Major League Baseball: 2020 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 179 comments
Basically, BKGlover, that's why I sort of think the Houston Astros feel like they have to win it all this season [without cheating] to be validated and vindicated. And if not in 2020, then some season SOON. It also may seem like the Astros may have to shoulder having a villain mentality. If you follow professional wrestling, you know there are "faces" and "heels." The heels are the ones who everyone hate and play dirty. The Astros will feel like they are heels in this case.

What still remains the biggest flaw of all of this was Jim Crane's comments from Thursday. And have any of you heard what LAD's Cody Bellinger said about José Altuve? Man! C. Bellinger fired some real live rounds on Altuve with his comments. It's basically Open Season on the Houston Astros right now. Oh, and let's not forget- the Astros play their first Spring Training game against the team they lost to in the 2019 World Series- the Washington Nationals. The Astros and Nationals share the same Spring Training facility.

Yep... the Houston Astros have storm clouds over them, and they may as well be having monsoon rain from those clouds. A lot of work will be needed for sunny skies and dry land to return over this ball club.

Honestly, the worst part of this whole Astros thing is that it brought out the insufferable portion of the MLB fan-base. Some people really take sports way too seriously.

Eventually they'll be ignored back to their lairs. It'll just take a couple moths of success to clam up the majority of them, but you'll never get them all. People in Boston still bring up Buckner, and they always hold up the Black Sox as the bar for scandals...which is now a century old.

I would think this will only last majorly 1-when the Astros play the Dodgers and either side start aiming for heads and 2-until the other 29 fan bases have a grasp on how their team is gonna look this year.

I'm expecting the Rangers to be so streaky it makes Windex look good.

If you think the Houston Astros are absolute cheats to where you feel it's okay to hit them with pitches, go right ahead and plunk them. Just remember that you will (and must) be punished for doing so. So are the words of one Dusty Baker. D. Baker wants protection from pitchers who feel like throwing at Astros players for their cheating scandal. Honestly, I could understand this regardless of whatever team is accused of such acts. I mean, these players have lives and families of their own, and even despite such controversy, it's foul to treat players like they deserve to be chastised often.

Open Season continues on the Houston Astros from many people. Over the weekend, Buffalo Wild Wings issued a Tweet that said "THIS IS HOW YOU PUNISH A TEAM THAT CHEATS!" in regards to the penalties levied on Manchester City of the Premier League for some of their questionable actions. Buffalo Wild Wings would later issue an apology for that Tweet after Houston sports fans have viciously defended their team. Buffalo Wild Wings even praised Houston fans for defending their team. A recent example on the Open Season on the Houston Astros recently was one Houston Astros season ticket holder wanting to sue the Astros for their cheating and for jacked up ticket prices the past four years or so. I heard of this man who was doing the suing earlier this morning. Final note I want to make... people have even been against Commissioner Rob Manfred's defense of not punishing the Astros harder for their sign-stealing scandal.

To me, I feel this sign-stealing scandal is turning out to be as bad as various steroids allegations and even when (for example) Michael Vick was being punished for his dog fighting. People making this whole deal worse than it actually is or should be. I still tend to feel like this is the Houston Astros doing this. Had this been the Yankees or Red Sox (jury still out on Red Sox 2018 cheating), it would just mean more reason to hate more established teams, and it would feel more like a slap on the wrist to NYY and BOS. I still feel this is not as much controversial as past baseball conspiracies. Though just like in social media, everyone wants to take their own shots at things. That's why people think the littlest issues are worthy of wanting to set up Internet memes or boycott. You know- get your food order wrong, mispronounce your name, misgender you- "boycott _____!" Some people really need to chill out.

By the way... the Houston Astros will play their first Spring Training game this Saturday against the team they share their Spring Training facility with- the defending champion Washington Nationals. Yay.

[OMISSION] Spare some thoughts in loving memory of Tony Fernandez. The former shortstop for the Toronto Blue Jays died at the age of 57 over the weekend. T. Fernandez was part of the Blue Jays team that won it all in 1993. My condolences go out to the Fernandez family and all who known and loved him.

Last edited:
Today begins Spring Training. Enough for a lot of the deal signing and the trading and stuff. Time to Play Ball and get certain other tomfoolery aside. Sadly, the "let's rip on the Astros" now has gone to the level of death threats to the players. I mean, honestly... the Houston Astros are my team and I love them to the moon and back, but this sign-stealing scandal is starting to get ridiculous. Okay. So the Astros cheated. Let them pay their debts to society without treating them like trash. At this rate, this season may be as much an atrocity as when the Astros had three straight 100-loss seasons. Yay, us.

Anyhow, enjoy Spring Training! Remember- Spring Training wins and losses (and even ties) do not count towards anything. Just keep your players healthy and prepare yourselves for another fine season of baseball coming up.

I briefly saw my Houston Astros on TV earlier today in Spring Training. It is the first time I've seen the Astros live since the sign-stealing scandal and all of the fallout that transpired since. This game is between the Miami Marlins and the Houston Astros. The score was 3-0, Miami in the Bottom of the 6. That was until the Astros had bases loaded with nobody out... and one Astro banged a Grand Slam to go ahead 4-3 at that point. It's just good to me we're finally playing baseball and not get too caught up in any controversies or jokes. It is a refreshing change of pace for the most part.

A recent injury to Justin Verlander could mean he may not start on Opening Day this season. He suffered a mild LAT strain injury during a recent Spring Training game. J. Verlander was supposed to do about four innings of work but was limited to just two after the injuries. At worst, I am hoping this upcoming season doesn't end up being one where the 2020 Houston Astros just get to be everybody's chew toy with everybody throwing all kinds of shade at the Astros. I am also hoping we don't challenge the Astros teams that had 100+ losses for three straight seasons.

Anyone else want to talk about how your team(s) is/are doing in Spring Training?

Major League Baseball has cancelled the series in Mexico and Puerto Rico thanks to COVID-19/Coronavirus. The 2020 Mexico Series this season was supposed to be between the Arizona Diamondbacks and the San Diego Padres. The 2020 Puerto Rico Series was supposed to be between the New York Mets and the Miami Marlins.

The 2020 MLB season itself seems to be pushed back to around mid to late April. Opening Day was pushed back to at least two weeks. So it may be early-mid April that the 2020 season will start if this holds.

[OMISSION] Chris Sale will have Tommy John surgery. The Boston Red Sox pitcher's outing means Boston will run a bit thin pitching rotation wise. I wish Sale well in his surgery. Chris Sale is a beast pitcher.

Today would have been Opening Day 2020. Because of COVID-19/Coronavirus, that didn't happen. The MLB is eyeing a May return. Commissioner Rob Manfred suggests, "baseball will be back."

Major League Baseball has cancelled the 2020 London Series due to COVID-19/Coronavirus. It was supposed to be a series between the Chicago Cubs and the St. Louis Cardinals to run around June 13 and June 14.

Even if baseball is cancelled this season, the bans on A.J. Hinch and Jeff Luhnow will stand. Major League Baseball will uphold the 1-year suspension of Hinch and Luhnow as part of their sign-stealing scandal in 2017. Hinch and Luhnow were former team principals of the Houston Astros.

Mr. Tiger, Al Kaline, passed away today at the age of 85.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...elder-detroit-tigers-legend-al-kaline-dies-85

I remember meeting Kaline many years since he was somehow involved with a car dealership my grandpa worked at. He signed a couple of baseballs for me, one that I have on my bookshelf here at home, and played catch with me. One of the cooler memories I have from being a young kid.

Sorry to learn of his passing. My condolences go out to all who known and loved Al Kaline. Condolences also to Detroit Tigers fans on this tragic loss.

Major League Baseball is scheming a return of May as for which to either start up the season or have teams loosen up to start a new season of baseball. It is also possible the league could have a lot of games happen in empty ballparks or at some neutral sites. Sure want to see how the league handles this all.

Have you heard that Major League Baseball may consider playing out its regular season in Florida and/or Arizona for the 2020 season? This is a move put into play to play out the entire reason while not having fans at games. There are also no plans of having the American League and National League. It will just be teams that play in either Florida or Arizona. The winner of the leagues in Florida and Arizona would play each other as the World Series. All without fans in the stands, of course. Here is a more complete explanation of what I've tried to mention in this post: https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...ders-radical-move-for-2020-season/5128935002/

It will be interesting seeing how this will all play out if it came to fruition.

The Houston Astros have dominated the offseason headlines for the wrong reasons. Now, it's the Boston Red Sox's turn to suffer. Major League Baseball has punished the Red Sox by having Adam Cora banned through the 2020 Playoffs, but only for his time with the Astros. J.T. Watkins is banned as replay operator in 2020 and 2021. Boston also gives up a 2nd Round pick of the 2020 MLB Draft. In other words, Boston has mostly been vindicated of any serious wrongdoing. But of course, Open Season is still on for the Houston Astros, everyone trying to get their shots in on my beloved MLB team. You might as well hate on the Red Sox for their involvement if you're going to hate on my Astros.

Outside of this, Major League Baseball is looking to play out any sort of 2020 baseball in Arizona, Texas, and Florida. A number of minor league facilities will be used for teams and players to play in. This was announced as a plan a few days ago.

Comment away if you please on any recent news from the MLB.

On this day (April 23) in 1964... (then) Houston Colt .45s's pitcher Ken Johnson threw a no-hitter, but LOSE. I think it is the only time in MLB history that a pitcher threw a no-hitter yet end losing the game. The Colt .45s lost at the Cincinnati Reds 1-0 in that game. Two errors by Houston in the Bottom of the 9th led the Reds stunning the Colt .45s. You normally think you'd win a game if you pitched a No-Hitter or even a Perfect Game. Yeah- YOU can be perfect or a no-hitter, but if your team still ends up losing, all that work goes to waste.

On this day (April 23) in 1964... (then) Houston Colt .45s's pitcher Ken Johnson threw a no-hitter, but LOSE. I think it is the only time in MLB history that a pitcher threw a no-hitter yet end losing the game. The Colt .45s lost at the Cincinnati Reds 1-0 in that game. Two errors by Houston in the Bottom of the 9th led the Reds stunning the Colt .45s. You normally think you'd win a game if you pitched a No-Hitter or even a Perfect Game. Yeah- YOU can be perfect or a no-hitter, but if your team still ends up losing, all that work goes to waste.
Yay, Reds! :P

Major League Baseball is still on hiatus. However, ESPN has been showing baseball action from the (Korea Baseball Organization). This could be some insight as to how MLB games will look like with this COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic going. So be sure to watch those telecasts to see some Korean baseball.

Elsewhere...

* On this day in 2016...

Mets pitcher Bartolo Colon, then 42 years old, hit a home run. "Big Sexy" DELIVERING a home run rather than giving up a home run.

* Major League Baseball is looking at mid-June or mid-July to start "Spring" Training. There was some real Spring Training that happened before the pandemic got worse, but it, like many other sporting leagues, suspended their play.

Slowly, but surely, we may finally get baseball back underway soon.

So are you ready for Major League Baseball to return? There is a plan to have an 80-game season with a start in early July. Here is an article according to the Associated Press: https://apnews.com/6195fbe572aa83a0616053e9133a8551

I guess this will help get you baseball fans interested and be somewhat optimistic in case you needed a pick-me-up in the baseball realm. If you have any thoughts on this matter, feel free to disclose your thoughts on this news.

Yesterday, Tampa Bay Rays' pitcher Blake Snell said he will not play for a reduced salary because of his chances of potentially putting his life on the line contracting COVID-19/Coronavirus. B. Snell claims he wants all of his money and not willing to take a pay cut or a drop in his salary. Snell also feels he is potentially putting his life on the line trying to accept any of these offers in this time of this pandemic. The reaction from many people is that Snell is completely in the wrong. PHI's Bryce Harper and COL's Nolan Arenado, however, supports B. Snell's views and backs him up completely on his views. How do you feel about Blake Snell's thoughts?

A house divided. What owners want and what players want are putting everyone at odds. The two sides have yet to really agree to anything at this point. As time goes on, though, we'll see what the 2020 season of Major League Baseball will be like.

It seems like Major League Baseball and the players can't seem to come to an agreement on how to start the 2020 season. The latest 76-game proposal was disapproved by the players. Most of the MLB players are seeking some sort of package which allow them to have decent salaries during the time of games played and not played. This may all lead to possibly the 2020 season not happening if constant disagreements continue.

Today is the 2020 Major League Baseball draft. We will have to see what players will enter this season's draft. The Houston Astros will have to wait until the third round for them to make their picks.

The Houston Astros cheated their way to a title, huh? Well, guess what I've been reading on Twitter lately? There have been reports that the New York Yankees allegedly were caught in their own sign-stealing scandal between 2015 to 2017 or so. We all know there's an "Always Hate Houston" mentality, but I'm sure this Yankees' sign-stealing allegations will probably be let slide since this is the Yankees we're talking about. It was the Yankees who fell victim to the 2017 Houston Astros all the way to the Astros winning the 2017 World Series. Some folks on Twitter seem to think Commissioner Rob Manfred has a Yankees bias. Baseball can be such a dirty sport.

Speaking of which, a deal of about 72 games and an 80% prorated salary was recently rejected. So this further delays the players and union coming together on something. Rob Manfred remains adamant in that there WILL be Major League Baseball in 2020. Well, these guys better come up with something and agree to something to make this season happen.

Last edited:
At this point it's clear ther will be less than half a full 162-game season played, if any at all. Yet MLB has no plans to issue refunds for MLB.TV.

I see lawsuits coming. They contracted to deliver a product and are failing (will fail) to do so.

The players rejected the latest proposal, at this point I have to imagine it’s only a matter of time before they just cancel the whole season, especially since numbers are going back up.

You know what? Might as well cancel the 2020 season if there are so many disagreements with so much time being lost. Why drag this out for so long if nobody can really come to any kind of agreement?

It figures that the Reds would choose this year to make the biggest splash in free agency in their history. What a waste.

Back