Major League Baseball: 2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 319 comments
The Reds may have been eliminated from the playoff race, but some other interesting goings-on happened during the series against the Cubbies.

-The Reds took the season series against the Cubs (somehow) for the first time since 2014.
-Eugenio Suarez set the record for most home runs in a season by a Venezuelan with his 48th tonight to pass Andres Galarraga. On the season, he's only 1 dinger behind Pete Alonso for the lead in the Majors. And he needs 4 more to tie George Foster for most homers in a season by a Red. Finally, I think the final stat I heard tonight was he tied the mark for the most by a National League 3rd baseman in a season (though I could have heard wrong).
-Lastly, but not least, Marty Brennaman called his final road game tonight. He'll finish up his career calling the final home stand this week.

Here is another update of the list of Playoff teams that I forgot to post last night or earlier today:

--- Who's IN! American League ---
New York Yankees (2019 AL East Champions)
...AL Central Champion...
Houston (currently leads AL West, hasn't yet clinched AL West)
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

--- Who's IN! National League ---
Atlanta (2019 NL East Champions)
...NL Central Champion...
Los Angeles Dodgers (2019 NL West Champions)
...NL Wild Card 1...
...NL Wild Card 2...

Still a lot of slots left to fill out. So if your favorite team(s) is/are still in the hunt, keep battling hard to make the postseason! Enjoy this penultimate weekend of the 2019 regular season of Major League Baseball.

[UPDATE] The Atlanta Braves are your 2019 NL East Champions after Friday's games. No new teams made the postseason as of yet; I just wanted to update this post to reflect on the changes to the current postseason picture.

Typos corrected also in this post.

Last edited:
It's the penultimate weekend of the 2019 MLB regular season. It also happens to be the final home stand for the Houston Astros in 2019, as we hosted the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Let's find out how this three-game series ended:

GM1 LAA at HOU: (6-4; Houston)
GM2 LAA at HOU: (8-4; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM3 LAA at HOU: (13-5; Houston)

The boys from Anaheim couldn't take down my Houston Astros, as we took two out of three from the Halos. The Astros in Game 1 scored five runs in the first inning alone. That cushion was good enough for the Astros to take Game 1. Game 2 was another rough start for Wade Miley, giving up three runs and with the Astros basically trying to clean up Miley's mess. Didn't happen. Game 3 was absolute redemption with Justin Verlander picking up another win. It wasn't just any win, though- it was an AL West clinching win!

The Houston Astros are your 2019 AL West Champions (third straight season)! Our record is now 102-54. It's now all about the Astros watching the Yankees and the Dodgers for the best record in baseball. Astros especially should watch the Yankees for home advantage in the AL side of the playoffs. We have the same number of wins as the Yankees, but the Yanks have lost one more game than us at 102-55. Should we make it to the World Series and if the Dodgers make it there, we'll have the home advantage as LAD is currently 99-56 as of the time of this post.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we're not done with the state of California, but we will be done with the state of Washington with a two-game series of late games in Seattle. That two-game series starts on Tuesday night after taking Monday off. This is the penultimate series in the 2019 regular season. And after that, our regular season concludes with a four-game set at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

You saw it in my summary. Now, the updated "IN!" list:

...AL Central Champion...
Houston (2019 AL West Champions)
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

St. Louis (lead NL Central, haven't yet clinched)
...NL Wild Card 1...
...NL Wild Card 2...

No new teams "IN!" at this point, but four division champions have been crowned. Oh, and in case you didn't realize... the defending champions, the Boston Red Sox, have been eliminated from the 2019 postseason during this series. So we will have a new champion come playoffs time.

As an off-topic note, Gallery Furniture here in Houston has been famous for a promotion in 2017 in which if the Astros won the World Series, people who bought $3K USD worth of furniture would have their furniture for free. Pay attention to the "if" part of what I just said. Some recent commercials had the same promotion. Only now there were parts saying "WHEN the Astros win the World Series." I mean, some people here in Houston believe in this 2019 Astros team so much that anything less than their second-ever World Series championship would be a failure and a failed season.

Besides all of this, congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won today/tonight.

[UPDATE/OMISSION] St. Louis clinches postseason berth. Reflected changes in this update.

Last edited:
Well. that's it. Joe Maddon has to go. If the Cubs want to reopen the Championship door they need to be aggresive in the offseason. And WIN on the road.

This week is the final full week of Major League Baseball for the 2019 regular season. No new names have joined the Playoffs list so far, and no new teams clinched any divisions or home advantage. So check my previous post to see who all are currently in the Playoffs. As of the time of this post... the AL Wild Card belongs to Oakland and Tampa Bay, and the NL Wild Card belongs to Washington and Milwaukee. There is still lots of time to determine who all will slot where in the 2019 MLB Playoffs.

Enjoy this final stretch heading into the 2019 postseason. Keep battling if your team(s) still has postseason aspirations!

Sleepless in Seattle. Two LATE GAMES! This summary involves the Houston Astros at the Seattle Mariners. So here you go:

GM1 HOU at SEA (3-0; Houston)
GM2 HOU at SEA (3-0; Houston)

Game 1 was a dominating pitching performance by Gerrit Cole. He pitched his eighth successive game with 10+ strikeouts. Another cool story was that he recorded the most strikeouts in a season with 314, surpassing former Astros pitching great J.R. Richard. Game 2 almost saw Zack Greinke get a no-hitter, until Kyle Tucker of SEA broke up the no-no with a single in the Bottom of the 9th. Greinke was two outs away from a No-Hitter in that game at that moment. Other than that, Greinke had an amazing time striking out Mariners in Game 2 of this set.

We now have our most wins in a single season- 104! So the best the Astros can do to close out the regular season is 108 wins. For now, we'll enjoy our 104-54 record, thank you very much.

Up next for the Houston Astros... our final series of the regular season is at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. This one's a four-game series in SoCal. So more LATE GAMES! Maybe for the Astros' Alex Bregman, it's a chance to tell Anaheim in their face who the MVP is, since it's a battle of HOU's Alex Bregman and LAA's Mike Trout.

Teams are going to make the postseason; some others will miss it. So here's the latest Playoffs list of "IN!" teams (updates in italics:

Minnesota (2019 AL Central Champions)
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

Washington (clinched NL Wild Card)
Milwaukee (clinched NL Wild Card)

Still a lot of slots to fill in. Some teams, such as the Chicago Cubs, are done for attempting to make the postseason. The National League is all set at this point. All to be determined now is the American League side of the Playoffs.

Congratulations to all recent series winners, those who locked up postseason berths, and those who won Wednesday's games.

First division title since 2010, now hopefully we can get our first postseason win since 2004!

I think if the Playoffs started tonight, my Houston Astros would get the AL Wild Card winner in the ALDS. Of the AL Wild Card contenders, the one that concerns me the most is the Oakland Athletics. The A's are pesky and talented. Wouldn't be surprised if the A's advanced in the AL Wild Card game. Right now, it's Oakland and Tampa Bay both with 95 wins. Cleveland is on the outside looking in. The Minnesota Twins are not going to be a cakewalk. These guys recently banged 300 homers this season. Twins got some offense. And if they are going to go out, they'll go out fighting.

On the National League side, some people thought both NL Wild Card slots would go to the NL Central. It's the Nationals and Brewers with the NL Wild Card slots at present. I really did think the Cubs would make a run for it. However, the Cubbies are done.

I also didn't think the Detroit Tigers would have the worst record in baseball this season. For some time, it was the Baltimore Orioles with the worst record while also being home run practice to most teams. But... it is the Tigers who'll end up with the worst record. Detroit is currently 46-112 as of the time of this post. I'm sure most Detroit sports fans probably looked forward to Lions football, Pistons basketball, and Red Wings hockey.

October cometh.

While my Houston Astros are battling the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim in a four-game series, I must update the Playoff picture. So here goes:

Oakland (clinched AL Wild Card)
Tampa Bay (clinched AL Wild Card)

Washington (clinched NL Wild Card)
Milwaukee (clinched NL Wild Card)

So the ten Playoff teams are set for the 2019 Postseason! All that remains is mostly Playoff positioning. And of course, I'll have the summary of HOU at LAA when it concludes.

New HR record set tonight by Mets 1B Pete Alonso, who belted his 53rd HR in his rookie season, breaking the mark held by Aaron Judge (2017). Alonso already had broken the marks of most HR by a first year player (Bellinger, 39, 2017) AND most HR by a National League Rookie (also Bellinger).

The Rangers tenure in Globe Life Park is over...

I wanted to go to one more game as it was, just never lined up that way. I'm not that invested in the team either, but the Ballpark in Arlington is still cool. You knew where you were, what it was for, and who played there, before you walked in. I recall being awed by the park itself, not so much the team as they always ended up sucking eggs the few games we went to. It's not going away, it's popular for large concerts and the XFL is taking residence next year, but after the game today they dug up home plate, paraded it around the old park, then took it to the new one just across the street. A nice touch, but I think I'm going to understand how people feel about a idolized venue being replaced by a new trinket.

Maybe the new place will be able to fit the old ones shoes, but if all the other new stadiums are any indication, it'll just be a building with a team in it, lifeless and dull on its own.

It's the final regular season series of 2019 for the Houston Astros, and it was a trip to Anaheim, California to meet the Angels. The four-game series ended up like this:

GM1 HOU at LAA (4-3, 12 innings; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM2 HOU at LAA (4-0; Houston)
GM3 HOU at LAA (6-3; Houston)
GM4 HOU at LAA (8-5; Houston)

The final series of the season went the Houston Astros' way at the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. Just about any further wins by the Astros would just add to the Astros' most number of wins in a single season. A sweet would have been amazing, but we'll take three out of four. Wade Miley gave up more runs early in a game to start Game 1. The Astros never led despite sending the game into Extra Innings thanks to two homers to keep it at 3-3. An RBI single by LAA gave the Halos a walk-off win in Game 1. Saddest thing of all was that the Astros left a total of about 17 on base through the entirety of Game 1. Two jacks by the Astros helped lift the Astros in Game 2. The big bomb was by Uncle Mike (Michael Brantley) in the Top of the 8th- a three-run homer to go from a 1-0 lead to a 4-0 lead at that game. A rare thing happened to the Astros in Game 2- an immaculate inning! An immaculate inning is nine pitches leading to three strikeouts. The Houston Astros pitched an immaculate inning in the Bottom of the 8th with Will Harris. It was the first Astros' immaculate inning since Brandon Backe did it against the Milwaukee Brewers on April 15, 2004. We were assured Home Advantage on the American League side of the playoffs either with a win or a Yankees' loss. Justin Verlander reached 3K strikeouts all-time in Game 3. However on that 3,000th strikeout, Kole Calhoun reached base on a failed strikeout-throw out attempt. So, strikeout No. 3K was not as sweet as Verlander would like. His 300th strikeout of the season was sweet, though- and on the same guy he got 3K all time on! Winning Game 3 assured the Astros the best record in baseball and home advantage through the entire Playoffs. Game 4 saw more history made- no pitcher in MLB history since 1913 has ever gone nine straight games with 10+ strikeouts until Gerrit Cole accomplished this feat in this Game 4 of this series. A good deal of Astros' scoring in Game 4 helped push the Astros ahead of the Angels to conclude this series.

The 2019 Houston Astros finished the regular season with the best record in baseball this season- a record of 107-55. They are the 2019 AL West champions, and their mark of 107-55 is the most ever wins in a single season for the Astros. It is the third-successive season of 100 or more wins for this franchise. The Astros will get the winner of the AL Wild Card game (Tampa Bay at Oakland) in the 2019 ALDS. We also finished the entire regular season without issuing an intentional walk. These guys are about as dialed in as dialed in can get.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... the 2019 American League Divisional Series (ALDS)! Best-of-5 series coming up.

All the Playoff slots are complete. Here's what the postseason looks like as we salute our champions:

Oakland (AL Wild Card 1)
Tampa Bay (AL Wild Card 2)

St. Louis (2019 NL Central champions)
Washington (NL Wild Card 1)
Milwaukee (NL Wild Card 2)

All that remains is to begin the games to determine who wins the Commissioner's Trophy.

Congratulations to all recent series winners, those who made the playoffs, those who became division Champions, and those who simply won games today/tonight. Better luck next season to those teams who failed to make the postseason. Hopefully 2020 will be better for you.

The 2019 regular season of Major League Baseball is over. Here is the final Standings Updte after the 162-game grind to show where teams have finished. Find your favorite team(s) here:

(! = division winners)
(bold = playoff teams)

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE: Final 2019 Records ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees! (103-59), Tampa Bay (96-66), BOS (84-78), TOR (67-95), BAL (54-108)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota! (101-61), CLE (93-69), CHW (72-89), KC (59-103), DET (47-114)
AL WEST: Houston! (107-55), Oakland (97-65), TEX (78-84), LAA (72-90), SEA (68-94)

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE: Final 2019 Records ---
NL EAST: Atlanta! (97-65), Washington (93-69), NYM (86-76), PHI (81-81), MIA (57-105)
NL CENTRAL: St. Louis! (91-71), Milwaukee (89-73), CHC (84-78), CIN (75-87), PIT (69-93)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers! (106-56), ARI (85-77), SF (77-85), COL (71-91), SD (70-92)

It's been a long grind, but we have the ten top percentile teams among the 30 Major League Baseball teams. Those ten will compete to become champions of the 2019 season of Major League Baseball. Here are the early Playoffs alignments:

* NL Wild Card: MIL Brewers at WAS Nationals
* AL Wild Card: TB Rays at OAK Athletics

* ALDS 1: (TB/OAK winner) at HOU Astros
* ALDS 2: MIN Twins at NYY Yankees

* NLDS 1: (MIL/WAS winner) at LAD Dodgers
* NLDS 2: STL Cardinals at ATL Braves

The first of the Playoff action begins this Tuesday with the NL Wild Card Game. Good news- you're in the Playoffs! Bad news- your Playoff run can last all but one day. Baseball can be an unpredictable game. If one team has their worst performance in a one-game Playoff, your season is OVER. You don't have the luxury in a Wild Card Game to have extra games to save you from elimination. No. You lose the Wild Card game, you're DONE. No second chances.

Having said all that, get ready for some playoff baseball! Okay, ladies and gentlemen of GTPlanet... you're free to share your thoughts on how you think this postseason will play itself out. Everything from who all you think will advance to who you think will win the 2019 World Series is fair game. So if you're willing to chat before any games are played, go ahead. Tell it!

Welcome to the 2019 MLB Playoffs!

Wild Card Elimination Games. One game. One shot. Blow it, and you're DONE. You don't have the luxury of extra games or a series in case you lose. It's basically like the Little League World Series' championship game- single elimination. You produce your worst performance, you're out. So play like there's no tomorrow with the Wild Card games!

Today is the continuation of one team's playoff run, and the end for another as the NL Wild Card game is played tonight in Atlanta between the Milwaukee Brewers at the Washington Nationals. The pitching duel will be between Brandon Woodruff of MIL up against Max Scherzer of WAS. The winner of MIL at WAS will take on the Los Angeles Dodgers in one of the two NLDS games starting on Thursday. The loser of MIL at WAS is DONE for the season.

This NL Wild Card game will be shown on TBS. Game time starts around 7:08 PM EDT.

I did not see or follow the NL Wild Card Elimination Game in any capacity, so this is just what I see from a report. It's all over in the NL Wild Card for... the Milwaukee Brewers. The Washington Nationals knocked out the Milwaukee Brewers by defeating them 4-3 in Washington, D.C. I saw the box score of this one as Milwaukee had the early 3-0 edge. But afterwards, Washington scored four unanswered runs, including a three-run 8th inning for the for good go-ahead. The winning pitcher for WAS was Stephen Strasburg with a Save from Daniel Hudson. The losing pitcher for MIL was Josh Hader.

The Washington Nationals will face the Los Angeles Dodgers in their NLDS series starting on Thursday. Congratulations on a great 2019 season to the departing Milwaukee Brewers, though.

After tonight, we will determine who the Houston Astros will face in their ALDS match when the Tampa Bay Rays at Oakland Athletics game concludes in the AL Wild Card Elimination Game tonight. The winner of TB at OAK will play the Astros starting on Friday.

It was 5-1 in Oakland, California as the Tampa Bay Rays stymied and stunned the Oakland Athletics. So we now have our AL Wild Card winner set to take on the Houston Astros in one of the ALDS series. I'll tell you what- I was NOT expecting this! Oakland can be a pesky team that won't go away. Former Astros' pitcher, and a pitcher who helped the Astros lock down the World Series championship in 2017, Charlie Morton, was the winning TB pitcher. Sean Manaea was the losing OAK pitcher.

Done are the Milwaukee Brewers and the Oakland Athletics. The Divisional Series begins Thursday with the NLDS followed by the ALDS on Friday!

[UPDATE] Completely forgot to mention Charlie Morton. Changes made.

Last edited:
I will just take this crack at this saying Twins are out after Tonight's game.
Unless something comes up and we can actually play for once then maybe.

Today could be the end of the line for the Minnesota Twins, and it could also be the end of the season for the Tampa Bay Rays. Both the Yankees and Astros are ahead 2-0 in their respective ALDS series. Both of the NLDS series are 2-1 affairs, with the Los Angeles Dodgers leading the Washington Nationals and the Atlanta Braves leading the St. Louis Cardinals. Remember that the Divisional Series are best-of-5. The Championship Series and the World Series are both best-of-7. We'll fill out the respective Championship Series once the Divisional Series conclude as four teams will be one step closer to the 2019 World Series.

The New York Yankees finished off the Minnesota Twins last night in a 3-0 sweep. They'll meet the winner of the HOU/TB series starting this Saturday to set up the 2019 American League Championship Series. All congratulations to the Twins on a fine 2019 season. I figured whomever would win between the Yankees and Twins would be a great challenge in the ALCS. I feared the Yankees more than the Twins. The Yanks are no pushover. When it's the playoffs, you get your opponent(s) best shot. You are not facing some weak team that was thankful to get there. No. You're getting a solid competitor even if you're supposed to waltz all over them. With that said, the Twins just didn't have enough to sink the Yankees. End result... Twins = DONE.

Only one game on tonight- Houston at Tampa Bay. This ALDS series is at 2-1 in favor of Houston.

The 2019 National League Championship Series will be set tonight. Tonight:

* STL Cardinals at ATL Braves
* WAS Nationals at LAD Dodgers

Both series are tied at 2-2. Also, have you heard that the Oakland Athletics could move to Las Vegas to perhaps join the (current) Oakland Raiders?

Enjoy tonight's NLDS action!

I read the St. Louis Cardinals hung 10 runs on Atlanta in Atlanta in the first inning! They ended up destroying Atlanta 13-1 to advance to the 2019 NLCS. Wow.

Atlanta Braves = DONE.

Nationals at Dodgers is going on right now as of the time of this post. Scoreless game in the Bottom of the 1st as of this post.

[UPDATE] Dodgers vs. Cardinals NLCS? Nationals vs. Cardinals NLCS? Yes. The latest Playoffs casualty is the 106-win Los Angeles Dodgers. The Nationals somehow came from three runs down to end the Dodgers' 2019 season in 10 innings in a 7-3 final. After seeing the box score, they tied things up at 3 through 9 innings, then the Nats hung four runs on the Dodgers in the Top of the 10th. Tough way for the Dodgers to go out. Anyhow...

Los Angeles Dodgers = DONE.

Last edited:
The NLCS begins tomorrow as the St. Louis Cardinals and Washington Nationals square off to fill out one half of the 2019 World Series. The Nationals hit a Grand Slam in the Top of the 10th to vault themselves ahead of the Los Angeles Dodgers for good last night. That's tomorrow night. Tonight, however...

The winner of tonight's Tampa Bay Rays at Houston Astros ALDS series game will get the New York Yankees on Saturday to set off the 2019 ALCS. Since this game involves my Astros, I'll have the series summary whether Tampa Bay or Houston advances to the ALCS.

Friday's Around The Horn on ESPN should be interesting because Los Angeles sports writer Bill Plaschke was on yesterday's show and he GUARANTEED that the Dodgers were going to win that game. He will be back on tomorrow to eat some rather large amounts of crow.

Yeah, Plaschke is definitely one to watch. I'll definitely tune in for that.

As a lifelong Rockies fan I see a lot of the Dodgers. I remember chuckling back when they had announced they renewed Roberts contract. The guy is great with players but has displayed managerial ineptness in critical situations for years. IMHO, with a Maddon or Girardi or even Bud Black from my Rockies, or any number of other strategically competent managers, the Dodgers might have won a World Series or two out of this current run they are on. To be fair, it is a razor thin margin for error in the post-season, but things like last night cannot be defended. Kershaw should never have been in with a fully rested Maeda already warmed up. And then he leaves the next guy in to load the bases....and STILL leaves him in to face another batter? Incredible. :banghead:

And even as a Rockies fan who loathes the Dodgers, I can't help but feel empathy for Kershaw. A seemingly classy guy who is certainly among the best of his generation, but he just can't quite rise to the occasion in the post-season. I just hate to see someone fail like that when they so desperately are trying to succeed. Shoot, I'm old enough to remember when Barry Bonds had that rap as well. He was rather famously inept in the post-season despite being one of the best hitters in history (even before getting artificially jacked up). But Barry was such a complete jerk that no one seemed to care about his failures outside of Giants fans. :lol:

It's like when Verlander wanted the ball the other night for the Astros on 3 days rest. As much as you want to see your main guys succeed, you sometimes need to save them from themselves and that's what happened with Kershaw last night.

Here is the Houston Astros vs. Tampa Bay series summary:

GM1 TB at HOU: (6-2; Houston)
GM2 TB at HOU: (3-1; Houston)
GM3 HOU at TB: (10-3; Tampa Bay)
GM4 HOU at TB: (4-1; Tampa Bay)
GM5 TB at HOU: (6-1; Houston)

The Houston Astros finally put away the Tampa Bay Rays and end their 2019 season. I thought the Astros would win Game 5, but I was not as confident they'd pull if off. Gerrit Cole was once again a beast. So your ALCS is the Houston Astros vs. the New York Yankees. And let me tell you something- I am scared of the Yankees. I always say of the glamour teams (Dallas Cowboys, Los Angeles Lakers, and New York Yankees), I can most tolerate the Yankees. The Astros know what they are in for when the Yanks come calling. As for the Tampa Bay Rays, I at least thank them to where my Astros didn't have to play Oakland in the ALDS! Other than that...

Tampa Bay Rays = DONE.

So now the League Championship Series are set! It's Astros-Yankees on the AL side, and it's Cardinals-Nationals on the NL side. The fun begins tomorrow with the NLCS. Get psyched!

Unless the St. Louis Cardinals can engineer some kind of reverse sweep, we may have half of our 2019 World Series set if the Washington Nationals defeat the Cardinals tonight. The Nationals are up 3-0 on the Cardinals in the 2019 NLCS. Game 4 is tonight in Washington, D.C.

Meanwhile on the AL side, it is Game 3 of the 2019 ALCS in the Bronx as the Houston Astros are at the New York Yankees in a 1-1 series. Yanks convincingly took Game 1, but the Astros made sure the Yanks didn't go up 2-0 as Houston won on an extra innings walk-off solo homer by Carlos Correa.

That's all. Enjoy some MLB baseball.

Half of the 2019 World Series is set. The Washington Nationals swept the St. Louis Cardinals earlier tonight. So the Nationals will meet the winner of the Astros/Yankees ALCS in the World Series. The Nationals are making their first World Series appearance. St. Louis couldn't figure out the Nats. And so...

St. Louis Cardinals = DONE.

Back