Major League Baseball: 2014 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 986 comments
Hmm... interesting parallel. In 1985, the Cardinals defeated the Dodgers to move onto the W.S., whereas this year they beat the Dodgers to go to the NLCS. The Royals defeated the Angels in the ALDS and then the Blue Jays (AL East champ) to move on to the W.S. This year, again they play the AL East champ, but with the Orioles instead.
Also worth noting that every game of the 7 game series was finished under 3 hours. This year, no matter who advances, I don't think a single game will be finished in under 3 hours :lol:

We got Kansas City at Baltimore tonight as the American League Championship Series kicks off. It's Shields (KC) vs. Tillman (BAL) tonight on the mound. The National League Championship Series gets underway on Saturday. That one on Saturday will pit San Francisco at St. Louis. That match will involve A. Wainwright (STL) going up against Madison Baumgarner (SF). So the possibility exists that there COULD be not only a possible all-Midwest World Series, but also a possible all-Missouri World Series if Kansas City and St. Louis advance to the 2014 World Series. I'm sure GTPlanet's Missouri baseball fans can appreciate this.

Good luck to the four remaining teams in the 2014 Postseason.

Last night, it was the Kansas City Royals that took down the Baltimore Orioles 8-6 in 10 innings in Baltimore. A jack by KC was the difference in beating the O's.

Tonight, it's the start of the NLCS in St. Louis. Game 1 of the NLCS will see Adam Wainwright (20-9, STL) vs. Madison Bumgarner (19-11, SF). The fun begins at 8:07 PM EDT. Good luck to both teams tonight.

Half of the 2014 World Series is set! The Kansas City Royals will meet the winner of the SF/STL NLCS for the World Series. Yep- Royals swept the Baltimore Orioles. I found this out as I found that "Congrats to the Royals" was trending on Twitter.

So we got the Kansas City Royals. Who will meet the Royals in the 2014 World Series- the San Francisco Giants or the St. Louis Cardinals? We'll see as the 2014 NLCS plays itself out.

*cue Lee Corso*

"Not so fast, my friend!" We may not have a "Missouri Series" if San Francisco wins one more game in the 2014 NLCS. SF is ahead 3-1 in this series. Game 4 is tonight in San Francisco at beautiful AT&T Park. I think the pitching match tonight will be Adam Wainwright (STL) vs. Madison Bumgarner (SF). How much longer can St. Louis try to extend this series? They'll need to (pardon the cliché/expression) pitch a shutout to make a KC vs. STL World Series possible. Otherwise, all SF needs is one more win to make the 2014 World Series Kansas City vs. San Francisco.

Congrats to the Giants. At least it was my boy Ishikawa that did the Cardinals in. Damn.

This gives the Royals a better shot to win it all. If the NLCS went all the way, KC might have issues since it seems like the team that sweeps the CS gets swept in the WS if the other series goes all the way.

With a 6-3 victory in San Francisco... our 2014 World Series is set. It's the Kansas City Royals vs. the San Francisco Giants. So your dreams of a "Missouri Series" World Series will not happen this season.

Anyone want to make early predictions between KC and SF, and in how many games?

images

Do the colors of that broom have any significance?

It would be cool if the Royals swept the post season completely. Where the hell did they come from, anyway? I thought KC was a dumpster franchise. I'll be rooting for KC since they haven't won in like 50 years and they have really good BBQ.

The 2014 World Series begins this Tuesday at 8:07 PM EDT, and it will be San Francisco at Kansas City. The pitching probables for Game 1 will be Madison Bumgarner (SF) vs. James Shields (KC).

I was thinking the same thing with the color of that broom, Omnis. I don't have any picks or favorites to win between San Francisco and Kansas City. Part of me wants to see Kansas City win it. But again- I have no favorites and not making any picks. So let me ask again- if you have predictions, who wins and (optional) in how many games?

It's time to start the 2014 World Series. Will it be the Kansas City Royals of the AL to become champions, or will it be the San Francisco Giants of the NL? It's time to begin that best-of-7 series to determine once and for all this season's champions. The fun begins tonight in the city with all kinds of fountains- Kansas City, Missouri. For the pitching duel for Game 1 tonight, it's James Shields (KC) vs. Madison Bumgarner (SF).

Good luck to both Kansas City and San Francisco in this World Series, and all congratulations to whomever eventually wins the 2014 World Series.

@Omnis the Royals last won the WS in 1985 on a (very bad) call.
I'm definitely rooting for the Roys, mostly because I hate the Giants but also due to the fact they snuck in. I really hope they don't go cold one they did many times during the season.
Also worth noting... whichever team wins the World Series, they will have the most postseason wins in a single season. If it goes to 7 games, the loser will have the most wins in a postseason to not win the W.S., due to the extra wildcard game. It used to be 11 wins for WS win, and with the wildcard winner, it's now 12.

Well......that went well. I wasn't able to get home before the start but by the time I did I saw the score and didn't bother turning the game on.

First blood in the 2014 World Series was decisively drawn by San Francisco with a 7-1 victory at Kansas City. Second game of the 2014 World Series is tonight. It's Jake Peavy (SF) vs. Yordano Ventura (KC) on the mound. KC needs to win this one to extend the series to at least a Game 5. Otherwise, they'll have to do so in San Francisco.

Enjoy the game if you will be watching!

[UPDATE] Game 5 will be in San Francisco, NOT Kansas City. I changed this post and made the edits.

Last edited:
Game 5 guaranteed because the Kansas City Royals returned the favor from being beaten 7-1 in Game 1... to beating San Francisco 7-2 in Game 2 in Kansas City. Game 3 of the 2014 World Series goes to the Bay Area and beautiful AT&T Park on Friday. The World Series is a 1-1 tie.

[UPDATE] Game 5 will be in San Francisco, NOT Kansas City. I changed a previous post and made the edits.

Last edited:
I hope you love the city of San Francisco, and I hope you don't mind AT&T Park, because games 3-5 will be in San Francisco. Game 3 of the 2014 World Series is tonight. Pitching probables for tonight are Jeremy Guthrie (KC) vs. Tim Hudson (SF). Who will have a 2-1 advantage heading into Game 4 tomorrow? We shall see tonight.

Good luck to KC and SF as this series continues.

Game 3 of the 2014 World Series went to Kansas City in a 3-2 victory at San Francisco. I think I read the winner of Game 3 goes on to win the World Series 70% of the time. I am not sure if this stat includes World Series when it is tied at 1-1 heading into Game 3 or not, but the Royals have the edge for now.

Tonight is Game 4 of the 2014 World Series, and tonight's pitching duel in San Francisco involves Vargas (KC) vs. Ryan Vogelsong (SF).

Well forget the Royals. Not rooting for them anymore after the Marlins Man debacle.

11-4 was the score in Game 4 as the San Francisco Giants dun' blowed up in Kansas City's faces. The 2014 World Series is now 2-2, assuring a Game 6 back in Kansas City. Congrats to SF on the win on Saturday night.

Back