Make all cars available from the start?

• Thread starter Earth
  • 894 comments

Make all cars available from the start?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
That would actually be a pretty amusing bunch of wild assumptions if they didn't all rest on the obviously-false premise that struggling with the still-grind-happy, still hopelessly linear PS3-era GT Mode can be considered the same as game challenge. Something being frustrating is not the same thing as something being challenging. Barring a handful of the special events, there is nothing difficult about GT6. Even though now you actually have to play the game to advance through it, it is still in some ways easier than GT5 was.

Though the followup assertion that a poorly designed single player mode is just something people will have to live with is still pretty funny.

Last edited:
If you don't enjoy it, and why are you talking about, do you want free cars to progress through the game for, is it because the career mode is just to hard for you Johnny, and that is why you want free cars so it can become easy for you and to pick and choose that car for that event for not paying any credits for in the first place which is silly. Another reason why you don't enjoy the career mode Johnny, because you have to do some grinding and you just have to live with it.
Yup, you got me, it's too hard for me. Back to Ridge Racer for me.

You can stop any change or progress with that same line of reasoning:

The game economy needs tweaking because stats show not many people drive the $20Mill cars.
Nope, can't do that, some people might think it reduces the exclusivity of those cars.

The physics could be much better.
Nope can't do that, some people might think it's too hard.

And on and on. Essentially it's a non-answer. You can't please everyone with every decision, but that doesn't mean you stop making decisions about the game or it stagnates and you churn out the same game version after version.

There are numerous ways to handle this. The simplest is you just go and tick a box in each dealership for each car you want and it's downloaded into your garage. Essentially the same as you do right now, only without the money.

You don't have to do that at all. You could still have upgrades and tuning monetized and players could use seasonal events or online racing or part of the career mode to finance the upgrades. Removing the game economy should be relatively easy anyway, everything could stay the same, but opting for this mode could just zero out your transactions at the time of purchase.

Ahhh, the martyr card. Kind of like the online version of the race card.👍

Except of course that those examples you gave aren't A. damaging to a large chunk of the game, or B. unpopular. But sure, same thing.

You might be happy with still paying for tuning and upgrades, but others who want all the cars right away won't be. That's the issue with this, you could just keep dividing this idea of having all of the cars at the start of the game.

All cars are free to test drive
All cars just in arcade mode
All cars just for arcade and online with no tuning allowed
All cars just for arcade and online with tuning allowed
All cars all the time with payed tuning
All cars all the time with free tuning

Once you're done sorting that out how many players are you really pleasing? How many are you upsetting by hindering GT Mode for everyone else?

Nope, not claiming to be a martyr. Just find it funny that your reasons for wanting something are more valid than the oppositions reasons for not wanting it. You're vote should count as two or something then, right?

Except of course that those examples you gave aren't A. damaging to a large chunk of the game, or B. unpopular. But sure, same thing.

You might be happy with still paying for tuning and upgrades, but others who want all the cars right away won't be. That's the issue with this, you could just keep dividing this idea of having all of the cars at the start of the game.

All cars are free to test drive
All cars just in arcade mode
All cars just for arcade and online with no tuning allowed
All cars just for arcade and online with tuning allowed
All cars all the time with payed tuning
All cars all the time with free tuning

Once you're done sorting that out how many players are you really pleasing? How many are you upsetting by hindering GT Mode for everyone else?

Nope, not claiming to be a martyr. Just find it funny that your reasons for wanting something are more valid than the oppositions reasons for not wanting it. You're vote should count as two or something then, right?
You have yet to give a reason mate, sorry. You're operating under the assumption, as you stated above, that it would be damaging to the game but I see no evidence of that. You seem to think that only solutions that make everyone happy are suitable and keep coming up with more and more imaginary roadblocks that already exist in this game and every game. As I said earlier, you can't make everyone happy, the goal is to give people as many ways to progress through the game as possible, without forcing people through one narrowly defined channel, while at the same time allowing those that wish that same narrowly defined channel can still have it.

I wonder if your enjoyment of the game was affected by me and many others having hundreds of cars and $25Mill a few days into the game.

OMG, guys... Stop ruining the game for the rest of us. There are players here won don't care about challenging multiplayer online races or even difficult challenges.

I mean, what's Gran Turismo without a bunch of dreary, repetitive license tests and cars that take a hundred hours of grinding on the exact same high-paying racing series to buy? Sacrilege!

I spent dozens of hours doing Driving Missions for the Tank Car in GT4... and then PD just gives it away in GT5 and 6? That pisses me off! Arrh! Grrr! Shark jumped! Boo! Think of the children!

-

Having all cars at the start of GT mode would ruin it for:

A. The people who're still pissed off that every thirteen year old and their sister have a Red Bull X201010L0L0L,

B. The few remaining purists who don't know how the PSN Trophy system works and who need to reaffirm their online manhood by trotting out expensive cars in multiplayer matches... right before they lose to a hacker with an X2010L0L0L.

Just find it funny that your reasons for wanting something are more valid than the oppositions reasons for not wanting it.
The attempt to be the oh so clever Devil's Advocate would work a lot better if "the opposition's reasons" actually existed. You know, written down and explained so they could be examine.

Two threads with 100+ posts each on this specific issue and the closest anyone actually went to providing a tangible reason it shouldn't be implemented (as opposed to the repeated variations of "this is my ignorant assumption for what's wrong with you for wanting this option", sometimes from people who had already had the fault with their assumptions explained to them) was the earth shattering "To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy:."

Last edited:
OMG, guys... Stop ruining the game for the rest of us. There are players here won don't care about challenging multiplayer online races or even difficult challenges.

I mean, what's Gran Turismo without a bunch of dreary, repetitive license tests and cars that take a hundred hours of grinding on the exact same high-paying racing series to buy? Sacrilege!

I spent dozens of hours doing Driving Missions for the Tank Car in GT4... and then PD just gives it away in GT5 and 6? That pisses me off! Arrh! Grrr! Shark jumped! Boo! Think of the children!

-

Having all cars at the start of GT mode would ruin it for:

A. The people who're still pissed off that every thirteen year old and their sister have a Red Bull X201010L0L0L,

B. The few remaining purists who don't know how the PSN Trophy system works and who need to reaffirm their online manhood by trotting out expensive cars in multiplayer matches... right before they lose to a hacker with an X2010L0L0L.
I wish I had your ability to make sarcasm humourous:lol::lol:

I wish I had your ability to make sarcasm humourous:lol::lol:

I paid my way through Gran Turismo through failed exams, sick days at work, cancelled dates, half-broken relationships and poor health. Everyone should have to do the same. ;)

You have yet to give a reason mate, sorry. You're operating under the assumption, as you stated above, that it would be damaging to the game but I see no evidence of that. You seem to think that only solutions that make everyone happy are suitable and keep coming up with more and more imaginary roadblocks that already exist in this game and every game. As I said earlier, you can't make everyone happy, the goal is to give people as many ways to progress through the game as possible, without forcing people through one narrowly defined channel, while at the same time allowing those that wish that same narrowly defined channel can still have it.

I wonder if your enjoyment of the game was affected by me and many others having hundreds of cars and $25Mill a few days into the game.

Evidence? We're having a hypothetical discussion about something that will likely never happen. Sorry I don't have my pie charts in order just yet, though I'd love to see yours showing that people who don't want to have all cars available would be unaffected by having it as an option.

I've already said that it doesn't seem to be popular enough (based on this thread) to warrant spending any time on it. I've also already said that it would diminish the sense of accomplishment if we could all just choose to have everything upfront.

That second one is where the disconnect seems to be. I'm not saying that people might be bummed because other people have all the cars. But when you have the option to get all of the content you would otherwise work for it means you have to choose to have obstacles which could really ruin the sense of accomplishment.

I don't agree that the goal should be the most possible ways to work through the game. I think the goal should be to find a path through the game that the largest chunk of the fanbase will like. Because as I said, if you just keep piling on options you end up putting time and effort into work that very will even like.

I'd also like to point out that 2/3rds of the people who've voted in the poll don't want all of the cars unlocked. Now, due to the limited nature of the poll, we don't know specifically why. But they have there reasons just as you have yours for wanting it.

The attempt to be the oh so clever Devil's Advocate would work a lot better if "the opposition's reasons" actually existed. You know, written down and explained so they could be examine.

Two threads with 100+ posts each on this specific issue and the closest anyone actually went to providing a tangible reason it shouldn't be implemented (as opposed to the repeated variations of "this is my ignorant assumption for what's wrong with you for wanting this option", sometimes from people who had already had the fault with their assumptions explained to them) was the earth shattering "To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy:."

I assume you've only been reading yours and Johnnys posts then?

"Buy GT7, got all cars, finish game in a month...what do you do for the next 3 years? I know, play pcars and codies games :sly:"

"Part of the charm of the game has always been about collecting stuff."

"No, for a racer/ car collecting game like GT or FM (so not just a pure sang racing game), having all those hundreds of desirable cars available from the start would ruin the fun."

"Oh yes the players will get to drive their favourite cars, after they win some races, get their cash and buy them. There's the sense of accomplishment when you save up and buy something. Sure the race factors do improve skills but still, unlocking things seems to be good also, I mean there's a reason why we're earning credits. What's the point of playing and winning when everything is already there? Things must be earned, not just to appear and be like "Soooo what must happen now?". Why should it frustrating to unlock something? Just makes the game too easy."

"What happens to GT Life when theres no more credits, no more dealerships, no more used cars, no more ladder to climb? You can just jump into a Veyron and tune it to 2,000HP?"

"that just kills buying the car for me, because it's available in arcade already."

"Having all cars available from the start is gonna kill GT Career mode then more complaints and whining will come.
Things should be locked and entice you to unlock more content by progressing through the game and developing your skill . Even certain cars should be padlocked like they were in the past and be won in a certain event. Reward players for using their skill and not handing things out for nothing which creates bad players"

"1. The grind. Working your way up from a crappy little car to the big boys is quite satisfying, even if it's a bit tedious at times. It gives you the feeling you've been on a long journey, and when you're at the top you can look back and see how far you've come. Starting off being able to partake in any level of racing completely kills this.

2. The sense of car ownership. The fact that you have to wisely choose what cars you want to buy, since grinding enough to buy even half the cars in the game would take an eternity, makes each car you plonk down the credits for feel special. The cars in your garage feel like they're yours, moreso than in any other game, because you really had to put in the effort to earn the precious credits that you used to buy them. That, combined with the fact that having instant access to everything would essentially make the garage, GT Auto, etc. obsolete, would completely spoil what makes GT special."

I guessed you missed those one or two posts huh?

Two threads with 100+ pages each on this specific issue and the closest anyone actually went to providing a tangible reason it shouldn't be implemented (as opposed to the repeated variations of "this is my ignorant assumption for what's wrong with you for wanting this option", sometimes from people who had already had the fault with their assumptions explained to them) was the earth shattering "To have all the cars available at the start is :crazy:."

There is no reason in the world good enough for you. Why? Because you and those who share your opinion see the cars as 'digital bits'. Its like saying pokemon cards are nothing but 'paper and ink'. Technically, your correct. But you dont care about the collection side of things so theres no convincing you.

At that point the total disregard you've shown for the entire 15 year history of Gran Turismo disqualifies your opinion.

Sorry I don't have my pie charts in order just yet, though I'd love to see yours showing that people who don't want to have all cars available would be unaffected by having it as an option.
It's rather telling that most of the time the question of how options (and not just this specific option) hinder other peoples' games is raised, the response is a blank stare. A sizeable portion of the previous thread was several people asking that exact question to the most outspoken person in both threads, and even then the ultimate response was him saying that it doesn't. That certainly leads me to believe that, no, an option that caters to the people who can't spend most of their free time plopped in front of a Playstation just to get to the point where they can actually play the game proper doesn't effect the people who don't have a problem with the current way of doing things.

I've already said that it doesn't seem to be popular enough (based on this thread) to warrant spending any time on it. I've also already said that it would diminish the sense of accomplishment if we could all just choose to have everything upfront.
The amount of things PD does that most people probably don't care about would write a pretty long book; and I struggle to think of any example from that book that would take as little effort as adjusting functionality they already have in the game. Does expanding the arcade mode car selection to include every car take more effort than, say, painstakingly recreating the Lunar Rover and it's driving course on the moon?

I'd also like to point out that 2/3rds of the people who've voted in the poll don't want all of the cars unlocked.
And I'd also like to point out that people who vote in polls (with a sample size of barely tops 90 people, to boot) but don't say anything are meaningless to the discussion about the thing the poll is about.

Now, due to the limited nature of the poll, we don't know specifically why. But they have there reasons just as you have yours for wanting it.
And that automatically makes those reasons equally valid when they aren't even expressed?

I assume you've only been reading yours and Johnnys posts then?
Nope. I've read the entire thread, as well as the previous thread. As well as countless threads about similar concepts that all had the same sort of responses in them against player options.

"Buy GT7, got all cars, finish game in a month...what do you do for the next 3 years? I know, play pcars and codies games :sly:"
Strangely enough, my current GT2 save predates that specific member's join date. Yours as well. It doesn't quite predate mine, but it does do so with the launch of the PS3. I started it with infinite credits and all licence tests completed at the start.
And yet I still put far more time into GT2 than I did any other GT game, with only GT3 coming close. I've played the same save on two laptops, on my PS2, on half a dozen different PSPs, two tablets and three different PS3s. The only reason I don't play it much right now is that my current tablet doesn't natively support PS3 controllers like my old one did.

So it seems I've spent the next 3 (actually closer to 8) years... racing. Since I find getting the cars to do what I want with them the means to the end, rather than the actual goal itself; and the game (and GT4 to an even greater extent, but I always hated GT4's physics and terrible AI, and think GT2 has a better car list) represents the perfect balance of creativity and accessibility for the series, despite how dated it is

Certainly. It's nice if the game is up to snuff, though; else you get poorly thought out, painfully padded disasters like GTPSP.

"No, for a racer/ car collecting game like GT or FM (so not just a pure sang racing game), having all those hundreds of desirable cars available from the start would ruin the fun."
"I can't have fun with the game if other people don't conform to what I find fun as well."

"Oh yes the players will get to drive their favourite cars, after they win some races, get their cash and buy them. There's the sense of accomplishment when you save up and buy something. Sure the race factors do improve skills but still, unlocking things seems to be good also, I mean there's a reason why we're earning credits. What's the point of playing and winning when everything is already there? Things must be earned, not just to appear and be like "Soooo what must happen now?". Why should it frustrating to unlock something? Just makes the game too easy."
I don't gain any accomplishment doing largely the same events from the first 5 Gran Turismo games against largely the same cars from the first 5 Gran Turismo games to gain enough credits to purchase largely the same cars from the first 5 Gran Turismo games; all so I can race against the worst AI in the entire history of Gran Turismo games. Online play should have alleviated that somewhat, but it's literally impossible to play online until you play a certain amount of career mode and extremely difficult to just play online once you have actually unlocked it.

Seriously, step back and look at the crux of the supposedly valid argument you claimed I ignored. "What's the point of playing and winning"? At what point did playing the game cease to be the point of a game?

"What happens to GT Life when theres no more credits, no more dealerships, no more used cars, no more ladder to climb? You can just jump into a Veyron and tune it to 2,000HP?"
Good thing we spent this entire thread talking about an optional way to play the game rather than replacing outright the traditional Simulation mode.

"that just kills buying the car for me, because it's available in arcade already."
I hope that person was able to keep themselves from buying microtransactions then. Though it's impressive that a car being available in a separate mode impacts their "ownership" sense in the mode they are talking about.

"Having all cars available from the start is gonna kill GT Career mode then more complaints and whining will come.
Things should be locked and entice you to unlock more content by progressing through the game and developing your skill . Even certain cars should be padlocked like they were in the past and be won in a certain event. Reward players for using their skill and not handing things out for nothing which creates bad players"
Let's not even get started on the fallacy that actively locking content away from the player increases player enjoyment. Especially not in a game with a heavy multiplayer focus.

"1. The grind. Working your way up from a crappy little car to the big boys is quite satisfying, even if it's a bit tedious at times. It gives you the feeling you've been on a long journey, and when you're at the top you can look back and see how far you've come. Starting off being able to partake in any level of racing completely kills this.

2. The sense of car ownership. The fact that you have to wisely choose what cars you want to buy, since grinding enough to buy even half the cars in the game would take an eternity, makes each car you plonk down the credits for feel special. The cars in your garage feel like they're yours, moreso than in any other game, because you really had to put in the effort to earn the precious credits that you used to buy them. That, combined with the fact that having instant access to everything would essentially make the garage, GT Auto, etc. obsolete, would completely spoil what makes GT special."
That's just an attempt to justify the poor game design that GT6 and GT5 suffered so heavily from compared to earlier games. Grinding for hours and virtual car ownership aren't inseparably linked concepts, as shown by all of the GT games that didn't require you to do anything of the sort to nearly the same extent. The really good GT knockoffs (like NFS: Porsche Unleashed) had very little grinding at all while still maintaining a very similar credits-based game progression system as well as a sense of ownership. I've already gone on record as saying that I don't entirely agree with the notion Johnnypenso states that GT needs an alternate mode of career progression. But what it does need is a good mode of career progression, something that the games prior to the PS3 era had little difficulty with.
Some of the greatest events the series ever had were limited time only Seasonal Events GT5 had that took all of the great technical achievements GT5 brought to the table (16 car fields, weather and time change) and made theme races about it. 16 car GT500 races at Spa, for example, was some of the most fun I've ever had in the series; and that was despite being a B-Spec race.
And yet most of GT Life mode proper was 3 lap races at Cape Ring or Tokyo. I'd play the hell out of a GT7 that took GT4's or GT2's design imagination and applied it to the infinitely higher possibilities that PD have included following the jump to PS3. Crappy AI and all.

What I will not play, and the reason that I gave up on GT6 and sold it after less than two months, are the same basic events (most of which are even worse than they were in GT5) copy pasted half a dozen times with online play literally locked away until you arbitrarily progressed far enough to unlock it, and still pretty much locked away after that since you can't accomplish anything in terms of increasing your car selection with how online play is structured. GT5 I could at least unlock stuff by abusing B-Spec and still have fun online whenever I could; and GT5 at least came out when I had dozens of more hours a week of free time and only one gaming platform.

I guessed you missed those one or two posts huh?
Nope. Just heard all of the arguments before; and a lot of them even cross over into related topics (like how licence tests should be mandatory, or how some cars shouldn't be purchasable, or why garage transfers between games shouldn't be allowed, or why the old GT5 trade limit was good for everyone, or why low credit payouts/artificially inflated car prices are good things, etc.). Very few of them are anything but dictating what should be considered fun to others; usually with some variety of "but if others are given the option I can't control myself from using it" tossed in as a sweetener.

And none of them, ever, acknowledge that not everyone is a twenty something with dozens of hours a week to put into a single videogame; even as the GT series appeals more and more to non-gamers with options like Photomode and marketing events like Vision GT. In fact, when it is pointed out that that is the case, the people are often just ignored or called "lazy" or told they "think the game is too hard" or similar such idiocy. Sometimes they are even told that the GT series just isn't for them, as if they woke up one day and started hating GT.
Earth provides a great example here of exactly that:
There is no reason in the world good enough for you. Why? Because you and those who share your opinion see the cars as 'digital bits'. Its like saying pokemon cards are nothing but 'paper and ink'. Technically, your correct. But you dont care about the collection side of things so theres no convincing you.

At that point the total disregard you've shown for the entire 15 year history of Gran Turismo disqualifies your opinion.
Let me give you a bit of history:
I had well over a thousand cars in GT5, later pared down to 750 or so when I was trying to speed up load times. I had thousands of paint chips amassed from buying literally hundreds of cars specifically to get the chips, just on the off chance that I might suddenly want to paint 30+ cars Admiral Blue Metallic. I redid seasonal events and purposely lost them so I could get the wacky horns the game had, and get more racing suits for my B-Soec drivers. Those 750-1100 cars made up no more than probably 500 unique models in the car list, since I only bought cars that interested me but bought quite a few examples of the ones that I really liked. Most of those I only bought so I could tune them up the way I wanted and paint them the way I wanted and occasionally even take pictures of them the way I wanted and then drive them once or twice. I bought and built up cars to certain specific PP levels (mainly 450, 540 and 600) on the chance that theoretically something might come up in the game where I wanted to use it. I even bought and built up cars specifically for certain B-Spec driver skillsets when they raced in specific races in the game.
I had hundreds of cars in GT4 that I only bought so I could have something that would be tuned just good enough to race competitively in B-Spec mode, but other than that was just garage or photomode candy. I built dozens of classic cars up so they would be competitive in the 1000 Miles classic endurance race, even against the Cobra, then didn't actually use them so much as admire my handiwork in tuning.
I put literally a hundred plus hours into setting up my GT3 garage, all 200 cars extensively hybrided to my exact desires with the Mkgarageedit tool. Mid-engined, Corvette-powered Del Sols. 3000GT VR4 built exactly to the specs of the 2008 Nissan GT-R, all the way down to suspension settings, hand coded aerodynamic values and closest equivalent wheel sizes. 240SXs with PT Cruiser engines so I could replicate an accurately modeled 240SX. There were cars I put together just so I could be amused when the car specs screen said it had a wildly different but still plausible engine from stock, like V12 powered Supras or Twin Rotor Miatas. At least as much time as I spent racing, just setting up my garage.
Most of my GT2 playing history is building up a dozen or so cars around various imaginary racing series I plan out in my head; at which point I test all of them, sell most of them and start again (hence burning through credits extremely fast). A lot of my cars in GT5, once the power limiter was introduced, were set up along the same lines; since it allowed infinitely more car customization than any game after GT2 did (without hybriding).
I've got 400-500 cars in Forza 4, at least 1/4th of them are duplicates of other cars that I only bought so I could put different liveries on them or group them with cars of equivalent performance/history (and, indeed, how difficult it is to get money after the level bonuses stop is my main grudge with Forza 4). I've got something like 6 Pontiac Fieros in that game, and I only actually drive 2 of them with any regularity.
And yet I still think having (as of GT5's server closure) to put a couple hours of time into a game redoing the same handful of races to purchase a single wildly overpriced race car was pushing things well past the breaking point; and GT6 is still quite a bit worse in that regard, though I got rid of it before they fixed it from being as terrible it was when it launched. So if I'm going to be forced to choose between a wholly linear, grind happy slog through a bunch of chase the rabbit races where the AI basically pulls over to let you past; or just getting all the cars at the start and jumping online, I'm going to choose the latter.

So my best advice to you, before you claim to know anyone else's ulterior reasoning behind playing GT games, would be to think a bit before you make another asinine statement like the "people are just lazy" one from the third page.

Last edited:

And you and everyone else like you are still assuming that a car collecting/ladder climbing mode can't coexist with a mode that allows total freedom.

It happens with collectible card games too. Some people care about the collecting, and so they do. Some people just want to play, so they print out cards and stick them on commons so that they can just play. Or write CHARIZARD on it in marker pen.

Both groups are having fun. What's the problem here? Is the kid with CHARIZARD written in marker somehow devaluing the collector's real Charizard? I think not.

@ironman44321

Thank you for quoting me out of context (See below).

What I was trying to say if it was not that obvious is that GT has serious issues and is very weak as a racing game. I think that buying/grinding/collecting merely acts as a distraction and if they were to take the "collecting" aspect away, people would realize very quickly how awful and boring the game (GT Mode) is. It is a sad thing that buying cars makes up for most of the fun and if you think about it some of the most entertaining challenges in GT6 were with unlocked cars i.e. Senna and Red Bull events.

Part of the charm of the game has always been about collecting stuff. I think that is why although I knew that the A.I. and racing experience was terrible I didn't complain that much about the game. We collected cars by winning pointless races and in GT5 we also had the museum cards, race suits, helmets, etc. Now it is about collecting paint chips which I personally don't care about.

If cars were cheaper, would not have those silly 20mill cars, you would win most cars by winning races or special events and earning credits would be easier then yes I would be happy with having all cars locked from the start.

For online and arcade mode they could have all the cars unlocked from the start, also it would be nice to have a test drive feature in the dealerships I mean, Who buys a car without trying it out first?

Edit: typo

Last edited:
Simply throwing all the cars into ones garage wouldn't work though. For one, your garage would be stuffed full of cars you might not even want that you'd then have to sort through.
Let the players decide the pros and the cons and how ''inconvenient'' that would be for them.

On top of that, you'd only have one of each car.
And that's a bad thing, how?

In order for it to really work you'd have to remove the money system from the game for those players. Which though I don't understand the intricacies of how the game is programmed, seems like a bit of a pain.
You are still be able to (and most likely will need to) buy tuning upgrades. Then you also have the option to customize your car. There's still a reason to keep the in-game economy as is, although the amount of credits you spend will be less than you'd otherwise do.

I've also already said that it would diminish the sense of accomplishment if we could all just choose to have everything upfront.
It would only diminish the sens of accomplishment for the players who choose to do so.

That second one is where the disconnect seems to be. I'm not saying that people might be bummed because other people have all the cars. But when you have the option to get all of the content you would otherwise work for it means you have to choose to have obstacles which could really ruin the sense of accomplishment.
Career mode in itself is and always have been an obstacle for certain things, though mainly for aquiring cars. Having the option to unlock all cars from the very beginning won't change that. It might however reenforce that idea further.

Having the option to unlock all cars from the very beginning is only going to make the game easy for players, and what is the challenge in that. As I said the one and only place for free cars to try is in the Arcade Mode.

Having the option to unlock all cars from the very beginning is only going to make the game easy for players, and what is the challenge in that. As I said the one and only place for free cars to try is in the Arcade Mode.
Although I'm not holding my breath for an answer directly adressing why that is bad and/or not desireable - but do you care to elaborate on that?

I suppose you're also against the concept of having the option between Easy, Medium and Hard difficulty in games - since it will make the game easier (and perhaps even far more enjoyable for the player in question) and what's the challenge in that anyway?

Although I'm not holding my breath for an answer directly adressing why that is bad and/or not desireable - but do you care to elaborate on that?

I suppose you're also against the concept of having the option between Easy, Medium and Hard difficulty in games - since it will make the game easier (and perhaps even far more enjoyable for the player in question) and what's the challenge in that anyway?
He's repeated nearly the exact same thing many times, expecting a different response at this point I believe is considered insanity:crazy::crazy:

If you don't enjoy it, and why are you talking about it, do you want free cars to progress through the game for, is it because the career mode is just to hard for you Johnny, and that is why you want free cars so it can become easy for you and to pick and choose that car for that event for not paying any credits for in the first place which is silly. Another reason why you don't enjoy the career mode Johnny, because you have to do some grinding and you just have to live with it.

It's seems to me that you are ignoring the fact that GT5/GT6 have, in essence, become two separate games. One is the one you are talking about (GT Life), but the other one is Online play (and not primarily Arcade as you seem to think). If someone's focus is Online play, they do not think in terms of progress through GT Life, so they also don't want to make the game easier. In many cases it's actually quite the opposite - career mode is way too easy and they are looking for more fun and more of a challenge online.

By the way, you are also wrong about the career mode. I went through with no grinding whatsoever. I did it because of a twisted urge to complete it, and because some parts of the game had to be unlocked. (another game design flaw)

I can guarantee you that practically nobody that takes part in the racing series of a higher standard online sees ANY car in game as a status symbol or something that had to be (or should have to be) earned through GT Life. Earning credits for most of them is just a tedious means to an end, which is being even able to take part in an online racing event. Why would it be silly to want access to the rich field of cars offered in GT for Online play? Looks to me that it's sillier having to play that other game "GT Life" for 5 hours so one can do something in the Online game. Online is not something you earn as a bonus in game, it's completely separate and different in its concept. That's what GT Life-believers have to understand. You're still looking at the game as if it was GT4.

And again, you're ignoring Online. If you look at some of the past pages in this thread, you will find a couple of suggestions of how all cars could be available for Online and Arcade without any influence on the career mode whatsoever. (Keyword: separate garages)

Having the *option* to *unlock* cars from the very beginning is not going to make any of the racing itself any easier.

This isn't Pokemon, you know.

During my time, young'uns, we had this game called "Counterstrike."

It was the most popular game online ever. Well... most popular game online ever up until that point in time.

No career mode.

No unlockable content.

No unique items.

The only "sense of accomplishment" you got from the game was beating the crap out of everyone else and earning a reputation as a good player.

-

Amazing concept, I know. That millions of players could suffer the delusion that actually winning matches could give the same sense of accomplishment as buying virtual items to show off at the swap meet.

-

Contrawise, for those with the same obsessive compulsive... errh... compulsion as the guy who's bought every single edition of Pokemon just to get those rares and exclusives... you can still have special edition cars, black chromes, unique liveries, etcetera. But stuff you can either win via special events or buy, if you so choose. Not stuff you have to grind for.

-

Remember why everyone likes GT3 the best (well, everyone who was alive and had working thumbs when it came out)? It's because you could complete challenges and win cars. There were expensive cars, but as opposed to grinding for them, you had the option of completing challenging... exciting... racing series to win them. All of them.

Sadly, that's a tradition that GT5 and GT6 dropped, right about the time PD forgot how to design an involving and exciting single player racing experiences. :lol:

Last edited:
I previously suggested to give access to all cars in online mode with limited tuning options and no styling options. Having given it a bit of thought though, it's probably fine to give full tuning options for the cars, just to make all the cars viable for serious online racing.

That's as far as I'd be willing to go, though. Colors, styling, rims, re-paints and the mythical livery editor should still be limited to cars you've actually acquired. Naturally, anything in the game that has ingame money rewards should require vehicles you've spent ingame money to gain access to.

Btw the poll options are too polarized.

I previously suggested to give access to all cars in online mode with limited tuning options and no styling options. Having given it a bit of thought though, it's probably fine to give full tuning options for the cars, just to make all the cars viable for serious online racing.

That's as far as I'd be willing to go, though. Colors, styling, rims, re-paints and the mythical livery editor should still be limited to cars you've actually acquired. Naturally, anything in the game that has ingame money rewards should require vehicles you've spent ingame money to gain access to.

Btw the poll options are too polarized.

Ok, so you went from "online players may use the cars, but not tune them" to "online players may use the cars and tune them, but they are not allowed to have them look as cool as other player's cars who are playing through GT Life"...? That's great, so if a car only comes in one colour in the dealership everyone should drive it in that colour in a racing event. Yeah, like that makes sense.

Apart from the fact that you too seem to be harbouring some superiority complex over players who don't care for GT Life, how does it make sense at all that people do not have access to all colours in game, period? You can make colours expensive, fine, but unavailable?? People have to buy 300,000cr-cars in order to obtain a "paint chip", whatever that may be? If you want a car painted in real life, you go out and pay for it. That's how it should be in GT. You pay for the colour and the work that's being done on the car. Just like for tuning parts.

That doesn't make sense either, though. You say you can make the colors expensive, but how would you pay for an expensive paint job if you didn't play GT-life?

You're also assuming that I think the current paint chip system is a good idea, which I don't really think it is. Furthermore, everyone would have the same color in a racing event only if everyone actually playing in that racing event didn't bother with buying the car and customizing it.

When I started reading this thread, I got the impression that what a lot of people wanted to be able to do was to get into the game and do online races with the cars they wanted right away, without having to spend days in gt life before they were able to afford a car, and then at the same time not be able to even test it out before buying it. Full access to cars and tuning right away would allow them to instantly race against other humans (which is the most important part, right?), and also get an accurate impression of the exact capabilities and potential of every single car.

I also completely understand that those players who are towards the upper end racing skills would be pretty bored by a lot of the races in the career mode, and the career mode should probably be changed up quite a bit, so that it can offer a better challenge for the better players, and also reward great driving skills even more. If you're really good, you shouldn't have to spend all that much time to be able to buy and customize the cars you want. That, along with being able to skip a lot of the lower tier races if you show great skill, would allow for a much quicker access to the harder content, where there should also be a lot better rewards both in the form of money and prize cars.

It's not as much as I have a superiority complex over non-careermode players, but I think it would be a bit of a shame for a very large portion of the game to be left untouched by a lot of players. I'd rather see the career mode improved, and instead of being absolutely required for online play, just function as a way to get superficial, cosmetic changes to their vehicles.

I don't think online enthusiasts are worse players than I am (in skill, they are probably all superior to me!), but I can't help but think that if online is the only relevant part of GT for them, perhaps there are other games that are better tailored to their playstyle.

So, a couple things I've noticed here.

1. You are talking about something more specific than the topic of the thread or the poll. You're saying we should have an option to unlock all of the cars at the start of the game. The thread/poll topic is simply should they all be unlocked at the start of the game.

2. Just because you don't find others peoples reasons valid, doesn't mean they don't count. If someone feels a certain way about this subject but doesn't feel like taking the time to explain it than they have every right to just vote and move on. You are not owed an explanation from anyone.

We're not here to decide how the start of GT7 is going to work. We're just killing time on a forum. Heck, the only reason I've taken part for this long is morbid curiosity.

If you'd like to keep going, feel free. I might reply, might not, depends on how I'm feeling.

(...)

It's not as much as I have a superiority complex over non-careermode players, but I think it would be a bit of a shame for a very large portion of the game to be left untouched by a lot of players. I'd rather see the career mode improved, and instead of being absolutely required for online play, just function as a way to get superficial, cosmetic changes to their vehicles.

I don't think online enthusiasts are worse players than I am (in skill, they are probably all superior to me!), but I can't help but think that if online is the only relevant part of GT for them, perhaps there are other games that are better tailored to their playstyle.

Almost wanted to give you a 'like' until the last two paragraphs.

If the career mode was better, more people would actually enjoy playing it and doing races in it repeatedly. A typical case of "build it and they will come". The way it is now, it caters to the lowest (un-)common denominator. E.g., if they made the payouts in career mode based on PPs of cars used and got rid of the rubberband AI, that would make winning a race actually worth something.

In your last paragraph you're actually saying people should play all of GT or go play something else. I don't think I want to comment that, and just let it stand for itself.

How about the fallacy that any and all grinding is inherently bad?

Some of my favorite moments in video gaming has come from grinding. Grinding in the Mideel Forest in Final Fantasy VII so I could get strong enough to take on the WEAPONs or win in the Battle Arena. Grinding through in-game days and nights in the Twin Peak Mountains of Brave Fencer Musashi.

When I first played Gran Turismo way back in 1998 I remember getting my butt kicked by the AI regularly. Then I discovered this thing called tuning parts which made my car fast enough to beat the early races. I remember going back and using the credits I hard earned to slowly upgrade my car. It didnt feel like a 'grind'. I was living the fantasy of a small time racer upgrading his car so he could compete in the local races. And after a good while I was final able to afford a GT racer and break into the big leagues.

In theory GT's progression has the potential to be amazing, but the execution hasnt quite been there for a while.

Tornado
Let me give you a bit of history:
I had well over a thousand cars in GT5, later pared down to 750 or so when I was trying to speed up load times. I had thousands of paint chips amassed from buying literally hundreds of cars specifically to get the chips, just on the off chance that I might suddenly want to paint 30+ cars Admiral Blue Metallic. I redid seasonal events and purposely lost them so I could get the wacky horns the game had, and get more racing suits for my B-Soec drivers. Those 750-1100 cars made up no more than probably 500 unique models in the car list, since I only bought cars that interested me but bought quite a few examples of the ones that I really liked. Most of those I only bought so I could tune them up the way I wanted and paint them the way I wanted and occasionally even take pictures of them the way I wanted and then drive them once or twice. I bought and built up cars to certain specific PP levels (mainly 450, 540 and 600) on the chance that theoretically something might come up in the game where I wanted to use it. I even bought and built up cars specifically for certain B-Spec driver skillsets when they raced in specific races in the game.
I had hundreds of cars in GT4 that I only bought so I could have something that would be tuned just good enough to race competitively in B-Spec mode, but other than that was just garage or photomode candy. I built dozens of classic cars up so they would be competitive in the 1000 Miles classic endurance race, even against the Cobra, then didn't actually use them so much as admire my handiwork in tuning.
I put literally a hundred plus hours into setting up my GT3 garage, all 200 cars extensively hybrided to my exact desires with the Mkgarageedit tool. Mid-engined, Corvette-powered Del Sols. 3000GT VR4 built exactly to the specs of the 2008 Nissan GT-R, all the way down to suspension settings, hand coded aerodynamic values and closest equivalent wheel sizes. 240SXs with PT Cruiser engines so I could replicate an accurately modeled 240SX. There were cars I put together just so I could be amused when the car specs screen said it had a wildly different but still plausible engine from stock, like V12 powered Supras or Twin Rotor Miatas. At least as much time as I spent racing, just setting up my garage.
Most of my GT2 playing history is building up a dozen or so cars around various imaginary racing series I plan out in my head; at which point I test all of them, sell most of them and start again (hence burning through credits extremely fast). A lot of my cars in GT5, once the power limiter was introduced, were set up along the same lines; since it allowed infinitely more car customization than any game after GT2 did (without hybriding).
I've got 400-500 cars in Forza 4, at least 1/4th of them are duplicates of other cars that I only bought so I could put different liveries on them or group them with cars of equivalent performance/history (and, indeed, how difficult it is to get money after the level bonuses stop is my main grudge with Forza 4). I've got something like 6 Pontiac Fieros in that game, and I only actually drive 2 of them with any regularity.
And yet I still think having (as of GT5's server closure) to put a couple hours of time into a game redoing the same handful of races to purchase a single wildly overpriced race car was pushing things well past the breaking point; and GT6 is still quite a bit worse in that regard, though I got rid of it before they fixed it from being as terrible it was when it launched. So if I'm going to be forced to choose between a wholly linear, grind happy slog through a bunch of chase the rabbit races where the AI basically pulls over to let you past; or just getting all the cars at the start and jumping online, I'm going to choose the latter.

So my best advice to you, before you claim to know anyone else's ulterior reasoning behind playing GT games, would be to think a bit before you make another asinine statement like the "people are just lazy" one from the third page.

lol, asinine. The internet's sneaky passive aggressive way of calling someone stupid because just calling someone stupid outright sounds so bad, doesnt it.

Dont worry, your not lazy. You fall into category #1 from the previous page. You dont like GT mode, a design issue that can be fixed. You just spent a few paragraphs telling me that.

Imari
And you and everyone else like you are still assuming that a car collecting/ladder climbing mode can't coexist with a mode that allows total freedom.

It happens with collectible card games too. Some people care about the collecting, and so they do. Some people just want to play, so they print out cards and stick them on commons so that they can just play. Or write CHARIZARD on it in marker pen.

Both groups are having fun. What's the problem here? Is the kid with CHARIZARD written in marker somehow devaluing the collector's real Charizard? I think not.

Both modes will eventually collide online. You cant bring your homemade Charizard to a tournament. And you shouldnt be able to bring your freebie car online, either. At that point Im having a very difficult time justifying the existence of twin modes in Gran Turismo, the sandbox and a GT Life.

I'd agree to all cars available to race in arcade mode, and even in an 'event creator' mode that could be used to earn credits. GT Life and Online are exclusive to cars you have purchased and upgraded with credits.

In GT5 online I remember racing against this guy who had a race modded 60s Camaro. I was like 'where did he get that'? There was a certain amount of fun factor added to the game that I simply couldnt just jump into the same car he had. Now what if he was in a different 'mode' that allowed him to just jump into any of the cars he wanted and fix it up anyway he wanted? So yeah hes hurting my enjoyment of the game. Cant tell you enough how annoyed I was when I went online early in GT5 to get my butt smoked and ran over by a bunch of losers in Zondas, one of the cars available to anyone online.

Having the *option* to *unlock* cars from the very beginning is not going to make any of the racing itself any easier.
Players who did the money glitch made the game easy for them in GT6, so they can buy all the cars they want and pick and choose that car for that race. The GT5 garage editor made the game easy for me.

And again, you're ignoring Online. If you look at some of the past pages in this thread, you will find a couple of suggestions of how all cars could be available for Online and Arcade without any influence on the career mode whatsoever. (Keyword: separate garages)
You do not need a separate garage for online use, You only need one garage and that's all you need is just one for your cars 👍. If you want free cars go to the arcade mode.

Back