Mazda LM55 What's your thoughts about it?

Indeed. Any thoughts on the LM55's torque figures? Above or below 450ft-lbs?

My opinion I LOVE THE MAZDA LM55,it kind of makes me wonder that Mazda SHOULD return to Le Mans with their LMP1 and it looks like a LMP1 and sure,it's a VisionGT car but it's a symbol of what is what could be the new pinochle of Motorsport.
If only GT will get better?

I'd say close to 1000bhp with about 600 lbs.
791hp without oil change. 831hp with oil change. Just realized that its a "1:1" car in terms of hp per kg. 831hp/830kg.
Figures likely discovered by comparing power/weight to limited/ballasted cars in garage. Given the horsepower and the fact that it's a rotary, I really can't see it topping 500.

Do we have any further information on the engine itself, other than "Rotary" ?. I see Mazda's 'SKYACTIV' logo on the rear fin, curious as to if that's involved in it's 'design', or if it's just Marketing-PR on a concept racer.

Would love to see some sketches or blue-prints, anything technical really, but I highly doubt we'd see such info. :lol:

Do we have any further information on the engine itself, other than "Rotary" ?. I see Mazda's 'SKYACTIV' logo on the rear fin, curious as to if that's involved in it's 'design', or if it's just Marketing-PR on a concept racer.

Would love to see some sketches or blue-prints, anything technical really, but I highly doubt we'd see such info. :lol:

There is an image on the sketch page in the game that shows the inner parts of the car, but that's about it. They haven't really said much about the engine itself, most of the info regarding it comes from the sound. I guess it was mostly Marketing speech, but the engine does feel like a rotary ingame so that is what matters.

Edit: I rewatched the LM55 final trailer; no mentions of the powerplant there. And no references on the car's description in the site either. It's mostly the design side of the car, the whole "Kodo + 2020 + 787B = LM55" equation. Guess the rotary bit was mostly PD and Mazda agreeing to do that because of the Wankel legacy more than anything else...

Speaking of the image, here it is:
i1CuueGvphDswb.jpg

Last edited:
There is an image on the sketch page in the game that shows the inner parts of the car, but that's about it. They haven't really said much about the engine itself, most of the info regarding it comes from the sound. I guess it was mostly Marketing speech, but the engine does feel like a rotary ingame so that is what matters.

Speaking of the image, here it is:
i1CuueGvphDswb.jpg

I suspected that was as far as we'd see/learn tech-wise. Agreed on the 'feel' of the engine though, PD got the 'pop' of the flames right (need a good sub/sound system to truly hear it). I may just have to acquire a Furai and start racing that a bit, ethanol-fuelled 3-rotor correct ?. I need my race-tech fix until P.CARS :lol:

Skyactiv is more an idea of saving weight to aid fuel economy than a single engine idea. It can be gear boxes, or the hybrid system instead.

That'd make sense, especially on the 'world-stage' of Motorsports, perhaps the vehicles radical 'aero' shape is part of their SKYACTIV philosophy then ?

Last edited:
I suspected that was as far as we'd see/learn tech-wise. Agreed on the 'feel' of the engine though, PD got the 'pop' of the flames right (need a good sub/sound system to truly here it). I may just have to acquire a Furai and start racing that a bit, ethanol-fuelled 3-rotor correct ?. I need my race-tech fix until P.CARS :lol:

Hey, at least it has a more accurate (if somewhat impersonal) engine noise than other rotary cars. And it backfires like one too. :lol:

Also, you really need to buy a Furai, just for that handling. I had never bought one in GT6 before; now I know how much of a bad decision that was after actually buying one (in red, plenty of colours to pick). Brilliant, in both the design and the performance departments. And yes, it is powered by a 3-rotor, ethanol-fueled rotary engine (done by a company called Racing Beat, who also designed the muffler canister). In a Courage chassis, that car flies. Even if it is nowhere as fast as the LM55. :drool:

That'd make sense, especially on the 'world-stage' of Motorsports, perhaps the vehicles radical 'aero' shape is part of their SKYACTIV philosophy then ?

That's one of looking at it. A lighter car, and a whole new aerodynamic idea. Notice how the exhausts are lined up; one on each side of the rear "fin". That is an example.

It's meant to be a vision of an LMP for 2020. There is no rulebook for that time yet, so they can do whatever with the car.

They did take some tips from modern LMPs, though. The fin; the fact that it is a closed roof car. The only thing it's missing is an electric motor, otherwise it could pass as a modern LMP itself. Of course, you would have to make a few changes to the design...

Ill post my setup later. Very stable. I found that in order to have a consistent braking event, I coast a half second or so in the braking zone then brake normally.

I have noticed that when switching to bumper view at high speed, there is the short but noticeable high-pitched 'blip' sound.

Ill post my setup later. Very stable. I found that in order to have a consistent braking event, I coast a half second or so in the braking zone then brake normally.

This might sound stupid, but having the gas pedal pressed at the same time as the break helps keep the tail in check. Brake balance was F 8 - R 10.

This might sound stupid
Not even a little bit. Maintaining some throttle pressure under hard braking helps to reduce the amount of weight moving to the front of the chassis and the subsequent destabilization of the rear. I agree with the increased rear pressure as well, but since I run without ABS, I wasn't nearly as aggressive with my 6/7 setting.

The car's sound wasn't so exciting for me.
UNTIL I turned up the sound, and twitched the gears so that they are now extremely close...
That thing sounds just so damn aggressive!!!

But i'm asking myself, if this is a future LM car... Why doesn't it have a diffusor? A diffusor alone provides god 35-40% of the rear downforce, and this car is so low, the bernoulli/venturi effect would be great with a diffusor...

Edit:"insert quotes and commenting"

Fast but too many gears to flick up and down with on stock ratios.

Well that's kinda normal with a race car, and that's what i love about it!

very lame photoshop:

EDIT: glad you guys like it!

Sooo where's the lame part about it?... That backround? :P
No, awesome edit mate!

Oh my God. A year anniversary since I last post here. Well 10 days short anyway but yeah.

I miss a Christmas gift by PD like this. Maybe they finally focus on GTS.

I feel I am complaining about who can make up the most bullcrap but I think a rotary 4wd LMP car is too fanciful.

If it was a hybrid type RWD car with partial electric FWD assistance and the full regeneration whatever package, then yeah, it would feel more rooted in reality.

And yeah, a green and orange Renown livery should have been a 2ndary option. Missed opportunity all round.

Pretty sure from memory all SKYACTIV is like VW and their BlueMotion system. Which cuts the engine when the car comes to a stop i.e at traffic lights

Back