Mazda Rear Structure Of Vehicle Patent

• Thread starter AaBbDd gt
  • 11 comments
Could point towards the tech that will be implemented on the next RX sports car, can't imagine an MX-5 or any other vehicle in the range with active aerodynamics on this level.

That's actually a pair of patent applications, rather than a pair of patents. Big difference, maybe not with respect to a tipping of the hand as to what mazda is up to, but it's a difference in what they currently can exclude others from doing. A lot of patent applications do not become patents.

So many recent patent applications from Mazda are pointing to a high end sports car with rotary power. I'm eating so much popcorn right now.

There is an active rear wing on the Corrado. That wasn't an overly super sports car. Could work on a hotted up MX-5.

26A22355-3E76-4400-B24A-7D582C562363.jpeg
https://www.motor1.com/news/524855/mazda-patent-filings-sports-car/

Here’s an update to that patent. The blog is saying it’s been registered in the USA.

I have to imagine this is taking so long partly because Mazda is trying to avoid simply lumping their new I6 engine into it. Rotary hybrid would be sick but would require immense development resources. One last hoorah. Or perhaps a more modern rotary-range-extended EV which would not only perform at a modern EV level (sorry Chevy Volt) but would completely erase range anxiety. That was the goal of the volt, except they didn't do it right. They used the engine to power the car rather than simply to charge the battery. Modern tech would likely make the latter more efficient than the former, and simpler too.

I have to imagine this is taking so long partly because Mazda is trying to avoid simply lumping their new I6 engine into it. Rotary hybrid would be sick but would require immense development resources. One last hoorah. Or perhaps a more modern rotary-range-extended EV which would not only perform at a modern EV level (sorry Chevy Volt) but would completely erase range anxiety. That was the goal of the volt, except they didn't do it right. They used the engine to power the car rather than simply to charge the battery. Modern tech would likely make the latter more efficient than the former, and simpler too.
The problem with a pure series hybrid is that the part of driving that has the potential to be most efficient (aka, steady state cruise) is actually the least efficient mode of operation for a series hybrid - you really want the engine to be driving the wheels in this scenario, rather than going through the middle man of the electronic. Honda's hybrid system is pretty clever in that it can direct-drive the wheels under certain conditions.

I've always thought a parallel hybrid rotary would be fantastic. You get the rotary operating in it's happy place (moderate to high load and mid to high RPM) and keep it out it's dirty and low performing range (low loads and RPM) and you get the nice satisfying shove of an electric motor at the low end.

The problem with a pure series hybrid is that the part of driving that has the potential to be most efficient (aka, steady state cruise) is actually the least efficient mode of operation for a series hybrid - you really want the engine to be driving the wheels in this scenario, rather than going through the middle man of the electronic. Honda's hybrid system is pretty clever in that it can direct-drive the wheels under certain conditions.

I've always thought a parallel hybrid rotary would be fantastic. You get the rotary operating in it's happy place (moderate to high load and mid to high RPM) and keep it out it's dirty and low performing range (low loads and RPM) and you get the nice satisfying shove of an electric motor at the low end.

But is that true for a rotary? As far as I'm aware, the most fuel efficient mode for a rotary is low-rpm steady-state, not mid or high, which could either be as a generator or as an engine. You mention its happy place but that's the old-school way of thinking how a rotary creates a lot of power and is unnecessary for use as a generator. There's a lot of variation on roads so I'd think it would be more efficient as a generator, and that negates all mechanical aspects of a connection and allows the freedom to place the generator literally anywhere.

Back