Mazda sticks with rotary power

• Thread starter Pebb
  • 877 comments
Please de-throne the GT-R, Mazda, please.

If I'm honest, I'd rather see them benchmark the LF-A, but I can understand if an example might be hard to come across. :P

Why benchmark a car that's not any faster than a GT-R? :D

Would be nice if they released a new RX that was grippier, faster and more competent than a GT-R. Or maybe even an MX?

A new MX6 with AWD, Skyactiv and 500 hp? Hmmmm...

10 seconds faster around the nordschleife isn't any faster than the GTR? ;) Maybe they're aiming at driving dynamics? Maybe Mazdaspeed 6 will be using the GTR's awd system as a benchmark?

niky
Why benchmark a car that's not any faster than a GT-R? :D

Would be nice if they released a new RX that was grippier, faster and more competent than a GT-R. Or maybe even an MX?

A new MX6 with AWD, Skyactiv and 500 hp? Hmmmm...

RX makes more sense than the other one.

Well... why not?

Mazda may be releasing an RX-something in the future, but right now, its focus is on convincing people that non-hybrids can give you great economy. A halo car for that line-up would likely need a SkyActiv engine and possibly hybrid drive. A 300-400 horsepower Mazda6 (or MX6) with electric-driven rear wheels would fill that role quite nicely.

Mazda6 or Mazdaspeed6 sure, but MX around here hasn't been used forever, and on a FWD econo car.

Just makes more sense to revive the RX-7.

The only thing people remember about MX cars around here is the chipping paint and loud, broken exhausts.

Mazda6 or Mazdaspeed6 sure, but MX around here hasn't been used forever, and on a FWD econo car.

Just makes more sense to revive the RX-7.

Apart from the MX-5, right? I know you guys still call it the Miata but Mazda still calls it the MX-5. I'd expect that has enough impact in the market.

Though I can see what you're saying.

Apart from the MX-5, right? I know you guys still call it the Miata but Mazda still calls it the MX-5. I'd expect that has enough impact in the market.

Though I can see what you're saying.

I was on my phone at the time and missed the "6" so yeah, I meant MX-6.

Perhaps not as evocative but the alphanumeric thing ties it in with the rest of the range better.

And they have to keep "Miata" on the end otherwise customers would suddenly be completely blind to its existence. Or something.

Yeah, that's what I meant. When you go on the Mazda website or grab a dealer pamphlet, it says MX-5 Miata, so that is the official name for the car now; but I've never seen an actual ad for it since the NC went on sale here that didn't just call it Miata, so I doubt the MX nonclementure is really engrained over here other than in relation to the Miata (if at all).

Yeah, that's what I meant. When you go on the Mazda website or grab a dealer pamphlet, it says MX-5 Miata, so that is the official name for the car now; but I've never seen an actual ad for it since the NC went on sale here that didn't just call it Miata, so I doubt the MX nonclementure is really engrained over here other than in relation to the Miata (if at all).

That's an interesting one. I only have access to web material really (I suppose I could seek down a TV ad if I was desperate) so I just assumed they were phasing out the Miata name altogether. But apparently not.

As above then. Maybe the car's customers would suddenly be monumentally confused if they changed its name entirely, even if the car looks identical.

Apparently Mazda is just waiting on the company to be profitable again before they move forward with a new RX-7.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mellor.nsf/story2/8C9B69AAA4724D76CA257A8A000923BC

“At this moment we are not in a position to restart again, but if in future we earn more money then I believe there is a chance.”

In the meantime, Mr Maeda – the father of Mazda’s current highly acclaimed ‘Kodo’ design language – continues to do RX-7 design sketches in the hope they will one day turn into a production reality.

I believe this is only the case in the North America market, but I'm not sure.
It is, but then again the car was originally designed for our market and this is by far the largest market for the car. The Miata, that is.

Maybe VAG will buy them and usher the return of the Wankel into German hands.

This. The Germanz need to get busy with it and pump some German Euroos into the Wankel R&D. Then we will see a Turbo Diesel Rotary within 5 year, which would be lovely. :D

Make them more reliable first. That's something a rotary isn't good at

Reliability was achieved a long time ago (apparantly even the plagued NSU Ro80 was already quite reliable given that it was revved high enough frequently), the biggest drawback that remains is fuel consumption if I'm not mistaken.

Back