Major League Baseball: 2017 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 429 comments
Apparently, the New York Yankees eliminated the Cleveland Indians tonight. My Houston Astros already handled the Boston Red Sox some time back. So our 2017 ALCS is set- the Houston Astros against the New York Yankees. So wow... congrats to the Yanks!

The ALCS, as a fan and watcher of baseball, certainly is looking to be a more juicy and intriguing match up then the probable Cubs-Doyers NLCS.

Also some sweet schadenfreude to the one Cleveland fan I know who thought they were going to Warriors' through to the World Series on the account of the AL being weaker this year then ever. Yeah right bud.

Farrell fired in Boston after a World Series and then back-to-back 93 win seasons and AL East titles. Rough town.

I'm glad the Yankees are still playing because I can't take watching the Giants this season.

Farrell was done considering he lost the room. The fact that seemingly could not handle the Eckersley - Price feud by basically trying to defend his player, plus a whole bunch of other small problems that he kind of let fester and not simply shut down right away probably contributed, as Dombrowski said, it wasn't the performance in the ALDS that was the cause.

Price has not had a good stint in Boston either.

At the same time though, the media's hounding of Price has been disgraceful at best. But that's Boston sports media, and indeed, Boston in a nutshell: it doesn't matter how good the Celts, Pats, or Bruins are. The Sox are the only thing that matters.

It would have been interesting to see how that cubs/nats game would have turned out if the bat to Wieters head could have been reviewed.

Man, that was a classic Verlander performance. I'm going to miss him in Detroit but I hope like hell he gets his ring this year with the Astros.

Yes, it's dated but there really is a Trump Tweet for anything.

Man, that was a classic Verlander performance. I'm going to miss him in Detroit but I hope like hell he gets his ring this year with the Astros.

Yes, it's dated but there really is a Trump Tweet for anything.

I've been following the Astros my whole life, and went to that 18 inning ALDS game. I'm even more pumped about this team than I was in 2005.

What if Donald Trump is living in a timeline that is 4 years faster than the one we are in, so he makes decisions now in his timeline we wouldn't see until 4 years later?

I've been tight-lipped about my Houston Astros, but I do want them to win it all. I still feel it won't be this year despite their amazing run. The season may end for the 2017 Houston Astros if they don't force Game 7 tomorrow night. And they'd have to (of course) win that Game 7 to make their second-ever World Series. I almost feel sentimental about the Astros trying to win it all because there was a promotion that buying over $3K in goods from Gallery Furniture here in Houston, that if the Astros won the championship, all of those purchases would be free. Then consider Hurricane Harvey battering the Houston-Galveston area and not many people able to financially keep up. So I almost feel like it would be a great story for the Astros to win it all this season.

Then too, the New York Yankees are absolute world beaters ever since knocking off the Cleveland Indians (almost said Cleveland Cavaliers) in the ALDS. Houston is no stranger to sports futility, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Yankees eventually 86 us out of the 2017 postseason. I want the Astros to win it all. Just that... we have this Houston sports stigma of not being good enough to last to become champs. Until we get over that, there's still at least a modicum of hope down here in H-Town.

Yep. Half of the World Series is apparently set. The Los Angeles Dodgers will meet the winner of the Astros/Yankees ALCS. So congratulations to the Los Angeles Dodgers. I read the Dodgers won 11-1 tonight over the Chicago Cubs. Damn...

I'm predicting an absolute bloodbath tonight. Probably finishes 9-8, both starters out of the game after 4 or 5. Pitching on both sides has been pretty good throughout the series; Verlander has been too good lately, and Severino isn't what you would call clutch. Maybe I'm completely wrong, but that's my prediction.

For Astros supporters:
DMgiFRIUQAEYtHv.jpg

Disclaimer: Don't know how accurate these stats are.

Yankees were nowhere to be seen in their past form Game 6. Hohoho. I'm absolutely hyped for #7.

Worked out well tonight. 2017 World Series is now set. ESPN was probably wanting Yankees/Dodgers so they could vomit money, but this should be good.

Tuesday, Oct. 24th, it'll be the Houston Astros facing the Los Angeles Dodgers.

The 2017 World Series is set! It's the Los Angeles Dodgers vs. ...the Houston Astros! 4-0 was the final here in Houston for Game 7 of the American League Championship Series. So Houston will head to the World Series for only the second time in franchise history. The last time was in 2005; then in the National League Central, and against the Chicago White Sox. The 2017 Houston Astros have a chance to do two things they've never done in the World Series- win a game and (obviously) win the World Series. They have a chance to change that when taking on the Los Angeles Dodgers. Here is the ALCS summary:

GM1 NYY at HOU: 2-1; Houston
GM2 NYY at HOU: 2-1; Houston
GM3 HOU at NYY: 8-1; New York Yankees
GM4 HOU at NYY: 6-4; New York Yankees
GM5 HOU at NYY: 5-0; New York Yankees
GM6 NYY at HOU: 7-1; Houston
GM7 NYY at HOU: 4-0; Houston

If the Yankees won, they would have made the World Series for the 41st time in franchise history. But... no. 41 will have to wait for the Yanks. The Dodgers are playing in their 17th(?) ever World Series in team history and first time since 1988 (some of you GTPlaneteers may have been born then).

Tell it, GTPlanet. The 2017 Major League Baseball champion is (and optional- how many games?)...

3 runs in 4 games in Houston for NYY and Charlie didnt choke in a big game.:eek::eek:

:odd:

Anyway, the Dodgers pitching has been so dominant I cant pick against them.

Plus ban the DH, go NL.:D

What started with Spring Training and continued with a 162-game grind... now comes down to this. We had 30 teams all eligible to make the postseason. Ten proven themselves to be among the better percentile of all the teams. Two Wild Card games brought things down to eight teams. Eight became four through the Divisional Series, and four became two through the Championship Series. Now... it's down to two. Only one of the two can become champions of the 2017 season of Major League Baseball. This best-of-7 will come down to the Houston Astros of the American League and the Los Angeles Dodgers of the National League. Two will enter, but only one can become champion. The winner will have plenty to brag about in the offseason. The loser will have to settle for next season or some other future season to have this championship opportunity again.

This is the first World Series match of two 100+ win teams since 1970. The Home format is 2-3-2: 2 in Rancho Cucamonga, 3 in Houston, and 2 back in Rancho Cucamonga. The majority of predictions I've heard were Dodgers either in 6 or 7. But we'll see what happens.

GAME 1 PITCHING PROBABLES: Dallas Keuchel (HOU) vs. Clayton Kershaw (LAD)

Good luck to both HOU and LAD in this 2017 World Series.

LA in 7 in extra innings. I think it's gonna be close.

I wish they'd settle on the damned format though. 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1, either works but pick one and stick with it.

Game 2 of the 2017 World Series is tonight at the Dodgers.

PITCHING PROBABLES: Justin Verlander (HOU) vs. Rich Hill (LAD)

Remember that the Dodgers have home-field advantage by virtue of having more wins. Let's see how this one goes.

Back