Michelin Becomes Official Tire Supplier and Technical Partner of GT Sport

Don't think I've seen someone refer to the physics as on ice before. GT feels like rails in comparison to Assetto.

They come and go. But the one thing they have in common is that they’re terrible at racing games.

I mean if he put half as much time into improving on GT than he put into that post, maybe it wouldn’t feel like ice to him.

But, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I suppose...

Don't think I've seen someone refer to the physics as on ice before. GT feels like rails in comparison to Assetto.

If you use RS tyres all the time then maybe. But on CS/SH tyres which most road cars are on the sense of grip is way off. Just compare LaFerrari in AC vs GT for example. If you look at replays, the mid corner speed is actually quite similar in two games, but the feeling of grip and FFB in GTS is always lacking. Not to mention taking off from a standing start, GTS LaFerrari just wheelspins like no tomorrow. If you put on TCS it just bogs the car. Now some of that could be PD not modelling the advanced electronic systems properly, but mostly it's the tyre's longitudinal grip that's lacking.

Comparing ACC vs GTS is also eye opening. I get a better sense of grip driving in the rain in ACC than with some Gr.3 cars on RH in GTS *cough*458 Gr.3*cough*.

Someone posted a comparison between Assetto and GT6 RUF Yellowbird around Spa a few years ago. From the replay it looks the same, but if you actually drive the car in both games it's night and day.

They come and go. But the one thing they have in common is that they’re terrible at racing games.

I mean if he put half as much time into improving on GT than he put into that post, maybe it wouldn’t feel like ice to him.

But, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, I suppose...

Nice one mate. I'm not the fastest I admit but I'm within 2 secs of the top times consistently. And ironically I'm better with low grip combos than the race cars in GTS (won top split FIA Nations race at Barcelona N500 last week). I can handle driving on ice, but that doesn't make it right.

Feel free to add me (just add GTP_ to my username) to compare times 👍

Last edited:
Yes yes the tire model is lacking in sophistication; the point has been beaten to death by people who play the other sims.

Still don't get why people who think GTS feels so horrible and have access to other sims don't just, you know, play those sims instead. Why bother with GTS? iRacing has the matchmaking system and the other sims have pretty much everything else GTS has so...

Yes yes the tire model is lacking in sophistication; the point has been beaten to death by people who play the other sims.

Still don't get why people who think GTS feels so horrible and have access to other sims don't just, you know, play those sims instead. Why bother with GTS? iRacing has the matchmaking system and the other sims have pretty much everything else GTS has so...

If they don’t have the ability to get on with GTS, they’ll be presented with an even bigger skill gap on “real sims”. 2 seconds off the pace on GTS would likely put you completely outside of contention on iRacing.

Always a scapegoat. Wheel users, ice tires, physics model... interesting thing that, some people just can’t admit to themselves that they’re the problem

Still don't get why people who think GTS feels so horrible and have access to other sims don't just, you know, play those sims instead. Why bother with GTS?

i still do not get why anyone would be insecure enough to care what might get said about any game .

life isnt perfect , no game is perfect and there is always room for improvments . infact if pd thought the tire model of theres was perfect this would be a pure ad deal. but it is not . pd themselves have pretty much said things can be made better, improved .

I do play other sims. All the old ISImotor games (rF, GTL, GTR2, Race07), LFS, AC/ACC, Automobilista and even oldies like Viper Racing, GPL and RBR. Though nowadays it's mostly just GTS and AC/ACC due to time constraints. I believe no game is perfect, so I play a wide variety of sims so I can experience the best bits of everything and cover weaknesses of each game with another. Also the reason why I don't crinkle my nose at arcade racers like most hardcore simmers. NFS, Driveclub, GRID, DIRT. I play them all because even if the physics are not fully sim I believe there are still racecraft and other things you can learn from each. Plus I love all kinds of cars and there are no single game that has all the cars in the world, so it's the only way to experience all of them.

I still play GTS because the gameplay atmosphere and experience is always top notch with PD. Graphics is one of the best. Online racing is so easy it converted me who was only an offline exclusive gamer before GTS to a regular FIA racer. I love the occasional oddball car selection and PD fictional tracks are also the best in the business. I could stick with AC, but I have no incentive to race online there. ACC is great, but my PC specs aren't strong enough to handle multi car racing, and again online matchmaking isn't so great. iRacing is too expensive because of its subscription model for my playstyle (jumping between lots of different cars and tracks, same reason why I haven't played RRRE).

So there you go. If I'm not so passionate about GT I wouldn't be writing these long winded posts. I just want GT to be the best there is, because Kaz/PD is probably the only racing dev able to do so (apart from FM/T10). They have everything in their pocket, but for some reason they're always too afraid of losing the casual crowd if they make the physics too realistic. When in fact, driving in AC is so much more intuitive than GT ever was. It's very frustrating when you see what smaller devs are capable of, and watch PD actively trying to sabotage their own physics engine in illusion of accessibility.

If they don’t have the ability to get on with GTS, they’ll be presented with an even bigger skill gap on “real sims”. 2 seconds off the pace on GTS would likely put you completely outside of contention on iRacing.

Always a scapegoat. Wheel users, ice tires, physics model... interesting thing that, some people just can’t admit to themselves that they’re the problem

Actually, I'm 4-5 seconds off in ACC in the challenge leaderboards. Probably could cut that to 2-3 seconds if I spend as much time in ACC as I do in GTS. I have no problem admitting I lack pace. I still enjoy driving GT3 cars in ACC more than GTS. And if you ask more knowledgeable people they will also tell you that GT physics is the further one from reality (not saying ACC physics is perfect either, but definitely closer to real).

And how fast are you exactly to make these sweeping comments? Maybe your rose tinted glasses is the problem ;)

Anyway. I don't want to take this thread further off topic, so happy to leave this here or if you want to continue take it to PM.

To like racing games, you don't have to want more realism than reality itself. It's the immersion and the feeling the game gives you reasons to stick to the game. Of course, the more realistic it is, the better it is, but I don't think everyone would enjoy a game that its too realistic. Remember, it's a video game, and liking a simulation is a combination of fun from the video game and immersion and reality-feeling from the simulator side. That's why I'm keep running with GT Sport, because it's give me what I want. Same for PCars 2 or Assetto Corsa. They have to be unique.

And I think the Michelin partnership can give us a better tire engine and feeling in months.

This is exciting news.
Potential... for a more realistic tire model.
I've run nothing but Michelin (and BFG, owned by Michelin) tires for the last ~25 years on my road vehicles... so a collaboration with Michelin brings much interest for me.
-exception... my Jeep SRT came from the factory with Pirellis... but Latitude Sport 3 will be going on soon.-

Also,
I think that people who make note they are fast in GTS, then insinuating/relating that to an underlying higher knowledge of anything real... is a truly delusional.
Now don't get too upset over that, the fast guys are truly skilled at the game, but in my experience a lot of what you can/cannot do in real life does not directly translate to in-game physics.
So somethings not right.

Therefore, I hope working with Michelin on tire modeling gets us closer.
And, I'm betting it will just make the fast guys even faster, and those like myself simply have more enjoyment... maybe it would allow me to be faster, either way I would certainly welcome more scrub/modulation/control/feel than the seemingly on/off switchs we have currently.

I was made aware of this video by @twitcher in the Circuit Experience Golded thread ... if PD can make cars behave on track like in the first minute of this video, I'm all in... and, the tire sounds are awesome to boot.

now I may have to go purchase PCars.

Forza Motorsport 4 had the same kind of partnership with Pirelli and it vastly improved the tire physics. I don’t see this partnership being any different.

I agree!! I hope that the community will understand one day that Gran Turismo and Forza Games are Arcade and never will come close to any real Sim. When somebody says that its not against these two titles. Thats just facts. And yes this Partnership is only for Marketing. If you wanna have a Sim on console you only have two Titles. AC & PC2. Otherwise you need a PC to get full access of all this beautiful simulations.

There's 2 separate issues here. One is how realistic a game feels, the other is how competitive a person is in relative terms. Someone can regard a game as feeling unrealistic without being deluded that it being more realistic will make them more competitive in relative terms.

For example, I find the fact that I often want to look somewhere off the screen, but can't, which is unrealistic. I've picked this because it's less contentious than tires, i.e. it's pretty much unarguably unrealistic. I'm pretty sure I would do faster and more consistent lap times if I could see the bit of track that I want to look at to judge my next action. However, I know that everyone else would also prefer to be able to look at the same bit of track I want to look at, and hence my relative performance probably wouldn't change. So in regarding it as unrealistic, I'm not blaming it for my relative performance.

So why don't I play iRacing, where I could have a better field of view? Cost, and the extra space needed for starters. And TBH it just never looks appealing as a game when I see people play it on YouTube.

Last edited:
It would take a lot more than billboards and a decal in the tuning menu to convince me this isn't just another marketing stunt. Remember the Yokohama partnership in GT6? Now 6 years later we still don't have something as basic as tyre pressure adjustments and I/M/O temps. Remember also the KW suspension partnership in GT6? Yup, even in GTS ride height is still backwards. PD has a long long history of teaming up with big names and then squandering their licensing potential. See GT5's NASCAR/WRC/Top Gear liceneses, the non existent Pikes Peak, and paucity of Lewis Hamilton content in GTS apart from his car and one track guide.

Looking at other sims, at the very least PD needs the following to even get their tyre model up to scratch:
- Tyre pressure adjustment
- I/M/O temps
- Brake temps affecting tyre temps
- Tyre temps that heat and cool down progressively instead of 1 second on/off
- Flatspots & punctures
- Better tyre flex modelling
- Better longitudinal grip
- Non generic compounds
- Radial vs bias ply simulation (for older cars)
- 5 point contact model (https://www.assettocorsa.net/forum/...oducing-the-5-point-tyre-model-for-acc.59307/)

Tyres are complex and even the best PC sims will likely never get them perfect, but anything is better than PD's 20 year old "Driving on Ice" simulator.
This. A proper tyre model with temperatures, flatspots, pressures, punctures and realistic grip is the feature I want most in GT Sport.

I was at Silverstone yesterday for BTCC and couldn't help but wonder if all the race stewards around the track will look like this after the October update...? :sly:

20190929_121912.jpg

Next week's update? There's an update before a World Tour event?
Heard rumblings of an update next week bringing the Toyota GT-One, but I guess there's still one more week left in October after the WT event.

Edit: Probably just interpreted this tweet wrong.

Last edited:
Wonder how the tyre physics will work with suspension physics. In the pic below, my car defaults to RS compund. All I've done extra, is lower the suspension to minimum ride height.
8287278634768565760_0.jpg

The historic cars have much larger sidewalls than modern tyres. Hence, all that lovely flex when cornering. Still, half the possible changes in car behavior, will still be missing due to PD not implementing track surface data(as per the latest gtplanet interview with Kaz).

I'd also like to know who they are partnering with, if at all, for suspension physics.

It's a partnership, not a sponsorship...
If it's nothing more than a sponsorship deal, which is extremely normal and common business practise, why wouldn't they simply state that?
There's nothing wrong with sponsorship deals is there?

Almost every sponsorship deal now is called a partnership. It makes for better public relations.

For instance, Kyle Busch and M&Ms;

M&Ms Website
Proudly supporting the #18 M&M’S Toyota Camry, Mars, Inc. and Joe Gibbs Racing have one of the longest, and most winning, partnerships in NASCAR.

58b5f84ebc668.image.jpg

I'm assuming he's not getting special access to cutting edge confectionary to gain a performance advantage here. It's just a sponsorship. Like the deal PD has with TAG Heuer for GT sport.

Could this partnership with Michelin mean an improved tyre model? Maybe. But maybe not.

Call me a pessimist but I don't think we'll see any change in the tire model for GT Sport. Maybe a physics tweak but what do they have to go off of in Sport?
There's no temperature first and foremost, there's no dynamic time, and as mentioned above, lack of variable surface traction. I would be surprised if they put that much effort to changing the whole game when they are spending most of their efforts on the next one.

I hope I'm wrong though. I do. The physics need to be reworked badly. Weight transfer and distribution along side of the lack of tire model and track detail or feedback through the wheel is not great to say the least. First thing that comes to mind is using a Gr.1 car without traction control, if you happen to spin in to the grass or whatnot, for example, trying to get the car to go straight from a standstill is a frickin chore. All it does is rev with the auto clutch and then when you do get traction, the car just spins around in circles. ??? That's not realistic one bit.

Call me a pessimist but I don't think we'll see any change in the tire model for GT Sport. Maybe a physics tweak but what do they have to go off of in Sport?
There's no temperature first and foremost, there's no dynamic time, and as mentioned above, lack of variable surface traction. I would be surprised if they put that much effort to changing the whole game when they are spending most of their efforts on the next one.

I hope I'm wrong though. I do. The physics need to be reworked badly. Weight transfer and distribution along side of the lack of tire model and track detail or feedback through the wheel is not great to say the least. First thing that comes to mind is using a Gr.1 car without traction control, if you happen to spin in to the grass or whatnot, for example, trying to get the car to go straight from a standstill is a frickin chore. All it does is rev with the auto clutch and then when you do get traction, the car just spins around in circles. ??? That's not realistic one bit.
Exactly. Whether yes or no anything happens this game, it's more about PD getting the physics data right for the future.

Back