Make of this what you will! Edge interview Kaz

  • Thread starter Thread starter GTXLR
  • 83 comments
  • 4,565 views
Messages
1,391
Messages
GTP_GTXLR
Messages
gtxlr
Got this from GTX.

Edge went to Polyphony's new HQ somewhere near Yokohama, to find out what has been happening with the long-delayed GT4.

In B-spec (management) mode you can follow the race either from replay view, or a statistics screen that shows the positions of all the cars and their tyre / fuel status in real-time. You can enter tuned (garage) cars in the races, and time can be accelerated.

PD considered releasing a 'GT3: B-spec' including the management mode, to follow 'GT3: A-spec' in Japan, but decided that a second game with the same cars and tracks wouldn't be original enough to sell.

The GT4 network code is fully developed. The excuses given for not rolling it out are that it's not a big deal in Japan (?) and that it will take a lot of time and effort to set up a suitable network of servers to support online play, especially in Europe. 'First we need to sell GT4, and then we'll work on building an online play service with adequate play conditions'.

Basically, Sony doesn't have anything like Xbox live, and without that it's going to take PD ages to set up their own servers worldwide.

But there's worse: "The online version will not be released any time soon after GT4, because we want to maximise the game sales".

In any case, it seems like they haven't even started sorting out suitable servers. I will be surprised if PD manage to produce GT4 Online before Sony launch PS3, especially in Europe...

Better news - 'GT 1 to 3 shared the same physics engine, but we've rebuilt it from scratch for GT4'. Also, the AI is said to be less aggressive, more natural, and more polite. I guess this means cars not grinding into each other as they converge on the first corner, but falling into line. Yamauchi-san reckons that the car physics are now 'good enough', and it's time to work on the AI. B-spec is as much as anything, an ongoing 'laboratory' for them to improve AI. But don't expect too much - he reckons that GT4 AI is at 'one or two percent of what would be a satisfying level', and that it will take the next ten years to get really good AI. Er... right then.

GT4 on PSP is planned to have the same physics, but the reduced graphical power may mean that the number of cars on track is reduced to 4, or maybe only 2 or 3.

Cars - 650 cars, including 'more than 200' from previous games.

GT development - at all points in the game's development, it is playable. So GT4 has been progressively 'evolved' from GT3, presumably going through various intermediate points on the way.

There are lots of pics of the new HQ as well as a few from the game, showing drag racing etc.


AI? Online? I think I feel sick :yuck:
The Promise seems to be fading away fast.
O.K good new physics, New cars and tracks, but what about racing?
 
AI- :indiff:

Online- :guilty:

Total Article- :irked:
 
Well if the network code is fully developed as they say, then perhaps we'll have better luck with tunnelling than we thought.

Kaz is probably being over-critical of himself when he says the AI is one-two percent of a satsfying level. It'll be better than GT3 in any case.
 
The online part is pure bull****.

Sony Europe have perfectly good servers ready and waiting to be abused, complete drivel the lot of it. :yuck:
 
But don't expect too much - he reckons that GT4 AI is at 'one or two percent of what would be a satisfying level', and that it will take the next ten years to get really good AI. Er... right then.

Lol, :lol: let me laugh. Heck, Forza is coming out in February and there are some high chances the AI will be a lot better than what GT4 will offer and all of this on their first try. All you have to do is hire the right specialists. And to those who will say that the Forza video with the 350Z shows the cars ramming each other like stupid , that video was made specifically to show damages, so the pilots wanted to hit each other to create havoc and simulate coolisions.

See ya :sly:
 
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I think that Mr. Yamauchi is just teasing us! :crazy: I really believe that he got something up his sleeves that will be thrown at our face to make us CELEBRATE! :crazy: :dunce: :O My expectation of GT4 is going higher and higher every week as the "suppose" release date gets closer. We will have to see what comes!

Past is History! Future is Mystery!
 
McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :O :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

I think that Mr. Yamauchi is just teasing us! :crazy: I really believe that he got something up his sleeves that will be thrown at our face to make us CELEBRATE! :crazy: :dunce: :O My expectation of GT4 is going higher and higher every week as the "suppose" release date gets closer. We will have to see what comes!

Past is History! Future is Mystery!

:odd:
 
IMO, there is a lot of speculation going around, and it's too much. PD is full of surprises, and you never know what they are going to do next. We're better off waiting for the game to come out and be played before any of us can truly judge the game AI wise at least.
 
Theres no online for ages and if the AI is still usless, then it is just as well its still called "The Real Driving Simulator" Not the "Real Racing Simulator"
 
Something is wrong here... Sony have had more people online at once than live has had, and heaps of people play socomII. Surly GT4 can go online?
 
It sounds like PD working on the AI was something of an afterthought. "Now" they can start working on the AI? Now!? Well what the hell have they been doing all this GD time!

Sheesh. PD, if somebody from PD is reading this, spend a little extra money and get a team of people who's sole purpose is working on the AI. It's a shame you even admit that the AI is only at 2%. The AI is more important than you realize.
 
I6-4-eva
Who is Edge?
paperedge2.jpg
 
I've been on the Sony european beta-trial for online gaming for nearly two years and the servers here work fine. I can't believe that SCEJ is behind us technologically...
 
I don't understand the 2% thing about AI, are they trying to make the AI actually drive the car by inputting throttle, brake and steering into the same physical system that the player uses? If so, I think that could be an explanation. In most games the AI don't drive the cars really, they just go around on rails at a certain pre-set speed, with an infinite amount of grip.
 
okoj
I've been on the Sony european beta-trial for online gaming for nearly two years and the servers here work fine. I can't believe that SCEJ is behind us technologically...

I think when they say that in Japan online gaming isn't very big, they're probably referring to driving games in particular, and that's then partly explained by the tinyness of Xbox over there. Games like Final Fantasy have a decent online following, but he has a point that the online part of the market is still a fraction of the total market. However, what he fails to realise is that GT4 would have had a tremendous impact on that. Or he does realise it but is just talking out of his ...

Team Xlink, you are our only hope ...
 
I6-4-eva
Who is Edge?

Kaniyodrift

loool

Edge is a UK based multiformat games magazine, they are pretty big fans of the GT series. I remember buying their mag because it had info on GT2 months before any other source did.
 
Race Idiot
loool

Edge is a UK based multiformat games magazine, they are pretty big fans of the GT series. I remember buying their mag because it had info on GT2 months before any other source did.

They should have sent the wrestler to do the interview, he may have got some real answers out of Kaz ;)
 
GTXLR
You can enter tuned (garage) cars in the races
Did he specify how many?

Only "your" car? Or choose all 6 out of your garage?
 
Buggy Boy
Did he specify how many?

Only "your" car? Or choose all 6 out of your garage?

I would assume that as b spec is an option given before each and every race in GT4 (apparently you will be able to complete all events without actually driving!), you will only select your own car, and the other cars will be selected the same way as if you were driving.
 
Solid Lifters
It sounds like PD working on the AI was something of an afterthought. "Now" they can start working on the AI? Now!? Well what the hell have they been doing all this GD time!

Sheesh. PD, if somebody from PD is reading this, spend a little extra money and get a team of people who's sole purpose is working on the AI. It's a shame you even admit that the AI is only at 2%. The AI is more important than you realize.
It's shameful, isn't it? I cannot understand or believe it either.


By the way, does Edge magazine got a website? I couldn't find any.
 
Ok, so the AI still seems to be crap, and online mode is not coming any soon. Team Xlink, be prepared!
 
GTXLR
I would assume that as b spec is an option given before each and every race in GT4 (apparently you will be able to complete all events without actually driving!), you will only select your own car, and the other cars will be selected the same way as if you were driving.
Thx! - but a missed chance it is.
 
F310B
I don't understand the 2% thing about AI, are they trying to make the AI actually drive the car by inputting throttle, brake and steering into the same physical system that the player uses? If so, I think that could be an explanation. In most games the AI don't drive the cars really, they just go around on rails at a certain pre-set speed, with an infinite amount of grip.
See, that was exactly the problem with the GT3 AI. They're trying to make it better.

Arwin
I think when they say that in Japan online gaming isn't very big, they're probably referring to driving games in particular, and that's then partly explained by the tinyness of Xbox over there. Games like Final Fantasy have a decent online following, but he has a point that the online part of the market is still a fraction of the total market. However, what he fails to realise is that GT4 would have had a tremendous impact on that. Or he does realise it but is just talking out of his ...
Sometimes I wonder if Kaz even realizes that North America exists...
 
Sven
Sometimes I wonder if Kaz even realizes that North America exists...
With Muscle Cars and Drag Racing in the game, I have a strong hint that he does...
 
Sven
Sometimes I wonder if Kaz even realizes that North America exists...
Yes he does. The question is: Does he care? :P
 
...so they admit they've basically done near bugger all to the AI. A flaw ever since GT1. Now you may say its a 'driving simulator' but a majority of GT is about racing various cars against eachother! And this is given little thought... :rolleyes: , instead they waste time on photo mode & B-Spec, niether of which improves the 'driving' element & release countless demos... I mean I could've lived with crap AI if there had been online, but sounds like we'll have to wait for that (again).

The vast amount of cars is nice, especially the inclusion of Volvos & 2nd hand EU/US cars (by the sound of it) is all well and good, but what happened to really moving on the GT series???

Oh I see, GT5 on the PS3... :grumpy: I think PD should be careful since their competition is getting better & better
 
T5-R
...so they admit they've basically done near bugger all to the AI. A flaw ever since GT1. Now you may say its a 'driving simulator' but a majority of GT is about racing various cars against eachother! And this is given little thought... :rolleyes: , instead they waste time on photo mode & B-Spec, niether of which improves the 'driving' element & release countless demos... I mean I could've lived with crap AI if there had been online, but sounds like we'll have to wait for that (again).

The vast amount of cars is nice, especially the inclusion of Volvos & 2nd hand EU/US cars (by the sound of it) is all well and good, but what happened to really moving on the GT series???

Oh I see, GT5 on the PS3... :grumpy: I think PD should be careful since their competition is getting better & better

you guys are making photo mode and b spec to be more then what htey are, they did not take a lot of development time, in fact, I would not be suprised if the core element of B-Spec is the replay function, with the ability to command the car you drive, period, there really isn't much more to it, just a few added features.

And photomode is extremely easy also, all it does is give the user control of the camera (which is already in the game) and allow them to add in different effects that would not have taken long at all, it's pretty simple.

So this whole "they wasted time with this" eh, it wasn't much time, and even if that time would have been dedicated to AI, it wouldn't have made a huge difference, AI is difficult to program.

Side Note: To the gentleman who spoke about Forza and it's AI and how the purpose of the 350Z video was to get hit. Regardless, the AI will does not avoid parked cars. And I seriously doubt that changing the level will alter their ability to avoid you, it will only make them drive better on the track following the race line. It would be easy for them to set a race line with preset speeds and brake input for each car since there aren't a whole lot of them, and consider it "AI"...but I doubt that it will be better than GT4, just from what I've seen.
 
My Lord...

AI will probably suck...
Online will take a long time to complete...

Too bad for PD, GT4, and fans... I'll be playing Forza in the meanwhile...

tha_con
Side Note: To the gentleman who spoke about Forza and it's AI and how the purpose of the 350Z video was to get hit. Regardless, the AI will does not avoid parked cars. And I seriously doubt that changing the level will alter their ability to avoid you, it will only make them drive better on the track following the race line. It would be easy for them to set a race line with preset speeds and brake input for each car since there aren't a whole lot of them, and consider it "AI"...but I doubt that it will be better than GT4, just from what I've seen.

From what you've seen.... It's only a demo... BTW, the AI should be vastly improved over the PGR2 AI, which was pretty good... Cars were aggresive, and they did avoid parked cars, try it out for yourself... And MS hired a guy who has on PhD in AI and Robot physics, so we'll see the real AI when the game ships...
 
Back