Mercedes-AMG One: An F1-Engined Hypercar

‘turbine inspired, powered Murray T50.‘

Clark, did you even ready POST no.208 of mine before you decided to reply?? 💡

Last edited:
The numbers kind of show they will never make any money on these like how the F1 and Veyron never made money.

Vanity projects for the SHMEE150s and Salomon Brothers of the world.
That's not really true anymore. There's a lot of competition in this hypercar market, esp. when people are buying out the cars before the public ever sees them because they can make bigger returns on their investments.

On top of that, whilst the Veyron did not make any money, it did setup the underpinnings for Chiron, where Bugatti has started making money back.

ZEE
Well put Tony, this car reminds me of another F1 inspired project, that actually worked with little compromises, except when you brought the car you were not allowed to Keep it, lol.
That's a long dis-proven myth. Every participant of the XX Programme could/can keep their car at their homes. It's just far easier & cheaper to let Ferrari store the cars, look after maintenance, & handle shipping costs.
QYQWuFq.jpg

Meanwhile, Michael Fux keeps his FXX at his collection, as does Larry Caplin.
IMG3730-L.jpg

Last edited:
Oh cool Mclaren, thank you for pointing that out to me. Cheers. I wish I had a FXX to hoon about. :lol:

Last edited:
Let's look at some raw numbers.

There's going to be 275 of these are $2.75 mil. each. so that's about $756 mil. for the whole set.

I'm putting it out there that this car cost a lot more than $756 mil. to make.

In fact, can you build any car, even something as simple as a Kia compact hatch for $756 mil.? As in the delivery cost to get those first production cars out (as in R&D, crash, production line, adverse weather testing, drivetrain, emissions, wind tunnel etc.)

Mercedes is subsidising this as a halo car.

Of course I'm not taking into account long term maintenance costs. I have no doubt they are charging $50k for a set of tyres, $10k for oil cjhange or $25k for a pair of wheels like McLaren, Bugatti etc. They could be taking it in the back end so to speak (just like the customer lol???)

Last edited:
Let's look at some raw numbers.

There's going to be 275 of these are $2.75 mil. each. so that's about $756 mil. for the whole set.

I'm putting it out there that this car cost a lot more than $756 mil. to make.

In fact, can you build any car, even something as simple as a Kia compact hatch for $756 mil.? As in the delivery cost to get those first production cars out (as in R&D, crash, production line, adverse weather testing, drivetrain, emissions, wind tunnel etc.)

Mercedes is subsidising this as a halo car.

Of course I'm not taking into account long term maintenance costs. I have no doubt they are charging $50k for a set of tyres, $10k for oil cjhange or $25k for a pair of wheels like McLaren, Bugatti etc. They could be taking it in the back end so to speak (just like the customer lol???)
They're not.
BONUS FACT: Project One will post a profit.

So says Ola Kaellanius, even though F1 engines can easily cost seven figures and even though certain other manufacturers might be willing to take a hit just to celebrate three world championships and to put this sort of car in its showrooms. We'll never learn what its profit margin is, of course, but consider this: at 2.275-million euro, or about $2.53 million each, we figure gross revenues from this car will be roughly equal to that of 12,000 nicely equipped Mercedes-Benz E-Classes.
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/ten-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-mercedes-amg-project-one/

with all due respect, gross revenue isnt profit
Debate that with automobile mag, then. You’re making statements based on assumption, I’m just sharing you a quote from a higher up involved saying otherwise.

Last edited:
Debate that with automobile mag, then. You’re making statements based on assumption, I’m just sharing you a quote from a higher up involved saying otherwise.
Gross revenue is not profit, it's the total amout of revenue received before deductions. If you sell something for £100 but spent £150 on it, you have a gross revenue of £100 despite making loss.

Unfortunatrely I cannot read that article at present (unavailavle to most European countries) so can't read further into the context than what has been posted here.

Gross revenue is not profit, it's the total amout of revenue received before deductions. If you sell something for £100 but spent £150 on it, you have a gross revenue of £100 despite making loss.

Unfortunatrely I cannot read that article at present (unavailavle to most European countries) so can't read further into the context than what has been posted here.

Relevant bit:

BONUS FACT: Project One will post a profit.

So says Ola Kaellanius, even though F1 engines can easily cost seven figures and even though certain other manufacturers might be willing to take a hit just to celebrate three world championships and to put this sort of car in its showrooms. We'll never learn what its profit margin is, of course, but consider this: at 2.275-million euro, or about $2.53 million each, we figure gross revenues from this car will be roughly equal to that of 12,000 nicely equipped Mercedes-Benz E-Classes.

Article is not claiming gross revenue = profit. Article is claiming that the project will post a profit, but the only figure actually known is gross revenue which leaves the exact margin unknown.

Last edited:

Again, I am merely sharing a source citing the head of Mercedes-Benz who is claiming the car will post a profit as a contradiction to the assumption the car will be sold at a loss. Everything after his statement is the magazine sharing their take on it based on the est. MSRP known.

Again, I am merely sharing a source citing the head of Mercedes-Benz who is claiming the car will post a profit as a contradiction to the assumption the car will be sold at a loss. Everything after his statement is the magazine sharing their take on it based on the est. MSRP known.
Like I said, I could't read the article for any context, I was just stating a fact that gross revenue is not profit. It never is profit unless there are nil deductions to the sale.

But based on that paragraph @Eunos_Cosmo quoted, there is nothing in there to suggest it will or won't make a profit other than "so says" either. That doesn't mean it won't make a profit, just that the article doesn't provide a reason or anything useful as to why or how much that will be.

Last edited:
Like I said, I could't read the article for any context, I was just stating a fact that gross revenue is not profit. It never is profit unless there are nil deductions to the sale.
There is no further context; the article is about the car's technical aspects. The part I quoted was a bonus paragraph added in.
But based on that paragraph @Eunos_Cosmo quoted, there is nothing in there to suggest it will or won't make a profit either. The writer clearly has no grasp of accounts (and why should he, he's an automotive journalist). That doesn't mean it won't make a profit, just that the article doesn't provide a reason or anything useful as to why or how much that will be.
Project One will post a profit, So says Ola Kaellanius
I must be missing how the Chairman of Daimler & Head of M-B saying the car will post a profit is not suggesting such.

There is no further context; the article is about the car's technical aspects. The part I quoted was a bonus paragraph added in.

I must be missing how the Chairman of Daimler & Head of M-B saying the car will post a profit is not suggesting such.
I know, I edited to point that out, quickly scanned it on my phone first then realised I missed that. It was just that @TonyJZX 's post and your response inclined me to point out that fact about Gross Revenue as it seemed to possibly be a focal point of the aricle.

Now I can see the relevant part of the article though it clearly isn't the reason the article states that it will sell at a profit, just a pointless mention. I am not dissagreeing with you at all, just making a factually correct statement about gross revenue, but I think we can leave it there as it's clearly just a phrase that was initially plucked out of the article and nothing more.

Last edited:
The "it will turn a profit" statement is so vague that I just take it at face value and ascribe nothing positive or negative towards it, merely an "ok, cool".

Without exact numbers, it's so hard to say how true, or what degree of truth that statement is. I don't know German tax code or accounting methods well, but are there deductions or write-offs that can be taken for R&D? How are they apportioning overhead to this program? Is there capital depreciation that is taken, and how does that work? Etc. Etc. Who knows for sure.

Does anybody actually care about this profit argument? Apparently y'all love the idea of museum-piece hypercars and whether or not they'll turn a profit, over questioning whether they'll turn a lap. Why is this even being talked about? I thought we were a bunch of obnoxiously traditional racing enthusiasts here at GTP. When did we transition to car collectors, fans of dry rotted and flat spotted tires, and investment advisors?

Does anybody actually care about this profit argument? Apparently y'all love the idea of museum-piece hypercars and whether or not they'll turn a profit, over questioning whether they'll turn a lap. Why is this even being talked about? I thought we were a bunch of obnoxiously traditional racing enthusiasts here at GTP. When did we transition to car collectors, fans of dry rotted and flat spotted tires, and investment advisors?

I personally couldn't give a toss whether it returns a profit or not. And i'm not much one for hypercars either.
I am excited for this one though, as given the success of Mercedes AMG, in formula 1, i think it's really cool they've made a roadgoing F1 car to celebrate the fact.

You seem to be forgetting that our true collective passion here at GTP is digressing into self destructive semantic arguments about topics that do not matter at all.

877 HP, 535 lb-ft, 3737 lbs (1695 kg). Quite some ways off the initial projected specs. I know Forza isn't the paragon of realism and the car is still not finalised, but surely Mercedes wouldn't let them portray the car being slower than the actual one, especially with it being the cover car.

Looks like she's finally done.

There's about 2-3 more videos available as well from other YouTubers, so I assume the embargo or whatever just lifted in the last hour.

Took them long enough, the promo video is a bit cringe. Top gear one is more digestable.

I do love the lowered stance it can do ala FORD GT 2019, a very cool party trick! Ideally since Lewis Hamilton helped develop this car he should have it in his section of the brand central in GT7, in a later update fingers crossed! :cool:

But hopefully it lives up to its clout and can compete with the likes of the Valkyries, Gemeras, Evija, Nevera types of exclusive clubs of Hyper EV's!

Last edited:
Very strange upshift sounds. Long pause before throttle application. I'm wondering if they're torque-filling that with the battery to reduce stress on the drivetrain during shifts. Is this supposed to be a dual or single clutch transmission?

Very strange upshift sounds. Long pause before throttle application. I'm wondering if they're torque-filling that with the battery to reduce stress on the drivetrain during shifts. Is this supposed to be a dual or single clutch transmission?
7-speed single clutch.

Last edited:
I don't know if being six seconds faster than the GT2 RS MR is impressive for the AMG or for the Porsche. Leaning towards the Porsche which is a volume production based, rear-engined, 2WD, metal unibody car with very limited underbody aero. Though the conditions didn't seem great for the AMG. Anybody know what an FIA GT3 car will do around the Nordschleife?

Back