Maybach Night Edition is a $250,000 Ode to the AMG V12

giphy.gif

Honestly Mercedes why do you do this, not really exclusive when you can spec a Mercedes in a similar way, at that level of luxury & price point and save yourself some cash.

Last edited:
TIL a luxury brand needs to have a luxury sub-brand.
It also has a sporting sub-brand. Mercedes reorganised in 2017 to have Mercedes-Benz as the main product, Mercedes-Maybach as a high luxury brand to compete with Bentley (VW) and Rolls-Royce (BMW), and Mercedes-AMG for sporty stuff.

All three brands sell the S-Class, with the Mercedes-Benz S650, the Mercedes-Maybach S650, and the Mercedes-AMG S65 all using this AMG V12 Biturbo.

I just feel sad that we'll have no more V12 S-Classes... such cool cars. Refined and luxurious yet powerful enough to put shivers down a Corvette's back... I assume emission reductions and costs are pushing Mercedes to use a smaller, more efficient engine in the next model, or even a hybrid as standard. I'm not discouraging progress, just mourning the last AMG V12 (outside of Pagani, at least)

Best joke ever!!! You call that a spoiler!?!?!

Haven driven an S class many times, the interior to this is hardly touched. Seems such a waste.

Haven driven an S class many times, the interior to this is hardly touched. Seems such a waste.
Yep, it's pretty much CF inserts, a two-tone leather you can't normally get, extended ambient light package and the full executive rear seat package.

Thanks to the new ridiculously draconian EU emission legislations many of the great European performance cars are now having to be neutered with OPF filters, exhaust noise limiters and even just the binning of larger engines. As well as saying goodbye to the V12 the Merc V8 is also on the chopping block.

I don't really understand Maybach. It's not outwardly distinguishable from a normal Mercedes for those wanting to display their conspicuous consumption, and it doesn't appear leaps and bound more special from an intrinsic ownership perspective. They appear to sell, so somebody is finding value...but I'm curious to know what that value is. AMG is obvious. This? I don't get it. If it was super conspicuous (the old Maybachs looked different at least) I'd see the point.

I don't really understand Maybach. It's not outwardly distinguishable from a normal Mercedes for those wanting to display their conspicuous consumption, and it doesn't appear leaps and bound more special from an intrinsic ownership perspective. They appear to sell, so somebody is finding value...but I'm curious to know what that value is. AMG is obvious. This? I don't get it. If it was super conspicuous (the old Maybachs looked different at least) I'd see the point.

I think the value comes from it's price point pure and simple, its the most expensive luxury Mercedes you can buy and that's enough to sell it to the type of people buying it. I agree that Maybach made more sense as a standalone thing with it's own look but the name couldn't carry it, whereas a trim level on a known brand can.

Back