player with a massive salary. I need to stop. Getting a little heated.

Okay, I'm going out on a limb here with my 2013 predictions:
AL West - Texas.
NL West - tossup between the Dodgers and Giants. I'll go with the Dodgers.
AL Central - Tigers
NL Central - For sure the Astros won't win it :D Another coin toss, between the Reds and Cards, I'll go with the Reds.
AL East - Now it gets interesting. People seem to be favoring Toronto, and overall I agree with this; Blue Jays to take the division. However, the Orioles pulled a rabbit out of a hat last year, and the Rays have been pulling rabbits out of hats for a while now. One thing I'm pretty sure of is that neither the Red Sox nor the Yankees will be in the post-season.
NL East - The other interesting division. Disclaimer: I'm a Phillies fan living near Boston. Seems people are picking the ExposNationals or the Braves, more so the Nats than Atlanta. I'm going to go more with my heart than my head, and say the Phils will do it this year.

Back