Mercedes-AMG One: An F1-Engined Hypercar

Such a weird looking car
But in a good way :D

It kinda has to be now that we are in the era of a lot of crazy looking hypercars. I guess it wouldn't have satisfied Mercedes if it looked more like the standard models in the way the CLK GTR did, although personally I would have preferred that.

It kinda has to be now that we are in the era of a lot of crazy looking hypercars. I guess it wouldn't have satisfied Mercedes if it looked more like the standard models in the way the CLK GTR did, although personally I would have preferred that.
To be fair the CLK GTR is technically still a CLK, so it makes sense it's similar to the base car while the One is its own thing, so it can have its own design as well. But yeah, a "normal Merc" grille would have been pretty cool.

To be fair the CLK GTR is technically still a CLK, so it makes sense it's similar to the base car while the One is its own thing, so it can have its own design as well. But yeah, a "normal Merc" grille would have been pretty cool.

It was only really a CLK visually, but I do understand what you're saying, this is not a derivative of something else so doesn't really have to look like the rest of the range. It just would have been nice if there was a little more that screams Mercedes on it other than just the badge.

It was only really a CLK visually, but I do understand what you're saying, this is not a derivative of something else so doesn't really have to look like the rest of the range. It just would have been nice if there was a little more that screams Mercedes on it other than just the badge.

Technically it is a derivative of a Mercedes car line, that line however is not at all road worthy, and happens to be the last 5 years of F1 winning race cars.

lewis-hamilton-drives-the-mercedes-amg-one.jpg

They also revealed their E Performance branding which will be used on all future AMG EVs

upload_2020-12-14_12-25-1.png

Looks really good in that red and black livery. Now imagine how it would look in a racing livery.....
I'd find it funny if they make a racing version of it. "We've gone through all this trouble to make the engine road legal, and now you want us to make it a racing engine again? Schei*e"

Those are airbrakes?

Think they are just vents for the wheel wells to cool the brakes and balance airflow. Quite a few race and performance cars have them but they usually aren't adaptive.

Surprised they covered up/removed the Mercedes emblem in that livery. Is this because the car is going to be known as a purely AMG branded vehicle perhaps?

Last edited:
Think they are just vents for the wheel wells to cool the brakes and balance airflow. Quite a few race and performance cars have them but they usually aren't adaptive.

Surprised they covered up/removed the Mercedes emblem in that livery. Is this because the car is going to be known as a purely AMG branded vehicle perhaps?
It's still going to be a Mercedes-AMG. The Merc logo will be airbrushed onto the car during production.

Will never afford it, but hyped to see this car when it's finally in production form.

There are billionaires who will never be able to get one.

They are making 275... they had full payment for 1,275 with more to come.

On a technical level I want to see how they make a "1.6 litre F1 V6" and all that MGU-K/H work in a production car.

Probably multiple purposes. Their main purpose is to allow high pressure air in the wheel wells to escape out the top, just like race cars. But you can't simply have a hole on a street car, so they made adaptive flaps. While driving at high speed these flaps will probably only be open a small amount but under braking could open fully, acting as massive Gurney flaps, creating a large low pressure zone behind them which not only allows high pressure wheel well air to escape but further sucks air up through the openings, enhancing downforce while braking and in low speed corners. The massive open holes that current LMP cars are using aren't actually the most efficient design to evacuate the wheel wells in most cases. Normally you would want small Gurney flaps to assist, like most old race cars had with their serrations. But the modern massive holes do work best in one situation, when the car becomes airborne and a tremendous amount of airflow needs to be evacuated to prevent a flip. That's why modern LMPs just have huge holes above the wheels rather than a more performance-oriented design.

Last edited:
According to R&T's early coverage, they open at high speeds for ventilation. No mention of them working under braking, though.
The most interesting detail seems to be a collection of active louvers cut into the carbon fiber front fenders. When open, these slats will provide motorsport-levels of ventilation, which reduces the excess pressure produced by the rotating wheels, and thus the uplift. But since you only need that at high speeds, the AMG One will show its cleaner lines when cruising in front of the cameras of your local boulevard.
https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a23491086/amg-one-active-aero/

Thanks.

Looking at the photo again, I realize it was a stupid question.

Last edited:
Probably multiple purposes. Their main purpose is to allow high pressure air in the wheel wells to escape out the top, just like race cars. But you can't simply have a hole on a street car, so they made adaptive flaps. While driving at high speed these flaps will probably only be open a small amount but under braking could open fully, acting as massive Gurney flaps, creating a large low pressure zone behind them which not only allows high pressure wheel well air to escape but further sucks air up through the openings, enhancing downforce while braking and in low speed corners. The massive open holes that current LMP cars are using aren't actually the most efficient design to evacuate the wheel wells in most cases. Normally you would want small Gurney flaps to assist, like most old race cars had with their serrations. But the modern massive holes do work best in one situation, when the car becomes airborne and a tremendous amount of airflow needs to be evacuated to prevent a flip. That's why modern LMPs just have huge holes above the wheels rather than a more performance-oriented design.

I wonder why they don't just stick passive slats like the 911 GT3 RS. Would save some weight not having to have hydraulics for opening/closing. It definitely won't look as cool though :P

On a technical level I want to see how they make a "1.6 litre F1 V6" and all that MGU-K/H work in a production car.

Basically the engine is detuned so it's not at the same stress levels. An average F1 engine would power the car for the whole season if the teams didn't extract all its performance, for the road car it operates within a "sensible" level although it remains to be seen what the average yearly mileage of one of these is. Some will probably run less than an F1 weekend in their whole lives :lol:

I wonder why they don't just stick passive slats like the 911 GT3 RS. Would save some weight not having to have hydraulics for opening/closing. It definitely won't look as cool though :P

They're probably electric, and electric motors nowadays are pretty small and light. Making them active gives Mercedes a lot more flexibility and optimization space to control the pressure.

A nice look into the AMG-One with some good photos of the test car above.

The original link if you can read German.
https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de...812567&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram

English translation by Google.
https://translate.google.com/transl...812567&utm_medium=social&utm_source=instagram

The louvers get a paragraph mentioned, a note that they can be moved depending the mode.
Time for the Fender Louvres, the slats on the wheel arches that can be opened depending on the mode. Invisible: the smooth underbody including the flaps that guide the flow to the diffuser in the rear. The wing, which can be hydraulically adjusted in several levels (titanium pipes!) And which retracts its extra extension via the DRS button on the steering wheel, also works there. The resulting downforce at the rear requires intensive aero efforts at the front, including moving elements, says Jastrow. 65 pressure and position sensors are solely responsible for aerodynamics and chassis.
Mercedes-AMG-One-Exterieur-169Gallery-1f8fb7ae-1751350.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-One-Exterieur-169Gallery-be8643b3-1751353.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-One-Exterieur-169Gallery-b8c9a88f-1751363.jpg

Mercedes-AMG-One-Interieur-169Gallery-be05ec5f-1751369.jpg

Aside from the fact that hypercars annoy me greatly because none of them race, this is one of my favorites of the past many years. It's shape and graphics are really unusual for a car like this. It's a dopey looking but I like it. It looks like a tube. It reminds me of cars like the Nazca C2, Scighera, 18/3 Chiron (did Italidesign do the AMG One?), Audi Avus and Rosemeyer, Isdera Commendatore, stuff like that. All of them are sort of bulbous tubes...a weird look for a sporty car but an interesting and striking one. Speaking of Isdera, apparently they debuted an electric supercar in 2018 that also has a similar tube-like silhouette.

To be honest, this thing doesn't look like a Mercedes at all, it looks more like those cars I mentioned than a Mercedes. But I like it.

Last edited:
Interesting that they mentioned the engine needs to be preheated before it could start. So you could only drive off from a cold start in electric mode unless you want to wait. I know F1 engines can't be cold started because of the piston tolerances, but I thought this would be one of the things that they "fixed" when making it road legal :lol:

Personally this whole car feels very compromised to me. It just feels like something they do because they can, and to show the "road relevance" of their 7x WCCs. If it uses a conventional drivetrain, I bet they could make it just as fast, even lighter and with a lot less compromises. I'm more interested in the Valkyrie and T50 before this, but each to their own.

To me it does not look like a "Mercedes" - it looks like they revised a McLaren F1 and forced a W08/9 drivetrain underneath it.

The CLK GTR looks like a Mercedes, so does a C111.

I also think for most people, they are "supercar'ed" out.

The numbers kind of show they will never make any money on these like how the F1 and Veyron never made money.

Vanity projects for the SHMEE150s and Salomon Brothers of the world.

To me it does not look like a "Mercedes" - it looks like they revised a McLaren F1 and forced a W08/9 drivetrain underneath it.

The CLK GTR looks like a Mercedes, so does a C111.

I also think for most people, they are "supercar'ed" out.

The numbers kind of show they will never make any money on these like how the F1 and Veyron never made money.

Vanity projects for the SHMEE150s and Salomon Brothers of the world.

Well put Tony, this car reminds me of another F1 inspired project, that actually worked with little compromises, except when you brought the car you were not allowed to Keep it, lol.

1200px-2017-06-30_-_Goodwood_Festival_Of_Speed_-_Ferrari_FXXK_%2834825946973%29.jpg

At least this worked and even it's predeccesor, THE F-XX achieved a stonking 1min10sec lap around the Top Gear Test Track. Hopefully we can see a feature of the AMG Merc also on Top gear with in depth analysis and speedruns.

Also lookin forward to the turbine inspired, powered Murray T50.

Last edited:
Yeah it’s for downforce and a bit of cooling, it’s a fan not a turbine.

I said it was a fan, Why the correction, but ok whatever.....

I said "turbine inspired" as I was obviously being sarcastic. :confused:

Back