"Manufacturing Issue" - Personal Account of a meeting - also interesting thought.

• Thread starter JDigital
  • 90 comments
All they could tell me was the delay was in manufacturing, not in the source code to the game itself[/I]

All I can say is that JDigital is on the right track with the info.

This fits with the Porsche theory - not a problem with the game itself, but the timing to produce cars of a recently added Porsche :P
Now that would really be nice

I posted whilst on the first page and before it was cleared up. Was it A PEGI rating or American?

In America, ratings are made by ESRB, and as far as I can recall, GT5 passed already that certification ("mild language" because of the lyrics of a couple of songs in the soundtrack list).

As for the "big secret content" and "production delays"... GT5 taking 2 blu-rays ?

RE: "Big Secret"

Maybe something that hasn't been considered yet from the "creation" side of things? I know we've got the forthcoming Track Editor, but maybe something more along the lines of a Car Editor?

And I don't mean like tweaking the ride height or camber angles or swapping out spoilers. I mean more along the lines of a from-the-ground-up vehicle creator. PD essentially made their own car with the X1 (I think that's what it's called... have a head cold clouding my memory right now). Doesn't seem too far-fetched, even though I think it would be absolutely insane to provide the creation tools that would make the user-created vehicles seem close to the level of the included in-game vehicles.

OK, I'll go back to my hole, now...

One of the best ideas i've ever heard, now never mention it again or they'll try and make it into GT6 and it'll never be finished!!

As a whole though, it wouldn't be that difficult to create. I think it would be simple enough to do if its based on using existing cars.

I would imagine you would pick a style of chassis, then stretch it in whatever dimensions you want. Add the drivetrain and multiple choice suspension, pick an engine from any of the 1000 cars in the game, and thats your basic physics done. The system is already smart enough to adjust based on suspension etc, as we have seen in previous GT tuning selections.
As for aerodynamics, we've seen the wind tunnel, as long as what your after is based on a similar shape to what already exists it really should be simple.

Damn, it real is a good idea.

One of the best ideas i've ever heard, now never mention it again or they'll try and make it into GT6 and it'll never be finished!!

As a whole though, it wouldn't be that difficult to create. I think it would be simple enough to do if its based on using existing cars.

I would imagine you would pick a style of chassis, then stretch it in whatever dimensions you want. Add the drivetrain and multiple choice suspension, pick an engine from any of the 1000 cars in the game, and thats your basic physics done. The system is already smart enough to adjust based on suspension etc, as we have seen in previous GT tuning selections.
As for aerodynamics, we've seen the wind tunnel, as long as what your after is based on a similar shape to what already exists it really should be simple.

Damn, it real is a good idea.

This was sort of done in Supercar Street Challenge. It was a blast creating your own car and setting the handling and speed and all that. Load times were HORRIBLY SLOW though.

This was sort of done in Supercar Street Challenge. It was a blast creating your own car and setting the handling and speed and all that. Load times were HORRIBLY SLOW though.

As long as PD had a limited number of variables, and didn't go down the avenue of letting people go mad with over the top liveries then loading times really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Must have a search for that game, i really like the concept.

As long as PD had a limited number of variables, and didn't go down the avenue of letting people go mad with over the top liveries then loading times really shouldn't be too much of a problem.

It's an old PS2 game. It was pretty fun for a while, but like I said those load times took forever lol. Good news is you can probably find it for about $5 now...

I like the idea too, and analog's free-roam mode (I remember posting about how it would be cool and unlikely for GT4!)

I thought that kit-cars, (after rifling through the engine swap thread) would be quite cool i.e. pick one off the shelf and spec the engine, drivetrain and suspension etc. - but designing one from the ground up would be brilliant! Of course, there'd be a slew of rocket sleds, but hey :P

SSC was also for the PC, which might be better in certain aspects, viz. faster loading times, graphics etc.

Wow, surprised this thread turned into what it is, but also quite pleased =D

Some very interesting ideas have been thrown out so far and quite a few of them seem pretty plausible.

Adding Porsche would certainly make a lot of sense and explain a lot, but would not explain the Japan delay.

The car creator is pretty interesting, but again.. would not really explain this... although it is awesome, I'd have a hard time believing this was the issue.

The manufacturing part of it is what really throws me, they aren't exactly amateurs in pressing blu-rays so I highly doubt it has to do with any disc.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see some awesome hardware accessory...
Maybe a full VR helmet system... able to literally look all around... MMMmmmmm

Well I wouldn't expect that a "Car Creator" would be a justifiable reason for a delay at this point. Not by any means. Just was throwing that out there as a "big secret" that could have been kept up until this point.

I still hope the 'secret' is a livery editor! I can see myself spending hours tuning a hot hatch into a racing car and giving it the looks to match!

Wow, surprised this thread turned into what it is, but also quite pleased =D

Some very interesting ideas have been thrown out so far and quite a few of them seem pretty plausible.

Adding Porsche would certainly make a lot of sense and explain a lot, but would not explain the Japan delay.

The car creator is pretty interesting, but again.. would not really explain this... although it is awesome, I'd have a hard time believing this was the issue.

The manufacturing part of it is what really throws me, they aren't exactly amateurs in pressing blu-rays so I highly doubt it has to do with any disc.

I really wouldn't be surprised to see some awesome hardware accessory...
Maybe a full VR helmet system... able to literally look all around... MMMmmmmm

Sorry JDigital, I posted on page 2 what Amar said at neogaf (About his reply to you) and he said the "big secret" that Kaz was hiding was the course maker.

Though I'm sure there will be other surprises........

I guess everyone missed my post below on page two>>>
and now on the front News page, they talk about this:

Manufacturing issues?? Is it due to the fact that SONY/PD wants to protect the game from illegal copies/duplications of it?

In order to make money and ensure a return on investment, Sony has to stay ahead of the game, and prevent by any means possible to render blu-ray copy and piratage impossible.
and that means a front of the line, state of the art manufacturing process of making blu-ray games secure enough to make impossible for duplication.

Am i warmer there Amar?

Posted Here, after Amar pointed us to the right tracK:
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=131420&page=2#post4056012

Maybe the big secret is a gt5 helmet with a screen instead of a visor.
OR gt5 is going to be move compatible with a wheel holder being made available for the move controller, Just a thought.

Where is Deve?! :lol:

I'm here!!! What did I miss?

I made some considerations and these are my two cents (please Amar let me know if I should add more ;) ).

The following may be really a crazy idea as well as a good guess...
who knows...

What is really still missing in the Real Driving Simulator?
To be a simulator the "play seat" should mimic the seat in a car. Ok, G Force is probably not going to happen but seat movements is possible.
Some movie theaters in the US (I don't know in Europe) have moving seats (D-Box is the brand) that reacts according to the scenes.
I have never tried them but if we imagine to have a moving seat, as well as a base on the ground, both able to move and to vibrate...
3d and head tracking...
That would be a real revolution... or at least it would start one

The GT JP site announcing the delay writes:
「PlayStation®3 GRAN TURISMO 5 RACING PACK ]

Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 or ...
Racing Pack = a bundle GT5+wheel+PS3 + something more interesting?

EDIT : Racing Pack = GT5+PS3 (blue edition) .
Thanks bullie77

I have said for a long time that acceleration feedback is the next big thing for sims... forcefeedback was great and acceleration feedback is for sure the next huge step.

Sadly I believe Dbox specifically approached PD about working with GT5 and they were shut down. It doesn't mean someone else isn't in line or something similar isn't in the pipes, but I am not getting my hopes up on that front... with motion simultors starting in the low thousands and quickly ramping up plus the space requirements to use one I just can't see them being the big thing for GT5...

Last edited:
Could do it on the cheap all you need is a fan some glassess and a wobbly chair Oh and a helper

its a roller coaster but you get the idea.
the fanatec gt3 rs wheel has ff on the brake pedal.

Could do it on the cheap all you need is a fan some glassess and a wobbly chair Oh and a helper

its a roller coaster but you get the idea.
the fanatec gt3 rs wheel has ff on the brake pedal.

Just need a friend who knows to tip you to the outside of a turn instead of the inside and can handle the job for an enduro :D

GOT IT :) - "Production" issue, but not "manufacturing"

Fits in with JPN launch delay too, which was just after the "alleged" expiry date of the exclusive Porsche tie in with EA...

PD have been beavering away "producing" a full portfolio of Porsches

Wouldn't this just be a real nice surprise!

If the dates do coincide this could very well be one damn good reason to sit tight for a few more weeks.

Hmm 959 vs F40 now that's the clash of the titans 1987 style!

Wouldn't this just be a real nice surprise!

If the dates do coincide this could very well be one damn good reason to sit tight for a few more weeks.

Hmm 959 vs F40 now that's the clash of the titans 1987 style!

I just think back to when they added cars to Prologue. If it was just this holding it back don't you think they would release the game and put Porsches in with an update?

I wished Sony produced enough to honor the Collectors and Signature Edition pre orders, and then the rest can wait!
People who pre ordered these more expensive packs deserve that at the very least...

Honestly, i think it got delayed due to the security Vulnerability in the PS3 firmware, i mean can you imagine seeing GT5 released and 3 days later, you are able to download it off of some illegal site and play it on your PS3? it would mean huge losses and embarrassment for Sony as GT5 is meant to allow for alot of PS3's to be sold along with the game 👍 maybe they delayed it because they didn't have enough PS3's :sly:

I know some of you will want to kill me for this, but I really think it is the inclusion of F1. Not the license for F1, but some of the cars. I'm still going crazy trying to figure out why that pic with Kaz and Adrian Newey had the Virgin Car. Plus, we are already suspecting that one of the Red Bull F1 cars is in.

Plus, Amar showed up when that pic was posted. He said something like, "you really think they would have accidentally put that in the press pics?" (sorry if my paraphrasing is off)

PAL games are being made in DADC factories in Austria and UK, USA games in New Jersey and somewhere else (I'm not into Google at this point of the morning :)), while NTSC Asia and JP games are made in Asian/JP mastering facilities.
Well, then I suppose USA delay is just a Jersey thing (see latest South Park) :lol:

Maybe Logitech is making an add on for the DFGT? A shifter and clutch pedal? Or a new Gran turismo wheel?
I'm thinking that Logitech will indeed make a premium DFGT as well as a new G-something which has all the controls available for GT5 in a more sensible layout. I'm also thinking they'll include levers for turn signals, wipers and lights. But this won't be a cause for any delays.

Back