Microsoft buys Activision Blizzard

• Thread starter Veinz
  • 131 comments
It would be interesting (and kinda entertaining) if the CMA just stuck to their guns. I don't see it happening, but I'd be interested in seeing how Microsoft/Activision handle not being able to sell their games in the UK.
The UK is their second largest Xbox market so I doubt they're going to just walk away, but at the same time this seems like it's pretty inevitable to happen so the question is more of just how much money the CMA will be able to shakedown Microsoft for before stepping aside and shouting "but we're not happy about all this, just so you know!"

Given Crashs decline after 4 was an overhyped mixed bag and Team Rumble trying and failing to capitilize on the MOBA scene. I doubt this means anything regardless the Activision franchises I care about. Microsoft win't put forward a new Crash or Spyro either way.

Last edited:
And as expected, the CMA is making loud squawking noises to try to save face and deflect from the fact that they eventually had no choice but to roll over and let Microsoft get what they wanted. Handing over cloud streaming rights to Ubisoft is basically loose change on the dresser compared to the value of having control over Activision-Blizzard's assets.

The CMA is lucky that this didn't turn into a government shellacking against the agency for knowingly wasting everyone's time with circular nonsense. The FTC didn't get that benefit for doing the same.

Last edited:

He's getting his golden parachute, but he is finally leaving. Now the industry can heal.
Until he inevitably gets a high paying, low profile executive job with some other game company looking to leverage his experience to appease their shareholders and potential investors. I wouldn't be surprised if Epic or even Tencent have a corner office already furnished for him.

And before anyone thinks that Kotick won't be hired by anyone else because of his reputation, let me remind you that ex-EA CEO John Riccitiello, who wanted to charge a dollar to reload your gun in Battlefield 3, went on to be the CEO of Unity and ultimately ran that into the ground too. The slime can never truly be scrubbed away entirely.

Tim Epic has far too much of an inferiority complex to ever allow someone like Bobby Kotick to join his company.

Last edited:

It was inevitable. I seen somewhere that Sledgehammer Games (The MWIII developers) have lost around 30% of their people and will have their offices closed down. I'm sure they got rid of a lot of dead weight but it's still a shame seeing so many lose their jobs, hopefully they get a good severance. Meanwhile that fat ****ing cockroach Bobby Kotick probably walked away with hundreds of millions after getting canned.

I have no faith in the COD series getting any better with MS taking over. If the launches of MS first party games like Halo, Forza, Redfall etc is anything to go by, then it will probably get worse. They currently suck at making games, buying out other publishers that also make mediocre games is not going to help in the long run, game pass will not save them.

Last edited:
While I doubt Microsoft is going to cry themselves to sleep, I suspect Bobby is laughing his way to the bank because of how much Call of Duty has been able to hide how bad parts of the company were. Blizzard sounds like it is an absolute dumpster fire right now completely unrelated to the sexual harassment and hostile work environment stuff; which is why Microsoft seems so keen to get rid of all of the management from it:
Odyssey was originally prototyped on the popular Unreal Engine, from Epic Games Inc., but Blizzard executives decided to switch, in part, because it wouldn’t support their ambitions for vast maps supporting up to 100 players at once.

Blizzard instead directed the Odyssey team to use Synapse, an internal engine that the company had originally developed for mobile games and envisioned as something that would be shared across many of its projects. But that led to significant problems as the technology was slow to coalesce, and Odyssey’s artists instead spent time prototyping content in the Unreal Engine that they knew would have to be discarded later, said the peop

When the Microsoft acquisition was finalized, some Blizzard staff were hopeful that they might be able to switch back to Unreal Engine rather than trying to finish the game on Synapse. In an interview at BlizzCon in November, Ybarra said that their new parent company would offer them the freedom to use the technology of their choice without having to go through the board of directors as in the past.

“The tech leaders will decide what the engines are,” he said.

So Ybarra publicly threw Microsoft under the bus for a disaster he likely had a hand in causing so Microsoft would have to clean it up; and Microsoft's assessment (probably shaped by the debacles Forza 8, Redfall and Starfield all turned into last year) was the game is in a hopeless state and didn't justify the years more money they would have to foot the bill for to maybe release it.

And as a result:

They found someone to drag him out.

Last edited:
Back