Mazda's Street Legal Racecar/supercar Concept

Here’s your first look at Mazda’s sexy—if radical—new concept car that will make its world debut next month at the 2008 Detroit auto show. With its obvious yet sophisticated aerodynamic design, it’s no wonder the company settled on Furai, which is Japanese for “sound of the wind.” Mazda’s not handing out many juicy details, but we do know that the power behind this Batmobile look-alike is a 450-hph, three-rotor rotary engine.

For the Furai’s unique design, Mazda took an American Le Mans Series (ALMS) racecar and translated its look on top of the Courage C65 chassis that the company promoted in the ALMS series two years ago. “Historically, there has been a gap between single-purpose racecars and street-legal models—commonly called supercars—that emulate the real racers on the road,” says Franz von Holzhausen, Mazda’s North American director of design. “Furai bridges that gap like no car had ever done before.” We’ll judge that for ourselves when we see it live on Jan. 13 in Detroit. Stay tuned. —Brittany Marquis

You can see this info on other populare well known sources as well.

As you have read this is going too be a bad ass supercar! This feels promising I feel they will really release this supercar in the future considering the fact that the co is doing good. Mazda is finaly doing what I wished and begged that they would do, I can not wait too see this ALMS Courage C65 mixed with Mazda Taiki inspired chassis, powered by a 450hp 24X Renesis2 Three Rotor Rotary engine combined with a most likely low weight in the low 2000LBS range body supercar with a probabal(spelling) 0.25 coeffeciant drag kick all supercars asses!

Anyway I have some performance estimates for this road legal Rotory Rocket race car, oh I decided too raise weight too 2200LBS for it's power/weight ratio and it would be 2.4 in that case. Since it will have Zero lift(like the Taiki) and knife edge coeffeciant drag of 0.25,

0-60=around 2.9-3.2 secs
0-100=7.1-8.5secs
Quater mile=10's at 120's
Top speed of 220+
Skidpad=1.2+Gs
Slalom speed 70+ easily
Nurburgring low 7's
Price=100K-150K

I want it bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you people think?

Is it just me or is every one of your 'estimates' just a figure out of the blue?

And please - post the picture of the car if you want a serious discussion.

This thread was worthless without a pic.
4132-03.jpg

Is it just me or is every one of your 'estimates' just a figure out of the blue?

And please - post the picture of the car if you want a serious discussion.

Well I came up withe the stats by educated guesses since I know my cars good and all that I have guessed many cars performance satats close too accurate just by looking at their weight, power and C.Drag. I am a car Fanatic and enginering nut just too let you know.

I know how you guys feel it suck's not having much pics I want too see more. This thread really is not useless without a pic it would still be fun for true car lovers to discuss for fun:) Anyway does anyone have any positive things too say with the topic.

Erm, I thought this is just a rebodied Courage C65 chassis, you list the engine as a modified 16x, with 3 rotors. Now last time I heard there was no such thing as a 24x and the courage had an R20B 3 rotor with peripheral ports.

Where's your source? The pic looks like it came from a video game. And the likelihood Mazda would ever make a supercar is quite slim.

http://www.newcarnet.co.uk
Teaser of the Furai concept
Surely a contender for busiest concept studio, Mazda is to unveil the Furai concept at the North American International Auto Show in January.

The Furai has been designed with an eye toward the future and the environment through the use of synthetic fuel (cellulosic ethanol E100) produced by British Petroleum (BP).

Furai takes Mazda's unique Nagare (Japanese for 'flow') design language a step further as it is translated into a concept car based on an American Le Mans Series (ALMS) sports racing car.

The car utilizes the Courage C65 chassis the company campaigned in the ALMS series only two seasons ago, and the 450-hp three-rotor rotary engine that distinguishes it from anything else on the track.

"Furai purposely blurs boundaries that have traditionally distinguished street cars from racing cars," says Franz von Holzhausen, Mazda's North American director of design.

"Historically, there has been a gap between single-purpose racecars and the sportiest of street-legal production models - commonly called supercars - that emulate the real racers on the road."

A heavily revised version of the Mazda RX-8 sports car will also debut in Detroit on press day, Sunday 13 January 2008.

Some info.

You can see this info on other populare well known sources as well.

As you have read this is going too be a bad ass supercar! This feels promising I feel they will really release this supercar in the future considering the fact that the co is doing good. Mazda is finaly doing what I wished and begged that they would do, I can not wait too see this ALMS Courage C65 mixed with Mazda Taiki inspired chassis, powered by a 450hp 24X Renesis2 Three Rotor Rotary engine combined with a most likely low weight in the low 2000LBS range body supercar with a probabal(spelling) 0.25 coeffeciant drag kick all supercars asses!

Anyway I have some performance estimates for this road legal Rotory Rocket race car, oh I decided too raise weight too 2200LBS for it's power/weight ratio and it would be 2.4 in that case. Since it will have Zero lift(like the Taiki) and knife edge coeffeciant drag of 0.25,

0-60=around 2.9-3.2 secs
0-100=7.1-8.5secs
Quater mile=10's at 120's
Top speed of 220+
Skidpad=1.2+Gs
Slalom speed 70+ easily
Nurburgring low 7's
Price=100K-150K

I want it bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do you people think?

Your estimates seem way out, you say 450BHP, yet the specs suggest 500-600BHP at least. Not that BHP is everything, but to have a speed of 220+ from 450BHP would require an extelmely 'slippery' or aerodynamically efficient car. The 2.9 seconds also seems on the exagerated side of hopefull, I am not saying this is impossible just increadible unless this is an extreme low weight, high traction car, again 450BHP may not be enough to pull a 2.9 which is 0.3 of a second better 0-60 than a Mclaren F1, Ok not the benchmark for all cars to beat, but it does help illustrate that you are indfact being a bit hopeful. That said, it does sound like quite an impressive car potentially, I want to hear more about it.

This is the real deal. They're also going to be releasing the newly redesigned RX8 at Detroit, along with this car. Should be a treat, this long line of Mazda's most recent concepts has been unbelievably badass.

:lol: to the "estimates". Kid's such a fan he made sure to spell his username wrong. And the RX-7's a supercar now.

Anywho, on this concept though, I've really enjoyed Mazda's stream of concepts this year. While I doubt they'd release a light-weight GT-R competitor (since the 450-500hp range is the rage for Japanese companies these days), it's nice to see they're willing to show us something outrageous.

SlipZtrem I misspeled my name because I was in a hurry when I singed up a while ago, and I highly doubt Mazda is afraid of competing with the GTR. ND4SPD the new gen Renesis has a X not a B because of it's new design the 2 Rotors are 1.6 Liters so they are called 16X 800cc x 2 so a Three Rotor which this is as it is stated in all sources this info is located is a 2.4 Liter 24X.

Stevisiov90 I did guess these numbers with educated guesses and a 400-500 HP car can easily top out at 220MPH for example the 400hp 2535LBS Yamaha 0X99-11 does 0-60 in 3.1 seconds and a top speed of 217.5MPH. By the looks of this it has a little Taiki inspired in its design the Taiki has a 0.25 C.D anyway and has Zero lift. And I agree with you Stev I would think a 3 Rotor second gen Renisis would have 600hp as well but this car runs on cellulosic E100 Ethonol I dont know if that burs as good as regulare feul though so that may be the reason.

Thanks exigeracer, Jimprower, Steviosiv90, and Danachronism for contributing too the thread in Mature ways:)

I notice those three squiggle lines on this car again, a theme I have seen on all of this series of Mazda sports car concept. Any idea how those might be incorporated into the final product?

SlipZtrem I misspeled my name because I was in a hurry when I singed up a while ago, and I highly doubt Mazda is afraid of competing with the GTR. ND4SPD the new gen Renesis has a X not a B because of it's new design the 2 Rotors are 1.6 Liters so they are called 16X 800cc x 2 so a Three Rotor which this is as it is stated in all sources this info is located is a 2.4 Liter 24X.

Erm thanks, but I know my rotaries quite well. I'm just saying that there isn't a 24x in this car, nor is there a 24x in existence at all.... What I was trying to say is that this vehicle is almost a reskinned Courage C65 that they used in the ALMS a couple of seasons ago, they are still using the same engine which is the R20B. A 1st gen Renesis based 3 rotor with peripheral ports. Not a modified 16x with 3 rotors. In fact here is a picture of the engine.

Please, show me your sources saying its using this so called 24X.....

Well I came up withe the stats by educated guesses since I know my cars good and all that I have guessed many cars performance satats close too accurate just by looking at their weight, power and C.Drag. I am a car Fanatic and enginering nut just too let you know.

I'm an engineering-nut too, you know... And your figures still seem out of the blue.

Assuming engine-power and weight are, in fact, what the Courage C65 has, then yes - it'll have around 450HP, and, if it's weight is still the same, then an average of around 750-800KG:
Courage C65 Weight according to Mulsanne'sCorner.com
738 kgs. (2003 Le Mans)
798 kgs. (2004 Le Mans average)
781 kgs. (2005 Le Mans average)

And even assuming you have a good way of estimating traction, and a decent figure for 0-60 and quartermile (comparing it with other LMP2 racers is a start, y'know) - you still have no idea about the CoD, downforce-figures, or it's handling.

You can't really provide ultra-slippery CoD numbers without sacrificing drag. And you can't provide amazing slalom and skippad figures without downforce. Now let us assume it pulls a 1.2g on the skidpad, and does 220MPH, and 70+MPH on the slalom. How do you know it'll lap the 'Ring in 7 minutes? The Radical SR8, current holder of the Nurburgring lap record for road-legal cars, produces enough downforce to do 3gs on the skidpan. That is LMP2 downforce. Which is something we should expect from a reskinned Courage - or maybe less, assuming it won't be quite so geared towards downforce, and rather streamlined cool looks.
My point being, we can't know, nor even estimate, anything between 1g and 3g, and a topspeed ranging from the bottom to the top of what current LMP2s do. And as for the 'Ring laptime... We can hope for that cars' own sake it does 7 minutes. If a Radical with a hundred less horses did it, something which is practically even more of a racecar would do a close time, as well.

For the record, here's the original Mazda-powered Courage C65:

Courage-BC33.jpg

I am sorry if it sounded like I was being a know it all I was not trying too be. I just used 1.2Gs just as a completely random number I dont know were I got that from besides the fact that it is supposed too be street legal and not complete and absolute race car so I thought it would not behave completly like one.

I dont have definitive sources of info that tells that it will have a 24X but I assumed that it would because the new Renesis is 16X and I thought that they would use the new Rotary design since it is a future car, and for the fact that the second generation Renesis has better power, low-end torque, weighs less, is more compact, and has better feul economy.

You can find alot out about the Renesis 2 here and some pics TOO.

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=132561

besides the fact that it is supposed too be street legal and not complete and absolute race car so I thought it would not behave completly like one.
This is a reskinned Courage C65 ALMS car, no way will this car be street legal.

Your link is a closed thread with no info as the thread was a repost.

Mazda... race car/supercar concept... sounds like a winner to me. I know most people don't want to give Japanese sports cars a chance, so I'll offer my own unbiased perspective. I love Courage LMPs. I've been fond of more recent (as in 2000 and up) Courages. The C65 is truly stunning. I love Courage. If Mazda and Courage seem to collaborate to make this deal happen, then the sky's the limit. Keep a brother informed on this, ya hear?

Mazda... race car/supercar concept... sounds like a winner to me. I know most people don't want to give Japanese sports cars a chance, so I'll offer my own unbiased perspective. I love Courage LMPs. I've been fond of more recent (as in 2000 and up) Courages. The C65 is truly stunning. I love Courage. If Mazda and Courage seem to collaborate to make this deal happen, then the sky's the limit. Keep a brother informed on this, ya hear?

you got it bro I'll try and keep up to date on this Future Mazda supercar and report:tup: I sure hope I could get one some day, tch like that will ever happen:(

Hmmm about that blasted forum link, the page worked last night well, well. I guess for those who want too know more about the Second Generation Renesis for short 16X go here for a good source of info and pics!!:)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=183733 just highlight it copy and past it on the address bar and search I just tested it and it works I hope it works for you guys. i just deleted the [/URL] things now it works as a link go figure what a big ordeal access it any way you want.

This new Mazda Furai as it is called, is supposed too be road legal ND4SPD, as stated here, or at least hinted at.

According to Franz von Holzhausen, Mazda's North American director of design: "Furai purposely blurs boundaries that have traditionally distinguished street cars from track cars. Historically, there has been a gap between single-purpose racecars and street-legal models -- commonly called supercars -- that emulate the real racers on the road. Furai bridges that gap like no car has ever done before." Sounds great to us, Franz. Anything that can be done to make a supercar even more super, we're behind 110 percent

I know of course that it is not a garunteed thing but it is not completely out of the question either I just have hope in it I'm optimistic.

Eh, I'd love to see this thing make it road legal as well. Hell I just want that engine in my RX-7.

Eh, I'd love to see this thing make it road legal as well. Hell I just want that engine in my RX-7.

That would be awesome having this engine in a RX7:tup::drool: Just one question if I may you own an RX7 that is so awesome! I want one so bad, is it a FB, FC, or FD I'll be absolutly jealous if it is a FD:crazy:

You can't really provide ultra-slippery CoD numbers without sacrificing drag. And you can't provide amazing slalom and skippad figures without downforce.

You don't necessarily need drag-heavy aerodynamic aids to produce sufficient downforce. Underbody/ground effect systems work quite well. Not sure if that was your point, but it wasn't obvious that you understood that.

Is there any other official information about this car? Any other images? Otherwise, I'm inclined to say it's all concept-car marketing-speak. I.e., pure drivel.

You don't necessarily need drag-heavy aerodynamic aids to produce sufficient downforce. Underbody/ground effect systems work quite well. Not sure if that was your point, but it wasn't obvious that you understood that.

I am aware of ground-effects - and also aware of the fact that a Courage C65 doesn't have a sculpted underbody as far as I know, but rather only a diffusor. Which is some sort of ground-effect system, as basic as it may be. I basically meant that, well, while it's possible to provide a car with a low CoD and downforce, the Courage C65 is a true racecar, which, well, doesn't have a low CoD.

I am aware of ground-effects - and also aware of the fact that a Courage C65 doesn't have a sculpted underbody as far as I know, but rather only a diffusor. Which is some sort of ground-effect system, as basic as it may be. I basically meant that, well, while it's possible to provide a car with a low CoD and downforce, the Courage C65 is a true racecar, which, well, doesn't have a low CoD.

True. Ground effects have been banned in most motorsport since the early '90s.

Back