Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes/The Phantom Pain

• Thread starter Ddrizle
  • 3,057 comments
I get you, but Kojima had 5 years to make Phantom Pain but he barely made a Chapter 2, the first chapter was good. Also, the ending was stupid.

Just imagine if they gave him an extra year to work on chapter 2 though :(, the missions would have been better however I think the overall ending would have been more or less the same.

Just imagine if they gave him an extra year to work on chapter 2 though :(, the missions would have been better however I think the overall ending would have been more or less the same.

Yeah, remember the guy had 5 years! plus chapter 2 was just spam, I respect him for chapter one but they just killed of Skull face too quick and the showtime on Quite is ridiculous, it's as if the studio spent most the time gazing on her. Also, her plot is just silly.

Meanwhile, the plot of Ishmael is broken, I believe it was a last minute change. In the hospital scene he is shot down then reappears hiding by the door, plus there's enough proof built from GZ. I personally believe He is a Hallucination, and Kingdom of the files would've been a epic ending if it was made.

Fingers crossed for Definitive Ex!

Last edited:
Yeah, remember the guy had 5 years! plus chapter 2 was just spam, I respect him for chapter one but they just killed of Skull face too quick and the showtime on Quite is ridiculous, it's as if the studio spent most the time gazing on her. Also, her plot is just silly.

I think to be honest he got a little carried away with it all, instead of sticking to the working formula he tried to be so far out of the box it just fell flat in many areas. Still we always have Metal Gear Survive to look forward too :yuck:

I think to be honest he got a little carried away with it all, instead of sticking to the working formula he tried to be so far out of the box it just fell flat in many areas. Still we always have Metal Gear Survive to look forward too :yuck:

I remember watching in 2011 when the Fox Engine was made, plus Ground Zeroes was near finish in late 2012. The guy had been tinkering with the engine and wasting time putting himself in the game.

Genius takes time. :P

Plus, there are conspiracy theories that Kojima was intentionally trying to use as much time and money possible on MGSV in order to explicitly tick Konami off. Some more out there theories even speculate that the whole P.T./Silent Hills project was a bit of subterfuge on Kojima's part, made and released without Konami's awareness or permission... I doubt it though.

For PC users, this mod looks great: http://www.nexusmods.com/metalgearsolidvtpp/mods/45/?

Subsistence mode for all missions! I'd like to do the early missions like that, but it'd no doubt render later ones (basically any involving the Skulls) impossible. It does so many other things, too, I might try it out but I've no idea how to mod MGS V yet.

There's also a mod to get S+ and S++ soldiers to spawn in the field (maybe Infinite Heaven does that too, I haven't checked)... Depending on how frequent that is, I'd be tempted because getting the various teams to high enough levels to develop stuff normally would take hundreds of hours and I just don't think the game has that much longevity. I quite enjoy free roaming sometimes so it'd give me a reason to do that again.

It seems a lot like one of those projects that could have gone on forever, though. A bit like GT5. By the time Kojima had everything to his liking a new console gen would be out and he'd have to rebuild it all over again. Unfortunately, Konami probably made the right call just putting it out and getting their money back.

Guys... Guys. If you're on PC, you have to try Infinite Heaven. I've got it set up for free roam semi-subsistence (no guns or items but wormholes, stealth suit and buddies) with all my side ops reset, all types of vehicles patrolling (I turned helicopters off, though, because launchers are rare...), extra minefields, roaming patrols and a few other things tweaked. It's a lot of fun, but I also got the S++ soldiers mod so I actually have a reason to free roam. I've got a graphical mod too that increases the high LOD draw distance, it reduces visible pop-in and draws shadows in the distance, it looks amazing.

There's a mod that adjusts camo effectiveness, it basically fixes camo so that suitable patterns work in the proper environments, I might get that. Beyond that I can't think of any other mods I'd want - item unlockers and modification de-restrictors don't interest me - but I haven't had a good look yet.

Guys... Guys. If you're on PC, you have to try Infinite Heaven. I've got it set up for free roam semi-subsistence (no guns or items but wormholes, stealth suit and buddies) with all my side ops reset, all types of vehicles patrolling (I turned helicopters off, though, because launchers are rare...), extra minefields, roaming patrols and a few other things tweaked. It's a lot of fun, but I also got the S++ soldiers mod so I actually have a reason to free roam. I've got a graphical mod too that increases the high LOD draw distance, it reduces visible pop-in and draws shadows in the distance, it looks amazing.

There's a mod that adjusts camo effectiveness, it basically fixes camo so that suitable patterns work in the proper environments, I might get that. Beyond that I can't think of any other mods I'd want - item unlockers and modification de-restrictors don't interest me - but I haven't had a good look yet.

I honestly wonder why we don't see armored vehicle patrols and the like? Mother Base itself feels lifeless too, no training? No seeing soldiers returning from missions or deploying to missions? Or other choppers flying around? No boat patrols?

I honestly wonder why we don't see armored vehicle patrols and the like? Mother Base itself feels lifeless too, no training? No seeing soldiers returning from missions or deploying to missions? Or other choppers flying around? No boat patrols?

With Infinite Heaven you can configure it to have helicopters (both combat and transport, apparently) flying around, I saw options to have soldiers move between struts, too. I haven't actually been there since I installed the mod though, I guess I should. You can also have custom MB events like Skull or XOF attacks with helicopters, war games (where it makes your staff hostile to you) and others. It's a shame the vanilla game couldn't have all these things in it, but at least this mod has enabled some customisation in that regard.

With Infinite Heaven you can configure it to have helicopters (both combat and transport, apparently) flying around, I saw options to have soldiers move between struts, too. I haven't actually been there since I installed the mod though, I guess I should. You can also have custom MB events like Skull or XOF attacks with helicopters, war games (where it makes your staff hostile to you) and others. It's a shame the vanilla game couldn't have all these things in it, but at least this mod has enabled some customisation in that regard.

Yeah it is. Maybe I'll get a better PC down the line just to play a modded MGSV.

But I've read the guidebook and it said the enemy will start actively deploying armored vehicles if you yourself caused a lot of combat alerts whilst using your APC or tank or even Pequod. I think I'll try that later. Might as well go full mayhem for Demon Snake since I haven't attained that status yet.

But I've read the guidebook and it said the enemy will start actively deploying armored vehicles if you yourself caused a lot of combat alerts whilst using your APC or tank or even Pequod. I think I'll try that later. Might as well go full mayhem for Demon Snake since I haven't attained that status yet.

As an avid user of the support helicopter, I can confirm that the only change in enemy equipment when using it frequently is that they start handing out manpads to their soldiers. I haven't used IFV's and tanks that much, but I suppose it's possible that the AI might start employing those in response to you doing such a thing. Certainly makes sense.

I've heard outpost guards talk about HQ sending armored vehicles to outposts, but outside of specific missions, I've never seen it. But as we've been over previously, the world and its inhabitants feel horribly underused. I want to facepalm whenever I see a lone supply truck driving about in enemy territory... The two man LRRP's you encounter in a lot of missions also don't make a whole lot of sense, as it would be far too easy for enemy forces to take them out. 8-12 man teams would make more sense.

As an avid user of the support helicopter, I can confirm that the only change in enemy equipment when using it frequently is that they start handing out manpads to their soldiers. I haven't used IFV's and tanks that much, but I suppose it's possible that the AI might start employing those in response to you doing such a thing. Certainly makes sense.

I've heard outpost guards talk about HQ sending armored vehicles to outposts, but outside of specific missions, I've never seen it. But as we've been over previously, the world and its inhabitants feel horribly underused. I want to facepalm whenever I see a lone supply truck driving about in enemy territory... The two man LRRP's you encounter in a lot of missions also don't make a whole lot of sense, as it would be far too easy for enemy forces to take them out. 8-12 man teams would make more sense.

Yeah it feels like the enemy are out on a peace keeping mission rather than in a warzone. I'll do some mayhem with armored vehicles on main missions and in free roam and see if the enemy calls them up for reinforcement or have them deployed from the get go.

I had hoped that the patrols you can configure in IH would be of the four-man type you see in armoured vehicle side op teams, but they're just the two-man ones you see in missions. Also I found IH can be set to add more interrogation outcomes; sometimes they tell you about the LRRPs, armoured vehicle patrol routes and every now and then you find one who tells you about someone at a different outpost who has a stash, then when you get there and find the right person they'll "tell you where it is", except (I suppose due to limitations in what the mod can do) the stash doesn't exist and instead you get some extra items with your next delivery to MB. I got 1x mist parasite, so it's hardly anything game breaking.

Also I played a number of hours of high chaos free roam and I never saw a single tank. There isn't an icon in the enemy prep display (you know, the coloured squares that show things like night vision, shields, cameras, snipers and such) for armoured vehicles, anyway; I expect it was cut at the last minute or never finished which would explain why there's dialogue and a guide book mention for it.

I had hoped that the patrols you can configure in IH would be of the four-man type you see in armoured vehicle side op teams, but they're just the two-man ones you see in missions. Also I found IH can be set to add more interrogation outcomes; sometimes they tell you about the LRRPs, armoured vehicle patrol routes and every now and then you find one who tells you about someone at a different outpost who has a stash, then when you get there and find the right person they'll "tell you where it is", except (I suppose due to limitations in what the mod can do) the stash doesn't exist and instead you get some extra items with your next delivery to MB. I got 1x mist parasite, so it's hardly anything game breaking.

Also I played a number of hours of high chaos free roam and I never saw a single tank. There isn't an icon in the enemy prep display (you know, the coloured squares that show things like night vision, shields, cameras, snipers and such) for armoured vehicles, anyway; I expect it was cut at the last minute or never finished which would explain why there's dialogue and a guide book mention for it.

Maybe you have to do it on main missions? To be fair the gas mask icon is not listed either but yet you can see the AI use it if you use smoke or sleep grenades a lot.

I hope someday Konami finish off the game, as all the voice acting is done for the remaining chapters. There's some left over unused audio in the game which is very interesting but sad at the same time to know what's missing.

I hope someday Konami finish off the game, as all the voice acting is done for the remaining chapters. There's some left over unused audio in the game which is very interesting but sad at the same time to know what's missing.
There's an ultimate edition due to be released soon, which contains Ground Zeroes, The Phantom Pain and all of the DLC released so far - but it won't contain any additional content. According to Kojima, "Chapter 3" was cut early in the development cycle, but they haven't ruled out telling a story through online events.

I'd say the chances are better of getting fans and modders to do it.

I'm still having a lot of fun with the Infinite Heaven and S++ soldier mods, the latter makes much more sense for people who don't do FOB missions, even though I've captured loads of S to S++ soldiers since getting the mod and my highest team is still only level 113. Given that some of the later items require levels of over 140, I'm not sure how anyone is supposed to achieve that without playing nothing but FOB missions for ages, which isn't something I have the patience for. Then again I guess it's pretty much academic anyway, you don't really need anything better than grade 7 (if even that high) for single player enemies so you don't really need to develop further... I just want to because the items are there. They're definitely pay to win items for use against players.

The problem now is resources, though. I struggle to get a couple of hundred thousand fuel and common metal resources for FOB platform upgrades, but you'd need tens of millions to develop everything - minor metals seem to be the most common requirement for weapons and each, of a certain grade at least, requires over 400,000. Plants, too; you get 20 units per plant and some items require over 14,000; that's 700 plants you have to pick! I've looked for a mod to give resources a modest bump per container, box or plant but I've only found one and it gives you ten times the amount, I think that's too much. I'd like 2.5x, personally; a round 50 per plant or 250 per box.

Apart from my kidnapping excursions, I've also been putting some effort into finding all of the resources on both maps. It's gotten to the point now where you can see gaps where there are no marked plants, drop a marker, go there and find more plants you've not previously found within 10 metres of your marker. The fact that D-Dog doesn't always call them out (but has a detection range of about 100 metres when he does work) and the Intel team will only alert you within 30 metres made it kind of hard to begin with, and you'll frequently find new plants in areas you've already visited a lot, but it's really satisfying when you pan over the map and see all the little markers appear and disappear as you sweep over them. Also there's a lot of Digitalis Purpurea in Angola/Zaire, the airport (and the immediate surrounding area) has the highest density by far, but I've only found like six or seven Digitalis Lutea. I'm not sure I need the latter in any great quantity now, though, but I'd have to check.

Oh and does anyone else remember the Fulton rocket launcher and non-lethal LMG that were added in the May update? I wonder what happened... Maybe they forgot they added them.

Well after staying off here for months and finishing other gams in the process i thought i'd finally knuckle down and finish mgs5 before the big rush of games coming out in the next few months.

Well i wish i hadn't bothered now, after a solid chapter 1 and some interesting side ops i finally crack on with chapter 2 and theres a handful of so so missions and some more variations of the same side ops as before.
I meant even the same locations were used for the new story missions :/

And the ending.... Well what can i say again :/ also quiet was one of the more interesting characters in the game and i was expecting something big to happen including her but again nothing.

What a shame for the true MGS series to end like this , I know there were problems in the camp and it all got very sour towards the end but i never expected the game to feel so unfinished and rushed.

I waited a while and picked it up quite cheap but feel sorry for whoever paid full price at release expecting a full game.
Base building and sending teams out on missions are mere distractions and not what the MGS series is known for.

Metal Gear SURV1V3 gameplay video has arrived.

Apart from pretty graphics and UI, the maps a recycled and dont felt like MGS V i love (especially the defense mode).

350 likes out of 4000 dislikes. Come on lets beat COD: Infinite Warfare for this.

Why exactly would they be fultoning whatever those things are anyway? Anyway it looks ok and probably would've worked as DLC with it all being recycled assets. Still not interested with it being online co-op though.

Back