Major League Baseball: 2020 Season

• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 179 comments
The Phillies today went two for thirteen with runners in scoring position and left fourteen men on base. Although they had the same number of hits as the Marlins, they lost 11-6.

This is the same problem that haunted them all last year.

The Phillies today went two for thirteen with runners in scoring position and left fourteen men on base. Although they had the same number of hits as the Marlins, they lost 11-6.

This is the same problem that haunted them all last year.
You won't take solace in this but the Phillies game shouldn't have been played yesterday as cases are now mounting for the Marlins (after 2 infectious disease doctors advised them not to play), with 14 members of the Marlins (9 players) with the disease. Marlins vs O's has been canceled and the Phillies vs. the Yankees has been as well.

You won't take solace in this but the Phillies game shouldn't have been played yesterday as cases are now mounting for the Marlins (after 2 infectious disease doctors advised them not to play), with 14 members of the Marlins (9 players) with the disease. Marlins vs O's has been canceled and the Phillies vs. the Yankees has been as well.

I'm afraid we haven't seen the last of this kind of thing, which could lead to the entire rest of the season being cancelled at some point.

which could lead to the entire rest of the season being cancelled at some point.

Im personally predicting we will see them cancel it before the regular season is 3/4 the way over.

Im personally predicting we will see them cancel it before the regular season is 3/4 the way over.
And the reason the Marlins played is because they "voted to". Oh, so their vote outweighs the risks to the umpires and the other team(s)?

The only way I can see sports working right now is if they do what the NBA is doing. Put everyone in a "bubble" and don't allow them to leave the compound for any reason.

Any chance they just tell the Marlins to shut down and continue with the 29 teams that seem to know what they are doing.
Wouldn't work out well. Would give all east teams an unfair advantage for the playoffs (or for the Phillies, worse).

So a vote within the team if they wanted to play, even though they knew members had tested positive? I thought you meant something with the league. This sounds like bullcrap
The league didn't do anything about it. The fact that there was a question of if they would play because of adversity (say, if there was a player who died or a national tragedy) vs. something that put the others at risk is ridiculous. Who are the players to judge if they should be playing when they could be carriers? They aren't doctors.

Here is my first series summary. It may also be one of the last ones if Major League Baseball's plan to get through with this season completely. Here goes...

GM1 SEA at HOU: (8-2; Houston)
GM2 SEA at HOU: (7-2; Houston)
GM3 SEA at HOU: (6-5; Seattle)
GM4 SEA at HOU: (8-5; Houston)

I only mostly followed Game 1 of this four-game series. I was stunned to learn Astros' play-by-play announcer Todd Kalas tested positive for COVID-19. T. Kalas says he been recovering and says he feels okay. In all seriousness, the Astros did not seem to miss a beat. I also am hoping the Astros don't go on some kind of deal where they get villainized for their cheating scandal. 'Cause you know, there's the "Always Hate Houston" mentality some people have and with Houston teams failing on the national stage.

Our next series starts tonight in a rematch of the 2017 World Series- a brief two-game series at home against the Los Angeles Dodgers.

Enjoy the next series of games! If you prefer making series summaries, let us all know how your favorite team(s) did in their first series of 2020.

In a reverse role of the previous games against the Tigers, the Reds' starter had a rough game while the bullpen was better. Wade Miley got beat around in his Reds' debut, only lasting 1 2/3rd's innings and giving up 6 runs (5 earned). Meanwhile, Lester was dealing for the Cubbies, not allowing a hit in his 5 innings of work. The Reds offense finally came out of the funk when Lester exited. Despite being down 7-0 when they came up to bat in the 6th, they tried to mount a comeback, but came up just short, losing 8-7. They certainly had a chance to win in the later innings, leaving multiple guys on base the final 3 innings. In any case, you can add another number to the L column. 1-3 is their record.

Fun note: Tyler Stephenson, one of the team's top prospects who got called up earlier in the day, hit a bomb in his first career plate appearance. That was the first time a Red had done so since 1950.

In a reverse role of the previous games against the Tigers, the Reds' starter had a rough game while the bullpen was better. Wade Miley got beat around in his Reds' debut, only lasting 1 2/3rd's innings and giving up 6 runs (5 earned). Meanwhile, Lester was dealing for the Cubbies, not allowing a hit in his 5 innings of work. The Reds offense finally came out of the funk when Lester exited. Despite being down 7-0 when they came up to bat in the 6th, they tried to mount a comeback, but came up just short, losing 8-7. They certainly had a chance to win in the later innings, leaving multiple guys on base the final 3 innings. In any case, you can add another number to the L column. 1-3 is their record.

Fun note: Tyler Stephenson, one of the team's top prospects who got called up earlier in the day, hit a bomb in his first career plate appearance. That was the first time a Red had done so since 1950.
The Reds have done this quite a bit. Lorenzen and now Stephenson.

In COVID-19 related news:
1) Yankees vs. Phillies series in Philadelphia has been ppd. Only a clubhouse attendant seems to have contracted COVID-19 and none of the players. It appears that the series in New York, slated to begin tomorrow, will go on.
2) Orioles vs. Marlins series in Miami has been ppd as well. An additional 4 Marlins tested positive for COVID-19, bringing the total to 15 players and 2 coaches. The team hopes to play tomorrow in a 2 game set with the Orioles in Baltimore, but that will require the state of Maryland to approve the game(s) as well, I'd imagine.
3) The Washington Nationals have voted as a team to NOT travel this weekend to Miami to play the Marlins as many of them, including the manager Davey Martinez, feel it is too risky. MLB will now need to make a decision on if the games will occur. I personally cannot see how much longer they can hold games in Florida altogether (even though Tampa is less of a risk), especially with the Marlins so ravaged by the disease.
4) Minor Kansas City Royals news as the team has signed RHP Matt Harvey to a minor-league contract AND Chiefs QB Pat Mahomes has been added to the ownership group of the Royals.

UPDATE:
1) Yankees vs. Philies has been ppd for all 4 games. Phillies are off until at least Friday.
2) Orioles vs. Marlins has been ppd. Yankees will play the Orioles on Wednesday and Thursday.
3) Nationals vs. Marlins has been ppd. Nationals will be off this weekend and the Marlins season is paused until at least Monday.

Last edited:
You know, I am almost tending to question if we will actually get through this complete 60-game season. We are all going to look at the four major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL) under a microscope in how the teams are handling the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. How MLB manages this whole deal will be very interesting to follow.

You know, I am almost tending to question if we will actually get through this complete 60-game season. We are all going to look at the four major sports (NFL, NBA, MLB, and NHL) under a microscope in how the teams are handling the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. How MLB manages this whole deal will be very interesting to follow.
NHL and NBA will be fine. MLB will likely make it a few more weeks (unless the Miami Marlin issue is truly due to stupidity). NFL? Lol, I cannot see that getting through the year. If MLB has a 10% chance to finish the season, the NFL is probably 1%.

Okay. The Houston Astros hosted the Los Angeles Dodgers in a rematch of the 2017 World Series. Here's how this two-game set ended...

GM1 LAD at HOU: (5-2; Los Angeles Dodgers)
GM2 LAD at HOU: (4-2, 13 innings; Los Angeles Dodgers)

So the Astros failed in this one. The big attention grabber was on Tuesday night when LAD pitcher Joe Kelly was throwing hard at the Astros along with taunting one of the Astros. What did J. Kelly get for his troubles? An eight-game suspension. The Astros, meanwhile, suffered their first string of successive losses on the 2020 season. Our next series is our first road series as we take on the other Los Angeles team- the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. That series starts this Friday. We have Thursday off.

Elsewhere...

I got my first look at the Texas Rangers' new ballpark yesterday. I thought the former ballpark of the Rangers was very nice. This new ballpark looks great! As an Astros fan, I'm reluctant to all the series against our rival Rangers in the Battle for the Silver Boot series.

Congratulations to all recent series winners.

[UPDATE/OMISSION] The second game went 13 innings.

Last edited:
The Cubs took Game 1 on Tuesday against the Reds Tuesday. It was a frustrating loss. The Reds gave up 1 run apiece in the 3rd through 8th innings, and another 2 in the 9th. They tried to mount a comeback but failed 8-5.

The Reds returned the favor yesterday in Game 2, winning 12-7. Sonny Gray was dominant again, collecting 11 strikeouts while allowing only 1 hit and 1 walk. 2 unearned runs came across the plate in the 7th thanks to an error (along with 3 more earned by Reds' "relief"). I have no idea why Bell pulled him with 2 outs in the inning. Yes, there were 2 runners on, but he had been steamrolling the Cubbies all night. That 5 spot never should have happened. It was a good thing the Reds had a 7-run inning earlier in the game. In any case, the rejuvenated Reds' offense came back alive with the return of Moooooooose and Senzel. It's a difference offense with those guys back in the lineup.

Rubber game is tonight, weather pending. It's been raining ALL day, so I don't see it happening.

No rubber game as the Cubs and Reds played "water polo".

We already knew that the Nationals-Marlins series has been ppd for the weekend and now another game (and possibly series) will also be ppd. The St. Louis Cardinals have had positive COVID-19 tests and their game today vs. the Milwaukee Brewers has been postponed. If the weekend series is postponed, they cannot pivot like the eastern teams did.

And now the Phillies-Blue Jays series has been postponed.

I’m starting to think my prediction of making it to the 3/4 mark was rather optimistic.

And now the Phillies-Blue Jays series has been postponed.

I’m starting to think my prediction of making it to the 3/4 mark was rather optimistic.

I couldn't agree more. At this point (and counting) fifteen percent of the Phillies' season has been postponed, and we're just getting started.

I understand that all doubleheaders this year will be 7-inning games. Just like the minors.

If you're predicting this 2020 season may be nearing being done in a number of weeks, you may be proven right. Outbreaks among the Miami Marlins and the Philadelphia Phillies have made the rounds lately in trying to play despite the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic. I think even MLB commissioner Rob Manfred wants to see teams try and better contain any kind of virus outbreaks.

I'll have my summary of the HOU at LAA series in a future post.

Mets lose their 5th straight as they get swept by the Braves 4-0. Past 2 nights they have left 24 runners on base and have gone a paltry 2 for 25 with runners in scoring position.

HOWEVER....

All of this was a backdrop to OF Yoenis Cespedes not reporting to the ballpark after being told he wasn't starting today. The Mets bizarrely put out a press release stating they can not locate Cespedes (which they retract about 45 minutes later, stating they still don't know where he is, but they believe he's safe). Turns out Cespedes had opted out of the rest of the season and didn't bother to tell anyone. This likely ends his career with the Mets as his contract ends after this year and probably further puts the Mets' General Manager Brodie Van Wagenen on the hot seat pending the new ownership rumored to be coming onboard.

The Reds swept the 7-inning doubleheader against the Tigers today. In the early game, DeSclafani was sharp in his season debut. He was pulled after only 5 innings and 64 pitches and no runs given up. He still didn't get the win; the bullpen giving up the 3-run lead in the bottom of the 6th. Even so, the Reds scored in the top of the 7th and held on for a 4-3 win. Bauer pitched a complete game shutout* in game 2. Reds won 4-0.

*again, only 7 innings

The Houston Astros took on their first road game of the 2020 season. Here's how it went when the Astros visited Anaheim...

GM1 HOU at LAA: (4-2; Houston)
GM2 HOU at LAA: (5-4, 10 innings; Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim)
GM3 HOU at LAA: (6-5, 11 innings; Houston)

So the Astros failed to defeat the Los Angeles Dodgers, but we defeat the other L.A. team. I saw the early bits of the Sunday game. Angels made us pay early with a Grand Slam to go ahead 4-2. Astros rallied back somehow to 4-4 in Game 3. Afterwards, that series ended with the Astros winning.

This series win has the Houston Astros tied for the AL West lead with the Oakland Athletics. Both teams 5-4. Up next... we're going for some Interleague action at the Arizona Diamondbacks (3-game series) starting this Tuesday. Right- going to the desert. Next weekend, we're at the Oakland Athletics for another 3-game set starting on Friday.

That's all from me. Congratulations to all other winners from Sunday as well as recent series winners.

Don't try this at home, kids... but my Houston Astros went out into the desert and played baseball with some snakes. Houston Astros at Arizona Diamondbacks. In the old days, this would be NL Central meets NL West. But today, it's AL West meets NL West. So let's see how this ended...

GM1 HOU at ARI: (8-2; Houston)
GM2 HOU at ARI: (14-7; Arizona)
GM3 HOU at ARI: (5-4; Arizona)

The Houston Astros are on a three-city road trip. Right now, so far, so bad. It could get worse when we go to the AL West-leading Oakland Athletics this weekend. Yep- the 2nd AL West Astros taking on the A's over the weekend.

Congratulations to all series winners and all Thursday winners.

City 2 of 3 of this Astros rock tour took them to Oakland, California. The three-game weekend series in Oakland went like this:

GM1 HOU at OAK: (3-2, 13 innings; Oakland)
GM2 HOU at OAK: (3-1; Oakland)
GM3 HOU at OAK: (7-2; Oakland)

Yep- swept at the Oakland Athletics as Oakland retains their AL West lead. Meanwhile, the Astros are stuck on six wins. The Astros have been beaten up during this road trip; much more than the melee that broke out on Sunday between the Astros and A's. Five straight losses for the Astros heading into this three-game series at the Giants starting later today. Hopefully this gets turned around before we start becoming the fail-tastic Astros that broke their games lost record three successive years. We're 6-9 right now and 3rd in the AL West. Ahead of us are AL West-leading Oakland (12-4) and Texas (6-8). Next series is at home against the San Francisco Giants.

Congratulations to all recent series winners and those who won on Sunday. Enjoy the new series.

[UPDATE] The Giants series will be here in Houston. I edited the post to reflect the changes. Currently in the Top of the 7th inning, it is 6-0, Astros. Series summary to come when the series ends on Wednesday.

Last edited:
Interleague action in Houston as the San Francisco Giants met my Houston Astros. The series went like this:

GM1 SF at HOU: (6-4; Houston)
GM2 SF at HOU: (7-6; San Francisco)
GM3 SF at HOU: (5-1; Houston)

The Astros needed a series win after a rough road trip. This helps as the Astros got back to winning. Up next... we will host the Seattle Mariners for three games starting on Friday followed by a quick two-game set vs. the Colorado Rockies.

Congratulations to all other series winners and those who won on Wednesday.

Back