Major League Baseball: 2013 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 1,997 comments
That's the first one I've ever seen make it to the 9th and not go all the way (I count the umpire's mistake as a perfect game in my book).

Still remember where I was last perfect game too :lol:.

Darvish stat line:

8 2/3rd IP 1H 0BB 0R 14K.

Hard hit ball up the middle with 2 outs and he just could 't get down on it quick enough. At least it wasn't a cheapie. Nice ovation by the crowd. It appeared he may have developed a blister by the way he kept looking at his finger. Awesome performance.

Last edited:
It was 7-0 as my Astros did the only manageable thing we could do- avoid being the victim of a Perfect Game. They finally decided to score some hits in the final inning after (basically) conceding defeat. Bad weather was coming tonight here in Houston, but it was already stormy for the Astros to try to salvage whatever they could. Rubber Game tomorrow afternoon.

Darvish must've thought he could win the MLB 2K13 Perfect Game Challenge the way he pitched. You aren't supposed to pitch that well in your first start.:scared:

Thank god he didn't get the perfecto. My opponent in fantasy had him.

Heath Bell already in mid season form.

Astros will get a day off after failing 4-0 to Texas earlier today. So here's the Rangers at Astros series tally: 8-2 win, 7-0 loss (and almost a Perfect Game victim), and 4-0 loss. Long season just getting started. Since the Astros are my boys, I won't hear the last of the Astros being the butt of all the Major League Baseball jokes. It's still extremely early to follow the Texans instead at this point of the season.

Currently losing 4-1. First game showed some promise. Now it's back to the same old stuff. I think starting the season against the Cardinals though was going to be tough anyway.

New York Mets 2-0. Then again they aren't playing anyone (San Diego doesn't qualify as anyone). Harvey though is becoming a bonafide Ace.

Votto made his first hit of the season count with a walkoff tonight. And barring two bad pitches, Latos looked great. If the Reds can stop striking out, maybe they can do something. Rubber match tomorrow afternoon.

In other news, Ludwick going out for several months will likely hurt them, though last year they played great baseball while Votto was out.

...and just like that we're winning 5-4 on a 2-run homer by Goldschmidt.

Maybe I should complain more often. :P

Edit: Or not. :(

Last edited:
Votto made his first hit of the season count with a walkoff tonight. And barring two bad pitches, Latos looked great. If the Reds can stop striking out, maybe they can do something. Rubber match tomorrow afternoon.

In other news, Ludwick going out for several months will likely hurt them, though last year they played great baseball while Votto was out.

Latos got lucky with the ground rule double. Had it not gone over we would have scored another run, but whatever. I'm getting to upset over this, lol.

Dodger bats are still struggling to warm up... Still haven't hit a home rum aside from the one by Clayton Kershaw. Hopefully that all changes with the Pirates coming to town this weekend.

Rough series with the Dodgers offense looking pretty weak against the Giants, but I'm looking forward to watching Greinke make his first start on Friday.

The position player home run drought won't last forever.

Headed to the top of the 12th....

Edit: Now the 13th... Edit: 14th... Edit: 15th... Edit: 16th...

Ok last edit. If we go to the 17th, I'm going to bed. :P

Edit #5: WIN!

Now bed. :D

Last edited:
That sounded like a crazy game last night. Something like 5 hours and 30 mins? Crazy.

Cubs almost got Marmoled again today. Went into bottom of the 9th up 3-0 after a 9th inning 2 R HR by Nate Schierholz and he promptly gave up 2 runs and had runners at 1st and 3rd before getting a strikeout and double play.

He's decent/good when he's on but he doesn't attack the zone enough IMO and tries to nibble at the edges even though he doesn't have to command to do it. Part of what makes his fastball good is both he and the batter don't know where it's going to go at any time so he can get away with bad strikes early in the count. He can't fall behind like he has the past couple games though. Hitters will sit dead read on his straight fastball. He hasn't been helped any by the umps though. Both games early in the 9th he threw what pitchtrax or whatever it's called said was strike 3 but the ump called bal. Both times he ended up walking the batter leading to a jam. He's to wild to not have strikes be called strikes by the umps and get away with it.

The Reds finally decided to get a little bit of offense going. Homers by Choo, Frazier (and an inch or two from having another one), and Heisey. Votto finished the series with only 1 hit. But I can't really complain as the hit was a walkoff and he still has a good OBP thanks to all of his walks. Anyway, I'll take a first series win to start the year. 👍

Toronto finally decided it was time to get the bats working as well, welcome to the 2013 season guys!

Homers from Bautista, Arencibia (twice), Encarnacion and Rasmus and we're still not done. Just hoping our bullpen can hold the lead and avoid a sweep at home to start the season; that wouldn't exactly be ideal considering the amount of hype that everybody's put on the team.

Top of the 9th ... 10-8 Blue Jays. Ahh well, we got out out Toronto with a 2-1 record to start the season. Next up, Tampa Bay Rays.

Enjoy the first weekend series of the season, everyone. My Astros will host the Oakland Athletics. The Sunday Night match will involve tje series between the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim at the Texas Rangers.

But again- get psyched for the first weekend series of the season! MLB on FOX will be back with Saturday games.

Holy Moly, Reds! :eek: 6 homers! Choo hit his 2nd in as many days. Xavier Paul connected on a pitch for a grand salami. And Cozart and Frazier each hit 2. That makes 3 for Frazier in the past 2 games, and he had another one hit the top of the wall, but not quite clear it yesterday, as well. Phillips did his usual thing defensively, flashing the leather on a nice grab in the 7th to save a run and double up the guy on 2nd. And if Bruce would quit striking out, I would enjoy his doubles a little bit more. Oh, and Votto's average went up a decent amount with his 3 hits.

And to top off the tremendous offensive game that came out of nowhere, the Reds pitched a shutout. Homer wasn't great (he was missing his spots on his non-fastball pitches), but he only allowed 2 hits and no runs through 6 innings.

I just know that Leake is going to get no run support tomorrow. 15 runs is nice, but they needed to save some of those runs for the rest of the series. :lol:

Last edited:
Was able to listen to Vin Scully tonight while driving down to Chicago. Best line I heard was "Johnathon Sanchez 'The Mango Hunter' looks in." Just great. Wish I was able to listen to him more often. I love him and Ueker.

Stopped in 3rd or 4th but it sounded like Greinke was dealing.

Turned the Cubs-Braves game on in the bottom of the ninth. Ouch. Cubs got Uptoned.

Latest Posts

Back