Major League Baseball: 2019 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 319 comments
Mets have somehow won 13 of their last 14 games, and are 18-5 since the All-Star break.

Since July 22nd, the Reds have won their series against the Brew Crew, Rockies, and Buccos, split the 4 game series against the Tribe, and swept their 2 game set against the Angels. Not too shabby. The hitting has been timely for the most part and the starting pitching has been stellar.

The next test is 4 against the Cubbies, followed by a 3 game set in Washington and another 4 games at home against the Cards. They've clawed their way to being only 4 games under .500 (yes, that's good considering the way the season started) at 54-58. A .500 record is definitely doable. And only 4.5 games back of the wildcard.

I still laugh when I look at their run differential, which is +37. According to the standings on mlb.com, their expected win-loss record would be 60-52. It hasn't been so much the 1-run losses lately; that has improved dramatically. But their problem is day games, especially Sunday. While they are 38-28 at night, tops in the NL Central, they have a resounding 16-30 record while playing out in the sun. :lol:

The Houston Astros are going to extend the netting around their ballpark to prevent an incident from earlier this season where a child was hit by a foul ball from the Cubs at Astros series earlier this season. I am hearing the netting will be complete by the time the Astros return home after this road trip. So we are one of the latest teams to extend the netting around other parts of the stadium to avoid uncertain foul balls that hit fans.

Speaking of this road trip, the Houston Astros won 3-2 earlier tonight at the Baltimore Orioles. The full series summary will be posted when this three-game weekend set concludes.

Mets win 2 out of 3 vs the Nationals as they drop the final game of the series.

The Houston Astros have themselves a little tour of awesomeness going with 10 games in three cities. It's going to be a while until the Astros have a day off. Endurance will have to be key for the Astros at this point. It is the longest road trip of the season; and after this trip ends, many of their remaining games will all be at home. Anyhow, the Astros' first stop was in Baltimore to meet the Baltimore Orioles. That's right- 'Stros n' O's. All a brother knows. So here's the summary of this series:

GM1 HOU at BAL: (3-2; Houston)
GM2 HOU at BAL: (23-2; Houston)
GM3 HOU at BAL: (8-7; Baltimore)

So close. The Houston Astros' 8-game winning streak snapped on Sunday thanks to a walk-off homer by Baltimore. Game 1 of this series was a defensive struggle. There was solid pitching on both sides to make sure the game didn't get into a scoring war. Game 2, however, was demolition. We have a LOT to talk about this game. The Houston Astros set a new franchise record for most runs scored in a game by hanging 23 on the O's. Part of that 23 began in the first inning as the Astros hit back-to-back jacks starting with a two-run homer by Alex Bregman followed by a solo homer by Yordan Alvarez. Yordan Alvarez accounted for most of the 23 runs, who banged three jacks in this game, including a Grand Slam to put the Astros up 20-1 at the time. Not to be outdone was one home run by Carlos Correa, who hit the longest ever home run ever at Camden Yards at 477 feet. Camden Yards opened in 1992. The Orioles led most of Game 3 until the Astros took a 7-5 lead in the Top of the 9th. The hope for Houston, though, was dashed when the Orioles hit a sacrifice fly followed by a walk-off two-run homer. Well, that's baseball. Can't win 'em all. So now the Astros are 77-41 leaving Baltimore and have both the AL West lead (10.5 games over OAK) and a tie for the best record in the American League.

Up next for the Houston Astros... from AL East to AL Central- the Houston Astros will entertain the Chicago White Sox on the south side of Chicago for a three-game set starting on Monday.

Elsewhere...

* On the night where Yordan Alvarez banged three homers, I want to pay some respect to Aristides Aquino of Dolph Drago's Cincinnati Reds, who also banged three home runs. Those three homers came in his first three at-bats. The Reds hosted the Chicago Cubs in a three-game NL Central series. The Redlegs whacked the Cubbies 10-1 on Saturday night.

* Here is an interesting note regarding Aristides Aquino and Yordan Alvarez... this is the first time in MLB history that two rookie players hit three home runs in the same respective games. Coincidentally, both wear no. 44.

* The New York Mets continue their baller run by winning their eighth straight. Blitz24's Mets are doing work for sure. I'd be more surprised if they somehow end up winning the NL East more than I would be if they won an NL Wild Card berth. The winning ways of the Mets failed on Sunday with the Nationals winning 7-4 at the Mets. The Metropolitans, like the Astros, had an 8-game winning streak going until it was snapped.

* I want to recognize Mike Trout of the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for banging his first home run at Fenway Park last night. Trout has now hit a home run in every American League ballpark. LAA ended up beating the Red Sox 12-4 on Saturday night.

* I bet the Detroit Tigers felt like they [really] hit rock bottom, having split their recent series with the Kansas City Royals in Detroit. After dropping Games 3 and 4, the Tigers still have the worst record in baseball- now at 35-80. Their next series starts on Tuesday against the Seattle Mariners in MoTown.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won today/tonight.

* Here is an interesting note regarding Aristides Aquino and Yordan Alvarez... this is the first time in MLB history that two rookie players hit three home runs in the same respective games. Coincidentally, both wear no. 44.
I was in such awe at watching Aquino do his thing this past week, I had no idea another rookie was doing the same thing. :lol:

In fact, Aquino set or tied a few records last night. The most notable were:
2nd player in MLB history to hit 7 home runs in his first 10 games, tying Trevor Story.
1st rookie in MLB history to hit a home run in 3 consecutive innings.

And you know who else wore #44 in his career with Cincinnati? One Adam Dunn. The Big Donkey only hit between 38 and 46 home runs and drove in 92 to 106 runs in 7 straight seasons (though the end of that streak he was playing for the Nationals).

44 games left and the Indians have caught up and probably will pass the Twins.

Injuries and the curse of Minnesota has happened.

My Houston Astros were supposed to play at the Chicago White Sox tonight, but the game got rained out. There will be a doubleheader tomorrow on the south side of Chicago.

So this gives me a chance to talk about a few other things. Musings with JohnBM01 coming up!

* The New York Yankees became the first-ever MLB team to hit four or more home runs in four straight games against the same opponent. Yanks went yard several times in a doubleheader today hosting the Baltimore Orioles. Poor O's. Too bad my Astros couldn't sweep the O's in Baltimore, but the Yanks surely asserted themselves well in this doubleheader. It was 8-5, Yankees in Game 1; then it was 11-8, Yankees in Game 2.

* The Cincinnati Reds came up short in Washington, D.C. at the Washington Nationals. Stop me if you heard/read this before- one-run game. Nats won 7-6 over the Reds. Winning this one was Erick Fedde and a Save from Sean Doolittle. The Redlegs' loser was Anthony DeSclafani.

• Another Canada vs. America incident. It was Canada's team winning this one big- 19-4 over the Texas Rangers. Brock Stewart picked up the win for the Blue Jays. The loser for the Rangers was Ariel Jurado.

* The 2020 Major League Baseball schedule was released today. The 2020 regular season will start March 26 with all 30 teams playing on the same day. The New York Mets and the Miami Marlins will play a series in Puerto Rico starting April 28-30 of 2020. The Little League Classic will be played between the Boston Red Sox and the Baltimore Orioles. Plenty more about the 2020 season can be read through MLB Communications on Twitter.

* Before I leave, here is a Fun Fact. Did you know the Houston Astros are currently the ONLY team this season to not issue an Intentional Walk?

That's all from me! Congratulations to all winners of games today and tonight.

Sauf syde! The Astros' road trip continues from Baltimore to the south side of Chicago to meet the White Sox. Here's how this three-game set went:

GM1 HOU at CHW (6-2; Houston)
GM2 HOU at CHW (4-1; Chicago White Sox)
GM3 HOU at CHW (13-9; Chicago White Sox)

Time to play baseball at the ballpark nowadays known as Guaranteed Rate Field. Game 1 had to wait until Tuesday as this game was rained out for Monday night. So we had a doubleheader to start this series. Very first pitch of Game 1, George Springer bangs a homer (a "Springer Dinger") to go up 1-0 early. The Astros ended up winning Game 1. Some light rain showers impeded the progress between Game 1 and Game 2 of the doubleheader. A weird moment happened as Gerrit Cole was supposed to start Game 2, but an apparent hamstring injury put him on the sidelines before starting Game 2. As a result, we let Chris Devenski ("Devo," as we call him) to pitch Game 2. The Astros cooled off substantially for Game 2 as they failed. Game 3 was the Astros trying to make a rally to come back to tie. Then a Grand Slam by Chris McCann of CHW happened in the 8th inning to send the Astros to the next city of their road trip with back-to-back losses. After a 🤬 performance in Game 3, the Astros lose this series at the White Sox. So our record after screwing this one up is now 78-42. We still lead the AL West by 10.5 games over 2nd Place Oakland. CHW improves to 53-65, 3rd Place in the AL Central behind 1st Place Minnesota and 2nd Place Cleveland.

Up next for the Houston Astros... the final stop of our road trip is important- a four-game series at the Oakland Athletics starting on Thursday. This can totally affect the AL West depending on who wins this series or if this series ends up a split.

Congratulations to all other series winners as well as others who won on Wednesday.

This latest rock tour for the Houston Astros ends in Oakland. The Oakland Athletics hosted the Astros in a critical four-game series. This series summary describes what happened:

GM1 HOU at OAK: (7-6; Oakland)
GM2 HOU at OAK: (3-2, 13 innings; Oakland)
GM3 HOU at OAK: (8-4; Oakland)
GM4 HOU at OAK: (4-1; Houston)

We were going to keep the AL West lead no matter what happened in this series, but losing this series to Oakland doesn't help the Astros' chances of keeping their AL West lead. Game 1 was mostly a pitching duel until both teams were trading Home Runs. Game 2 was a walk-off win for the A's in 13 innings. Game 3 was just an atrocity for the Astros. The sweep was denied in Game 4 thanks to a three-run jack by Alex Bregman as the Astros were down 1-0. It seemed like the Athletics had an answer for each inning we scored. This was a woeful road trip for the Houston Astros, and our record after losing back-to-back series is now 79-46. We still have a 7.5 games lead over the Oakland Athletics for the AL West.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... coming back home! Who will await us back in Houston starting on Monday night? The Detroit Tigers in a four-game series. We will host three different teams coming up, one team each division of the American League.

Congratulations to all winners of recent series as well as those who won today/tonight.

Back home for the Houston Astros after a mixed results road trip, and we welcomed the Detroit Tigers for a four-game series starting on this past Monday. Yep- MoTown meets H-Town. Here's a summary of this series:

GM1 DET at HOU (5-4; Houston)
GM2 DET at HOU (6-3; Houston)
GM3 DET at HOU (2-1; Detroit)
GM4 DET at HOU (6-3; Houston)

This four-game set went in favor of the Houston Astros. The Detroit Tigers may have the worst record in baseball, but they didn't play like a last-place team all series long. This was surely evident in Game 1 as the Tigers just wouldn't go away. They remained pace-for-pace to keep things close. Back-to-back jacks by the Houston Astros set the tone in Game 2 in the bottom of the 1st inning after the Tigers hit a solo homer in the top of 1st inning. The most deflating game of this four-game set is hands-down Game 3. Justin Verlander had a complete game against his former team that was tied at 1 heading into the ninth inning, but the Tigers belted a solo jack that went unanswered to lift Detroit over Houston that night. Not even the fun moment of two-time WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair and Josh Reddick doing first pitch ceremonies was enough to complete an interesting night. WHOOO! Game 4 offered when the Astros finally did put up the first damage for once thanks to a 2-run homer to go up 2-0. Four more unanswered runs were scored by HOU until DET finally put up a trio of runs later in the game. All in all, I just wish we had back Game 3. As my man AnthonyD1993 would say... "Tigers be Tigering." Tough Tiger times...

Otherwise, we're now 81-47 on the season, leading the AL West by 7 games over Oakland.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we will host the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim for a three-game weekend series starting tomorrow night.

Elsewhere...

* I heard the 2019 Baltimore Orioles have given up the most home runs in a single season in MLB history. As of the time of this post, the O's gave up 259 home runs now. Yahoo! Sports is saying that the O's are on pace to give up 329 homers before this season ends.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won today/tonight.

Hey, let's throw and smack the baseball around a ballpark. We got another series! This weekend is Players Weekend. The players of Major League Baseball will be wearing their nicknames on the backs of their jerseys. Here is my summary of when the Houston Astros hosted the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim:

GM1 LAA at HOU: (5-4; Houston)
GM2 LAA at HOU: (5-2; Houston)
GM3 LAA at HOU: (11-2; Houston)

Sweeping a division foe is always gratifying- unless YOU are the team getting swept, of course. So I'm obviously pleased we won each game with authority and absolution. The Astros were kind of sleepwalking for most of Game 1 until they got it together and took down the Angels. The Halos suffered a bit more on Saturday night for Game 2. Then in Game 3, the Astros just went Beast Mode and further downed the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. A big 8th inning saw the Astros hang seven runs on the Angels to pull away for good. With this sweep, we are now 85-47 on the season. Another winning season regardless of our final record. Our AL West lead is now 9 games over Oakland.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we [finally] take a day off after 16 games in 16 days tomorrow. But when the day off concludes, we're hosting the Tampa Bay Rays for three games to conclude this home stand starting on Tuesday.

I hope your favorite team(s) did good today/tonight and in all the series this weekend. Congratulations to all other winners.

Sweeping a division foe is always gratifying- unless YOU are the team getting swept, of course.
Which is what happened to the Reds against the lowly Pirates. :grumpy: In game 1, the Reds (Iglesias) blew a 2-1 lead in the 9th to lose 3-2. Then came the 14-0 clobbering in game 2, followed by another 1-run loss, 9-8, in the series finale.

The season is over. Here's to hoping for a better next year. Despite their record, at least this team has looked miles better than the past 4 seasons.

Edit: Not sure why I put Chapman as blowing it. My mind must be trying to go back to better days from years past. :lol:

Last edited:
Spare some thoughts in loving memory of Vince Naimoli. He died recently at the age of 81. V. Naimoli was the original CEO and owner of the Tampa Bay MLB team back in 1998, then known as the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. I surely offer my condolences to the Naimoli family. The Rays will take on my Astros here in Houston starting tomorrow. So I'm sure the Rays will be playing with heavy hearts.

My Astros aren't playing tonight, so congratulations to everyone who won today and tonight.

The Houston Astros ended their 10-game home stand by hosting the Tampa Bay Rays. The Rays are very much a Wild Card contender, so the Houston Astros shouldn't take them lightly. Or did they? Summary of this series:

GM1 TB at HOU: (15-1; Houston)
GM2 TB at HOU: (8-6; Houston)
GM3 TB at HOU: (9-8; Tampa Bay)

The Houston Astros won this series, but not in a sweep. Game 1 was just Astros demolition of the Rays. There was a pathetic moment where Justin Verlander got unnecessarily ejected for some sort of reaction he gave while the Astros were up 9-0 at that point. Game 2 was played pretty close with the Astros getting the win regardless. Tampa Bay made sure to leave Houston with their heads up high with their Game 3 performance. A cool story from Game 3 was Astros Minor Leaguer Abraham Toro knocking in his first home run in the Majors. It all ended up being a series win for the Houston Astros, but I think we lost the season series with Tampa Bay. The Tampa Bay Rays are not a sorry team, so I'm proud of my Astros for their play all series long. The 2019 Houston Astros are now 87-47 on the season after today's game and still lead the AL West. We now have a 9.5 game lead in the AL West over Oakland.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we're on the road again! Two countries! Two cities! The Astros will spend the weekend in Toronto for a three-game set at the 54-81 Blue Jays starting tomorrow night.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as others who won on Thursday. Hopefully your favorite team(s) is/are among the winners.

Heading into Labor Day weekend, I decided to discuss how the standings are going. Find your favorite team(s) in this latest Standings Update:

--- AMERICAN LEAGUE ---
AL EAST: New York Yankees (88-47), TB (77-58), BOS (72-62), TOR (54-81), BAL (44-89)
AL CENTRAL: Minnesota (82-51), CLE (79-55), CHW (60-73), KC (47-88), DET (39-92)
AL WEST: Houston (87-48), OAK (77-56), TEX (65-70), LAA (64-71), SEA (57-78)
CURRENT AL WILD CARD: Cleveland and Oakland

--- NATIONAL LEAGUE ---
NL EAST: Atlanta (81-54), WAS (74-58), PHI (69-63), NYM (67-66), MIA (48-85)
NL CENTRAL: St. Louis (73-59), CHC (72-61), MIL (68-65), CIN (63-70), PIT (57-77)
NL WEST: Los Angeles Dodgers (88-48), ARI (68-66), SF (65-68), SD (62-71), COL (59-76)
CURRENT NL WILD CARD: Washington and Chicago Cubs

As you can see, nobody has clinched anything as of yet. So if you have your qualms that your team is mathematically eliminated, don't have any as of yet. There is still plenty of season left to fill out the 2019 postseason. Now unless you're too far down the order, THEN maybe it is time to fear your team(s) will not make it. Everything else is still up for grabs. As we head into September, then is when we will be introducing terms like "magic number" and things like that.

Before I close this post, I'd like to acknowledge Aristides Aquino of the Cincinnati Reds on setting the NL record for most home runs hit in any single month. Aquino banged 14 homers so far this month. Maybe the Reds have their star of the future. Much like Yordan Alvarez is a star of the future for my Astros and on the AL side, maybe Aquino is the man on the NL side. Unfortunately for the Reds, this would have been sweeter if the Reds didn't lose at Miami in extra innings last night. The Reds failed 4-3 in 12 innings at Miami last night.

Other than that, I hope all of your favorite teams are doing well. Have a great Labor Day weekend!

Before I close this post, I'd like to acknowledge Aristides Aquino of the Cincinnati Reds on setting the NL record for most home runs hit in any single month. Aquino banged 14 homers so far this month. Maybe the Reds have their star of the future. Much like Yordan Alvarez is a star of the future for my Astros and on the AL side, maybe Aquino is the man on the NL side. Unfortunately for the Reds, this would have been sweeter if the Reds didn't lose at Miami in extra innings last night. The Reds failed 4-3 in 12 innings at Miami last night.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the inevitable. He'll come back down to earth soon enough. I'm surprised he's been able to keep up his production for this long. Fun to watch, though.

The Twins lost, but so did Cleveland so it's not the end of the world. However on a positive note, the Twins broke the team HR record set by the Yankees last year, so we finally have something we can hang over their heads! :dopey:

Iglesias blew game 1 against the Pirates last week to lose 3-2. Iglesias blew game 2 tonight (today was a scheduled doubleheader, and after yesterday's rainout, there's another doubleheader tomorrow) against the Cardinals to lose 3-2. Our amazing closer now has an over 4 ERA and 11 (ELEVEN!) losses on the season.

Reds also lost game 1, BTW, by a score of 10-6. Awesome...

The Houston Astros had to leave the United States and go to Canada for our next series. So let's see how this American team fared against Canada's team- the Toronto Blue Jays. Summary to follow:

GM1 HOU at TOR: (7-4; Houston)
GM2 HOU at TOR: (6-4; Toronto)
GM3 HOU at TOR: (2-0; Houston) *** NO HITTER! ***

After losing Game 3 of their previous series vs. Tampa Bay, the Houston Astros went up to Toronto and took down the Blue Jays in Game 1. The key play was a three-run bomb by George Springer to go up 4-1 at that time. The Blue Jays, then, returned the favor the following Saturday afternoon in Game 2. Then game Game 3. I did not see or follow this game at all, but I was hearing about a no-hitter in the game. All to find out... it was Justin Verlander no-hitting the Toronto Blue Jays in a 2-0 victory. Canadian Abraham Toro banged a two-run jack to put the Astros ahead for good in the Top of the 9th with two outs in Game 3 of this series. Justin Verlander has his 3rd ever no hitter. He's one of few pitchers to no-hit the same team (last time in 2011 with Detroit), and he's also the first MLB pitcher to throw multiple no-hitters at the same opposing ballpark. So now the Houston Astros are 89-49 on the season, leading the AL West with a 10-game lead on the Oakland Athletics. Unfortunately, we don't have the best record in baseball; that honor goes to th now 90-48 New York Yankees. The battle for the best record in baseball in 2019 comes down to Houston, the New York Yankees, and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Up next for the Houston Astros... we're coming back to the United States to have a quick two-game Interleague series at the Milwaukee Brewers. This is not going to be easy- Milwaukee's got some talent. 'Stros and Brew Crew coming up starting tomorrow afternoon.

Congratulations to all recent series winners as well as those who won on Sunday. Hopefully your team(s) is/are among the winners.

The Houston Astros played their final Interleague series of 2019 when we had a little NL Central family reunion. This reunion happened in Milwaukee. Houston used to be a National League team before becoming an American League team. Milwaukee used to be an American League team before they became a National League team. So let's do a little two-game series! Here's what happened:

GM1 HOU at MIL: (3-2, 10 innings; Houston)
GM2 HOU at MIL: (4-2; Milwaukee)

Milwaukee is not a sorry team at all, so I wasn't expecting the Astros to just go into Milwaukee and slap around the Brewers. Roberto Osuna nearly blown Game 1 trying to close out. All sins forgiven, though, as George Springer put up a go-ahead solo homer that the Brewers couldn't answer. The Brew Crew did plenty damage in Game 2 to the Astros thanks to a three-run jack to go up 4-1. All we could muster up since was one more run (we did lead 1-0 earlier). I didn't see the incident, but George Springer had to get carted off the ballpark after apparently hitting his head trying to catch a ball or something. The Brewers and Astros settle for a split of this quick two-game set. Milwaukee has to get ready to host the Chicago Cubs in a crucial series next. The Houston Astros will leave Milwaukee with a 90-50 record, leading the AL West by 10 games over 2nd Place Oakland.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we take a rare Wednesday off and get ready for back-to-back four game series back in Houston. Coming on down to H-Town for a four-game weekend series is the Seattle Mariners. The next series after that will be a critical four-game set hosting the Oakland Athletics.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and all others who won on Tuesday.

[UPDATE/OMISSION] Forgot to mention details of Game 1 of the series.

Pitcher Michael Pineda of the Minnesota Twins got hit with a 60-game suspension for testing positive for performance enhancing drugs. The 2019 Minnesota Twins are currently 87-54 on the season, leading the AL Central over 2nd Place Cleveland (82-60) by 5.5 games.

The Cubs' Javier Baez has a hairline fracture in his thumb and is out indefinitely. I hope for the best for Javy Baez. The Cubbies are currently 76-64, 2nd in the NL Central and down 2.5 games behind the NL Central leading St. Louis Cardinals (79-62). The NL Central is the closest competition-wise, as the last-place NL Central Pittsburgh Pirates are 17 games behind St. Louis. Every other division is at least separated by 30 or more games from the leader to the last place team. So the NL Central is razor-thin.

I'll have my series summary of Seattle at Houston when that series concludes. The summary for now... the Astros overcame a 7-0 deficit to win in Extra Innings on Thursday, and then a more complete effort in the game on Friday night on a night to raise money for charity.

I hope your team(s) is/are doing well!

Back-to-back four game series make up the Houston Astros' latest home stand, and both against AL West foes. This first four-game series was against the Seattle Mariners. Here is how this weekend series wrapped up:

GM1 SEA at HOU (11-9, 13 innings; Houston)
GM2 SEA at HOU (7-4; Houston)
GM3 SEA at HOU (2-1; Houston)
GM4 SEA at HOU (21-1; Houston)

Game 1 was ugly from the start. We were down 7-0 at the Middle of the 2nd Inning after Seattle hung five runs on the Astros early on in the 1st inning. It was a little-by-little comeback effort all game long even as Seattle put on a few more runs. The Astros tied things up at 8 and had to go to Extra Innings. We didn't lead at any point of the game despite tying a number of times. Game 1 ended in 13 innings thanks to walk-off two-run jack by Michael Brantley ("Uncle Mike," as we call him). Game 2 was the Charity Game for the Houston Astros benefiting the Houston Astros Foundation. Seattle jumped to a 2-0 lead early, but it was all or mostly Astros since in Game 2. Offense was limited substantially for Game 3 with Justin Verlander dealing to the Mariners on Saturday. The Astros defeated the Mariners in Game 3 for the 15th time- tied for the most wins against a single opponent in a season. I did not follow Game 4 at all. I basically got tired, took a nap, and found out the Astros beat the Mariners 21-1. Only the Astros' 23-2 clobber job at Baltimore was worse. The sweep of the M's meant the Astros now improve to 94-50 on the season. We still lead the AL West and by over Oakland. If the New York Yankees lose tonight at the Red Sox, we will have the best record in baseball (NYY is 93-50 heading into tonight); the Los Angeles Dodgers have the best record in the NL at 92-52 as of the time of this post.

Up next for the Houston Astros... those aforementioned Athletics come down to H-Town for a four-game series starting on Monday night. The Astros need to win this series to further help their postseason cause. The A's have also shown to be resilient, matching the Astros pace-for-pace. CRITICAL series coming up.

I hope your favorite team(s) is/are doing well. Congratulations to all other winners of recent series as well as those who won today.

We have our first "IN!" team! The Los Angeles Dodgers clinched the NL West for the seventh successive season. LAD is projected as the favorites to make the 2019 World Series on the NL side. So all congratulations to the Dodgers.

Now that we have a team officially in the playoffs, here is the very early postseason list as of the time of this post:

--- Who's IN! American League ---
...AL East Champion...
...AL Central Champion...
...AL West Champion...
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

--- Who's IN! National League ---
...NL East Champion...
...NL Central Champion...
Los Angeles Dodgers (NL West Champions)
...NL Wild Card 1...
...NL Wild Card 2...

More of these slots will be filled out throughout this month. So unless your team hasn't yet been officially or mathematically eliminated, keep battling for a playoff spot! Or simply battle to sweeten the offer (such as Home Field Advantage)

Meanwhile in Houston, I'll have the summary of the OAK at HOU series, which so far is tied 1-1 with beat down victories on both sides when it concludes on Thursday.

Two straight four-game series for the Houston Astros at home concluded with this series against Oakland. My summary of this critical four-game set is here:

GM1 OAK at HOU (15-0; Houston)
GM2 OAK at HOU (21-7; Oakland)
GM3 OAK at HOU (5-3; Oakland)
GM4 OAK at HOU (3-2; Oakland)

Apparently, we set a new MLB record in Game 1 by banging six homers within the first two innings. Don't even get me started with Game 2. Wade Miley was on the mound dealing to Oakland and had just about the same story- about 6 or 7 runs by the opposing team after one inning. After that, we got wrecked in Game 2. Football score after Game 2. If this was football, this would be the Oakland Raiders beating the Houston Texans. One good thing about Game 2 was that the Houston Astros set a new single-season record for most home runs in a season, when they hit 252 total after Game 2. Their previous record for homers in a season was 249 back in 2000. The offense on both sides cooled off in Game 3, but it was still the green and gold guys winning. Even fewer runs in Game 4 as the Astros failed to try to get a walk-off win. This is NOT what the Astros need with the Yankees even winning in that Home Field Advantage race. Astros are failing at the wrong time. The gap in the AL West is closing as the Astros are now 95-53, yet still leading the AL West by (I think) 8.5 games over Oakland. Astros have now lost three straight games.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... a three-game series on a quick road trip to the Kansas City Royals await us. The season is winding down, and the Astros really need to get it together and QUICK.

Congratulations to all other winners of recent series and those who won on Thursday. That includes the aforementioned Yankees winning their doubleheader at the Detroit Tigers.

At least early implications seem to show that the Tigers are going to extend Gardenhire's contract. Nice to see that they are planning on making a smart move for once.

Building for the future, methinks? Maybe the Detroit Tigers can look for some extra help in getting some extra hitters or pitchers. Anything to turn around the Tigers after a woeful 2019 season will be a boon for them.

Meanwhile, I'm following the Houston Astros while also looking at the Oakland Athletics and the New York Yankees. I think the A's are lined up greatly to get an AL Wild Card berth unless they somehow come from behind to win the AL West. I am also following the Yankees since we're in a race against the Yanks for the best record in the AL (and in baseball). Home advantage is on the line between HOU and NYY. So for us Astros, we need the Yanks to lose a bunch of games while the Astros try to keep winning theirs. I think the Yanks lost yesterday night in Extra Innings at Toronto. The Astros, meanwhile, won at Kansas City last night 4-1 thanks to a go-ahead three-run jack by George Springer in the Top of the 9th.

The NL Central is currently lead by the St. Louis Cardinals. However, this could be a close race if the Brewers and Cubs try to keep things close. I think this race could down to the final weekend of the season. That is... unless the Cardinals just shut the door on any hope of Milwaukee or the Chicago Cubs trying to make a race out of it in the NL Central.

We're coming down to some exceptional finishes as the 2019 regular season nears its end. So enjoy the baseball action to the max!

The penultimate road series for the Houston Astros this regular season has them in Kansas City, MO for a three-game set. How did this quick series go? Find out here:

GM1 HOU at KC (4-1; Houston)
GM2 HOU at KC (6-2; Houston)
GM3 HOU at KC (12-3; Houston)

The Houston Astros went up to Kansas City, Missouri and dethroned the Royals in a sweep. Game 1 was a pitching duel. José Altuve banged a homer in the first inning, and there was no further scoring until an unearned run by Royals tied things at 1 in about the 8th inning. The hero in this one was George Springer, as he belted a "Springer Dinger" in the Top of the 9th. His go-ahead three-run jack put the Astros up for good and preserved a win for Gerrit Cole (G. Cole would get a No Decision if the Astros didn't score in the Top of the 9th). Yordan Alvarez was the home run hero in Game 2 for the Houston Astros. Game 2 saw Zack Greinke deal to KC. Game 3 was just the Astros putting it on the Royals early and often. Despite the fact Wade Miley was the pitcher for HOU in Game 3, he fared much better than when he allowed at least 6 runs with few outs in his past two starts. W. Miley went much further in this game than in his previous two starts. All smiles for the Houston Astros as the sweep was complete.

We are now 98-53 on the 2019 season and leading the AL West by 7.5 games over Oakland. Our Magic Number to clinch the AL West for the third straight season is (I believe) 5. Oakland and the New York Yankees aren't doing the Astros too many favors on (respectively) winning the AL West and home advantage in the postseason.

Up next for the Houston Astros Baseball Club... we will have our final home stand of the regular season when the Texas Rangers, whom I thought we were done with, come down to Houston for a quick two-game series starting on Tuesday.

Elsewhere...

* I want to wish LAA's Mike Trout a speedy recovery. He is out for the rest of the season with a right foot injury. He's in the running for AL MVP honors.

* When I was watching Game 2 of HOU at KC, I didn't realize the Atlanta Braves had 92 wins on the season so far. Almost like people forgot about Atlanta even though the Los Angeles Dodgers have the best record in the National League.

* Congratulations to the Chicago Cubs on breaking their own franchise home run record.

Let's update the Playoff list, because another team clinched a Postseason berth. Who? Find out:

...AL East Champion...
...AL West Champion...
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

Atlanta (currently leads NL East, hasn't yet clinched NL East)
...NL Wild Card 1...
...NL Wild Card 2...

You will be hearing terms like "Magic Number" a lot more now as the season winds down.

And also, congratulations to all recent series winners and those who won on Sunday.

One last time between Major League Baseball's two Texas franchises this regular season- it's the Battle for the Silver Boot series! Here's what happened between the Texas Rangers at the Houston Astros:

GM1 TEX at HOU (4-1; Houston)
GM2 TEX at HOU (3-2; Houston)

Not even the formation of [what would become] Tropical Depression Imelda would hamper the spirits of the Houston Astros in this brief two-game series. The Texas Rangers were downed in H-Town for this brief series. Game 1 saw back-to-back jacks by Alex Bregman and Yordan Alvarez to lift the Astros over the Rangers. Justin Verlander was the starting pitcher for the Astros in Game 1. Game 2 saw Gerrit Cole take the mound. A key moment of Game 2 was G. Cole racking up his 300th strikeout for the Astros. He's the third different Astros pitcher to record 300 strikeouts in a season besides J.R. Richard (who did it twice for HOU) and Mike Scott. Also, we notched 100+ wins and became the first team to 100 wins this season. Remember- the Astros had a stretch of LOSING 100+ games in three straight seasons. Now, we've WON 100+ games in three straight seasons.

The 2019 Houston Astros are now 100-53 on the 2019 MLB Season and are now IN! the Playoffs. The Magic Number, though, is still 2 for the Astros to clinch the AL West. We still hold a 7.5 lead over the Oakland Athletics in the AL West. Best record in baseball goes to the Astros as the Yankees failed earlier today. The race to maintain the best record in baseball will be fierce between HOU vs. NYY vs. LAD.

Up next for the Houston Astros... our final home series of the 2019 regular season is coming up starting on Friday night against the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim- a three-game set.

So let's update that "Who's IN!" list...

...AL East Champion...
Houston (currently leads AL West, hasn't yet clinched AL West)
...AL Wild Card 1...
...AL Wild Card 2...

Atlanta (currently leads NL East, hasn't yet clinched NL East)
...NL Wild Card 1...
...NL Wild Card 2...

Congratulations to all other winners of recent series and those who won today/tonight. That includes the San Francisco Giants hammering the Boston Red Sox in Boston.

Back