Major League Baseball: 2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments
Darwin Barney received 5 stitches on his patella and a possible trip to the DL after chasing a foul ball in foul territory and sliding into concrete below the padding of the 1st baseline wall at Houston today. He's lucky he doesn't have a patella fracture a la Bill Mueller sliding into the 3rd baseline wall at Busch Stadium in 2001. Not the best way to start the season for the Cubs and the defending gold glove winner. His knee is currently immobilized to try and quicken the healing process. Cubs will probably scour the waiver wire and if it doesn't appear to need much time will probably fill the role internally.

While my Astros won that game 6-3 earlier today, I do hope Darwin Barney gets better soon. Good luck to the Cubs this season.

We just signed Paul Goldschmidt for another 5 years. 👍

Didn't have that great of a record in spring training, but I feel the season will be good. I never keep up with spring training because it doesn't really mean much to me. Let the real season begin. :)

The Tigers signed Justin Verlander to a seven year, $180 million dollar deal. That's quite a bit of money, but then again he is one of the best pitchers in the MLB and ranks up there with some of the great pitchers of all time. I know Verlander wants to stay with the Tigers for his entire career and if they keep throwing money at him like that, I don't see why he'd want to go anywhere else.

I'm also glad Mike Ilitch is stepping up to invest as much as is needed to make the Tigers a competitive team. I remember 10 years ago the Tigers had the most losses ever by an MLB team, and now they're continuously ranking up there with some of the other great teams throughout the seasons.

I'm really excited for Monday, first pitch is at 4:10 EST, so if I go into work at 6:30am, I should be able to get home in time to pour a beer and settle in front of the TV.

Opening Night is tonight. Here in Houston, it will be my Astros making their American League debut by taking on the hated Texas Rangers. All I hope is that the Astros don't pick up 100+ losses for the third straight season or have the worst record for the third straight season. Maybe we overachieve. Maybe we surprise. Regardless... all 30 teams have as equal a chance to win the championship. Only constant is the season. Only those who don't have forgettable seasons will be the ones contesting for the championship come October.

That said, good luck to all of your teams this season. Make the most of 2013.

Giants signed Posey to an 8 year $167 million dollar extension (Including the 1 year 8 million he signed for this year)... In comparison to other deals signed to similar length this is fabulous.

Cain, MadBum, and Posey will be the face of the franchise together until at least 2017. :)

And congrats to Nick Noonan for making the most with his second chance in the big league spring training camp. Made the team and he looks locked in right now. I love our 2 INF UTL guys.

Also grats to Guillermo Quiroz and Chad Gaudin making the team. Gaudin will be replacing what Mota did for the last few years. Quiroz will be our 3rd catcher. Sanchez having some injury issues right now so Quiroz will be emergency. The due has a nice swing though, I look forward to seeing him play a little.

Prosthetic, your Giants can brag as they are the defending champs. How do you gauge the 2013 season, and could San Francisco possibly be back-to-back champs?

And just like that... the 2013 season is under way! It was 8-2 in Houston as the Houston Astros took down the Texas Rangers. Our scoring began with a nice almost home run by Justin Maxwell. J-Max sent the first two runs home on a long hit. The big play was an opposite field three-run jack by R. Ankiel. One more run by the Astros helped seal the win for us. Bud Norris was the winner for us along with a Bedard Save. The loser for Texas was M. Harrison. Bo Porter picked up his first win as an Astros coach as well as our 4,000th franchise win.

Can't recall the last time we won on Opening Day. You think I'm happy even though this is just the first game out of 162? You damn right I am! We don't play again until Tuesday as this series continues here in Houston.

Congrats on the Opening Day win John :cheers:. You gotta be loving it when your team wins on Opening Day.

The Tribe's season commences on Tuesday evening up in Toronto for a 3 game stint. Go Tribe !

Them Astros are undefeated and stand alone in 1st place in the AL West.

That right there is a true statement.

Just for fun on another forum, I picked Anthony Rizzo as my 2013 NL MVP prediction. I'll have you all know that at the writing of this post, he's currently on pace for 162 homers and 324 RBIs. :sly:

Cubs won 3-1 over the Pirates on strong mid-season form pitching from Samardzija with 8 IP 2 H 0R 9K. As Villain mention, Rizzo hit the first pitch he saw for a 430' 2R HR to right center. Strong infield defense from Castro and Rizzo made things easy for Shark. Marmol made it interesting getting one out, giving up one run, and leaving with runners on first and second. James Russell and Kyuji Fujikawa combined to get the final two outs.

Last edited:
Clayton Kershaw hits picks the perfect time to hit his first home run: leading off the 8th inning in a scoreless ballgame:

kershaw-hr.gif

Kershaw went on to pitch the a hitless 9th inning after his home run set off a 4-run rally and perform a complete game shut out on Opening Day. I am just lost for words. I was at the game and I could hardly believe when I watched that ball disappear over the fence. The whole thing was surreal.

Also, thank you Hunter Pence:

MUQ3Wf0.jpg

I envy you guys in the States so much, going to an opening day ballgame, or any ballgame in fact, would just be awesome.

I envy you guys in the States so much, going to an opening day ballgame, or any ballgame in fact, would just be awesome.

Don't feel bad, you've got epic soccer fans.

Villain
Don't feel bad, you've got epic soccer fans.

I guess you're right but I love baseball and generally prefer American sports to the ones over here, so it's just a tad frustrating. At least we do get some MLB TV coverage over here.

Don't you guys call it rounders in the UK or something? I seem to remember when I was there I heard someone talking about it and was pretty confused.

As for Opening Day, the Tigers looked good and I'm really glad we signed Torii Hunter, he's going to be an excellent addition to our line up. Detroit's batting line-up as a whole is pretty good and I can't wait to see what they do when it isn't 30 degrees outside. Glad JV got his first Opening Day win too.

No we don't, but I can see where you may have got confused since they're quite similar in some ways. Rounders is like baseball but with underarm pitching, a smaller ball, smaller bat that's swung one handed and no strikes/balls/walks; you get one ball per at bat and run whether you hit or miss.

It's generally played just in schools and mainly by girls. Baseball isn't big here at all unfortunately, as you can probably tell from how we performed in the WBC qualifier.

Ah not the greatest home opener. Arencibia having a lot of trouble with the knuckler :lol:

Braun hit a ridiculous home run tonight. The pitch was down and away and he literally bent over and took it out to right for a 2 run HR. Carlos Gonzalez hit a 2 run bomb to deep center a little later to tie the game at 4-4.

Edit: Yu Darvish is perfect through 8 innings with 14 strikeouts.:eek:

Last edited:

Latest Posts

Back