Major League Baseball: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 429 comments
Joe Girardi is on the market. He got shown the door as the Yankees' manager. I wonder where he will end up next.

The Houston Astros won a World Series game for the first time in franchise history with a football-like score of 7-6 in 11 innings. The Astros joined Major League Baseball the same year of the New York Mets- 1962, and Houston as the Colt .45s. The Astros were swept in the 2005 World Series when they were in the National League and playing against the Chicago White Sox. The World Series now shifts to H-Town for Games 3-5. Best the Astros can do on this Houston stretch is to win all three of these games and become World Series champions. The worst they can do is get swept by the Dodgers in the three Houston games. Many people think this series is going 6 games or the full 7-game distance. So far, 3 of the 6 series this postseason went the full distance, including the HOU-NYY ALCS.

Game 3 tomorrow night here in Houston. Series tied 1-1. Get psyched!

[UPDATE] Misspelled "Girardi" twice- in the original post and in the edit. Sorry, man!

Last edited:
When Girardi, who owns the best MLB record over the last 10 years at 910-710, can't keep his job it is a sad day for baseball. Teams just want puppets that will do what the front office wants and who follow all the new game stats. Before this season started there were rumors that he was getting worn out and wanted to spend more time with his family. There was an article recently about how he moved his family earlier in the year from NY to Florida and all season Cashman would not commit to bringing him back and renewing his contract. He could have made the World Series or even won it and they still would have let him walk.

Rumor is he may end up in Washington, if they are willing to make him the highest paid manager in the sport. My guess is he takes a year off, lets Miami fire Mattingly and then Jeter makes him the new Marlins manager for 2019.

It's Game 3 of the 2017 World Series tonight. The series now shifts to Houston for three games. We are assured at least a Game 5 by virtue of the series being tied at 1-1. Tonight...

PITCHING PROBABLES: Yu Darvish (LAD) vs. Lance McCullers (HOU)

The Astros dealt with Darvish before when he used to pitch for the Texas Rangers. Now, he'll try to shut down the Astros in their house in Dodgers garb. The 2017 World Series continues...

It was 5-2 last night as the Houston Astros won to take a 2-1 World Series lead over the Los Angeles Dodgers. We got Game 4 of the 2017 World Series tonight here in Houston.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Alex Wood (LAD) vs. Charlie Morton (HOU)

...and this World Series continues...

5 game suspension in 2018 for Guriel, racism is bad but game 4 of the WS is more important. :odd:I'm hoping for some old school justice by the Dodgers tonight personally.

I guess it's okay when the Dodgers do it, then?
eyes.jpg

What is the context of that picture? Was he calling the guy that was standing a foot away a slant-eyed chinito?
He literally did the same gesture as Gurriel. That's the context. If you can find me an article about this player also being disciplined I'll stop trying to argue about this.

You were hoping for justice... how does a 6-2 Dodgers win over the Astros sound? So we are assured a trip back to California for a Game 6. The 2017 World Series is tied at 2 now. Tony Watson won for LAD, and Ken Giles lost for HOU.

[UPDATE] 6-2, Dodgers. Not 6-1. Changes made.

Gestures aside, I'd be happy if either team wins.

Dodgers were choke nation for the last few years, and Houston was just a colossal upset, in the post season.

Though, I'm bias, my Padres would've been a better choice. :lol:

We got a World Series tied 2-2 as Game 5 begins tonight. Game 5 will provide the psychological advantage to the winner. The winner of a 5th game in a best-of-7 set challenges the losing team to have to win Game 6 (and ultimately Game 7) to have any hope of becoming a champion. The loser of Game 5 knows the series isn't over, but feels very much on the brink of failing. So whomever wins Game 5 has a cushion, but isn't guaranteed to close out. Got to earn it. Every day, every game.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Clayton Kershaw (LAD) vs. Dallas Keuchel (HOU)

The game begins tonight at 8:00 PM EDT here in Houston. It's the final game in Houston this season. After this, Game 6 (and if a Game 7 is forced) are in Rancho Cucamonga.

This has definitely been an entertaining series. One more for Houston, hopefully they can pull it off!

Really crazy to watch the fact that virtually no lead is safe in this series. You just can't assume its over and turn away if a team gets a decent lead at the end of the game like you would most of the time.

Not to change subjects, but NFL is gonna start hitting their decline soon. It's just too brutal on the head. Anyway, I'm really looking forward to seeing how Dodgers do at home. I'm not too confident in Rich Hill starting for the Dodgers but he's at least got experience. Verlander is gonna be scary but if they get good hits on him and try to shake him, maybe he'll open up a bit. We'll see! I'm probably gonna need more oxygen anyway.

Happy Halloween!

The 2017 season of Major League Baseball has been a memorable one. However, it could end tonight. This Halloween will be a treat to one team while offering a rough trick to the other. You guessed right so far if you predicted this World Series to go six games. The World Series is back in Rancho Cucamonga after three games in Houston. This HOU-LAD World Series has been an absolutely cracking series. Pending forfeiture or some kind of disqualification or protest, one of the following will happen:

A.) Houston Astros win 2017 World Series in 6 games
B.) Houston Astros win 2017 World Series in 7 games
C.) Los Angeles Dodgers win 2017 World Series in 7 games

Whatever the case, this has surely been quite the heavyweight fight. But again, it could all end if the Astros win tonight. If the Dodgers win tonight, however, the winner-take-all Game 7 is tomorrow. The Dodgers have had home field advantage all postseason long.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Justin Verlander (HOU) vs. Rich Hill (LAD)

Enjoy tonight's game! And if the Houston Astros win tonight, congratulations on winning the 2017 World Series!

Happy Halloween!

The 2017 season of Major League Baseball has been a memorable one. However, it could end tonight. This Halloween will be a treat to one team while offering a rough trick to the other. You guessed right so far if you predicted this World Series to go six games. The World Series is back in Rancho Cucamonga after three games in Houston. This HOU-LAD World Series has been an absolutely cracking series. Pending forfeiture or some kind of disqualification or protest, one of the following will happen:

A.) Houston Astros win 2017 World Series in 6 games
B.) Houston Astros win 2017 World Series in 7 games
C.) Los Angeles Dodgers win 2017 World Series in 7 games

Whatever the case, this has surely been quite the heavyweight fight. But again, it could all end if the Astros win tonight. If the Dodgers win tonight, however, the winner-take-all Game 7 is tomorrow. The Dodgers have had home field advantage all postseason long.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Justin Verlander (HOU) vs. Rich Hill (LAD)

Enjoy tonight's game! And if the Houston Astros win tonight, congratulations on winning the 2017 World Series!
I love how calm you are in your posts with how close the 'Stros are to winning it all. I'd be a hot mess if the Reds came anywhere near even getting past a single postseason round. :lol:

Good luck to Houston. They were the punching bags of the NL Central for years. Nice to see them play this well.

Astros lost that game. Completely missed every opportunity to score a run. Otherwise this would've been over in 6.

After the Houston Astros' 3-1 fail on Halloween, the 2017 World Series will go the seven-game distance. One of these 100+ win teams will get the biggest win of all- the Commissioner's Trophy and the declaration of champions of the 2017 season of Major League Baseball. The World Series has been back-and-forth all series long. In fact, here is a summary of the action so far:

GM1 HOU at LAD: 3-1; Los Angeles Dodgers
GM2 HOU at LAD: 7-6, 11 innings; Houston
GM3 LAD at HOU: 5-3; Houston
GM4 LAD at HOU: 6-2; Los Angeles Dodgers
GM5 LAD at HOU: 13-12, 10 innings; Houston
GM6 HOU at LAD: 3-1: Los Angeles Dodgers
GM7 HOU at LAD: ???

So how did both the Astros and Dodgers get here? Houston took out the Boston Red Sox 3-1 in the 2017 ALDS followed by taking down the New York Yankees 4-3 in the 2017 ALCS. This marked Houston's 2nd ever World Series. Houston also made history by being the first team to win the Pennant as members of the National League and the American League. They won the NL pennant in 2005 with a team that (in my opinion) was more lucky than good. That 2005 Astros squad would go on to be swept in the 2005 World Series by the Chicago White Sox. The Los Angeles Dodgers had to deal with the Arizona Diamondbacks and won the NLDS in a 3-0 sweep. Then, the Dodgers had to take on the defending champion Chicago Cubs in the 2017 NLCS. The Dodgers eventually beat the Cubbies 4-1 to advance to their 17th(?) World Series.

Houston had the 3-2 series advantage but failed to clinch the title in Game 6. The Astros probably wished they had that Game 4 again to be able to clinch the title at home. The Los Angeles Dodgers just don't go away. And if they go out, they go out fighting. Just ask the times the Astros were ahead until the Dodgers scrapped their way back. Now all either team has to do to win the World Series is either win on the road (HOU), or win at home in a Game 7 you forced (LAD). The majority of people picked the Dodgers to win it all. Home-field advantage means the Dodgers could try to go walk-off in the 9th Inning (or later if in Extra Innings) if trailing. So it won't be easy for the Astros to try to go into the Dodgers' house and win the World Series.. Most even saying the Astros aren't deep enough to win a championship.

After Game 7, we will know for sure who the kings of Major League Baseball will be. It will either be the Dodgers winning their first championship since 1988, or the Houston Astros winning their first ever World Series championship. Nothing excites in team sports like Game 7 to decide a champion. Either team really is deserving to win. One will win it all; the other will have to try again next season to make it back to the postseason. And one team would surely have to see all that dominance in the regular season followed by a stellar postseason all go for nothing or come up short of a championship.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Lance McCullers (HOU) vs. Yu Darvish (LAD)

*deep breath and exhale* Methinks I hyped this one enough. This is why we have these big games and these big moments.

Good luck to the Houston Astros and the Los Angeles Dodgers in Game 7. Congratulations to the eventual 2017 World Series champion.

Not quite as memorable of some of the other marathons of this world series but a game where you hit 4 batters in 2 innings and win 5-1 is pretty amazing.

Back