Matte paint makes your car faster?

• Thread starter Novalee
  • 45 comments
Well that does it, I'm looking for some speed hole decals to put on the hood of my gr.3 tonight.

There is at least one bullet hole decal uploaded, I have one saved in my decals. :)

Love the Simpsons gif, that’s one of the all time classic episodes!! :D

In the real world matte paint might have a small aerodynamic advantage. The theory is that the rough surface creates a “boundary layer” of turbulent air. The rest of the air flow then flows around this boundary layer with less disturbance/turbulence and drag. It works in a similar way to the shark skin suits that Olympic swimmers were wearing a few years ago to reduce drag.

Have they modelled this in the game?..... NO

Last edited:
I wanted to laugh about it, and comparing it to Ferrari's 2019 F1 campaign with matte paint.

Back on track, I don't think matte paint surface accounts for the aerodynamics in the environment factor in GT Sport yet. If it's really proven to be faster, probably everyone would be doing Matte Turismo Sport instead. But it's all about the balance between speed and cornering ain't it?

In the real world matte paint might have a small aerodynamic advantage. The theory is that the rough surface creates a “boundary layer” of turbulent air. The rest of the air flow then flows around this boundary layer with less disturbance/turbulence and drag. ...

This is interesting, never heard that before. Can you provide some source ?

As for the matte paints in Formula 1, Ferrari and Red Bull don't use it for aerodynamic reasons but for saving a bit of weight afaik ... and probably spend that again for stiffening, balancing etc. the car.

In the real world matte paint might have a small aerodynamic advantage. The theory is that the rough surface creates a “boundary layer” of turbulent air. The rest of the air flow then flows around this boundary layer with less disturbance/turbulence and drag. It works in a similar way to the shark skin suits that Olympic swimmers were wearing a few years ago to reduce drag.

Aero drag is a complex beast, a turbulent boundary layer is preferable in some situations to manage air flow, but it would increase friction drag and the turbulence in the boundary layer itself causes drag also. If flow separation is not much of a problem (in higher pressure areas) where the boundary layer remains nice and laminar, that has benefits. In practice, I think the differences are tiny considering the comparatively massive forces involved thanks to form drag. I'm no expert though, I just think we'd see more dimpled and matte painted racing cars and airliners if it was automatically a better solution.

Last edited:
Guys, you're doing it all wrong. The secret is speed holes. Slap on some bullet hole decals and watch your cars move like the wind.
Makes sence since the air would pass through the car as opposed to having to go around it. Gonna put as many bullet holes as possible on all my cars. ☺

Aero drag is a complex beast, a turbulent boundary layer is preferable in some situations to manage air flow, but it would increase friction drag and the turbulence in the boundary layer itself causes drag also. If flow separation is not much of a problem (in higher pressure areas) where the boundary layer remains nice and laminar, that has benefits. In practice, I think the differences are tiny considering the comparatively massive forces involved thanks to form drag. I'm no expert though, I just think we'd see more dimpled and matte painted racing cars and airliners if it was automatically a better solution.
Yeah, what he said :)
It’s very complex and the gains are minimal. A combination of gloss and matte paint would probably be the ideal. So that you could intentionally trip the flow in certain areas.
The weird thing is I know you’re all imagining the classic image of the air flowing over the car but in real life the air is static (or nearly static in ideal circumstances) and the car is smashing headlong into a wall of air that apparently gets more viscous the faster you go. It’s all massively complicated and very interesting.

Ferrari switched to matte only for its weight savings. A few hundred grams if I remember correctly. No idea what sparked the aero discussion, but it’s got nothing to do with that.

Chrome paint makes you faster....:sly:

3UeSFph.gif

No.

I'm doing something else right now for a GTP article, so I just happen to be testing car speeds at SSRX. I'm measuring two of the four straight sectors and the top speed. I was testing the Mustang Gr.4, on circuit BOP (not oval BOP), so when I was done I hopped out, painted it P8 Matte and went back to do the same test.

Mustang Gr.4, standard paint:
Top Speed - 171mph
S1 - 1'06.926
S2 - 1'05.925
S4 - 1'06.220
S5 - 1'06.218

Mustang Gr.4, P8 Matte
Top Speed - 171mph
S1 - 1'06.928
S2 - 1'05.924
S4 - 1'06.220
S5 - 1'06.219

That's 0mph faster and 0.002s slower over 20km (each straight sector is 10km) for the P8 Matte car, equating to a 0.001mph difference at over 168mph, and thus of no statistical significance.

Or "tripe".

it was intended as a April fools joke and to see how many people start running a matte pink car for extra performance!

No.

I'm doing something else right now for a GTP article, so I just happen to be testing car speeds at SSRX. I'm measuring two of the four straight sectors and the top speed. I was testing the Mustang Gr.4, on circuit BOP (not oval BOP), so when I was done I hopped out, painted it P8 Matte and went back to do the same test.

Mustang Gr.4, standard paint:
Top Speed - 171mph
S1 - 1'06.926
S2 - 1'05.925
S4 - 1'06.220
S5 - 1'06.218

Mustang Gr.4, P8 Matte
Top Speed - 171mph
S1 - 1'06.928
S2 - 1'05.924
S4 - 1'06.220
S5 - 1'06.219

That's 0mph faster and 0.002s slower over 20km (each straight sector is 10km) for the P8 Matte car, equating to a 0.001mph difference at over 168mph, and thus of no statistical significance.

Or "tripe".

I ran this P8 Matte test , eliminating human error in a proper speed test car (SRT X) and these were my results:

Custom race , AT transmission , 2 cars on grid , start in 1st place , first 2 sector times of SSRX

P8 Matte

I ran this P8 Matte test , eliminating human error in a proper speed test car (SRT X) and these were my results:

Custom race , AT transmission , 2 cars on grid , start in 1st place , first 2 sector times of SSRX

P8 Matte
What is the matte color of the car?

Back