Michelin Becomes Official Tire Supplier and Technical Partner of GT Sport

I don't know what the partnership means. But Tag Heuer is a partner and we get this, sure it's advertising but it enhances the experience too -

maxresdefault.jpg

Like I said, bread & circus... and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

I’m not saying the partnership is a bad thing. But if you think it’s not first and foremost a fiscal decision I don’t know what else to tell you. I mean look at that humongous Michelin banner forever on the settings screen. Lmao. It’s basically a pop-up for ad revenue. PD couldn’t make it any more on-the-nose if they tried.
What? There is nothing to 'fall' for.

Let's look at the situation here.
In one corner we have the CEO of a software company and a VP of a tyre company in a live broadcast, that will be recorded in history, at an official FIA event, telling us that the immense amount of data accumulated over many, many years by the tyre company will be implemented in the game.

And in the other corner is an anonymous random internet user trying to tell me that it's all superficial, simply a monetary decision that suits both parties, and nothing but a diversion.

Yeh, the choice is obvious.

What? There is nothing to 'fall' for.

Let's look at the situation here.
In one corner we have the CEO of a software company and a VP of a tyre company in a live broadcast, that will be recorded in history, at an official FIA event, telling us that the immense amount of data accumulated over many, many years by the tyre company will be implemented in the GAME.

And in the other corner is an anonymous random internet user trying to tell me that it's all superficial, simply a monetary decision that suits both parties, and nothing but a diversion.

Yeh, the choice is obvious.

See bold. You literally spelled it out for yourself, like lol

See bold. You literally spelled it out for yourself, like lol
You aren't offering any reasoning other than tin foil hat rubbish.

It's a partnership, not a sponsorship.
It's like a racing team saying they are partnering with Pirelli, but then only putting Pirelli stickers on their car while still using Goodyears.
It makes no sense.

There is no reason for either party to offer up the information that they will implement data from Michelin into the game if that isn't their intention.
They could have stood on stage and talked about anything and everything else for 10 minutes instead.
If it's nothing more than a sponsorship deal, which is extremely normal and common business practise, why wouldn't they simply state that?
There's nothing wrong with sponsorship deals is there?
You are essentially accusing them both of blatantly lying.

Now, while it's your perogative to think that way, what reasoning do you have to suggest they are deliberately lying?

The game is perfectly fine with AT and TC off, you’re just crap at the game

LMAO, I love the internet. I've done 31 races in sport mode, you've done over 300. And yet my DR and SR are both higher. So, umm, who's crap at this game?

You're a special kind of special.

Last edited:
In the sim racing industry, I think PD is lagging far behind it's competition with regards to tire modeling. Project Cars 2 worked extensively with Pirelli in designing it's tire model - which is light years ahead of GTSport in my opinion. To me, Project Cars 2 vehicles have a tire flex and weight transfer feeling, along with a gradual feeling of fall-off as you're reaching the tire's limits of traction in both cornering and braking. Oversteer moments are more intuitive, and easily corrected as long as you're not drastically over-driving the vehicle. Comparatively, GTSport's vehicles have very muted tires. I've noticed this at Willow Springs more than any other track. There's just so little feeling of what the tires are doing under heavy load in GTSport, whereas Project Cars 2 allows you to feel the car slightly slipping and sliding, and shifting weight from left to right, and front to back. Cars kind of dance around in PCars 2, whereas they just kind of slide very smoothly and muted in GTSport. The track is 10x more fun for me on PCars 2 (kinda boring in GTSport). I attribute this all to tire modeling.

I'm frankly shocked to read that PD has been guessing it's way through seven generations of a "real driving simulator," without ever working with a tire manufacturer to more accurately represent it's tire physics model. I think this is a major development in the evolution of Gran Turismo. Anyone convinced it's purely a marketing strategy aimed at advertisement is just being naive in my opinion.

And for the record, I'm not trying to represent one sim title as being superior to another. I enjoy playing just about every sim-racing title offered on the PS4 console. Each has it's pro's and con's. All are fun when you apply a fun attitude. I just think GTSport is taking a great step forward by entering into this partnership.

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/pir...ame-pirellis-motorsport-technology-franchise/

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/explore/

I think this approach has been an intentional one. Indeed purely for the joy of driving, I'd go with a single player in PC2 as the cars feel so much more alive. And as tire model implementation - it's way better. When it works.
But for the sake of racing and being on track with other players - GTS is more suited.

Your amount of races does not directly correlate to DR and SR.

Maybe gets your facts straight before you do Ad Hominem rubbish.

LMAO, get out of here with that pathetic attempt at obscuring the facts. The argument wasn't high number of races equals high DR. It's that having done over 300 races and having a low DR shows a lack of skill. And the lesson was that you shouldn't talk trash to anyone when your skill level is that low, because you'll only embarrass yourself.

You really didn't think that out very well, did ya? Do yourself a favor, don't become a lawyer.

Like I said, bread & circus... and you fell for it hook line and sinker.

I’m not saying the partnership is a bad thing. But if you think it’s not first and foremost a fiscal decision I don’t know what else to tell you. I mean look at that humongous Michelin banner forever on the settings screen. Lmao. It’s basically a pop-up for ad revenue. PD couldn’t make it any more on-the-nose if they tried.

I doubt money is changing hands, this is the reason they term it a Technicsl Partnership. The term sponsorship has not been used. Michelin gets to build brand awareness , PD gets gets it's expertise. The Same way Redbull don't pay Honda for engines,

What comes off it, I've no idea, we will have to wait and see, but it is in Michelin interest that it's a success, Brand reputation is very important to them.

Ooh, I like the sound of this. 👍
I guess in hindsight, a timing partner and a tyre partner is obvious.
My guess was that the special guest was going to be a CEO or someone relevant from a particular company, as opposed to a 'celebrity', but I didn't think of a tyre company.

Kaz: "We have been pursuing the perfection of car physics for in our simulation for 25 years now. We’ve always found that the most mysterious part of that is the tires.

"Michelin has a massive amount of technology relevant to tires and implementing that knowledge into the physics of Gran Turismo is going to allow us to have a more realistic simulation in the game ..."

VP of Michelin US: "When you take the amount of data we’ve collected over the years from different circuits, different vehicles, different tire compounds and marry that withsome of our simulation capabilities, it’ll bring a whole new dimension of strategy and ultimately improve the performance and realism of the game."

But sure, it's only a sponsorship deal.

It seems some people are unreasonably negative because ... reasons.
^^this

The publicity of TAG Heuer is honestly one of the best things that have happened, it is so elegant and soulful ... PD makes art with publicity and I would not mind seeing more of this.

If you don't mind the Michelin Man eating your soul every time you start a race, you might be in luck.

'basically worked off our imagination to determine how a tire should react within the physics model'

Can understand some meaning can be lost in translation. Yet, I can't help but wonder what else they used their imagination for to determine how something should react within the physics model in this real sim.

Still good though that they're trying to develop things further to try and get it closer to real life physics

Your amount of races does not directly correlate to DR and SR.
Number of races is a necessary, but not sufficient, condition for having a high DR. If someone has done very few races, then their DR would still be low, even if they had won every race. But when someone has done a sufficient number of races to make it possible to reach a high DR, but their DR is low, then their DR is likely a good reflection of their level of skill, though I would add the caveat that resets can distort this.

However, I'd add that I don't agree with the notion that higher DR equates to being more knowledgeable, as there can be many reasons why someone is slower. They might be extremely good at some aspects of the game, but poor at other aspects that have nothing to do with what is being discussed. This came up in a recent live stream where it was claimed that A drivers are poor at strategy, e.g. that they will pit in a race where they shouldn't be stopping. It's certainly true that the higher up the ratings you go, the greater the proportion of people who are getting that sort of thing right, but there are people at lower ratings who are excellent at strategy, and it's other aspects that slow them down. However, hairless_ape used the argument in response to a simple logical fallacy, a mere assertion, so while it's a weak argument, there is at least going to be a general correlation between DR and skill/knowledge, so it was a less weak argument than the assertion it was in response to.

I am looking forward to this, and hope it brings a final dose of realism to the feel of the game. As others have said it's surprising they have been effectively pulling the tire model out of their butt for 7 iterations, but that's PD.

LMAO, get out of here with that pathetic attempt at obscuring the facts. The argument wasn't high number of races equals high DR. It's that having done over 300 races and having a low DR shows a lack of skill. And the lesson was that you shouldn't talk trash to anyone when your skill level is that low, because you'll only embarrass yourself.

You really didn't think that out very well, did ya? Do yourself a favor, don't become a lawyer.

So you have a baseless opinion-which you have every right to, that's pretty much the way it works since the internet-but others have an opinion that has some theoretical basis in fact-there was an event where people really announced a partnership-and somehow your assumptions are superior? I'd suggest you stay away from law school as well. This has nothing to do with PD and Michelin, and everything to do with you, your avatar tells the story.

Feel free to check my SR and DR if you need to validate my opinion, my PSN is supahwally.

Back