Mazda LM55 What's your thoughts about it?

@wvmgmidget
How is yours relevant and the rest that responded to his? Have you scrolled back at all??? What thread on here stays on topic throughout it's whole course on here, anyways? Not even close to one of two, unless it is a five or ten post response. If something controversial comes up, it can possibly be worth talking about. Even if it is off topic. Dimassa, you're not a mod - Yesterday the thread was bumped from LAST sunday. I think the bulk of whoever wanted to say what they think about the LM55 since christmas...a week ago, have said it.

And you are here to talk about relevance...

:lol:

Okay, I'm ignoring the mambo jumbo and go straight into the action.

I find the car disappointing *boos*

That was a joke. And some people on my status that day can't take these jokes well. Now for a real opinion.

It's the noob friendly option of all LM cars. You got yer 4WD and 8 gears, and it even hides the factual numbers, unlike most other VGTs.

Lets open out. Most VGTs so far are classed as high end supercars, or the occasional hyper. The LM55 is the first VGT to be classified in the LMP section.

Performance wise, it runs very very well in endurances.

But in regular racing, IT IS A COMPLETE LETDOWN. I don't care what you think. It will be outgunned by most other LMPs. Why, I struggled to get a 1:13 on Brands Hatch, while the Sauber C9, unstable mofo of 1989, beats 1:12 with me taking it easy, and 10 pp less, too. Maybe I stink or what, but this is what I got. I'm a competent DS3 driver..

Many other things come as problematic. Its unnaturally 4WD. It comes with a paint chip and you can't paint it. And the brakes are bad (braking bad).

Now for the moment you all been waiting for: POSITIVES!

The car sounds great. So great, that I had more frequent visits to the lavatory. Given, being it's PD on sound alert now.

It's CHEAP. A GOOD CHEAP. Even if you missed the seasonal, it'll run you just a million; half an LMP, and get more than what you spend. Also PD, get your stuff together and discount the Mercedes VGT Racing Series.

Accessible! I call this car the competitive version of the Red Bull Junior. Easy, fun, and possibly rewarding. Little lacking though..

A looker. Shame it's stuck in white.. @magawolaz you do the car some justice.

But I can't say its the best VGT yet. We keep saying that, and we might see the Jordan VGT look like a human pedalled Death Star that shoots imaginary car versions of Alderaan.

Don't get me wrong: all the VGT cars are no doubt an excellent addition to the semi solid roster. And free DLC to boot.

I've always had a fondness for this car/livery:

92-Mazda-RX7-92P_num77-DV-11-MH-04.jpg

And I think the LM55 looks much more like it than the 787B.

That was a joke. And some people on my status that day can't take these jokes well. Now for a real opinion.

It's the noob friendly option of all LM cars. You got yer 4WD and 8 gears, and it even hides the factual numbers, unlike most other VGTs.

Lets open out. Most VGTs so far are classed as high end supercars, or the occasional hyper. The LM55 is the first VGT to be classified in the LMP section.

But in regular racing, IT IS A COMPLETE LETDOWN. I don't care what you think. It will be outgunned by most other LMPs. Why, I struggled to get a 1:13 on Brands Hatch, while the Sauber C9, unstable mofo of 1989, beats 1:12 with me taking it easy, and 10 pp less, too. Maybe I stink or what, but this is what I got. I'm a competent DS3 driver..

Many other things come as problematic. Its unnaturally 4WD. It comes with a paint chip and you can't paint it. And the brakes are bad (braking bad).

The car sounds great. So great, that I had more frequent visits to the lavatory. Given, being it's PD on sound alert now.

It's CHEAP. A GOOD CHEAP. Even if you missed the seasonal, it'll run you just a million; half an LMP, and get more than what you spend. Also PD, get your stuff together and discount the Mercedes VGT Racing Series.

Accessible! I call this car the competitive version of the Red Bull Junior. Easy, fun, and possibly rewarding. Little lacking though..

But I can't say its the best VGT yet. We keep saying that, and we might see the Jordan VGT look like a human pedalled Death Star that shoots imaginary car versions of Alderaan.

Don't get me wrong: all the VGT cars are no doubt an excellent addition to the semi solid roster. And free DLC to boot.
I haven't done the mazda on le Sarthe yet but I'll see how it stacks up against my modern lmp comparison cars

I'd say the main issue that drags the LM55 down in regular racing is the gearbox.

Yes, the car is incredibly stable. But the gearbox is set with gears far too close to each other. Even an unstable car such as the C9 can outrun the Mazda with a properly set gearbox. In Le Mans, you'll see the Mazda's gearbox top out far too early, which is then followed up by the noise of the car bouncing off the redline and dropping speed rapidly. Handling wise, besides the brakes, there is hardly any problems. It's the close-geared transmission that drops the potential of the LM55 down a peg. Granted, you can set it up yourself, so the problem can be solved. This car could own everything in the LMP class with a proper setup, believe you me. The lack of alternative liveries and a modeled cockpit also drag its rating down a bit, but overall it is a very solid racing car. It is a diamond that needs some trimming to work perfectly, but unlike other VGTs you can "trim it" (by this I mean set it up).

And yes, the Jordan VGT is one of the biggest unknowns of the whole project. As well as Nike's. And Lamborghini's.

And especially Daihatsu's. :lol:

I'd say the main issue that drags the LM55 down in regular racing is the gearbox.

Yes, the car is incredibly stable. But the gearbox is set with gears far too close to each other. Even an unstable car such as the C9 can outrun the Mazda with a properly set gearbox. In Le Mans, you'll see the Mazda's gearbox top out far too early, which is then followed up by the noise of the car bouncing off the redline and dropping speed rapidly.
I agreed with the majority of the post and have nothing to comment on the rest, but this stood out to me. It sounds as though you're comparing the LM55's default gearing to a modified Sauber's. If the Sauber's is modified, why isn't the Mazda's?

I agreed with the majority of the post and have nothing to comment on the rest, but this stood out to me. It sounds as though you're comparing the LM55's default gearing to a modified Sauber's. If the Sauber's is modified, why isn't the Mazda's?

I was going to say this. Can you modify the LM55 gearbox? I have not used the car, but have been reading the thread. If you can change the gearing, 8 gears all day long over 5, 6, or 7. Powerband, torque management, more effective and less costly short shifting, etc. You can always stretch the gears out if you don't want to use 7 or 8.

Actually, I was refering to the comparison done by SomePlayaDude, who mentioned that the Sauber was faster than the Mazda in Brands Hatch. As far I can see, he did not modify the C9's gearbox. But the C9 gearbox has a better stock setting, because it is not as short geared as the Mazda, which has a rather unforgiving redline limit (which in turn results in the car bouncing off the limiter far too soon). Obviously, a tuned gearbox would make the Mazda faster, if it is possible to avoid such an agressive redline limit.

But not effectively because of the way the game dictates gears be changed. Anyone else want a tumbler (i.e. 0.000 to 9.999)?

What do you mean? You can spread the gears out so that 7th puts you at your max attainable speed. But, you want the gears as close as possible with a 7 and 8 speed gearboxes. That's what gives you the advantages I mentioned above. There are no downsides to a 7 or 8 speed boxes. 9 or 10 would be a bit much, but I find 7 and 8 to be perfect.

@Niku Driver HC thanks for the clarification.

@VR_Engineered you can stretch it that far but it won't be geared as efficiently as a transmission with only as many gears as you'd like. Honestly, that part of my reply was in part my venting about not being able to tune ratios freely without relying on the top speed and final gear sliders.

@Niku Driver HC thanks for the clarification.

@VR_Engineered you can stretch it that far but it won't be geared as efficiently as a transmission with only as many gears as you'd like. Honestly, that part of my reply was in part my venting about not being able to tune ratios freely without relying on the top speed and final gear sliders.
You need to read about setting gear ratios up in GT6. There is a tutorial in the tuning section IIRC.

You need to read about setting gear ratios up in GT6. There is a tutorial in the tuning section IIRC.

Also, VR, about that "the gearbox can be set up?" question; most of the parts in the car can be set up. The suspension, the gearbox, and the aerodynamics of the LM55 can all be set up. The only thing you can't do is add more power, but the Mazda is already well suited in that department if you ask me.

Well, the Group C machines have much more power on their sides.

A stock LM55 makes about 750 or maybe more HP.

Also, VR, about that "the gearbox can be set up?" question; most of the parts in the car can be set up. The suspension, the gearbox, and the aerodynamics of the LM55 can all be set up. The only thing you can't do is add more power, but the Mazda is already well suited in that department if you ask me.
I figured, just by the way he said it, I thought maybe it was frozen.

And yeah @sparkytooth, the group C cars have much more power. You can't compare the Group C cars to the LM55. But, @TexRex, don't forget that gears are just torque multipliers. That is another reason you want more gears. More gears let you run a higher number value for the final drive. In reality, it is gear lower. Geared high = longer gears. More gears, with quick gear changes and a low gear final drive gets you going much quicker than say less gears with the same final drive. Less gears spread the power out too much, when you could be multiplying that torque and catching cars with more power, but less gears.

But don't forget that gears are just torque multipliers. That is another reason you want more gears. More gears let you run a higher number value for the final drive. In reality, it is gear lower. Geared high = longer gears. More gears, with quick gear changes and a low gear final drive gets you going much quicker than say less gears with the same final drive. Less gears spread the power out too much, when you could be multiplying that torque and catching cars with more power, but less gears.
I'm well aware of this, having owned an old Beetle equipped with an aftermarket 5-speed stack (Berg conversion, not a Porsche 'box). I went through a number of combinations before finding one that best suited my needs. A tumbler in the tuning menu would make fine-tuning simpler (no mucking around with 3rd gear being at the end of the slider and wanting just a little bit more). As it is, it's a hassle. Yeah, I have a general grasp of how to make the most of things the way they are, but it's still a hassle. No need to get rid of the slider system, but give us the option to move numbers up and down independent of the sliders.

Guess the first one was the best one, eh? Pardon my ignorance (I do not own a GT1 copy), but how did that menu work, exactly?
Like so:

Skip to 2:20. You could make faster changes using the shoulder buttons.

You've got visible rpm values, in-gear speeds, a better sense of rpm drop at each change, and no limits on the range of ratio adjustments relative to each gear.

That is, the ratios are absolute, their ranges do not vary according to the top speed and final drive setting, unlike how it's been since GT4.

The "top speed" setting is redundant with a final drive adjustment available, especially if they actually show the speeds!

Like so:

You've got visible rpm values, in-gear speeds, a better sense of rpm drop at each change, and no limits on the range of ratio adjustments relative to each gear.

That is, the ratios are absolute, their ranges do not vary according to the top speed and final drive setting, unlike how it's been since GT4.

The "top speed" setting is redundant with a final drive adjustment available, especially if they actually show the speeds!

I miss old HSR more than I miss the old tuning menus!

Well, the Group C machines have much more power on their sides.

A stock LM55 makes about 750 or maybe more HP.
791hp without oil change. 831hp with oil change. Just realized that its a "1:1" car in terms of hp per kg. 831hp/830kg.

791hp without oil change. 831hp with oil change. Just realized that its a "1:1" car in terms of hp per kg. 831hp/830kg.
Should be able to defeat a Group C car easily, given enough twisty bits.

Like so:

Hmm, it is a far more cohesive and comprehensive than GT6's, that much I can tell. You do have a clear idea as to what speeds will be attained with each gear, what the amount of torques each gear provides. The whole lot, as you put it. It is an absolute system, no subjective guess here. The only question I can ask is: Why isn't this type of system implemented in GT6? Is it that lack of PS3 RAM thing again?

hsv
But hooning is always preferable.

A bit of both, I say. A balanced set up, a "jack of all trades" one, can do wonders for a car. Not excelling at one specific category has its perks...

Like so:

Woooooooow, it shows you top speed for each gear as you adjust them!!!

Hmm, it is a far more cohesive and comprehensive than GT6's, that much I can tell. You do have a clear idea as to what speeds will be attained with each gear, what the amount of torques each gear provides. The whole lot, as you put it. It is an absolute system, no subjective guess here. The only question I can ask is: Why isn't this type of system implemented in GT6? Is it that lack of PS3 RAM thing again?

A bit of both, I say. A balanced set up, a "jack of all trades" one, can do wonders for a car. Not excelling at one specific category has its perks...
I think they just over thought it - PD have tended to struggle with UI design.

Back