McLaren Speedtail Hits 250mph With Ease During Cape Canaveral Test Sessions

• Thread starter RocZX
  • 278 comments
I thought it was going to look really good, then I remembered McLaren’s awful design language that the 720s started.

Now watch as the GT-R version is made in six months, because that seems to be the period of time in between every new model they produce.

Found there in a google image search
It was a Swiss site but they deleted the article
https://goo.gl/images/kj7Vds
View attachment 776160 View attachment 776161 View attachment 776162 View attachment 776163

I instantly thought of the Dodge M4S from The Wraith movie when I saw that.

32560659-2E77-4011-BAD9-8A408E460B41.jpeg

Wow, that front end looks like a really bad 2000s concept car. Although the side profile and the rear is quite lovely.

Looks a hell of a lot better than any other recent McLaren. Remind me, is this supposed to be a crazy track record beater?

Compared to mockups/renders of it I've seen before, it looks surprisingly clear. Love it. The only thing I'd change about it are front rims, but I'm more than sure they have a good purpose (and they also remind me of Autech Zagato Stelvio's rims).

Oh wow... its giving me similar feelings that the pagani huayra did when i first saw it. Very strange, completely unexpected and I instantly really like it.

Really like it.

Looks like crap. Not aggressive at all and I'm struggling to find the 'McLaren' in it. Maybe the ugly nose? Makes the 720 look good imo.

The sweeping tail reminds me of the old Oldsmobile Aerotech concept.

I also feel like this is something a client commissioned MSO to build using the 720S chassis (like that older X-1 one-off McLaren built on the 12C body), not something McLaren's designers actually came up with as homage to the F1. I think that's what annoys me most; 106 to be made, a high top speed, a center driving position, the ultimate road McLaren, and yet as far as the actual design goes, it has nothing that pays tribute to the most iconic supercar of all time.

The sweeping tail reminds me of the old Oldsmobile Aerotech concept.

I also feel like this is something a client commissioned MSO to build using the 720S chassis (like that older X-1 one-off McLaren built on the 12C body), not something McLaren's designers actually came up with as homage to the F1. I think that's what annoys me most; 106 to be made, a high top speed, a center driving position, the ultimate road McLaren, and yet as far as the actual design goes, it has nothing that pays tribute to the most iconic supercar of all time.
It's almost like they thought an elongated 720 with the steering wheel in the middle would be some type of homage to their most iconic car.

much uglier than Senna
Highly debatabe. Still, both are far from as bad as P1, which looks like it's endlessly laughing its rear bumper off.

...and yet as far as the actual design goes, it has nothing that pays tribute to the most iconic supercar of all time
Not sure about any of you, but I personally find it somewhat similar to F1 GT.
mclaren-f1-gt.jpg

By the way, I've noticed quite an interesting detail about it:
0886e27b-mclaren-speedtail-1.jpg

This picture shows one of its speedtail flaps raised. What's interesting is how it's seamlessly attached to the body and yet can bend at the joint. What material is it made of?

I am immensely disappointed in the design if these image grabs are the actual car, which they very much seem to be. It looks fast, it looks huge, and it looks like it needs a design critique -- although it will be popular in Saudi Arabia, which is what I thought when i first saw the Chiron (i.e. "Designed for Saudi princes...").

Already a lot of people don't like the way it looks but I kinda do. If I were to describe the look of the Speedtail the words i'd use are things like "Flowy" "Smooth" "Clean" That sort of thing. It isn't really meant to look all In-Your-Face like the Senna does with it's oversized rear wing.

I love it. I love that it doesnt have vents everywhere, or a rear wing taller than a van, or anything that says "generic supercar" to me.

And I love "long tail" cars ala F1 GT and this one definitely looks like that.

Now I hope they do take it to a high speed test track to see how fast it actually is, instead of just saying "oh it's faster than the F1".

At first glance, looks like a generic Regera kit car ripoff to me. It doesn't scream McLaren at all, or even echo any of the F1's design elements (the side strakes, the four taillights, the bonnet scoop). I'm sure it will be fast, but man the design is just so uninspiring (except those front covered rims - love it!).

And this is coming from someone who finds the Senna good looking. Not pretty, but purposeful and aggressive at least.

Back