Major League Baseball: 2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 319 comments
Tonight is the start of the All-Star Game festivities, starting with the Home Run Derby. Tomorrow night is the All-Star Game. All of the action is taking place in Cleveland, Ohio at Progressive Field. This break in the regular season means it is time to look at how each of the teams are doing as we look ahead to the action once the regular season resumes. So here is a Standings Update. Where do your favorite teams lie so far? Find out here (source: Yahoo! Sports):

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE: AT ALL-STAR BREAK ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (57-31), TB (52-39), BOS (49-41), TOR (34-57), BAL (27-62)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (56-33), CLE (50-38), CHW (42-44), KC (30-61), DET (28-57)
AL WEST: Houston (57-33), OAK (50-41), TEX (48-42), LAA (45-46), SEA (39-55)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: Tampa Bay and Cleveland

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE: AT ALL-STAR BREAK ---
NL EAST: Atlanta (54-37), WAS (47-42), PHI (47-43), NYM (40-50), MIA (33-55)
NL CENTRAL: Chicago Cubs (47-43), MIL (47-44), STL (44-44), PIT (44-45), CIN (41-46)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (60-32), ARI (46-45), SD (45-45), COL (44-45), SF (41-48)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: Washington and Philadelphia

--- OTHER OBSERVATIONS: AT ALL-STAR BREAK... ---
PERCENTAGES:
...BEST WIN PERCENTAGE: Los Angeles Dodgers (0.652)
...WORST WIN PERCENTAGE: Baltimore (0.303)

RECORDS...
...BEST HOME: Los Angeles Dodgers (37-12)
...BEST AWAY: Minnesota (28-18)
...WORST HOME: Baltimore (11-31)
...WORST AWAY: Baltimore (16-31)

STREAKS...
...LONGEST WINNING STREAK: Cleveland (6 straight wins)
...LONGEST LOSING STREAK: Colorado (6 straight losses)

CURRENT TEN-GAME STRETCH...
...BEST CURRENT 10-GAME STRETCH: Washington (8-2)
...WORST CURRENT 10-GAME STRETCH: Kansas City, Detroit, and Seattle (2-8 each)

ONE-RUN GAMES (games decided by one run)...
...BEST 1-RUN GAME RECORD: San Diego (19-9)
...WORST 1-RUN GAME RECORD: Kansas City (6-16)

So this is what all of these teams will be looking at once the All-Star festivities end. It will be interesting to see who can maintain their proper form, or maybe we can see lower teams make a playoff push. Now for some extra musings...

And how about that NL Central? I told you the NL Central was going to be fun to watch in 2019. However, I wasn't expecting the field to be THAT narrow! From the lead to the bottom is within 4.5 games. It seems like almost anyone in the NL Central can win. Meanwhile, the best record in baseball remains with the Los Angeles Dodgers; and the Dodgers are well ahead in their division, leading 2nd Place Arizona by 13.5 games. The bottom team with the best record so far is Dolph Drago's Cincinnati Reds at 41-46.

Speaking of bottom teams, most of the woes have been with American League teams. I know I said Detroit probably wouldn't be dead last in the AL Central. But... they are. They're in the AL Central basement looking up at Kansas City. Seattle fell off the map after a fine start to the 2019 season. Seattle is in the AL West basement. Still with the worst record in baseball is the Baltimore Orioles at 27-62 and 30.5 games behind the AL East leading New York Yankees.

There you have it. Good luck to all of the All-Stars and all of your favorite teams the rest of the way.

And this is where Minnesota gets reminded that we're Minnesota and we need to lose. :lol:

The Vlad Guerero Jr. / Joc Pederson semifinal duel in the home run is the best damn battle I've ever seen in the derby. No contest.
Vladdy had 91 HR and still lost to Mets 1B Pete Alonso. 3 of the final 4 have only been in MLB since May 2018 and the finals featured two rookies.

Tonight in Cleveland, Ohio is the 2019 MLB All-Star Game. As one GTPlaneteer once said, "the AL plays money; the NL plays baseball." So if you want to refer to the two leagues at that, then will "money" or "baseball" prevail tonight? The pitching duel will be Justin Verlander (HOU, AL) up against Hyun-Jin Ryu (LAD, NL) in the 2019 MLB All-Star Game.

Should you be watching or following, enjoy the All-Star Game!

The American League won the 2019 MLB All-Star Game 4-3 back on Tuesday.

The regular season continues starting today. Every game from here on out is towards playing for the championship. Every team still has a chance to make the postseason. Even if your team is in a terrible position, nobody has really been mathematically eliminated or anything. So keep up the pitching, hitting, base running, and things like that, as the season resumes!

On a somber note, my condolences go out to former pitcher and author of "Ball Four," Jim Bouton, who died recently at the age of 80.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams as the season continues.

[OMISSION] Major League Baseball reportedly has suspended Jake Marisnick of the Houston Astros for two games. This suspension is because of on his collision with LAA's Jonathan Lucroy at home plate. So the Astros will be without him for the first two games of their four-game weekend series at the Texas Rangers starting tonight.

Last edited:
The Twins managed to win game 1 of the very important series in Cleveland. They had to come from behind, but what matters is that they were ahead at the end of the 9th inning. Hopefully the next two games end up the same way.

The Angels honored Tyler Skaggs with a combined no hitter. That game also happened to be the first combined no hitter in California since July 13, 1991- the day he was born.

As for the Tigers, they are still doing a damn good job of pursuing 2003's infamy.

I was going to echo the congratulations the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim with their combined no-hitter in their 13-0 spanking of the Seattle Mariners last night. So thanks for sharing, AnthonyD1993.

As for my Houston Astros... so far, so bad in our four-game set at the Texas Rangers. It was a 5-0 loss on Thursday for the Astros followed by a walk-off 9-8 loss last night. So the 'Stros are 0-2 after the All-Star Break. The Silver Boot series continues tonight in Arlington, TX.

What happens when you have two teams from the same city or the same state playing each other? You have yourself a rivalry. The latest in the Houston-Dallas rivalry was played out this weekend after the All-Star Break. So what happened in Arlington, TX? Series summary:

GM1 HOU at TEX: (5-0; Texas)
GM2 HOU at TEX: (9-8; Texas)
GM3 HOU at TEX: (7-6, 11 innings; Houston)
GM4 HOU at TEX: (12-4; Houston)

As you can see, the Houston Astros managed a series split in their final ever regular season visit to Globe Life Park. I did not see games 1 and 2, but I noted the Astros had the lead in Game 2, until Texas got a walk-off hit that sunk the Astros in Game 2. It was a pretty nice offensive showcase in Game 3. I just hated we had to give up back-to-back jacks by the Rangers to tie Game 3 2-2 early. The Houston Astros hit their ninth Grand Slam of the 2019 season in Game 4. A bomb by José Altuve gave the Astros a 10-2 lead in the Top of the 7th. We managed to sneak in a couple more runs that inning in Game 4 thanks to a two-run jack by Yuli Gurriel.

Texas is now 50-44, 3rd in the AL West. Houston is now 59-35 on the season, leading the AL West by 6 currently over the 53-41 Oakland Athletics. With the Minnesota Twins losing today, we are tied with the New York Yankees for the most wins among AL teams. Yanks still with fewer losses than the Astros- they've lost 32 compared to the Astros' 35 losses. The Los Angeles Dodgers still have the best record in baseball at 61-33. LAD will be at the Boston Red Sox later tonight.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we had one four-game series; now, we have another starting on Monday. No rest for the weary as we're going to Anaheim to meet the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for a four-game series. So, uh... LATE GAMES!

Here is something I picked up during the Astros' radio broadcast of Game 4. I mentioned the Houston Astros have nine Grand Slams on the season so far, which is a franchise record. The most Grand Slams hit by a team in a season is 14. The Oakland Athletics performed this feat in 2000, and the Cleveland Indians also hit 14 Grand Slams in 2006. Not sure who it was, but there was one player who hit six Grand Slams in a season.

Congratulations to all other winners from today/tonight as well as recent series winners. Hopefully your favorite teams are among the winners.

I was hoping for the sweep, but I'll take 2/3 over Cleveland. Next is a home stand against the Mets, Athletics and *gulp* Yankees.

The Reds be Redding again. The 3 game series in Denver ended in two, 1-run losses and a blowout win.

Game 1: 2-3 loss
Game 2: 17-9 win
Game 3: 9-10 loss.

Game 2 was nuts. It started with a 3 hour rain delay. And there were so many hits and runs, it didn't end until about 3 am in Cincy. During said game, the Reds had 5 triples and 3 home runs. Senzel had 2 of the three-baggers. Phillip Ervin had a 6 for 6 night, tying the franchise record for hits in a game. Oh, and he and Senzel were both a home run short of hitting for the cycle. Puig and Peraza finished with 4 hits themselves.

The Houston Astros got a series split in their last series. How would the boys from Southeast Texas do when they paid a visit to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? Series summary:

GM1 HOU at LAA: (9-6; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM2 HOU at LAA: (7-2; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM3 HOU at LAA: (11-2; Houston)
GM4 HOU at LAA: (6-2; Houston)

So this road trip is exactly a .500 effort as we managed back-to-back series splits. The only game I really followed was Game 1, but fairly briefly. The Angels issued a handful of walks early on for the Astros to go ahead. However, they end up LOSING Game 1 despite the walks. I hardly saw any action afterwards in this series. The 2019 Houston Astros are now 61-37 on the season and hold a 5.5 lead over the 55-42 Oakland Athletics in the AL West. Every team except Seattle is above .500 in the AL West (SEA is 39-60).

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we're back home! We have two series coming up against AL West foes, starting with the Texas Rangers starting on Friday night followed by three games against the Oakland Athletics.

Congratulations to all winners from Thursday as well as recent series winners.

The Lone Star Series continues! This time, the remaining games are in Houston. So here's a summary of what happened between the Rangers at the Astros over the weekend:

GM1 TEX at HOU: (4-3; Houston)
GM2 TEX at HOU: (6-1; Houston)
GM3 TEX at HOU: (5-2; Houston)

Get the brooms out- the Houston Astros swept the Texas Rangers here in Houston. Texas is a tough team, so I'm especially pleased we pulled this off. Last year saw the Houston Astros hit back-to-back-to-back jacks in a game. Well in Game 1 of this series, they went back-to-back-to-back again. It began with José Altuve, followed by Alex Bregman and big Yordan Alvarez. Game 2 was a tribute to the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11. I guess the Astros' way of celebrating was by connecting moon shots on the Rangers in that game. We took the Silver Boot in Game 2 by virtue of our season series lead of this HOU-TEX series. I still fear the Texas Rangers, though. They might make themselves an AL West Wild Card berth even if we don't win the AL West this season. Texas is still a very viable Wild Card threat. The 2019 Houston Astros are now 64-37 on the season after this sweep of the Rangers. We still lead the AL West over the Oakland Athletics by 6.5 games.

Up next for the Houston Astros... a BIG series is coming up as we host the Oakland Athletics for a three-game set starting tomorrow. The A's concern me GREATLY. They got plenty of power and talent. We don't have to sweep the A's, but a series win will surely make me happy. We'll see what happens.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as all who won today.

The Houston Astros had a big series that wrapped up earlier today when the Oakland Athletics came on down to H-Town. Here's my summary of this three-game series between the top two in the AL West:

GM1 OAK at HOU: (11-1; Houston)
GM2 OAK at HOU: (4-3, 11 innings; Oakland)
GM3 OAK at HOU: (4-2; Houston)

The Houston Astros would have had an undefeated home stand had it not been for Game 2. Unfortunately in Game 2, all of Wade Miley's 2-0 almost complete game shutout went to ashes thanks to a three-run jack in the Top of the 9th in Game 2. We managed to bring the game to extra innings, only to fail. Wednesday afternoon's Rubber Game was how we made amends. This past weekend was a celebration of Apollo 11. So it was fitting we won by putting 11 runs on the board in Game 1. The 2019 Houston Astros are now 66-38 on the season maintaining the AL West lead. The Astros now lead the second-place Oakland Athletics by 7.5 games.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we take Thursday off before having another NL Central family reunion. The last series we were on the road against an NL Central foe, we got swept by the Cincinnati Reds followed by losing 2 out of 3 at the Pittsburgh Pirates. Let's see how things go when we get some more Midwestern hospitality at the St. Louis Cardinals for a three-game weekend series. One of those HOU at STL games will be on the FOX networks.

Elsewhere...

Here are some other games that went final as of the time of this post:

* At "The Trop," it was 3-2 in favor of the Tampa Bay Rays hosting the Boston Red Sox. Former Astro Charlie Morton picked up the win and gets a Save from Emilio Pagan. David Price was the loser for Boston.

* The same score of 3-2 was also how the Washington Nationals won at home today against the visiting Colorado Rockies. It was a win for Wander Suero and a save from Sean Doolittle. For Colorado, their losing pitcher was Carlos Estevez.

* 4-0 was the score in Detroit at the Philadelphia Phillies blanked the Detroit Tigers. This sad day in MoTown was thanks to a win by Vince Velasquez. Jordan Zimmerman was the losing pitcher for the Tigers.

* I mentioned the Reds earlier. Did Dolph Drago's Cincinnati Reds did good at the Milwaukee Brewers today? No. The Brew Crew won 5-4 in the tightly-contested NL Central. Former Astro Matt Albers picked up the win for Milwaukee and gets a Save from Freddy Peralta. The losing Reds pitcher was Lucas Sims.

Congratulations to all series winners and game winners from today and tonight.

This Tigers team has an actual chance to eclipse the "success" of the 2003 team. For reference, that "success" is the worst season for the team in franchise history with the team being a game or two away from having the most losses in a season in MLB history.

It's time for another series summary. Let's see how my Houston Astros did when they paid a visit to one of their former NL Central foes- the St. Louis Cardinals...

GM1 HOU at STL: (5-3; St. Louis)
GM2 HOU at STL: (8-2; Houston)
GM3 HOU at STL: (6-2; Houston)

Before I begin... I still tend to miss the Houston Astros as a National League team. I'm not hating ont heir AL successes, though. Anyhow, we managed to take 2 out of 3 from the Cardinals in our Interleague series. The big news of this series was getting back Carlos Correa from his *unusual* inury. Correa REALLY asserted himself in Game 2 when he blasted a Grand Slam to put the Astros up for good. Don't forget about the Little Giant, José Altuve. He hit a jack in Game 3 to collect his 1,500th career hit. I have always respected the St. Louis Cardinals. St. Louis is one of the proudest and most fearful teams in all of Major League Baseball. So I'm proud of my Astros winning this series. We are now 67-39 overall and ahead of 2nd Place Oakland by 8 games in the AL West.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we got a pretty big series coming up after taking tomorrow off. We are staying in the Midwest, but will be entertaining the Cleveland Indians for a three-game series starting on Tuesday. The Indians are 2nd in the AL Central, down by 2 games to AL Central leading Minnesota. We'll see what happens when the Astros go to northeastern Ohio.

Elsewhere (random musings)...

* I can't believe it, but when I checked the Standings prior to preparing this post, I saw the Detroit Tigers now have the worst record in baseball- 30-70 as of the time of this post. Baltimore has the 2nd worst record in baseball at 35-69. I will do a Standings Update in the near future to update on all of the teams. All good for now, though, as Detroit currently leads 2-0 in the Middle of the 7th at Seattle. Detroit currently on a five-game losing streak.

* What about the team with the BEST record in baseball? Well... look out, Los Angeles Dodgers. Believe it or not... my Astros have the 2nd-best record in all of baseball! LAD is currently 69-38 while HOU is 67-39. Both teams have the best records for their respective Leagues. The Dodgers got ripped apart today at the Washington Nationals, losing 11-4. LAD still took the series 2 out of 3, though. LAD's next series is at the Colorado Rockies starting tomorrow.

* The Trade Deadline is this Wednesday. Hopefully your team(s) will pick up some solid players to help your teams' causes.

That's all folks! Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as other winners from today/tonight. We still got the Yankees at the Red Sox later tonight.

Mets have acquired RHP Marcus Stroman from Toronto for prospects Anthony Kay and Simeon Woods Richardson.

Yeah, I heard mostly the Mets and the Astros had interest in Marcus Strowman. I'm sure Strowman will be a great addition to the Mets' pitching rotation.

So not surprisingly all hell broke loose in the Cincy / Pittsburgh game tonight. Too much to mention without reading about it. Of course I wasn't able to watch the game...

Meanwhile, amidst all things, sounds like Puig has been traded and the Reds may be getting Trevor Bauer from the Indians.

So not surprisingly all hell broke loose in the Cincy / Pittsburgh game tonight. Too much to mention without reading about it. Of course I wasn't able to watch the game...

Meanwhile, amidst all things, sounds like Puig has been traded and the Reds may be getting Trevor Bauer from the Indians.
Reds won that trade deal hands down. They get a good pitcher and the Indians get stuck with Puig (even if he's been productive lately, he's still Puig).

Well in true Detroit sports team fashion, the Tigers blow their trade deadline deals. Bless you, boys.

Also, I would not want to face the Astro's starting rotation.

The Trade Deadline has come and gone. As noted by Joey D, the Houston Astros picked up Zack Greinke in a trade from Arizona to Houston. I think we also picked up some players from the Toronto Blue Jays.

Earlier today, I got to see the Pirates and Reds go at it in a scuffle. I finally got to see what that ruckus was about when I was watching ESPN's "Highly Questionable." If I'm not mistaken, I think Yasiel Puig got traded to the Cleveland Indians- whom my Astros are facing in a series right now. Cool for Puig is that he doesn't have to leave the Buckeye State.

Hopefully your favorite team(s) got who you all wanted and that you can finish the season strong. Especially those doing well need to keep doing well so they can make the Playoffs. Or for those completely out of it, basically are playing for pride and building towards next season.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.

Reds won that trade deal hands down. They get a good pitcher and the Indians get stuck with Puig (even if he's been productive lately, he's still Puig).
Cleveland does VERY well on this trade. They get two power hitting OF and a highly rated pitching prospect.
The Trade Deadline has come and gone. As noted by Joey D, the Houston Astros picked up Zack Greinke in a trade from Arizona to Houston. I think we also picked up some players from the Toronto Blue Jays.

Earlier today, I got to see the Pirates and Reds go at it in a scuffle. I finally got to see what that ruckus was about when I was watching ESPN's "Highly Questionable." If I'm not mistaken, I think Yasiel Puig got traded to the Cleveland Indians- whom my Astros are facing in a series right now. Cool for Puig is that he doesn't have to leave the Buckeye State.

Hopefully your favorite team(s) got who you all wanted and that you can finish the season strong. Especially those doing well need to keep doing well so they can make the Playoffs. Or for those completely out of it, basically are playing for pride and building towards next season.

Good luck to all of your favorite teams.
Houston is going to be a massive favorite. Atlanta also greatly improved. Milwaukee, LA Dodgers and NY Yankees were losers at the deadline.

According to Tim Kurkjian on ESPN's "Pardon the Interruption" earlier today, the 2019 World Series could be a rematch of the 2017 World Series (Houston Astros vs. Los Angeles Dodgers). I mean, teams would kill to have the starting rotation of J. Verlander, G. Cole, and now Z. Greinke. I am not going to say this is Murderer's Row pitching-wise. However, this is a very solid, very stacked pitching lineup. Don't forget that the Astros know how to hit the ball aside from their solid pitching. So absolutely the Houston Astros are favorites right now.

There's been a lot of praise of the Houston Astros for going for it and picking up Zach Greinke. Question is... can the Astros put it together and get their second-ever championship with these additions? That remains to be seen.

It's a damn shame the Reds are so far out of it. Despite trading Tanner Roark today, they have a nasty starting rotation with Luis Castillo, Sonny Gray, a healthy Alex Wood, and now Trevor Bauer. All have been, with the exception of Castillo (because he hasn't been around long enough), Cy Young contenders.

On the offensive side, Puig, as mentioned earlier, is gone, as well Scooter and the Reds' top prospect in Taylor Trammell getting traded too. There is a lot of potential still in the outfield despite Puig's absence including Senzel, Winker and Ervin. Infield wise, not much changes. Scooter only played a handful of games because of his injury in Spring Training. Iglesias, Peraza and Dietrich rotated in his absence, and that will be the case once again going forward. Along with that, Farmer and Vanmeter have been hot and can play multiple positions. And of course, you have Votto. If, and I mean IF, that offense could get a little bit more consistent, there would be a very slight shot at contending for a Wild Card.

John, that Astros starting rotation looks sick as well. I would not want to face them.

The month of August is here. With the arrival of August, it is time to start thinking about a certain "P" word- Playoffs (or "Postseason," which also applies). Let's see how each of the teams are doing so far as we close in on the end of the 2019 regular season. Find your favorite team(s) in this Standings Update:

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (68-39), TB (62-48), BOS (59-50), TOR (43-67), BAL (36-71)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (66-41), CLE (63-44), CHW (46-59), KC (40-70), DET (32-72)
AL WEST: Houston (69-40), OAK (61-48), LAA (56-54), TEX (54-54), SEA (47-64)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: Cleveland and Tampa Bay

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE ---
NL EAST: Atlanta (64-45), WAS (57-51), PHI (56-51), NYM (52-55), MIA (41-65)
NL CENTRAL: St. Louis and Chicago Cubs (57-50 each), MIL (57-52), CIN (50-56), PIT (47-61)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (71-39), SF (55-53), ARI (54-55), SD (50-57), COL (50-59)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: St. Louis and Chicago Cubs

Nobody has clinched anything as of the time of this post. That is, unless your favorite team(s) is/are completely out of it with being officially and mathematically eliminated from the postseason. So there's still hope to make the postseason or even enhance your chances of making the postseason. So enjoy the action to come for the month of August 2019!

And of course, I wish all of your favorite MLB teams the best of luck moving forward. So keep playing hard!

The Houston Astros' recent tour of awesomeness landed in Cleveland for a three-game series. Did we rock the house at Progressive Field in Cleveland, Ohio? See for yourself in this series summary:

GM1 HOU at CLE: (2-0; Houston)
GM2 HOU at CLE: (10-4; Cleveland)
GM3 HOU at CLE: (7-1; Houston)

The Houston Astros will leave northeastern Ohio with another series win. Game 1 was a pitching duel won by big bad Justin Verlander. I was wondering if the Houston Astros were too ecstatic in Game 2 about getting Zack Greinke that they forgot they had a baseball game on Wednesday to play. The Astros never trailed in Game 3 as they kept some consistent offense going to their rout of the Cleveland Indians. So we are now 70-40 on the season, still leading the AL West with a -game lead over 2nd Place Oakland by 8 games.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... back home for the inaugural Astros Hall of Fame weekend! We welcome the Seattle Mariners to a three-game series this weekend.

Elsewhere...

* AnthonyD1993 mentioned the 2003 Detroit Tigers. When I looked up Baseball Reference, the 2003 Tigers finished 43-119. The Tigers are 32-72 heading into August. I don't think the 2019 Tigers are going to finish with 43 or less wins.

* I want to shout out to Blitz24's New York Mets- seven straight wins! This is the longest active win streak so far. The Mets knocked off the White Sox 4-0 today on the south side of Chicago. Keep the good times rolling! 👍

* Finally, I learned that big Yordan Alvarez of my Houston Astros was once with the Los Angeles Dodgers, but also he's 6'5". So he's five inches taller than me (I'm 6'0")! Yordan goes 6'5" while José Altuve goes about 5'5". Both can play.

* Penalties were doled out with the brawl between the Pirates at the Reds. To find out who all got suspended and for how many games, here is an article on Yahoo! Sports: https://sports.yahoo.com/yasiel-pui...uspended-in-pirates-reds-brawl-192946028.html .

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won on Thursday.

It's Hall of Fame weekend for the Houston Astros Baseball Club this weekend. Lots of Astros legends will be immortalized this weekend. Oh... and some team called the Seattle Mariners wanted to try to spoil our Hall of Fame fun this weekend. Here is a summary of what happened when the Emerald City met the boys of America's Space City...

GM1 SEA at HOU (10-2; Houston)
GM2 SEA at HOU (9-0; Houston)
GM3 SEA at HOU (3-1; Houston)

Get the brooms out! The Houston Astros swept the AL West last-place Seattle Mariners. I did not follow Game 1 at all. Game 2 was a combined no-hitter with four pitchers. This effort was the 12th No-Hitter in Astros' history. It would have been better if the Astros didn't have that single Error. We had Astros inducted into our team's Hall of Fame the likes of Craig Biggio, Nolan Ryan, Joe Morgan, Jose Cruz, J.R. Richard, the late Astros' radio announcer Milo Hamilton, all among many others (about 12 or 14 inducted). Game 3 was a lot more tame scoring-wise with Justin Verlander on the mound. The time I first checked into this game, Verlander gave up a solo homer as I heard the game on Astros radio. Justin Verlander reached a milestone by having his ninth season of 200+ strikeouts with the win earlier today against Seattle. It was still a great Hall of Fame weekend for the Astros.

We are now 72-40 on the season, leading the AL West by 8.5 over the Oakland Athletics. The Astros currently have the best record in the American League as of the time of this post. If the Yankees lose tonight to Boston, both the Astros and Yanks will have the same number of losses, but we will have one more win over the Yankees. The Los Angeles Dodgers still have the best record in baseball at 73-40 as of the time of this post (currently trailing 5-3 hosting San Diego after 3 innings).

Up next for the Houston Astros... we will have a quick two-game Interleague series hosting the Colorado Rockies. The series begins Tuesday night after taking Monday off.

Congratulations to all other series winners and those who won today/tonight. Among the winners... an extra innings win for the Cincinnati Reds at the Atlanta Braves, and the New York Mets smashing the Pittsburgh Pirates at Pittsburgh.

[UPDATE] Forgot to mention the COL at HOU series starts on Tuesday night after taking Monday off.

Last edited:
Another series by the Houston Astros concluded. Here's how my boys did in their latest series:

GM1 COL at HOU: (11-6; Houston)
GM2 COL at HOU: (14-3; Houston)

It was only a two-game Interleague series. In the old days, this would be just another NL game with the Colorado Rockies and the Houston Astros. Today, this is Interleague play. The Rockies wouldn't go away in Game 1 as they matched our offense pace-for-pace. The Astros eventually pulled away and got the win over the boys from Denver in Game 1. Oh, and by the way... Game 1 was the team debut for Zack Greinke. Yuli Gurriel was baller in the second game, tying the Astros' franchise record for most RBI's in a game. Yuli banged in 8 RBIs in Game 2. The Astros led 10-2 when I first followed the game. At that time, it was only the Bottom of the 6th. The Astros had a perfect home stand at 5-0. Because of this, we are now 75-40 on the season with the AL West lead. Now, our lead is at 10 games (at present) over second-place AL West's Oakland.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we're off on Thursday before embarking on a 10-game, three-city road trip. Our trip begins with three games at the Baltimore Orioles starting on Friday. Then, it's three games on the South Side of Chicago against the White Sox this coming Monday. Finally, the trip ends with a four-game set at the Oakland Athletics. But first things first- three at the O's starting on Friday.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who also won on this Wednesday. That includes games up to and beyond the time of this post.

Back