manual or atomatic

• Thread starter hbc98
  • 65 comments
Manual is faster, automatic is simpler. Depends on the racer. I just started using manual, and it's hard in some of the faster cars, and on tracks like Nurburgring.

Manual is the only way to be competitive. You have much more control. At first I see people struggling but eventually it becomes natural.

Manual will make you faster. It gives you more control of the car. At first it's a bit aggravating, but give it a week or two and it'll be second nature.

i switched to manual since i couldn't pas the s-5 licence, i had to train for about 1h30 to get grip of it.
i wanted to learn in a fast car so i drove around 1h30 in an audi R10 because it only has 5 gears, so a good and fast car to practice in it
it sure as hell gives you faster laps

I have been using manual sense GT2, and I drive a manual car in real life. Gives you much better control over the car and makes it more fun (in my opinion). The only time I use automatic transmission in GT is grinding the test track on GTPSP for money.

Manual. Go back to lower PP events to get the hang of it. Very soon you will not even think about it, much more immersive - like real world manual gear changing is a much more immersive. Might as well be driving a golf buggy with auto.

(If you are living in N.Korea, or Iran, then 'atomatic' is probably preferable?)

Manual. Go back to lower PP events to get the hang of it. Very soon you will not even think about it, much more immersive - like real world manual gear changing is a much more immersive. Might as well be driving a golf buggy with auto.

(If you are living in N.Korea, or Iran, then 'atomatic' is probably preferable?)

Punny, but seriously, North Korea is so messed up right now, something has to be done.

Manual trannys all the way, plus in GT downshifting to a redline won't break your engine!

Auto. I can gold everything easy enough with that.

You must be thinking of SRF, I find it boring and a tad bit more difficult to use an automatic.

Since I don't have a steering wheel and gear box I use automatic. Once I get a wheel and box I wil go manual.

Though it is possible to 'emulate' manual using the throttle.

I actually never used the MT until GT5P, I didn't care to use it at all in GT1-2. In GT3-4, if you held down either L2 or R2, it would hold that gear and you didn't really need to use the manual. In GT5P, I tried for real and wondered why I never used it before.

AT < MT

I actually never used the MT until GT5P, I didn't care to use it at all in GT1-2. In GT3-4, if you held down either L2 or R2, it would hold that gear and you didn't really need to use the manual. In GT5P, I tried for real and wondered why I never used it before.

AT < MT

I remember that feature. Not for holding gear, but for redlining a bit past the limiter in Auto.

Personally I only use automatic but manual is much better as it gives you much better control of the car and makes cornering much faster...with auto, you are limited to when the program decides you need to change gear, with manual, you change gear when you want so you can do things like shortshifting to control wheelspin or using the gearbox as a secondary brake etc. I only use auto as I don't have the concentration to remember to change gears (have used manual for the eco challenges and kept forgetting about the gears!). If I was in a position to have a wheel and pedals, then I'd choose manual any day

I don't know how many of you have driven a nice sports cars or muscle cars, but if you have and you have driven both manual and automatic, then you know the manual trans is the most fun, and you have the most control. also in most all cases the manual will be quicker cause you can take the rpm up to where the max hp is. automatic is set to change gears before it reach its max hp range. SOOO the same is true in the game, manual is just much more fun and quicker than automatic. its not that hard to learn, and doesn't take that long. I started learning on forza 2 and never went back to auto. so have fun and go manual.

I have a Logitech Driving Force GT wheel, and a few days ago started using manual (only sequential, as there is no clutch or h-pattern on the wheel), and it is a lot more fun. Takes a few days to get used to, but 100% worth it.

I drive an automatic in real life right now, but for racing, I'd prefer a manual any day, DS3 or wheel. Short shifting, tranny braking, etc give an obvious advantage in terms of performance. Been using MT mode in GT since about 6 months into GT5, even while I was still using the DS3. With a wheel, hands down MT over auto. (fwiw, on DS3... map paddles for throttle and brake, buttons (L/R) for shift down/up.)

Manual, it increases the speed of the car, and it is a whole lot more fun than A/T, because you are controlling the gearbox, not the computer..

MT for 15 years now.

I have to thank an old friend for convincing me to start using it back in the olden days. Never looked back since. Thanks Simon 👍.

I always used to use a manual, then one day I was playing NFS and decided to have a try. It became second nature, automatic feels wrong now.

I have used manual since GT3, and a wheel, so I can't even drive fast using auto (or a controller) anymore. It screws up my braking, cornering and acceleration completely.

Back