Mclaren F1

Here's a test, first try the McLaren F1 at Tsukuba and try for a time near 1:04.62 on a damp, 25% track. If too fast with SH tires then try CS and so on.

Then make sure the car will do the stock published top speed 239 mph. Car should be at 608 PP and 635 HP, 1140 kg.

Then try for 7:11 at the 'Ring.

Note there was a 600PP SH time trial at the Nurburgring 24 h track , gold time is 9:54 mins.

Here's a test, first try the McLaren F1 at Tsukuba and try for a time near 1:04.62 on a damp, 25% track. If too fast with SH tires then try CS and so on.

Then make sure the car will do the stock published top speed 239 mph. Car should be at 608 PP and 635 HP, 1140 kg.

Then try for 7:11 at the 'Ring.

Note there was a 600PP SH time trial at the Nurburgring 24 h track , gold time is 9:54 mins.
mike_gt3 took the stock F1 around the Nurb in 6:49 if you want an idea of what the potential of the stock F1 is. With a serious effort he could probably have knocked some time off of that quite easily as that was probably his first or second good lap. Mike is a Ringmaster without a doubt, few are faster when he puts in some serious effort.

Last edited:
mike_gt3 took the stock F1 around the Nurb in 7:49 if you want an idea of what the potential of the stock F1 is. With a serious effort he could probably have knocked some time off of that quite easily as that was probably his first or second good lap. Mike is a Ringmaster without a doubt, few are faster when he puts in some serious effort.
@sparkytooth you've been challenged :sly:

7:50 is real laptime of M3 CSL which is shopping cart compared to McLaren F1. With today tyres I'd guess F1 is capable to do ring in something like 7:15 - 7:25, highly depending on balls of pilot that can turn off his brain in very rare 8 Mio Ł car (as sold Rowan Atkinson his twice crashed one recently).

Last edited:
I'll see if I can still pull off a sub 7, I'm sure the F1 can do it as easily as the Veyron, and easier than a Huayra.

7:50 is real laptime of M3 CSL which is shopping cart compared to McLaren F1. With today tyres I'd guess F1 is capable to do ring in something like 7:15 - 7:25, highly depending on balls of pilot that can turn off his brain in very rare 8 Mio Ł car (as sold Rowan Atkinson his twice crashed one recently).
:ouch: Sorry, typo. It was 6:49:D

I think you refer to this from 2004? Just skimmed the first page but it's got to be the right thread. It's not that long then, actually.
http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=115241

Nope that is not the thread it was much better thread than this one without all the foolishness. He laid it out point by point. His name was Flemke however so this thread above is referencing the same F1 owner. The thread I was originally referring to was gold. I hope its still around.

Very interesting subject. F1 is my all time favorite car, so I would be very curious to see what time it would lay down around the nurb.

To give me some sort of benchmark, I used the most realistic driving sim available to me; Assetto Corsa. The game does include a variant of the F1 which is the F1 GTR, and a laserscanned version of the Nurburgring. By comparing the lap time of existing cars in the game to their real life counterpart I noticed that the record laps in the game are consistently 10-20 seconds faster than the corresponding lap times in real life. This makes sense, given that in the game you have optimal track conditions, no traffic, and no consequence if you push too hard and end up in a wall at 200mph. For example:

Ferrari 458 Real Time vs AS Time: 7:32 v. 7:17 - 15s diff

McLaren MP4-12C Real Time vs AS Time: 7:28 v. 7:15 - 13s diff

BMW 1M Real Time vs AS Time: 8:12 v. 7:54 - 18s diff

BMW M3 E92 Real Time vs AS Time: 8:05 v. 7:48 - 18s diff

Alfa Romeo 4C Real Time vs AS Time: 8:04 v. 7:50 - 14s diff

This consistency between the times of physical vs virtual cars means Assetto Corsa is a viable means to estimate the theoretical lap times of different cars. The current record for the F1 GTR is a 6:40. I myself can only manage a 6:55, car is very twitchy as shown in this video:

Using the 10-20 second delay, in the right hands the F1 GTR should lap the nurb right under the 7:00 mark. But remember this is done on AS using 90's era rubber and the F1 GTR is a fully fledged Le Mans winning race car. The regular F1 is not included in the game so I can't gauge the performance of that, but due to the similarity between the GTR and it's roadgoing counterpart (GTR is basically a stripped out regular F1 with downforce, upgraded brakes and LESS horsepower), I wouldn't be surprised if it made a sub 7:20 lap on modern rubber.

Hmm, come to think of it you may actually be right.. I mean if the CSL with a power to weight ratio of 250bhp/t could pull it off (albeit with semi slicks) then the Mclaren F1 - which has double the bhp per tonne @wow@ could certainly do it as well! The XJ220 too!
Better suspension,brakes and good semi clicks is all they need!

Well if we are talking F1 LM, GTR, GTR LT then of course they can run a 7:11 and better at the Ring. Those are full on race cars unlike the F1 road car it seems the OP was discussing unless I read the post wrong.

The road car wont do 7:11 with its old tire compound, suspension and brake systems. But the race versions surely are capable of sub 7 minute times.

Yes, it has done 7:11 in nurburgring in 11/1996 and that was by xp5 prototype not the lm.The video of that was there in mclaren's official site before mp4-12c was released now all the F1 videos there are deleted since the release of new cars.The test was done after mika hakkinen tested it in japan(you can see that video in youtube).That video was not published by mclaren on youtube.
By the way in gt6 i have done 6:53 with this car and it is faster for me than MP4-12c after i got used to it.In spa I did 2:25 lap,in moteji i did 1:53 with this car.In all track (except tsukuba) it is the fastest production car in track for me.

There is one test I found by autocar article for xp4 prototype and I estimated its average to be 169km/h that too in damp weather and its cornering speeds were significantly higher than ccr(7:34),911 gt3 rs(7:33),911 gt2rs(7:24)

Attachments

• MCLAREN F1 NURBURGRING.jpg
    MCLAREN F1 NURBURGRING.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Rundenzeit-Nordschleife-Supertest-Koenigsegg-CCR-sportauto0306-fotoshowBigImage-50190c4b-219116.jpg
    Rundenzeit-Nordschleife-Supertest-Koenigsegg-CCR-sportauto0306-fotoshowBigImage-50190c4b-219116.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 34
  • rundenzeit-nordschleife-porsche-911-gt2-rs-c890x594-ffffff-c-ed21aaad-429199-500x333.jpg
    rundenzeit-nordschleife-porsche-911-gt2-rs-c890x594-ffffff-c-ed21aaad-429199-500x333.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Rundenzeit-Nordschleife-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-f900x600-F4F4F2-C-26e35290-352292.jpg
    Rundenzeit-Nordschleife-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-f900x600-F4F4F2-C-26e35290-352292.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 31
There is one test I found by autocar article for xp4 prototype and I estimated its average to be 169km/h that too in damp weather and its cornering speeds were significantly higher than ccr(7:34),911 gt3 rs(7:33),911 gt2rs(7:24)

Mclaren do you have the rest of that magazine article?.Of yes, can you please attach it here?.Thank you!

Yes I have but the last page where laptime was specified is missing.If I remember correctly the laptime was around in 7:22 in the damp track in 20.832km track which is equivalent to 7:15 in 20.6 configuration.Here is the rest of the article.
Mclaren do you have the rest of that magazine article?.Of yes, can you please attach it here?.Thank you!

Attachments

• MCLarenF1-3.jpg
    MCLarenF1-3.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 36
  • MCLarenF1-4.jpg
    MCLarenF1-4.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
  • MCLAREN F1 NURBURGRING.jpg
    MCLAREN F1 NURBURGRING.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 34
But where in the article does it mention the 7.11? What tyres were used? I can see from the pic above they are not the usual road tyres used for the consumer's road car!

**Sorry I just saw your comment mentioning the lost page! Go - Find it! Nowwwww ;)

***Update: Just bought a remaining issue off ebay - so we'll know in a few days :D

- people have already posted some times of Mclaren F1 - My philosophy with tyres is:
Comfort: All street Legal Tyres
SPORTS: Non dot approved tyres including semi slicks, slicks with grooves and slicks hard!
Racing: Racing slicks - I'm quite sure if you apply these to road cars that it's no different to playing super mario! (Totally unrealiatic fir ANY road car)

So if you want to try out your luck with the mclaren F1 and the nurb, use a max of Comfort Softs, no aids (except maybe abs1) and post your times!

Last edited:
There was a discussion in lambopower where one person told this I am not sure of it though.The laptime was not 7:11 it was more like 7:22.The 7:11 laptime was in wikipedia and video was there on mclaren site.It was tested in nurburgring by mika to develop a new gtr for 1997 season xp5.
If you find it then please tell me about it.But the lap time was estimated one.I found some more sources for 7:11 laptime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times
http://twinrev.com/cars/Fastest-Pro...m-Nurburgring-lap-times-under-7-14.60-6606501
http://www.mobisux.com/ubbthreads.p...post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71595&page=2
Usual tires of F1 look like that during driving.
If you are talking of laptime in GT6 I did 6:53 on SH,7:07 on CS,7:12 on CM.

Last edited:
Bytheway, I can see in the pictures that there are 3 people in the car!! Were they in the car when they did their Best Lap?

MclarenGT - How the heck did you manage a 7.12 with CS? That is exceptionally fast!

Can you also try it in AC and give us results? And naybe do the same in Project cars?

Sorry but I don't have Project cars.But in AC there is no F1 and I feel that laptimes for race cars are too slow.The fastest lap in real life for the F1 GTR in spa is 2:17 but in AC it is around 2:28.
Bytheway, I can see in the pictures that there are 3 people in the car!! Were they in the car when they did their Best Lap?

MclarenGT - How the heck did you manage a 7.12 with CS? That is exceptionally fast!

Can you also try it in AC and give us results? And naybe do the same in Project cars?

With P1 I managed a laptime 6:40 that is faster thanF1 GTR .

On CS i managed 7:07 and on CM I managed 7:12.I myself did laptimes of 7:24 with SH tires,after that I practiced and got used to the cars,handling and raced with my ghost.

In PCars the fastest lap for F1 is 7:14

No,for fast lap they were not there and it was done in damp condition

There was a discussion in lambopower where one person told this I am not sure of it though.The laptime was not 7:11 it was more like 7:22.The 7:11 laptime was in wikipedia and video was there on mclaren site.It was tested in nurburgring by mika to develop a new gtr for 1997 season xp5.
If you find it then please tell me about it.But the lap time was estimated one.I found some more sources for 7:11 laptime
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nürburgring_Nordschleife_lap_times
http://twinrev.com/cars/Fastest-Pro...m-Nurburgring-lap-times-under-7-14.60-6606501
http://www.mobisux.com/ubbthreads.p...post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71595&page=2
Usual tires of F1 look like that during driving.
If you are talking of laptime in GT6 I did 6:53 on SH,7:07 on CS,7:12 on CM.

Great times indeed. I will test F1 sometime today on CS to find out what a realistic lap could be without risking too much as I can see that you were full on! I guess the car Mika made the 7'11" time was on grippy road tires (=CS) which were better than production ones on 1992 and brake pads were much more heavy duty than the stock ones. ABS is a quastion as an update for 1997 would have it for sure, so I will test in with ABS=1 and update here for my time.

Great times indeed. I will test F1 sometime today on CS to find out what a realistic lap could be without risking too much as I can see that you were full on! I guess the car Mika made the 7'11" time was on grippy road tires (=CS) which were better than production ones on 1992 and brake pads were much more heavy duty than the stock ones. ABS is a quastion as an update for 1997 would have it for sure, so I will test in with ABS=1 and update here for my time.
No,7:11 was done in 1996 so there is no chance for grippy tires and good brake pads,it was a stock XP5,not a tuned one.To do 7:07 you have to practice with F1 several times.No, I was not full on with CS as I was with SH,just giving it a lot of push.

This car has lots of body rolls.Go be gentle with the throttle. Mika Hakkinen tested F1 so as to know what changes had to be made for F1 GTR to remain competitive for 1997 and accordingly F1 GT was developed.With a F1 GTR 95 I did a 6:10.981.

Please try to lap with exactly with cornering speeds I posted for circuit breaker article so as to know laptimes posted by Jonathan Palmer.

MclarenGT Can you post a vid of your CS run? It would be interesting to see!

I will probably upload it in a week or 2 if you don't mind the quality of video,I will shoot it with camera,I don't have PS3 recorder.

This is how F1 pushed to limits(80%) looks like

You can note that it corners fast inspite of body rolls.It reaches same part of the track from around 6:52.5 to 8:18 estimated laptime of 1:25.5 faster than a Nissan GTR(1:27.7).

Mika tested F1 XP5 in nurburgring 2 YRS after he tested it in japan in this video.

The 2:17 laptime of F1 GTR at spa is equivalent to 2:11 in today's spa as it was in slower configuration then.The 2002 F1 which is around 5s faster than 2015 F1 in average track in terms of laptime only laps as fast as 2015 F1 at that configuration

Last edited:
I'm only really interested in the nurb. Sorry.

On comfort softs I was able to get a 7:05. There's a bit left but I didn't have a lot of time. I'll give it a go again when I can.
Enough to have a sample more and know if it is viable so thanks a lot.

Back