Miata tuning - which is best?

• Thread starter Lightsped
  • 8 comments
So there are like 100 versions of the Miata. What are the diffrences? Which Miata is the best for the track? Which is lightest with best handling stock?

I think I ended up getting one of the older 1.6L models. I think those will be the lighter ones you run across. It did great on the 4hr Enduro.

Your best off with the "new" one (2004) even though its the heaviest as you won't need to spend 50k points on a chassis refresh plus its the most powerful...

Unless you just started the game and/or are dirt poor that is the one to go with. If your tight on cash go with the '00 that runs for 11k used, that is 5% less HP potential than the 2004 and is even a little lighter.

I like this setup:

Mazda Miata V-Special II

Mods: All. Race tires used.

Springs--- 8.5/9.4
Height--- 100/113
Bound--- 10/9
Rebound--- 5/4
Camber--- 2.3/1.7
Toe--- 0/-1
Stab--- 3/3
ASM 0
TCS--- 1
Brakes--- 9/8
Downforce--- 30/30 (Personally, I don't like a wing on this car)
LSD--- Torque 7
Accel 33
Decel 16

But there are soooooo many different Miatas. I see them in the used car lots and can not tell the differences in them all besides for the name.....

I haven't read any posts addressing the differences in the Miatas. What I see is the older ones seem to have 118 hp or 128 hp, stock. The newest ones have 147 hp stock - that's the one I gave you a Tune for, and its pretty fast. Try it and let me know what you think.

Pete

if anything in real life holds true, there should be some fairly important differences between years. aside from horsepower differences, the 94+ should be quite a bit more rigid than the earlier cars thanks to alot of chassis/suspension bracing mazda added, and stiffer again in 99'. it shouldnt show in game, but the drivelines are beefier in the 94+ models. you guys should try driving the car on stock suspension with good tires. you will be supprised at how well it acctually sticks to the ground. im personally hard pressed to squeeze too much more time out of the car with suspension improvements. that said i need to spend more time at it. but there are alot of reasons why your typical tune ups (more spring rate, less suspension travel, and huge swaybars) shouldnt hold much warrent on this car. mainly because the car was properly setup in stock form. albiet at speed less chassis roll would arguably be better, but this stands to reason that more caution and effort must be applied to properly tune these things. if its any help mazda sells the Spec Miata suspension kits that run 700lb front springs and 325lb rear. i have no idea what the acctual swaybar diameter is, but from what i understand theres alot of front, and not so much rear. this is mearly a suggestion for a starting point. that package is meant for a fairly low HP car.

Lightest is the 89-92 NA6A (1.6L) 930kgs 85kw (flywheel)

Heaviest is the NB8C 2001-4 1.8L 1100Kgs 113kw

I Sprint mine at the track with the following:
Sports Suspension (Koni adjustables/King springs), Mazdaspeed 1.5 way LSD
Microtech ECU, Tighe street/race cams (1400rpm idle, 7800rpm limit, 80RWKW)
Dunlop DO1's (semi slicks, DOT legal), roll bar, and extra underbody bracing, no interior carpets, speakers, centre console etc etc (lightweight stage 1)

here she is:

More info on MX5's / Miata's can be found on "the big board"

www.miatanet.com

or our Aussie board:

www.aus-cartalk.com

It doesn't matter what you choose they are capable track cars, hell I've even beaten Cobras and Vipers at track days with mine (not to mention Aussie V8's)

:) :)

Back